SF Bay Area geocachers

Working with local agencies to gather support for geocachers has been a topic of discussion with other organizations. The Michigan Geocaching Organization has at least one recent thread going on this topic, http://www.mi-geocaching.org/modules.php?n...iewtopic&t=2742

Their main page http://www.mi-geocaching.org/index.php also has some presentations that were used to explain geocaching to a local reginal parks authority. The two presentations are a short distance down the page at the "MRPA Delegates! Get Our MRPA Conference Information Here!" heading.

Perhaps, this could be of use in our efforts.

Hey Marky, I know the Calgary geocoin folks were looking into tracking other than Groundspeak at one point and I think they opted against tracking that way, but the coins are numbered and they'd probably be thrilled with free tracking.

They are welcome to calgary.geocoin.net, if they wish to use it.

--Marky

Marky,

The sigitem registry for tracking is a great idea! I have just started using a sig item with a tracking number. I didn't think that I would be able to ever track them but wanted to put something out there. You have the perfect solution! Put me down for a listing.

My sig items will probably be the rariest ones since I'm not exactly a power cacher like the rest of you. ;)

Hmmm, maybe I will take that class of WoW's, learn to make something that maybe has a cork or wine reference and number them so we can also track them.

Great services Marky!

I'd like to see them dated like wines, so we know which "vintage" of your signature items to collect... and you may hear comments like this at BADGES gatherings years from now:

"2005 was a good year for GeoBrowns"

;)

Now, everyone that has one of my shotglasses needs to return them so I can number them.  ;)

Sho-chu (sweet potato wine) is quite popular in Japan right now. Think of it as a sweeter version of Vodka, or a stronger sake, since it also contains rice. Perfect companion for your signature shotglass. B)

I registered the domain sigitem.com yesterday and promptly set up Workerofwood so that he could track his new handmade sig-tokens. The URL is http://wow.sigitem.com/.

This is an open invitation to anyone that wants to have sig items tracked (I just picked up a numbered Blanston12 button today, for example).

This is an invitation for sigitem.com or geocoin.net.

--Marky

Hey Marky,

Thanks for offering the service to track sig items. I would be interested in that for my benchmarks (I think that you have one already ;) ). What do you need in order to get started? I am thinking the URL of Butano.sigitems.com. Now I have to go out and find one of those WoW items.

Marky,

On behalf of everybody: thanks for the generous offer.

Now, everyone that has one of my shotglasses needs to return them so I can number them.  ;)

Mine is #1 B) Joani's is #2. B)

--Marky

Sorry, can't have mine, it's busy...

f0bbd464-133f-44ba-80e9-203ed03a2789.jpg

Back in the day, which was a very long time ago my beverage of choice was Glenn Farcless 104 proof single malt, smooooth it is.

Hmmm, maybe I will take that class of WoW's, learn to make something that maybe has a cork or wine reference and number them so we can also track them.

Great services Marky!

I'd like to see them dated like wines, so we know which "vintage" of your signature items to collect... and you may hear comments like this at BADGES gatherings years from now:

"2005 was a good year for GeoBrowns"

;)

LOL, I like that idea!!!

Edited by GeoBrowns
All I really need is a URL to an image of the item, or send me an email with the image if you don't have one online. The rest I can work out and you can fine tune later.

--Marky

I forgot one other item I need: home coordinates where your sig items are 'launched' from. Since all sig items launch from the home of the cacher, it gets mileage when it is put in its first cache.

--Marky

:huh::cry::cry: Bwahahahaha! I KNEW he couldn't wait! Just this morning he was saying how he was going to wait to hit 2,000 tonight. That was after he recently said he'd wait for the BADGES dinner Sunday to hit 2,000... And I still remember back when he said he'd give up on FTFs after #100.... Ha! :ph34r:

Congratulations, you maniac!!!!!!!!!

I bet you're going to miss your 2005 goal of *not* passing 3,000 in 2005 too!

