SF Bay Area geocachers

I'm starting to collect signature items as well and only have a small collection, but hopefully, they'll improve my caching skills.

So I recognize all the sig items except the pig.... that is a pig right? I've got got to believe there is some story behind the pig or at least some relation to the cacher name.... please tell me there is a funny story about the pig! And whose sig item is that?

I'm starting to collect signature items as well and only have a small collection, but hopefully, they'll improve my caching skills.

So I recognize all the sig items except the pig.... that is a pig right? I've got got to believe there is some story behind the pig or at least some relation to the cacher name.... please tell me there is a funny story about the pig! And whose sig item is that?

I prefer the owner of the sig item to make a comment on the little pig. Hint: he has already made a comment on it, and please don't curse him. :D

Boy, budd's full of all kind of insider jokes today :D (one of my caches is "Curse You Touchstone"). The pig was one of my old sig items. I was quite dismayed when budd liked them so much that he was surprised I retired the idea :D . I tend to loose interest in any one sig item rather quickly. I like to do different things. Right now I'm leaving Bam-Bam Sticks (like you'd see fans hitting together to make noise at a ball game), and Geomarbles. For caches I really enjoy, I'll leave State Geocoins :huh:

my new sig item that I do not plan on leaving anywere

We actually had a sig item that we left at a DNF site for a while. It was a film canister with the following labeling:

You found a Marky & Joani DNF cache.

This is not the GEOCACHE you are looking for.

We zeroed out here (in more ways that one) but couldn't find the cache so we left this cache where we zeroed out.  If you zero out in your find, feel free to add your name to the DNF log sheet.  If you DO find the cache, feel free to take this cache as your reward, proving that you are better cachers than we are. :D

We only left about 5 of them, and they caused some confusion so we stopped leaving them.

--Marky

Yikes, that's where most of our caches are and my Mom lives nearby so we often go walking into the park in the mornings!

Bullit, how come you see/hear all the wild animal stories?? I have yet to spot anything beyond a deer and turkey.

Not sure really... I have lived here all of my life but now I am seeing more stuff than I have ever seen lately, granted caching is getting me out more but as a kid we essentially lived up in the hills around Stevens Creek. I saw another bobcat(maybe the same one that I posted here) on the way up to Woods Cache in Sierra Azul on Saturday. Mt. lions are the ones that really freak me out though... they get you from behind and they fight until you knock them out or kill them.

On a lighter note: has Marky been successful uploading coords into the Zire / Tom Tom system or does anyone know of a PDA based system that would allow that? Preferrably I'd like a wifi capable system and I'll help build up WeBeDnD's list of free wifi spots. Anybody doing something like that?

Mt. lions are the ones that really freak me out though... they get you from behind and they fight until you knock them out or kill them.

I agree. I'll never forget reading that story of the woman that was attacked down in So. Calif, dragged down the hillside even as her friend beat on it as much as she could. Took other bikers coming along and also going after it to finally make it let go. Then it was spotted afterwards from a helicopter stalking the rangers and searchers as they were nearing the body of a biker it had killed earllier.

OK, now I am spooked all over again. Group hikes sound good. :unsure:

Yikes, that's where most of our caches are and my Mom lives nearby so we often go walking into the park in the mornings!

Bullit, how come you see/hear all the wild animal stories?? I have yet to spot anything beyond a deer and turkey.

Not sure really... I have lived here all of my life but now I am seeing more stuff than I have ever seen lately, granted caching is getting me out more but as a kid we essentially lived up in the hills around Stevens Creek. I saw another bobcat(maybe the same one that I posted here) on the way up to Woods Cache in Sierra Azul on Saturday. Mt. lions are the ones that really freak me out though... they get you from behind and they fight until you knock them out or kill them.

On a lighter note: has Marky been successful uploading coords into the Zire / Tom Tom system or does anyone know of a PDA based system that would allow that? Preferrably I'd like a wifi capable system and I'll help build up WeBeDnD's list of free wifi spots. Anybody doing something like that?

