SF Bay Area geocachers

:rolleyes:

So I was finally all set to go do Big Ben. Got my PQ loaded on the green. Got maps and the PQ loaded on my new sportrak color (which I got has a hand-me-down after BEcky had it for 3 days and upgraded to the Meridian color). Are 5 GPSs too much for one family? Okay, Marky said "no". I have the whole day off. Plenty of gas in the tank. And here the silly weather people are talking about storm and flood warnings. I don't mind a little rain, in fact love the drizzle, but I'm not going hiking in a storm warning. I swear I'll get to that one sometime though.

So did you post a DNF or not Dave? :rolleyes: I don't think I'd want to be walking under those trees near Big Ben with the winds we're predicted to get (50+ MPH :unsure: ). When we were out there about a month ago, there was lots of downfall in the area from the last storm. Some of those limbs looked preeettttty BIG!

Ah, I didn't even think of that. Now I don't feel like as much of a sissy.

Sissy.

Wise choice. Between the winding road to get up there and the fact that you would be deep in the woods where the rain gets HEAVY you made a wise choice.

I did a few caches last week in the rain in Henry Cowell that were fun but only to a point. I've also got three ammo cans loaded and ready for a break in the weather (probable targets are PogoNip, Nisene Marks and QS)...sigh.

Yeah, here's an excerpt from the latest from NWS:

"NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO CA

1030 AM PST FRI JAN 7 2005

...A FLOOD WATCH IS EXTENDED FOR POSSIBLE FLASH FLOODING THROUGH

SUNDAY FOR SANTA CRUZ AND MONTEREY COUNTIES...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA HAS EXTENDED THE

FLOOD WATCH FOR FLASH FLOODING AND POSSIBLE MUD AND DEBRIS FLOWS FOR

THE SANTA CRUZ AND SANTA LUCIA MOUNTAINS IN SANTA CRUZ AND MONTEREY

COUNTIES. THE WATCH CONTINUES IN EFFECT TODAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

A SERIES OF STORMS IS STILL ON TRACK TO AFFECT CENTRAL CALIFORNIA

THROUGH THE WEEKEND. THE STORM MOVING THROUGH THE AREA TODAY IS

PRODUCING RAINFALL RATES RUNNING FROM A QUARTER TO A HALF AN INCH PER

HOUR OVER THE WATCH AREA THE LAST SEVERAL HOURS WITH A FEW AREAS

RECEIVING SLIGHTLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. AS THE STORM MOVES THROUGH THE

WATCH AREA THROUGH TONIGHT EXPECT LOCALLY HEAVY SHOWERS TO DEVELOP.

IF THESE SHOWERS DEVELOP OVER STEEPER TERRAIN A FLASH FLOOD WARNING

MAY BE NEEDED.

RAINFALL TOTALS FOR THE WEEKEND ARE STILL EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM 4 TO

8 INCHES IN THE FOOTHILLS AND MOUNTAINS...AND LOCAL TOTALS OF UP TO

10 INCHES ALONG THE OROGRAPHICALLY FAVORED SLOPES IS A REAL

POSSIBILITY.

GIVEN THE SATURATED CONDITIONS...THE ADDITIONAL RAINFALL HAS THE

POTENTIAL TO CAUSE SERIOUS FLASH FLOODING PROBLEMS. FLASH FLOODING IS

POSSIBLE ALONG SMALL STREAMS AND IN LOW LYING AREAS. STREET AND

ROADWAY FLOODING IS ALSO LIKELY IN NORMALLY FLOOD PRONE AREAS...."

You can sign up for EDIS email alerts (which include NWS, amber alerts, ISO power warnings, etc.) at http://www.incident.com/edismail.html. I find them useful. You can also browse all of the EDIS alerts from the California OES at http://www.edis.ca.gov.

I'm working from home today in Scotts Valley and we'v already gotten almost 2 inches of rain since last night.

Currently the wind gusts are rattling the windows and no end is in sight....

It hasa given me time to actaully work and come up with a new idea for a cache though....

If it's not REALLY pouring rain in the morning I'm heading over to Pogonip to finish up that great park. Caching in the rain... great way to start a day!

Tempting. I haven't been caching since last Saturday. I like the rain. I wonder where my waterproof/breathable pants are...

--Marky

I'm hoping that when I run into a 'cat' in the wild that it's a bobcat as well (as opposed to the mountain lions that are roaming around here)

Don't underestimate bobcats. I see them from time to time in Rancho San Antonio. Once (about 20 years ago now) I was running down the Wildcat Loop trail (ironically) - the side that runs by the creek - and I spotted a bobcat on the trail below me. Since it was downhill and this was 20 years ago I was going fairly fast, so I didn't have time to stop. I expected it would just run away as I approached it. Instead, as I got close it sprang at me. Luckily I had a foot extended in just the right place to push him away with the sole of my shoe. He didn't even scratch my leg. As I landed my heart rate had jumped about 150% so I stopped to catch my breath and looked back. The cat was crouching and ready to chase me! I turned to face it and looked for a stick or something but there wasn't anything, so I grabbed a handful of dirt and threw it at the cat. The dust must have gotten in its eyes because it kind of shook its head and ran off. Those things aren't big enough to do serious physical harm, but if they bite or scratch, you have a nasty choice to make as to whether or not to start rabies treatment. I doubt you'll be able to catch the thing to take it in for testing. The treatments (vaccine injections) are very painful and the disease is fatal if injections are not started immediately (except one girl survived for the first time ever recently with some experimental treatment). Don't mess with Bob!