Huzzah to WoW!!!

On the political front - mountain bikers are a group that seems to recognize the need for lobbying and activism to keep their interests intact. I'm very impressed by their site .

http://www.imba.com/

We could learn a lot from this sort of organizational skill.

I never saw anyone volunteer to cover the East Bay meeting - is anyone going to go?

...Sam

This is an open invitation to anyone that wants to have sig items tracked (I just picked up a numbered Blanston12 button today, for example).  I don't charge for this service.  Or, as an alternative, you can do what digitalfish and snowake have done, and just taken my PHP code and modified it to their own liking on their own web server.

I should just give up and ask you to host it for me, since I can't seem to find the time to dig into the code enough to figure out why my implementation is hosed. Not only are the distance calcs wrong, but the search function throws a nasty SQL exception, and...

One of these days! I just want to thank Marky for this excellent contribution, both in hosting and providing his application for others to use. Having trackable sig items is slick, and I really appreciate the "donation" and support.

Here's wishing everyone a great weekend - and hope to see many of you Sunday!

Billy

polymer clay, is that the clay that comes in little blocks that you can buy a craft stores? I have a block of clay made by Sclupey.

What would the class cover?

FIMO and Sculpy are both Polymer clays, I prefer FIMO. The class will focus on the basic technique, and we'll probably make the Groundspeak logo as a project.

I taught this technique professionally for a couple of years, and can assure ANY of you that you can do this. It's a fun way to make a unique and colorful sig item.

Congrats WoW for hitting 2000 ahead of schedule!

We had exchanged emails briefly about milestones (my upcoming 1k, and his 2k) and he wasn't even sure if he was going to hit 2000 before BADGES....

Can't let one's guard down with WoW, he always seems to have his caching Force in reserve to bump it up a notch on demand. :ph34r:

I don't generally provide congratulations for numbers milestones, since I don't much care for number-puncher caching, and that kind of feedback just encourages it.

But I think kudos should go to mmp for solving and finding Neutrino, the hardest math cache I have ever placed. I am impressed.

Congrats, mmp!

...now THAT is truly a rare achievement. Congrats to mmp! Now go back to figuring out that OTHER difficult puzzle will ya?

Congrats WoW for hitting 2000 ahead of schedule!

We had exchanged emails briefly about milestones (my upcoming 1k, and his 2k) and he wasn't even sure if he was going to hit 2000 before BADGES....

Can't let one's guard down with WoW, he always seems to have his caching Force in reserve to bump it up a notch on demand. :ph34r:

hey, who expected a zillion new caches to pop up, eh? It was a conspiracy.....

muuuust.....find.....newwwww.... cachesssss.......

I don't generally provide congratulations for numbers milestones, since I don't much care for number-puncher caching, and that kind of feedback just encourages it.

But I think kudos should go to mmp for solving and finding Neutrino, the hardest math cache I have ever placed.  I am impressed.

Congrats, mmp!

Fizzy, I'm thinking that you ought to make Tylenol/aspirin/Ibuprofin bottle as your signature item. Besides relieving headaches from your puzzles, it serves as a reminder that the bottle/puzzle needs to be "twisted" first before use. :ph34r:

Very cool segment on Bay Area Backroads. I've got it on my TiVo, so I was able to back up, pause, etc. Pretty good "coverage" of geocaching, I'd say. Congrats to the team that was on the air - your 15 minutes of fame! Hey, I got 1-3 seconds of fame: I caught a glimpse of a Gotwake thermometer-compass on the hood of the Jeep in a couple of shots... :lol:

It's so funny - I've had my TiVo set up with keywords "geocache" and "geocaching" for about two years - and not ONCE has it every encountered a program with those words in the title or description. So I get the notice about tonight's airing, and go to set it up... and whaddya know - it's already scheduled for me. TiVo rules.

Hope to see some of you on Sunday!

