SF Bay Area geocachers

That area by the powder house on the April trail was getting a major overhaul last time I was there about 8 months ago. It looked like hell and I think they were using bulldozers to push the mud around. Hopefully if you went to the cache by the old powder house you made it down to the bend in the April trail where the wood mining building with the raised track trestles is! I think it's one of the cooler mining remnants left in the park.

Duh me, I keep saying Power when I really mean PowDer. :D

We didn't have a chance to check out the raised track trestles, but since we've done only about half the caches in this park, we'll be back and check it out. WoW has told me months ago about how fun Almaden Quicksilver is, and I was not disappointed.

I'll pass along your congrats to atc, since he rarely posts on the forums (must be busy working on another puzzle).

This is off-topic, but here's a photo of the Blue Heron that the Los Gatos Creek Trail CITO group saw on the return trip:

334713aa-3777-4b44-b41c-9447764d3eb7.jpg

Hey, that shot turned out great! Glad you had the camera, I always end up leaving mine in the car at the wrong times, this time with hands collecting garbage didn't think I'd need it but that spot and the bird proved me wrong! Did the shot with him taking off turn out?

Did you check out the group shot Tony (Fogheads) took of us? Leave to him to always have his camera ready!

I wasn't able to get the Heron-in-flight shot, because the tree blocked my view when he was spreading his wings, and by the time I got the bird in the viewfinder, he was flying along the dam ridge and branches got in the way. Oh well.

Thanks to your pointer, I just checked Thefogheads gallery for our CITO group photo. Nice to have some momentos from the fun event!

Upcoming BADGES dinner in the South Bay

Mark your calendars for the 6th BADGES dinner, this one to be held Sunday, February 27 starting at 5:00pm in Cupertino. An event cache page has been submitted so details will follow shortly.

Plan on great fun and surprises. See you there!

Ok, so Nazgul mentioned something in passing today that just keeps rolling around my cache-addicted brain. Anyone else think it would be fun to take a 3-day road trip up north this spring, and hit a bunch of fun caches... culminating in the Project Ape cache?

Certified lunatic cachers only I'm sure... but that includes most of us. Maybe caravan in a few cars? We could visit the Original Stash placque on the way as well (been there, it's a fun find)...

I would be very interested in this. :blink:

I'm not certified... :unsure: But, I am certifiable! :blink:

Sounds like a lot of fun!

-TPS-

(The Petoskey Stones)

Ok, so Nazgul mentioned something in passing today that just keeps rolling around my cache-addicted brain. Anyone else think it would be fun to take a 3-day road trip up north this spring, and hit a bunch of fun caches... culminating in the Project Ape cache?

Certified lunatic cachers only I'm sure... but that includes most of us. Maybe caravan in a few cars? We could visit the Original Stash placque on the way as well (been there, it's a fun find)...

I would be very interested in this. :unsure:

I'm not certified... :blink: But, I am certifiable! :blink:

Sounds like a lot of fun!

-TPS-

(The Petoskey Stones)

Starting up a new thread for this...

Has anybody looked into going for these two long unfound ones... they used to have a backcountry day that allowed closer access by vehicle although the last time I tried I wasn't able to pull anything up on that. Also, it looks like bikes are only allowed so far out there.

Paradise Lost by dmaclach (GCJ9XV)

Jackrabbit Lake by Semi-Hex(GCJA78)

Edited by bullit

I heard that they do not intend to open up Coe's backcountry to vehicles this year. But that could be a rumor, I don't know. Woof! and I figured these backcountry Coe caches were best done as a nice, long 4-5 day backpacking trip.

Now if I could ever reasonably take some time off work...

I heard that they do not intend to open up Coe's backcountry to vehicles this year. But that could be a rumor, I don't know. Woof! and I figured these backcountry Coe caches were best done as a nice, long 4-5 day backpacking trip.

I have a coworker that is a volunteer with the park and can occasionally get permission to drive in some distance before backpacking for several days in the park. The next time he goes I'm going to volunteer my Jeep as his shuttle. :)

I heard that they do not intend to open up Coe's backcountry to vehicles this year.  But that could be a rumor, I don't know.  Woof! and I figured these backcountry Coe caches were best done as a nice, long 4-5 day backpacking trip. 