Don't underestimate bobcats.  I see them from time to time in Rancho San Antonio.

Last week we were walking at Shadowcliffs (Pleasanton) and were very surprised to have a bobcat trot across the trail in front of us very near C Monster cache. That's the closest to a developed area I've ever seen one.

I always try to keep an awareness of nearby animals. However, sometimes, like you, I've been surprised. A few years ago while hiking a canyon near Sedona I spotted movement on the trail up ahead. Quietly approaching, we found a couple of javelina, and decided to quietly backtrack. Then we realized there were some behind us too... a herd was foraging down the hill and across the trail all around us. We just stood quietly, and they paid us no mind, but we got a real adrenaline rush out of that.

I don't remember if I've posted on this forum or not... but I'm in the extreme east bay area, a little community known as Livermore. I'm less than a mile as the crow flies from the Centennial Cache (which I know by description, but haven't officially logged yet).

Anyway... Hello. :o

I don't remember if I've posted on this forum or not... but I'm in the extreme east bay area, a little community known as Livermore. I'm less than a mile as the crow flies from the Centennial Cache (which I know by description, but haven't officially logged yet).

Anyway... Hello. <_<

Welcome Limax. Glad to see more Livermore cachers (I don't live there, but cache there often).

--Marky

Welcome Limax.  Glad to see more Livermore cachers

We prefer to be known as "Livermorons," thank you!

Welcome, Limax. There are some great caches in Livermore; just not enough yet!

I heard it through the grapevine that the evil Kryptonite has struck and will be posting a puzzle in Slivermore for you Livermorons.

Greetings, Fellow Cachers (specifically, you of the snow-loving variety)!

As you've certainly realized, Tahoe has recently been buried in snow. I have first hand experience, as I had to dig myself out every morning (noon and night)!

Anyway - I like to mix up my activities, and was just wondering:

Anyone interesting in a "Geocacher Ski Daze"? I know there are at least a few of us skiers/boarders among the community, and more likely there are a LOT. We could carpool, or caravan - and meet at any resort the group decides on. Depending on location, we can even do some caching WHILE riding the slopes!

If you, or someone you know, might be intereted... drop me a line and I'll start building a list. Then I'll propose a few dates, and see what works for people. Midweek or weekend - I'm down for anything, any where. I normally ride Squaw - but am willing to to ride anywhere in Tahoe.

See you on the slopes!

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

Love the new Avatar Marky!!!! Is there story behind it or were you jsut goofing around?

Actually, the 'crown' was intended for Jeo at the RCGDS dinner, but he put it on me, saying that the person with the most finds had to wear it. :D I don't know if that is going to be the tradition now... I wasn't wearing a kilt though...

--Marky

I don't ski, but we'll be in Tahoe City for a week after Feb. 14, maybe we could host an event?

Hey, when/where are you going?

We'll be in South Shore around the 13-16th (dates not finalized yet).

A Tahoe event would be fun.

Probably be up there from the 13th to 21 or 22nd. Tahoe City.

Come on cachers, I know a lamppost hide up by Fanny Bridge that can be chiseled out of the ice....

I wasn't wearing a kilt though...

WHY NOT?!?! you're always camo pants when I see you.

WE WANT TO SEE THOSE LEGS! :D

Old Hippy was wearing a camo kilt. I need to get one of those...

--Marky

I saw Old Hippy, and a few others, wearing their kilts at the Lights Fantastic event before Christmas. B) It was pretty cold that night. Not sure how they did it. Don't think that I would have worn one myself that night. It would get a little cool I imagine.

WE WANT TO SEE THOSE LEGS! B)

--Marky

I saw Old Hippy, and a few others, wearing their kilts at the Lights Fantastic event before Christmas. :D It was pretty cold that night. Not sure how they did it. Don't think that I would have worn one myself that night. It would get a little cool I imagine.

But Real Men wear Kilts even on cold days

We got ours at www.sportkilt.com

Edited by Oldhippy & Granny

WE WANT TO SEE THOSE LEGS! B)

--Marky

I saw Old Hippy, and a few others, wearing their kilts at the Lights Fantastic event before Christmas. :D It was pretty cold that night. Not sure how they did it. Don't think that I would have worn one myself that night. It would get a little cool I imagine.

But Real Men wear Kilts even on cold days

We got ours at www.sportkilt.com

You go oldhippie!!

Hmm, I sense a Kilt Event in the works - only way to log the Event is to wear a kilt.

Looks like there was some good activity over in my area today - too bad I wasn't part of it. Lots of honey-do's piled up with the bad weather.

Did have time for a short walk today - though. Perhaps I dropped a new cache along the way....

I'll bee keeping my eyes open to see if today's activity resulted in any other new caches but I don't know when I'm going to have time to get to them (sigh).

Off to Washington in about a week and a half and hoping to do some caching with some friends up there.

Edited by Kealia

My brother-in-law Tech-E ran into a young rattler(two or three buttons) up in Alum Rock today at Inspiration Point... he actually swept across it with his hand clearing out some leaves. It was too cold for the snake to do much but it is a reminder to be careful out there. I haven't ever seen a rattler in the winter so this was a wake up call for me.