Billy

Very cool segment on Bay Area Backroads. I've got it on my TiVo, so I was able to back up, pause, etc. Pretty good "coverage" of geocaching, I'd say. Congrats to the team that was on the air - your 15 minutes of fame! Hey, I got 1-3 seconds of fame: I caught a glimpse of a Gotwake thermometer-compass on the hood of the Jeep in a couple of shots... :lol:

It's so funny - I've had my TiVo set up with keywords "geocache" and "geocaching" for about two years - and not ONCE has it every encountered a program with those words in the title or description. So I get the notice about tonight's airing, and go to set it up... and whaddya know - it's already scheduled for me. TiVo rules.

Hope to see some of you on Sunday!

Billy

Did anyone tape the show?

But I think kudos should go to mmp for solving and finding Neutrino, the hardest math cache I have ever placed. I am impressed.

Congrats, mmp!

Yes, mmp was with several of us as we tracked down The Little Pictures puzzle tonight, and we were able to find several of the stages thanks to the radiant glow he gave off after having solved that one! :lol:

anybody catch the bit about his new travel bug ending up "anywhere in the world"? I'm wondering if after showing the tracking number on the air, will it end up EVERYWHERE in the world????

Hey Robert - believe it or not, I got a call from your long-lost (at least to geocaching) brother! He has finally offered to archive his missing caches. :lol:

Oops, this thread is about the BAB TB. It will be coming to the event on Sunday. I had some kindly geocachers mail it back from Colorado.

The Bay Area Backroads thing will be my first test of TiVo To Go. I'll see if I can get it into a format where everyone can see it.

I TiVo'd it too (as I do for BAB every week) and I'm in the process of extracting and uploading it for everyone to see. But I may not post it until AFTER the event as incentive for everyone to go. :-)

The SCC meeting that I was planning to attend on Wed. night may be on Monday night instead (or this may be another meeting entirely, not sure yet). Anyway, I'm going to both if needed. Call me if you want to join me...

408-781-0991

Just got confirmation that it will be on Wednesday night after all.

Here's what's up for the meeting (copy of the email I recieved):

"Steve,

Thank you for helping us and we look forward for your input.

Yes, Wednesday night is the correct day for the SCC meeting. I don't know what I was thinking.

Wednesday night's meeting is called a Workshop. This means we are not on their Agenda. We have a scheduled time on their Agenda next month. This would be an excellent time to make a presentation.

I would like to suggest you or Steve to attend this month to get a feel about the Commissioner's and Directors opinions. Meet with Ranger Ken Silveria next Thursday at FOSTP's monthly meeting and get his opinion about the policy being written on Geocatching. Then make a presentation to the Commission giving your suggestions and soulutions to their issues.

FOSTP meets this Thursday night at the Santa Teresa Golf Course Upper Club House at 7:00 pm.

Attached is the Commission Agenda. The time and location is on the attachment.

Great to have you on board.

Mike Boulland"

Edited by workerofwood
As for a place to hold polymer clay classes, there used to be Almaden Valley communuty center across the street from the air raid siren locationless that ProTech logged and the Jake's Play Lot cache (in normal terms, that's close to Camden and Almaden Expwy.) but they tore it down and are currently building the replacement.

Hi, the Vineland Branch Library community room that I mentioned is the interim location of the Almaden Community Center.

I found out that the Vineland cost is $35/hour (yikes!) but if people are willing to pitch in to help cover the cost it might work out. :D

I've arranged to show (and will bring) a videotape of the BAB segment to the event tomorrow night. Boulter, yes, please wait before making it available here.

-Fy of TeamJiffy (the female in the blue jacket - one of the two that GeoBrowns probably didn't recognize) :D

I've spent the last few hours trying to get it down to a reasonable size. I've got a 178MB MPEG2 movie, but I can't seem to find any free software to do the conversion to anything else. Windows Movie Maker keeps crashing. Anybody else want a crack at it? Email me and I can give you the URL of the big file.