SF Bay Area geocachers

I was reading another thread and came across this link. Middle Tennesse's Best Cache List

We often get tips from others about which ones to try in our Bay Area, either here in the forums, reading someone's profile with their favorites or in person when we run into each other caching. I thought it would be nice to have something like this online. I know we don't have an official group website but maybe someone can create something like this that we can refer to. We can then link anyone that comes along asking for suggestions for caches to do in the area. Boulter? Marky?

The list would of course be relative acording to tastes but many caches seem to be repeated often as favorite for one reason or another and maybe the ones most often mentioned would be a good start. For instance, I have often seen the Sounds Of The Bay cache mentioned before we finally did that one. Definately one for the list. I liked the format used for the above link too.

Anyways, just an idea.

Hey Lefty, drop me a line. Your profile email keeps getting bounced back!

In answer to your inquiry:

ummm.... you MUST be seeing things! I don't have a new

Letterbox Hybrid named "Walk Like a Duck" out there

over by Oakridge.... nope, no sir.

...at least not that I've finished placing (some

approvers are just SOOOOO fast sometimes...)

Hey Lefty, drop me a line. Your profile email keeps getting bounced back!

In answer to your inquiry:

ummm.... you MUST be seeing things! I don't have a new

Letterbox Hybrid named "Walk Like a Duck" out there

over by Oakridge.... nope, no sir.

...at least not that I've finished placing (some

approvers are just SOOOOO fast sometimes...)

That one should be renamed "Flying Dutchman Cache"! I was about one exit away from it on 85 when I saw that it had disappeared into the mists, thwarting my attempt to double my letterbox hybrid finds! :grin:

We often get tips from others about which ones to try in our Bay Area, either here in the forums, reading someone's profile with their favorites or in person when we run into each other caching. I thought it would be nice to have something like this online. I know we don't have an official group website but maybe someone can create something like this that we can refer to. The list would of course be relative acording to tastes but many caches seem to be repeated often as favorite for one reason or another and maybe the ones most often mentioned would be a good start. For instance

Remember Kreebelle's Cache of the Week? I wonder what happened to that. Probably she just stopped getting enough nominees, and too few people showed any gratitude, perhaps. I appreciated her efforts, but I confess I didn't bother to nominate any, although I did read with interest the nominees, and usually went out to find a couple of them. Anyway, we could use her list of winners or nominees as a beginning. Those already have a sort of stamp of approval based on members' votes. I'm assuming she would cooperate, although I haven't seen her logs or posts lately.

New smilies menu in the Geocaching Express Logger

Hey folks, I know a number of you like my little logger tool, so I thought I'd let you know about a feature I added last night. Each log entry box has a button that pops up a menu of smilies, so you can just click them to add them to your log rather than remember all those bracket things. It's just a fun little addition.

Geocaching Express Logger

If any of you have some design skills and want to take a crack at making this thing even a little prettier, I could obviously use some help there.

Enjoy.

Remember Kreebelle's Cache of the Week? I wonder what happened to that. Probably she just stopped getting enough nominees, and too few people showed any gratitude

I felt that a cache of the week was a little bit too much. 4 caches of the month, over a month span would be more like it.

Here's a link to Krebelle's "Cache of the Week" page.

It went on for about 2 months ending on Oct 17, 2003 with the last cache of the week never chosen from the 5 nominees. I, for one, thought it was a great idea and nominated a cache each week while visiting most of the other nominees. I e-mailed Krebelle when it died and she sent me a nice e-mail letting me know that it was taking more time than expected to keep the whole thing going.

Maybe someone could restart it on a less frequent basis?

/Lefty

http://www.svmoms.org/svgeocachers/winners/

Edited by KennyHannahJacob

Anybody have a map of the PogoNip/UCSC trails?

I've Google'd 'til I can't Google no more and can't seem to find one.

Hoping to go out there this weekend and if I can get a decent map (heck, any map) I may be able to calibrate it and send it to Boulter for use with ExpertGPS - and course to know where the heck I'm going this w/e!

Hoping to go out there this weekend and if I can get a decent map (heck, any map) I may be able to calibrate it and send it to Boulter for use with ExpertGPS - and course to know where the heck I'm going this w/e!