I remember going into Henry Coe with atc in his SUV years ago when they did open up a day to let vehicles in. We encountered many ill-prepared people driving in there. We saw a VW Bus get stuck near a creek, because the driver didn't realize that by dipping the vehicle's low hanging muffler in the water, he plugged the exhaust. :) He was blocking a lot of cars trying to get in. Luckily, we were on our way out when we saw that happen.

So maybe it's not such a bad thing if they don't open it up anymore. I hope to visit the caches in that park one of these days. I hear there's one that involves a killer hike, GCFD2F.

I heard that they do not intend to open up Coe's backcountry to vehicles this year.  But that could be a rumor, I don't know.  Woof! and I figured these backcountry Coe caches were best done as a nice, long 4-5 day backpacking trip. 

I have a coworker that is a volunteer with the park and can occasionally get permission to drive in some distance before backpacking for several days in the park. The next time he goes I'm going to volunteer my Jeep as his shuttle. :D

Might you have room in the back for me? ;)

--Marky

Might you have room in the back for me?  :o

Well, it's way too early to tell if I could even do it, but if I can sure, we can always stuff people in or tie them to the bumpers or whatever. :o

I'll ride up on the roof or I'll bring a tow rope and you can drag me along behind you guys :huh:

Quick question...someone here ever break their Garmin screen? How do we go about replacing it? Does it involve sending it in? (Gulp!) We just have a small crack in the corner.

I would call Garmin, they "supposedly" have a great customer service dept.

--Marky

They are very good at approving RMAs and often do free repairs. They have to be good at this because it is so often required! I have an RMA open to send mine in for a 6 item checklist of repairs (all free), just haven't been able to pry it loose from my clenched hand yet.

Bullit, I have a dynamic recovery rope rated for 28,000 pounds. If you hold onto a boulder reeeeeally strong while I stomp on the gas, we may be able to launch you right up the hill ahead of us! :o

As to Garmin's service, you might check with motorbug who just got a replacement unit back from them if I remember right. Also, anecdotal evidence suggests the support folks have some leeway on how much they charge, or doing repairs for free, depending on the details and perhaps customer attitude...

Looks like Kealia and I will be in Tahoe this weekend, anyone else heading up there? Snow cache event? hmmmm?

We'll be just a bit South of you at Badger if anyone's in the neighborhood. Jr. T's not quite ready for the double black diamonds of Tahoe just yet. Shoot, he stilll needs a boost just to reach the chairlift :o

We'll be on channel 2 if anyone's listening (FRS).

I was looking at the EBRPD website and came across the meeting minutes. One of their latest meetings discusses geocaching.

Williams asked about Geocaching. Chief Kenny said it is scheduled for Board Operations review in 2005. He advised that the District does not have a policy on Geocaching and it is not allowed at the District.

http://www.ebparks.org/district/PAC/11_22_04m.htm

Looks like Kealia and I will be in Tahoe this weekend, anyone else heading up there? Snow cache event? hmmmm?

We'll be just a bit South of you at Badger if anyone's in the neighborhood. Jr. T's not quite ready for the double black diamonds of Tahoe just yet. Shoot, he stilll needs a boost just to reach the chairlift :tired:

We'll be on channel 2 if anyone's listening (FRS).

The Cruz Commandos will be at Badger Pass this weekend, too! We have one night at Yosemite Lodge, then 3 nights at Curry Village (no... NOT in a tent cabin) :rolleyes:

We'll probably ski one day and spend the other days playing in the snow and doing a few short hikes.

The Cruz Commandos will be at Badger Pass this weekend, too! We have one night at Yosemite Lodge, then 3 nights at Curry Village (no... NOT in a tent cabin) :D

We'll probably ski one day and spend the other days playing in the snow and doing a few short hikes.

Hot Dog! Sgt Stitches and the Cruz Commandos too B) . That'll make Jr. T happy. He was complaining last time we were up there that we didn't have enough people to help with the igloo :blink: .

5902bad2-43ef-4c8e-a43c-5122ce4b5c08.jpg

Congrats to Kablooey! (I was wondering the same thing on the DNF's) :D

I'm at 323 DNFs, just under 10%.  Of course, I post every attempt and don't edit mine later, so it's relatively easy to figure out.  Much harder for those that don't log their DNFs, or go back and change them to finds later on.

--Marky

Congrats on #3800 finds, that's more impressive!!

And thanks for sending Fizzy this way, he paid Brad a high compliment with the design but actually kudos go to WoW for the inspiration from one of his Assume Nothing caches. Not saying which one since he hasn't come across town to do it yet. :unsure: