SF Bay Area geocachers

Wow! It's approved! Go and get your very own Earthcache folks!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6f-f26f6d7d2d8d

Ohh, cool. Brad's current job site is off Page Mill and Foothill, I'll see if he can get off early like around 2:30 tomorrow so we can head up there, sounds real intersting.

And by the way, edited to add congrats on the first Calif. earthcache according the the Earthcache site!

Edited by GeoBrowns
Well... having hiked that trail numerous times and already experienced the geologic features it is an awful long way to drive to grab a number off of a bolt but I'm sure someone will go tonight. :unsure:

Los Trancos OSP is open from dawn to 1/2 hour after dusk. I don't think a FTF is worth setting a poor example of how geocachers should behave. Instead, I think you should meet up with me at 8:00am tomorrow "on my way to work". That is when I plan on getting there after dropping Joey off at Foothill. :unsure:

--Marky

Probably posted before but ...

For those interested here's the website explaining the "Earthcache" concept and listing all Earthcaches whether released or under development. Note that the National Park Service is a sponsor of this concept along with the Geological Society of America. They even offer small grants to promote the concept to GSA members.

Pretty cool that the NPS is involved given their skepticism to Geocaching in the past. No doubt the "virtual only" rule was a deal maker.

/Lefty

http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/

Instead, I think you should meet up with me at 8:00am tomorrow "on my way to work". That is when I plan on getting there after dropping Joey off at Foothill. ;)

I was thinking about you guys as I drove up 280 this morning and longingly looked over to my left..... :ph34r: .

Someday you'll have to explain to me how that qualifies as "on my way to work"! :D

Enjoy the trip. Looking forward to the logs.

Somebody will need to tell me how long it takes to get the spot off of 280 so I can plan a trip up there either on my way in or way home one day soon.

Check out http://c3po.Groundspeak.com/ , which appears to be the geocaching beta site. New look, but the most interesting thing I've found so far is bookmark lists which are sharable.

Well, I am somewhat computer lingo illiterate so I don't understand the beta thing but I do like that site so far! Every time you retrun or refresh the page, the images change too.

Back to checking it out.

I like the avatar. I keep hoping to find the actual wine in a cache, not just the leftover cork. :D

Where is the ignore list functionality on the c3p0 server? I'm curious to see the implementation. I'd be very surprised if it's as good as I'd like.

Edited by Team Nazgul
Check out http://c3po.Groundspeak.com/ , which appears to be the geocaching beta site. New look, but the most interesting thing I've found so far is bookmark lists which are sharable.

I like that the site has NOT changed that much, mostly just cosmetics. But I do like the favorites and ignore lists. Now if they could just set up the ignore lists by cacher...

Most of the cachers I want to ignore aren't that prolific of hiders, so it's not that big a deal to just individually ignore caches. Right now, I think I only have 6 caches on my ignore list. The other 2500+ nearby caches are on our list to find. :D

--Marky

Forgot this in my log today: I'd like to say a big thanks to WoW for all the work involved in placing and getting approval for the Earthcache. I had a great time this morning and I would highly recommend a trip up there to everyone! Take the time to stop at each marker and take in all of the natural features. Thanks WoW!

I too was in the middle of going thru my caches and adding them to a bookmarked list and all of a sudden it reverted back to looking like the regular geocaching and I kept getting an error when clicking on a cache.

What did u do bullit? :D I liked that bookmarking feature! The ignore list I never got to.

I was looking at the EBRPD website and came across the meeting minutes. One of their latest meetings discusses geocaching.

http://www.ebparks.or

g/district/PAC/11_22_04m.htm

This was a park advisory committee meeting which is very different from the Board of Directors of EBRPD. In general I would expect the PAC to be more cache friendly than the Board of Directors but unfortunately they do not have any authority. I am receiving agendas every month and will get the word out if and when it comes before the board.

On another note, I'll be listing soon an event to be held on April 1. It will be a low key thing at a pizza joint in the Dublin/Pleasanton area, with the main purpose of collecting travel bugs and fellow Geocachers that would like to join me in a trip toThis Event In Ventura I'll only be at the pizza thing for about an hour(around 7pm+), and then plan to drive to around Bakersfield on Friday night, and complete the journey to the Event on Saturday morning. contact me if you're interested in going to Ventura (Carpool, or Convoy)

On another note, I'll be listing soon an event to be held on April 1. It will be a low key thing at a pizza joint in the Dublin/Pleasanton area, with the main purpose of collecting travel bugs and fellow Geocachers that would like to join me in a trip toThis Event In Ventura I'll only be at the pizza thing for about an hour(around 7pm+), and then plan to drive to around Bakersfield on Friday night, and complete the journey to the Event on Saturday morning. contact me if you're interested in going to Ventura (Carpool, or Convoy)

Any CVC folks interested in this.

OOPS quoted that to the wrong thread, Sorry all.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I don't agree that posting to a thread is spamming, sorry if I hurt your feelings

Maybe you could explain how my postings quilify as spamming?

You know, "Spamming" has become such a hated word in the internet, maybe you should use it in the right context before accusing in a public forum someone you don't even know. I feel that each of the threads where I posted my note have their own relevency to the info I wrote.

The postings I put up are no different than if I had gone to a few different groups of people that were attending a gathering, and spoken to each group about the same thing. If I'm at an Event and walk arround to all the little groups to introduce myself, explain my Gamecards and pass out a few free ones, is that spamming too? I don't know another way to get the attention af each of the regional groups all at one time so I had to post individually.

OK so maybe the post in the San Diego thread was beyond my scope, but this is a FORUM not email so I hardly think that qualifies any of my actions as SPAM. Once again though, I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feelings

I don't agree that posting to a thread is spamming, sorry if I hurt your feelings

Maybe you could explain how my postings quilify as spamming?

I missed something too.... How does posting some more information in a variety topic spamming? hmmmm..... maybe he was just kidding you perhaps? I would like to think so atleast.

Edited by Camel680

Ummmm.....

First, it's not MY Event, I'm just trying to see if anyone else is interested in going.

Second, It was early in the morning so maybe I was a little confused but I believe I only posted it in THREE different forums, each covering a different region, and each covering a region that may not already be aware of the Event that's going.

It may appear at first glance that I posted this to that many forums, but if one were to take the time to read what I was posting, they would see that I was discussing many different topics last night in several threads. If my name appeared at the top of eight different threads when you all woke up this morning I apologize that I couldn't get to sleep until after five, and that I am fairly new to spending much time in the forums, and have found many different topics that I think are interesting and of which I have some opinion to offer. I like MY spam fried by the way.

I'm attending a company party in SF this weekend and <gasp> we found someone to watch the kids overnight. This is a memorable event and should be celebrated as it happens about once every other year.

Anyone have a couple of "must do" San Francisco caches for us to check out? We've hit "Sounds of the Bay" but little else in the city up North.

Thanks. /Lefty & wife - SANS KIDS

Anyone have a couple of "must do" San Francisco caches for us to check out?  We've hit "Sounds of the Bay" but little else in the city up North.

We loved Walruz's Union Square

Parrot's Perch

Secret Trailhead #6 - San Francisco by Marky & Joanie which you can then follow up to Take-a-Peak

Those are just a few that stood out the one day we were up there, we want to go a few more times and hit the Golden Gate Park and Presidio areas next time.