Kind of surprising they don't post one other than just saying to call Parks and Recreation for a map. Maybe they would be able to send by email so you can have the copy by this weekend? I'm sure you saw that info but here it is anyways.

Parks and Recreation

(831) 420-5270

parksandrec@ci.santa-cruz.ca.us

There is a map at the trailhead at least, maybe you can scan one for the rest of us!

I have one to scan, but my system died this morning and I am handicapped for a bit (Service pack 2... the update fromm hell).

Then somebody introduced me to ExpertGPS and now I'm addicted..... ;)

I beat the addiction by not wanting to fork out sixty bucks for something that I only would use to plot caches onto a map, in a manner that's only slightly quicker/easier than doing it by hand. And usually I'm good at rationalizing those expenses too! B)

Where's the appropriate forum to request the ability to filter out caches hidden by certain users in my pocket queries?

What tool are you using to filer your PQs? I believe GSAK will do this for you. One nice PERMANENT way is to just use the delete function on a cache you don't care to hunt, and then answer yes (i think it's a checkbox on the verify the delete dialog that pops up) to have it added the permanent delete list. Once on that list, it will be filtered out of any PQ you bring in to GSAK. You can always go in and take caches off the permanent delete list when you do want to hunt them again.

This method is much better than filtering. It shouldn't be a big deal to just do that any time a new cache pops up by a hider you want to ignore and the effect is more permanent that filtering.

--Marky

Ho Ho Ho - for those of you who didn't do this cache last year, do it soon:

You won't be sorry.

I may have to drag the family to that cache this weekend. Thanks for pointing it out.

Maybe we could have an un-event for people interested in going?

--Marky

Well let's see boys and girls, who's been naughty or nice this past year. Let's start from the end of the alphabet: Venona....hmmm....that's a tough one :lol:

Maybe Hemlock can speak up on this subject, but I have seen 2 events denied in the past that compare to this. One for short notice (probably would be applicable here), and one that was a hike to a cache (did not qualify as something other than just a cache hunt). I personally have no problem with attending a "non-event", having a good time with other cachers is the point (and as there is a cache to be found, there will still be a "smilie"!)

After all the activity around The Rat's latest puzzle cache something to chill out over:

http://www.gchq.gov.uk/codebreaking/index.html

"We had a few comments last time suggesting that the challenge which we gave you was a little too easy. Well, here's something which will take a bit more work, but has a few things in common with the last challenge.

There are three parts to the solution. What is the connection between the men in the first list and the women in the second list? Which man pairs with which woman? And what is the hidden quotation?

Just to make things a little more interesting, GCHQ will be offering copies of 'Big Bang' the latest book by Simon Singh, the well known mathematician and code expert, to six successful solvers whose names will be drawn from a hat. "

Maybe we should create a cache for this and use the proven method for tackling it?

I told my wife about the Christmas cache and was pleasantly surprised when she was enhusiastic about going to see it. That doesn't happen very often! We were planning to go up on Sunday.

If there's a better time for other people, I'd be happy to make another trip to join in. I don't need a find to get me to go out caching/hiking with friends.

(I remember talking to Alamo one time and I mentioned that I was going on a 4-hour/7-mile hike with some friends the next morning in some park. He asked me if there were new caches there, and I told him no, my friends were muggles and we wouldn't be doing any caching. After a pause (I could swear I heard gears grinding) he said "That's sick!" ;):):o)

As to events... I've heard the same things, that a group going caching generally doesn't qualify for an event, and that two weeks is generally considered the minimum advance notice. There are a lot of discussions (to use the term loosely) in the general forum about the relative merits of these guidelines. Just have your Kealia shot glass handy and have it filled to the appropriate "been in forums" level when you start reading them.

Just have your Kealia shot glass handy and have it filled to the appropriate "been in forums" level when you start reading them.

I would be glad to bring a bottle of tequilla to share with anyone witha Kealia shot glass... :)

--Marky

Even Kealia himself? :o

But of course! ;)

--Marky

Caching is definitely making an impression on my kids. My 3 year old just brought me a big old rock and asked if I could turn it into a cache!

:o

I'm going off-line for a while. Just got back my computer from the shop (fatal drive error, lost it all!), and am going to dismantle and move all the systems to another room (now were IS that DSL line coming from anyway....?). Really should just set up a wireless network someday....

