SF Bay Area geocachers

This page expands "post to park" to "military post to national park," a somewhat dated term, since that conversion is more or less complete. I interpret that to mean that all that area, including the Marin Headlands and the Presidio, is now under NPS control.

Thanks Hemlock! From your link, I can now see the areas of the Presidio that are operated by the Trust rather than the NPS, and the current cache placements there make much more sense! Presumably the areas in green below are fair game for new placements...

From that page:

PresidioManagement.jpg

So, is the recent dearth of new caches in the San Jose area due to lack of submissions or lack of approvals? I'm just curious since it seems unusual.

I haven't done any caching for several days myself, and lots of people here at work are on vacation, so maybe it's just a natural lull. If Marky's still taking a break, that probably explains half of the drop-off by itself. :(

So, is the recent dearth of new caches in the San Jose area due to lack of submissions or lack of approvals? I'm just curious since it seems unusual.

I haven't done any caching for several days myself, and lots of people here at work are on vacation, so maybe it's just a natural lull. If Marky's still taking a break, that probably explains half of the drop-off by itself.  ;)

Maybe it's because all of the parks are already full of micros? :(

Okay, probably not really. Speaking for myself, I've been out of town/too busy planning a wedding to cache much lately, which correlates to not placing any either. I could have cached this past weekend but honestly I was so busy doing laundry and wedding planning that I ran out of time. The weekend before, ND and I were at a conference in Redwood City and cached up there.

ND did place some new caches down in Gilroy that have very few finders so far. So if anyone is willing to travel...

Today, he's doing his best to log all the caches in Montebello!

Edited by beckerbuns

Hey I did some of the Monte Bello caches yesterday. I parked at the main Page Mill parking and walked to the backpack camping area. I'd like to go back and do the other ones on the far side of that. I see on the map there is a permit only parking area off Monte Bello road. Anyone know how you get a permit or if that's really inforced or if you can just park on a turn off in that area?

Hey I did some of the Monte Bello caches yesterday. I parked at the main Page Mill parking and walked to the backpack camping area. I'd like to go back and do the other ones on the far side of that. I see on the map there is a permit only parking area off Monte Bello road. Anyone know how you get a permit or if that's really inforced or if you can just park on a turn off in that area?

The parking area off Monte Bello road has a locked gate. When you get your permit (available by mail, I believe), it will include the current combination to the lock. Kablooey is the only person I know of that has gotten a permit for that lot before. Most people drive up to the end of Monte Bello and park on the street (even though it is posted no parking) figuring that nobody is going to complain about it. I've never heard of anyone having a problem parking at the end of the road (you might want to talk to The Fogheads as I recall they have parked there before).

I believe you can obtain a permit by just calling the park office and they will mail one out to you that is good for a month (or something like that).

--Marky

Thanks, I'll just have to decide to go it legal like or not. :)

When are you planning to go out there? I still need to get all of the caches up there, including those. I have a vehicle that I'd be willing to risk parking in the "no parking" zone there... Also if there's an appropriate spot I should be able to park it completely off of the road.

For those of you who missed the Scrabble movie (all of you) but wanted to see it (there might be a couple of you), apparently it's on TV on Thursday from 8pm to 10pm EDT (I guess that means 5pm to 7pm?).

Word Wars on Discovery Times Channel

Oddly enough, if you click the Scrabble Links link on the left navbar of that page, you'll find a page that links to boulter's site!

Edited by kablooey
For those of you who missed the Scrabble movie (all of you) but wanted to see it (there might be a couple of you), apparently it's on TV on Thursday from 8pm to 10pm EDT (I guess that means 5pm to 7pm?).

Oddly enough, if you click the Scrabble Links link on the left navbar of that page, you'll find a page that links to boulter's site!

Hey, we're here to support ya! That was on our TiVo record list 2 weeks ago after I saw a commercial for it. Will you sign my remote? :o

ND has this one all set to TiVo. I suggest the rest of you DVR people do the same!