Yep, he said it's easy with GCSK. I've been talking to him about that system a bit. Guess maybe I sould get it before the whole San Jose area is sold out!

HHmm, maybe there's something in the air. My old Palm III died this week.

Fortunately my wife had already purchased a new color one for mfor my upcoming Bday and gave it to me early for my trip up to Washington.

Now that I have a color unit with memory slots, I need to do some research about map programs, etc. for the Palm.

Heading off for a group hike this morning on Mt Squak in Washington with a group of locals inlcuding Moun10Bike, Hydnseek and many others. Should be a special icon for that! :unsure:

Now that I have a color unit with memory slots, I need to do some research about map programs, etc. for the Palm.

I've had good luck using Mapopolis on the palm. I store various counties on the expansion card and copy the ones I need into memory. Cachemate has a free export plug-in that exports cachemate records to the address book in a format that Mapopolis recognizes and displays. Maps for the whole US were $40. Their limited area demo is free so you can see if it'll work or not. I still use mapsource for looking at a whole pq, but I don't print the maps anymore - I just use mapopolis.

one gotcha is that when you export into the address book the address book isn't smart about duplicates, and there's no way to delete a whole category from the address book. when i decide to remove exported data from the address book i have to sync and then remove the category on the laptop by selecting all it's records and deleting them. It's a nit.

I am annoyed!!!

I was willing to let it go for a while, but...

I saw people writing down TB numbers at the CITO... That's not my style because, while I like to move bugs around, I could not care less how many I have grabbed, and I don't want to mess up the bugs' journeys.

Several of the travel bugs I grabbed at WoW's on Saturday (and logged on the spot, with my Sidekick II), AND ACTUALLY TOOK WITH ME, have since been grabbed and dropped BACK into the CITO by people who had written down the bug numbers, leaving me to grab them back.

Two of my own bugs were grabbed from the CITO by other people and then dropped genuinely into nearby caches, THEN grabbed by people who had written numbers down, leaving a mess to clean up involving grabbing them and then dropping them back to where they were supposed to be. This shouldn't have to happen.

The least someone could do, if they just HAD to log bugs they didn't actually take... Is at least check first to see if someone else actually had them before trying to grab them. But these two people I'm talking about didn't even check, apparently.

And here these people, out of greed, curiosity, or ???, have messed up these bugs' travels and caused inconvenience for others.

I do not think this is right. It's annoyed me to the point where I am writing this post. Ordinarily I would not bitch about such a thing, but this just bugged (ha) me enough that I had to say something.

There, I got it off my chest.

Here's a good link to get some important information about mountain lions, including recognizing their tracks:

California Department of Fish & Game "Living With California Mountain Lions"

Adult mountain lion tracks are about the size of medium to large size dog tracks, without the nail marks at the toes - cats usually retract their nails.

They also leave "scratch post" marks on trees like what some household cats do on furniture, but usually 6' to 10' high.

Bikers and joggers have to be more careful with a mountain lion, because their speed doesn't give it enough time to run away. And of course, the instinct of a predatory animal is to chase when something runs away from them...

Edited by budd-rdc

I think I can summarize my thoughts on those TB grabs:

1. I was annoyed and inconvenienced by this as well. I subsequently received an apology from one of the parties involved, and it was clear that they were new to this sort of thing, so I let it go, no problem, all is forgiven and forgotten.

2. I don't engage in the "saw it" bug stat collecting either except where it is appropriate, for example wih my Jeep TB, with the Moun10bike coins and such in sig binders, etc. Otherwise it would be easy to imagine a random newbie cacher attending a BADGES dinner and logging a hundred TBs from the one event, without actually adding anything of value to the game in the process.

3. I think that if you're going to make those sorts of grabs where you might inconvenience people, the responsible thing to do is to log them as quickly as possible, preferably by the end of the same day at the latest. Also be aware that while you are boosting your TB stat, you may be inconveniencing others. I've seen it happen several times.

