SF Bay Area geocachers

Congrats Bullit, at this speed, I don't think we'll be able to catch up, you are always about 60-80 ahead of us.

Your daily average since you started is higher than all but 3 or 4 people in the area, keep it up and you'll pass most everyone. ("Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first." - Jack Burton) :lol:

And congrats, speeding Bullit. :(

Edited by Team Nazgul
Congrats Bullit, at this speed, I don't think we'll be able to catch up, you are always about 60-80 ahead of us.

Your daily average since you started is higher than all but 3 or 4 people in the area, keep it up and you'll pass most everyone. ("Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first." - Jack Burton) :laughing:

And congrats, speeding Bullit. :laughing:

Uh, yeah, guess it's pretty bad when you spend your Anniversary caching like we did in Concord/Walnut Creek on Sat. But it was just such a purdy sunny day not be outside! Dinner at the Pyramid Alehouse and one last cache in the parking gargage completed that romantic day! :laughing:

Edited by GeoBrowns

Here are the top bay area cachers based on caching rate:

Caches per day:

1. 8.122 - TeamAlamo
  2. 5.143 - DavidT21 & Fisherwoman
  3. 5.029 - budd-rdc
  4. 4.850 - GeoBrowns
  5. 4.745 - workerofwood
  6. 4.216 - bthomas
  7. 4.014 - Marky
  8. 3.780 - anotherone
  9. 3.739 - dandm
  10. 3.561 - digitalfish
  11. 3.465 - MotorBug
  12. 3.027 - WalruZ

I'm not even in the top five. I'm practically normal! :laughing:

--Marky

Thanks all! Bughound hit 200 this weekend as well and a big congratulations to Scott on 500! He is on quite the lunchtime rampage.

It was almost the end of my caching days today:

I was so absorbed with my new toy, as recommended by Marky(yes, it's all his fault :laughing: ), that I didn't even notice the date. So, while having forgotten the dreaded V-day, purchased an expensive new toy for myself the day before and hiking up in Fremont Older when I really should be at work, I made the fatal error of calling home to ask my wife for my Ceara's First Puzzle coords off of an envelope in the kitchen.

Fortunately I was able to make good with a set of pasta rollers for the stand mixer, some very bad flowers and nice chocolates.

And now I am planning the morning's hike :laughing:

Edited by bullit

As noted earlier, I have gotten a couple of my work buddies into caching... The latest one, mfc61, only has 160 finds. Of course, he started on January 4th. That gives him a daily average of 3.809, which makes him almost as normal as Marky! :mad:

And another EarthCache from WoW! We are a lucky bunch! :(

Thanks in advance, WoW! I know we'll enjoy it! Now if this rain would let up...

-TPS-

As noted earlier, I have gotten a couple of my work buddies into caching... The latest one, mfc61, only has 160 finds. Of course, he started on January 4th. That gives him a daily average of 3.809, which makes him almost as normal as Marky! :(

And another EarthCache from WoW! We are a lucky bunch! :mad:

Thanks in advance, WoW! I know we'll enjoy it! Now if this rain would let up...

-TPS-

Yeah, I have to blame TPS for getting me into this obession...

Thanks Scott :D

Jeff

As noted earlier, I have gotten a couple of my work buddies into caching...  The latest one, mfc61, only has 160 finds.  Of course, he started on January 4th.  That gives him a daily average of 3.809, which makes him almost as normal as Marky!  :mad:

I blame the recent rains for dropping below a "4" average :huh:

But my favorite stat since I started caching: lost 6 pounds !! Those hikes through Freemont Older and Monte Bello really have an effect! (And walking instead of stuffing my face at noon helps too, I'm sure)

My most embarasing stat : find/hidden ratio :huh: (but I'm not near the top of that list either :P )

Edited by mfc61
IGNORE LISTS!  Yes, we have ignore lists!  Now I can finally get some of the caches off my nearest list.  How fun!

--Marky

Boy, that felt good to ignore some caches that are close to home...

(EDIT - questions deleted thanks to the link to the thread with the FAQ)

Edited by Team Nazgul
Wooo Hooo!  Finally!

All of a sudden(after a few clicks here and there) about 10 caches that I refuse to find have completely disappeared from my queries,  ignorance is bliss!

What a great update to the site. Big thanks!

I still think they show up on PQ's.

You'll want to go through all your PQ's and check the "Are not on my ignore list" checkbox. It is unchecked by default.

--Marky

Hmmm, wonder who's/what's #1 on everybody's ignore list...well, I don't wonder too much actually, I've got some fun ahead playing with the new features.

I have a pretty good idea what #1 is, at least around where I and Marky and WoW live. It would be interesting to have access to Groundspeak's database and browse through it so see which caches were quickly put onto ignore lists by many people.

I'm sure that could also lead to interesting discussions as to why certain caches were commonly ignored as well.

Have you noticed the images on the gc.com home page?  It looks like they're changing from time to time and being taken from what users upload.  You can link to the log if you're curious.  Pretty cool.

The images change every time you refresh the page.

Edited by GeoBrowns

GeoBrowns, that's a great idea. If a cacher gets too many ignores, he's archived!

Thanks, bullit. It's interesting that you got the significant other pasta rollers. You do know that they can be used with polymer clay as WOW showed. Is that your plan? :) And for the Kitchen Aid no less.