Could someone call me if there is an outing to the Christmas cache? Thanks!

Just to be clear. You park within a couple hundred feet of the cache. The site and the "hike" (ok, walk) are nothing to write home about.

It's the Xmas gifts that are the real treat.

Just want you to know what you're in for.

How much space is there (for how many cars?). Just wondering if we need to consider car pooling. Also, how much tequilla do I need to bring?

Dave/Nazgul, do you have a tentative time that you'd like to meet up at the parking area? Is it okay if we turn this into more than just a family outing that maybe your wife was thinking about? With the weird stuff that is going on at work, I need to do something to get in the Christmas spirit and doing this cache with my caching friends sounds like just the ticket.

--Marky

Sunday would also be good for me. What with shoveling the manure out of the reindeer stables, waxing the sleigh, and settling a labor dispute with the elves, it looks like Saturday is pretty well filled up (so to speak).

I was originally going to do this cache to restock the presents, but since the galante GG, as a consciences cache owner.....well that's not quite right....let's say dedicated, or maybe devoted cache owner, has already done this task, I'll have some spare presents to pass out on Sunday. My avatar to the left shows the fine piece of craftsmanship you can expect to find at the cache (OK, maybe it's not Wedgewood).

I'll bring some non-alcoholic eggnog (heard on the news tonight that the CHP has some increased funding to catch DUI's this Holiday Season).

Merry Christmas to all :lol:

Paraking has room for only a couple of cars (2-3, 4 max). May want to think about a few more caches in the area to make the trip worthwhile (not that the presents aren't).

You can search for the nearest or you can do some caches in Fall Creek if you haven't (Big Ben, etc.) Parking for those is at 37º 04.225 / 122º 07.464 back down Empire Grade. For these (I know them well 'cuz they're mine) you can hike in .4/mile for Big Ben and turn around or continue on anywhere from another .5/mile or so to Lost camp or 2 miles to Barrel Mill.

Neaer to the Xmas cache - Genocache gives a great view if the "trail" is still there and not grown over.

I'll bring some non-alcoholic eggnog (heard on the news tonight that the CHP has some increased funding to catch DUI's this Holiday Season).

Merry Christmas to all :D

geo-clause makes a good point. Maybe tequilla isn't a good idea. I'll bring my Kealia shot glass for some egg nog then. :lol:

--Marky

Just to be clear. You park within a couple hundred feet of the cache. The site and the "hike" (ok, walk) are nothing to write home about.

It's the Xmas gifts that are the real treat.

Just want you to know what you're in for.

How much space is there (for how many cars?). Just wondering if we need to consider car pooling. Also, how much tequilla do I need to bring?

Dave/Nazgul, do you have a tentative time that you'd like to meet up at the parking area? Is it okay if we turn this into more than just a family outing that maybe your wife was thinking about? With the weird stuff that is going on at work, I need to do something to get in the Christmas spirit and doing this cache with my caching friends sounds like just the ticket.

--Marky

Well, the kid has a cold so she's probably not up for a big gathering, but then again that same cold also cancelled our afternoon plans so.... The short version is that I think we'll go up and do the family thing this afternoon, and then tomorrow I can go up again for the "geo-family" gathering. I should be able to go up most any time, although hopefully not early in the morning. When is good for others?

I'll let WoW know, and see what we can do about carpooling. If he has one of his minivans we can stuff in a lot of people, or if I take the Jeep it's usually good for parking someplace that another vehicle couldn't park anyway.

Afternoon would be better for our elf and reindeer that will be accompanying me. If there's any interest in hitting an early dinner afterwards (say in Scott's Valley), we'd be up for that as well. I'll just put a random time of somewhere around 2:00 pm that would probably work for us.

Hope your little one feels better soon TN :lol:

Edited by geo-clause
Caching is definitely making an impression on my kids. My 3 year old just brought me a big old rock and asked if I could turn it into a cache!

:lol:

It seems you outdid yourself on one of your latest hides. I didn't want to post anything on the cache log to give it away, but I thought that was the best camo job of its type, and I don't think it can get any better. It looked like one, it weighed like one, and heck, it even felt like one! (and of course, the cache name makes a lot of sense in that context)