4. I do like the side-effect that that type of TB logging has, which is to make the stats less meaningful. I think that's a good thing. :P

Edited by Team Nazgul
I am annoyed!!!

I was willing to let it go for a while, but...

I saw people writing down TB numbers at the CITO... That's not my style because, while I like to move bugs around, I could not care less how many I have grabbed, and I don't want to mess up the bugs' journeys.

Several of the travel bugs I grabbed at WoW's on Saturday (and logged on the spot, with my Sidekick II), AND ACTUALLY TOOK WITH ME, have since been grabbed and dropped BACK into the CITO by people who had written down the bug numbers, leaving me to grab them back.

Two of my own bugs were grabbed from the CITO by other people and then dropped genuinely into nearby caches, THEN grabbed by people who had written numbers down, leaving a mess to clean up involving grabbing them and then dropping them back to where they were supposed to be. This shouldn't have to happen.

The least someone could do, if they just HAD to log bugs they didn't actually take... Is at least check first to see if someone else actually had them before trying to grab them. But these two people I'm talking about didn't even check, apparently.

And here these people, out of greed, curiosity, or ???, have messed up these bugs' travels and caused inconvenience for others.

I do not think this is right. It's annoyed me to the point where I am writing this post. Ordinarily I would not bitch about such a thing, but this just bugged (ha) me enough that I had to say something.

There, I got it off my chest.

Yikes! What a pain...

Looks to be the work of a newbie (and someone who should know better). I'd write them and give a little education....

As soon as the TB I grabbed at the event went through the logging process, I e-mailed the owner right away to let him know what was happening. Thankfully, I didn't drop it in a cache yet, so no travel/mileage confusion for it.

I'll wait a few more days to make sure the logging is done, then I'll regrab the TB for some adventure.

Gee, now I'm really sorry I missed the event :P .

I've avoided logging bugs that I don't pick up (inlcuding Moun10Bike coins) for the same reason - plus I never saw the reasoning of it myself.

I was lucky enough to go on a 6-mile hike with Moun10bike himself and a handful of others this morning (in Washington of course) and it's possible that i may be coming home with a coin of my very own..... (if he's found unconcious in the woods I had nothing to do with it!)

I can HIGHLY recommend the Washington (Seattle/Bellevue area) cachers to out of towners who find themselves up here. I've now gone on group hikes with two different crowds and have made a lot of friends up here.

Fortunately we saw no Mountain Lions up here. 8 went out, 8 came back! :lol:

Now, where's my plane?!?!?!? :P

Edited by Kealia
I've avoided logging bugs that I don't pick up (inlcuding Moun10Bike coins) for the same reason - plus I never saw the reasoning of it myself.

I was lucky enough to go on a 6-mile hike with Moun10bike himself and a handful of others this morning (in Washington of course) and it's possible that i may be coming home with a coin of my very own..... (if he's found unconcious in the woods I had nothing to do with it!)

I can HIGHLY recommend the Washington (Seattle/Bellevue area) cachers to out of towners who find themselves up here. I've now gone on group hikes with two different crowds and have made a lot of friends up here.

I guess that explains your indifference at the Christmas Un-Event, when Joani and I were talking about Moun10Bike coins...

I'm slowly piecing together "must-visit" caches in the Northwest, so I hope you don't mind me asking about your experience from time-to-time? I expect you'll treat your WA state friends to a "pancake breakfast" when they decide to visit the Santa Cruz area. :P

I guess that explains your indifference at the Christmas Un-Event, when Joani and I were talking about Moun10Bike coins...

Yup, my plan to take him out into the woods where nobody could hear him scream was wasa in the works at that time.

I'll gladly share my experiences with you anytime. Lots of good cacahing up here.

I've done two of the three Issaquah Alps so far. Next trip = next mountian.