I've parked up there twice with no problems, though some random guy warned us the first time. I did back up into one of those wooden poles and warped my back bumper, but that was just a good excuse to buy a heat gun. :o

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the large crowd of geocachers that parked along Montebello Rd. when we were all up there looking for the Magellan treasure on 7/11/03. I was the first geocacher to find it; unfortunately two OTHER people got there before me (non-cachers from what I gather) but at least I got that darn hat!

It was a regular geocacher Who's Who there that day... And yes, Kablooey was the only one who went to get a parking permit and ended up getting there later than the rest of us... But at least he was legal!

I just wanted to congratulate Bill of Green Achers for his triumphant FTF on Delta Butter. Talk about overcoming adversity! A missing cache, and countless boat troubles - but he prevailed! Nice work. I believe it was Bill who once gave Skier4000 major credit for the lengths he went to in order to find a cache... but read the logs on this one, and I think you'll see that this takes the cake!

Okay, not everyone has access to a boat. SO...

I'm organizing a little outing to this cache - AND another I just placed out on the Delta yesterday. The latter IS auto-accessible, but probably easier by boat.

I can take up to 9 more people on this coming Sunday, 8/22/2004.

I keep my boat at Russo's Marina on Bethel Island, so we'll launch from there. We can head out and hit the two caches pretty quickly, and then if anyone wants to stick around for some wakeboarding -- you're MORE than welcome. My crew has an amazing success rate with first-time riders...

If you're interested in coming along on this aquatic adventure, just drop me a line and let me know. Also, if you can't make it on that date, but would like to go - we can definitely work something out, as I'm out there all the time (this time of year ;-).

I wonder when the new cache ("Valve Open" - an inside joke among my wakeboarding crew) will be approved, and if it will still be unfound come Sunday morning?

I'll check in on this thread over the next few days, but your best bet is to email me if you're interested.

See you on the sloughs,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

OUCH! My blisters weep for you, Marky! Like Nurse Dave, I'm a "real man" and seem to ALWAYS cache in shorts (and short sleeves, and...). I've actually gone to the doctor for a shot and some meds (the "DosePak" :P ) , but I'd say at it's worst, my various exposures have paled in comparison to virtually ALL of those photos.

Makes me envy guys like Kemosabe, who report immunity to the stuff. What a treat that would be, huh? I just consider P.O. an "occupational hazard", at this point: realizing that there are actions I can take to mitigate the risk, but that it's not entirely avoidable... ESPECIALLY when there's a free-running dog involved! :D

On a different note - my TiVo is all set up to record "Word Wars" - and I'm second in line for a Kablooey autograph.

My new cache should be approved before Sunday - so anyone interested (I've got a couple takers already) should be able to score at least a 3-fer (assuming you haven't already trekked out to Bethel Island for "Bethel Island Beauty") on the outing.

Have a GREAT afternoon!

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

Mine was worse that all of those pictures. Now I don't feel so bad about going in to the doctor for a prescription. At least it wasn't on my face though. That must be the worst.

--Marky

Oh, thank God they didn't add Marky's picture. He really had a bad dose of poison oak!

Thanks Billy. I'm really sorry I can't take a bunch of cachers as well, but you know there'd be some great stories if I did. :D:D:P I may be jumping into Stockton later after church though. Ryan challenged me to get all the Stockton caches so I'm chipping them away. Only one DNF so far. :D

Check out what cachers back East have to contend with: poison ivy rash slideshow:ph34r:  Not for the faint of heart.

Mine was worse that all of those pictures. Now I don't feel so bad about going in to the doctor for a prescription. At least it wasn't on my face though. That must be the worst.

--Marky

I had lunch with Marky while he was suffering from that case. His arms were completely red and cracked, from the hands up to... I dunno. Not just bumps or blisters, the entire skin area was red and cracked like a dry creek bottom.

The worst I ever heard was possibly legend. Fellow exposes much of self to poison oak. Then takes bath. Oil floats to top of bathwater. He is completely covered in oil as he gets out of the bath.

I'm thinking about doing the new Montebello group Sunday morning. I normally cache and hike alone, but thought that there may be some people out this weekend knocking these suckers off their lists. I had JUST finished all of the Monte Bello ones when the new ones were approved. Good thing I live close by. I can't count the number of times I've been on Black Mountain in the past year...