I also noticed that I wasn't in the top bay area cachers based on caching rate. If you do a listing of the bottom dozen, I should be there since I am probably at a half cache per day. :rolleyes:

An important quick note to all puzzle hiders (and cache hiders in general). Jeremy has finally stopped allowing the illegal use of the embedded <body> tag. This means that any puzzle that used the background image as part of the solution needs to be re-vamped. Also, for any cache hiders that used this hack, you will probably need to update your cache page to make them pretty again.

--Marky

The big surprise planned for the next BADGES dinner (South Bay this time), has just been confirmed. Local show, Bay Area Backroads, will be airing a piece on geocaching during our dinner time. We have arranged with Brittania Arms to watch it on their big TV. You'll see some of the BADGES organizers as they take host Doug McConnell geocaching around San Francisco. We're expecting the piece to be a very positive overview of geocaching in the Bay Area. Sign up for the dinner if you haven't yet done so. :ph34r::P:(

I'm not sure how I feel about ignore lists.

ditto. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean that they're not there.

Still, there are some caches within my clean areas that I have more or less 'ignored', and I usually filter out puzzles in my standard PQs. Sometimes I attempt one of these, but I have to be in just the right mood.

I think that there are two sorts of Geocachers - the 'clean map' types, and the 'pick and choose' types. (which sort are you?) If you're a 'clean map' type, then the ignore list is a little like cheating. If you're a 'pick and choose', then what difference does it make? -- other than perhaps making it a little easier to pick and choose.

[walruz now passes along the handle of the spoon so someone else can stir the pot]

[bucky takes the spoon handle from walruz and dips in the pot]

I'm a 'clean map' type, but in at least one situation the ignore list really comes in handy. If I feel that my caching experience is degraded by hunting a particular cache, or having to deal with the fall out of hunting a cache (in the form of snarky emails, say), then I will use Groundspeak's computer to filter out the cache from my pocket queries. Saves me the step of using my computer to delete before I load it into the GPSr every single time I run and load -- and after all, colloquially, what is time? Sure its still there, but I don't have to see it in my Mapsource preparation, cachemate list, or on my GPSr.

Edit for pseudo-witty use of pseudo-html tags.

Edited by BuckyDef
I'm not sure how I feel about ignore lists. In some ways it feels like cheating. Why should I ignore a cache just because it seems 'hard'? Isn't that part of the challenge? They can't all be lamp post micros, you know. :-)

I don't have any caches on my ignore list because they are difficult. Off the top of my head, I can think over several other reasons people may want to ignore certain caches:

- They may be boycotting someone's caches like Nostrada and others are doing, for any number of reasons.

- The caches may be morally objectionable to some people.

- The cache location may be someplace questionable, like past a no trespassing sign, someplace gross, or someplace with hazards.

- The cache may be in ill-repair but still active despite that, like Bugs is/was.

- In Workerofwood's case, it lets you get your own earthcaches out of your face without having to resort to logging finds on them.

Those are just some examples. I fall into the clean map category myself but there are just a handful of caches in the area that I don't want to do for various reasons, and none of those involve how challenging the cache is for me. YMMV.

Besides, you have to make the decision to manually add the ignored caches to your list, and it's not like it makes the caches go away or makes you forget that they're there. I don't see it as a cheat, but rather as just another custom filter option.

Wouldn't a nice feature be if one gets too many ignore marks, they get archieved?!!

That would probably knock me out of Geocaching altogether. :( I'll probably rank up near the top in the number of my caches ignored. I would hope so, anyway. I like the idea of the feature, though. It allows me to make the puzzles more challenging, and refuse to give hints (or just give infuriatingly cryptic hints) without guilt, knowing anyone can just ignore my caches and not suffer from an uncleared page.

I am definitely of the pick and choose type. Maybe if I lived in some geographic area where there were only 100 caches within a days driving distance I would be trying to clear them all, but around here you'd have to be nuts to keep that mindset. If not, going for all those 1/1 micros will soon make you so.

Edited by The Rat
An important quick note to all puzzle hiders (and cache hiders in general). Jeremy has finally stopped allowing the illegal use of the embedded <body> tag. This means that any puzzle that used the background image as part of the solution needs to be re-vamped. Also, for any cache hiders that used this hack, you will probably need to update your cache page to make them pretty again.

--Marky

This could also be sad for puzzle solvers! I've got about 30 puzzles solved and not yet visited. Only a few of these used embedded code. Still, it will be sad if they get archived before I've actually had a chance to go log them.

I'm not sure how I feel about ignore lists.

ditto. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean that they're not there.

Just because a cache is listed, doesn't mean that the lister intends it to be found, or that it is even there at all. Also, there are some hiders that refuse to learn how to learn from the community at large. I like being able to make these "go away". Since it's my personal list, maybe I haven't put any caches on it at all. Or maybe all of yours are on it. Only I know. All you know is what I have and haven't logged an attempt on, just like before.

Like others, I've been filtering caches for a long time. My filters change daily. What's great about the ignore list is that if I don't plan on attempted the cache even, the ignore list is a way to free up the spot it was taking in my pocket query. And that's really the only important thing to me.

--Marky

Congrats to Nazgul on 900 today!

Unfortunately he had to work today and missed a FTF for the milestone, which I had ignored because I was sure he'd be up there at the crack after his shenanigans last night... see here :surprise: kinda funny how it is becoming so easy to out think yourself around here.

BTW where is the precious these days???

Edited by bullit