If I can get some WA folks down here, it sounds like they want to see Nisene Marks - the Epicenter (Shake Your Booty) is on thier list of 'caches-to-do'.

(if he's found unconcious in the woods I had nothing to do with it!)

If I had known you were going hiking with him, I would have given you a length of lead pipe to bring. :P

I really want to log Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, and some sort of gonzo assault on it sounds appealing. Then again I recently made about a 225-mile round trip to find an Altoids tin so there's obviously something very wrong with me.

I keep thinking that one might be a good choice be turned into an Earthcache. As a side benefit, there'd also be an Earthcache closer than Colorado.

Ahh, another new icon - I'm for it!

Tunnel of Light is on my list of caches to do up here as is the Project APE cache nearby....

Fizzy, Kusa, Woof! and I went on a nice loop hike in Sunol this morning. We didn't really have anything planned other than printing out an ExpertGPS park map. Our main goal was "W Tree Rock Scramble", which is a most awesome cache! With the water running down the creek, we would rate this one at 4 terrain and it's just a total blast. There is definitely a lot of poison oak to navigate and some slippery boulders but we all made it up there without falling into the drink. I'd recommend this cache to anyone who is up for a grand adventure. Here are the caches that I found on this loop so you can see where we went:

GCM79Y, GCM7A3, GCH7DP, GCM7BN, GC5E7 (also highly recommended for the views, hidden on 4/1/2001), GCH3TF, GCE22D, GCKTN7 (this one is a puzzle, so you'd have to solve this one before heading up).

--Marky

Tunnel of Light is on my list of caches to do up here as is the Project APE cache nearby....

BB and I are planning on a week long road trip up to Portland with a side trip to get the APE cache this summer. Once we know the dates we'll post it here. Ain't no reason we can't have a bay area event up there.

as is the Project APE cache nearby....

I want that ICON! <_<

--Marky

Try this out for a day of fun!

Park one car at the Iron Hore State Park trail head, park one under the bridge on National Forest Rd 5510. Nice littel Six and a half mile one way trip including the Tunnel (little over 2 miles of total darkness) with 7 caches to grab including a Project APE and GC79.

1. Iron Horse (East)

2. Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers

3. Iron Horse

4. Mission 9: Tunnel of Light

5. Avalanche Shed

6. Rainey Creek

7. Iron Horse - Hansen Creek

iron%20horse.jpg

Pepper

Edited by Pepper
Here are the caches that I found on this loop so you can see where we went:

GCM79Y, GCM7A3, GCH7DP, GCM7BN, GC5E7 (also highly recommended for the views, hidden on 4/1/2001), GCH3TF, GCE22D, GCKTN7 (this one is a puzzle, so you'd have to solve this one before heading up).

--Marky

Oh cool, an oldies, and a puzzle. I've not hiked in that neck of the woods yet. Thanks for the pointer!

Should WalruZ:cow be an insider joke association? He called one of the game trails in Monte Bello "cow path" although I haven't seen any cows up there yet.

the Epicenter (Shake Your Booty) is on thier list of 'caches-to-do'.

I keep thinking that one might be a good choice be turned into an Earthcache. As a side benefit, there'd also be an Earthcache closer than Colorado.

I think the Los Trancos Open Space Preserve "San Andreas Fault Trail" tour is very suitable for an EarthCache. The aftermath of the 1906 quake is much more evident there than whatever geographical anomalies noticeable near "Shake Your Bootie" cache.

On a good clear day, you can "aim along the Fault" and see the Loma Prieta peak from Los Trancos. There's also this cache nearby in Monte Bello which seems to fit the theme of San Andreas Fault geographical anomaly. I believe the owner of that cache may be working on an EarthCache!

If you are ever near West Oakland (disclaimer: tough neighborhood), driving down Mandela Parkway is a somber reminder of the 1989 Loma Prieta quake. This is the location of the former "Cypress Structure."

Edited by budd-rdc