For those of you who missed the Scrabble movie (all of you) but wanted to see it (there might be a couple of you), apparently it's on TV on Thursday from 8pm to 10pm EDT (I guess that means 5pm to 7pm?)

Hey Kablooey, we watched this the other night and you are only in it for a couple of seconds! We were hoping for a Blu-O-Rama! Oh well, still an interesting movie. Thanks for letting us know about it!

:lol:

For those of you who missed the Scrabble movie (all of you) but wanted to see it (there might be a couple of you), apparently it's on TV on Thursday from 8pm to 10pm EDT (I guess that means 5pm to 7pm?)

Hey Kablooey, we watched this the other night and you are only in it for a couple of seconds! We were hoping for a Blu-O-Rama! Oh well, still an interesting movie. Thanks for letting us know about it!

:lol:

Oh, now that people know I only appear in three scenes, maybe they won't be so afraid of watching it.

Hey Kablooey, we watched this the other night and you are only in it for a couple of seconds!  We were hoping for a Blu-O-Rama!  Oh well, still an interesting movie.  Thanks for letting us know about it!

:o

Oh, now that people know I only appear in three scenes, maybe they won't be so afraid of watching it.

Three? I only saw you in one. Where else do I look for you? Please, anything to distract me from GI Joel's burping!

:D We have another big celebration planned for this weekend. :P

DavidT21 & Fisherwoman @3K

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to have another formal event (seems like Hemlock would be flogged if he were to approve it), so I will be bringing a commemorative cache to Saturday's Danville event, GCK85X. This commemorative cache will be hidden after the event.

Please come celebrate with us.

Three? I only saw you in one. Where else do I look for you? Please, anything to distract me from GI Joel's burping!

1. Las Vegas: Shaking my head while telling players that a play was unacceptable.

2. Las Vegas: Walking down a hall after Brian won world championship.

3. Reno: After you hear me announcing Brian as the winner, you can see me in a Hawaiian shirt behind the directors' table.

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to have another formal event (seems like Hemlock would be flogged if he were to approve it), so I will be bringing a commemorative cache to Saturday's Danville event, GCK85X. This commemorative cache will be hidden after the event.

Please come celebrate with us.

Wow, we didn't even know there was an event in Danville this weekend. Can't make it, but we'll be going to the Fresh event tonight in San Jose. Congrats to DavidT21&Fisherwoman and to Team Alamo!

Rumor has it that the Ventura Kids (marathon cachers from SoCal) will be blazing through here again in September for our wedding. Maybe we should have a multi-thousand event of some kind around that time...

What IS the guideline for caches being close together in time or location? There are at least two this weekend in the Bay Area, but I thought that was turned down before?

What IS the guideline for caches being close together in time or location?  There are at least two this weekend in the Bay Area, but I thought that was turned down before?

It's my understanding that the local approvers have changed their mind on this issue and that events can be scheduled in nearby areas on different days (even if it's just one day apart). Of course, I didn't hear this from anyone official, so take it with a grain of salt.

--Marky

It's sad commentary that I can answer the vast majority of those right off the bat. There's only one I'm not absolutely sure of and 'k' appears to be a bit of a trick question but it should be the obvious answer.... Too bad the FTF will be long gone before I could manage to make it over there, that's a cute prize!

I'm willing to entertain offers for solving it for you though, if paid in Monty Python terms, that is "Large sums of money in easy to carry bags." :)

I wonder if the cache is hidden between two shrubberies, one of which is slightly higher so there is a two-level effect with a little path running down the middle....

(Hey, you wanted more posts!!! LOL)

Well I'll go right now.  Someone give me the answers!

Sheesh, the web site's down; so I come to the forums and all you're talking about is some mysterious cache that can't be loaded because the web site is down.

Well, when the website comes back up, you'll find out that it's a member's only cache... :huh:

--Marky

Edited by Marky

Great, after all this talk about the Holy Grail cahce, now I have to go get it so that I be "in" on the jokes!

Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and gone after the FTF myself instead of posting it here! :rolleyes::o

Seriously though, my wife will be gone tonight, so maybe I'll rent the flick today and check it out.