SF Bay Area geocachers

I guess it's not okay to have an event cache one day away from another event cache in the same general area.  So, are people interested in having an informal get together still (7:00pm at Round Table: N 37° 15.679 W 121° 55.750)?

--Marky

Man, those approvers sure are tough :)

I'm not complaining. I think they do a great job. I just hadn't considered that there might be a guideline regarding events close to each other, but a day apart. I will know better next time. It was a last minute thing anyway. If the people involved want to get together, we still can. :o

Cache on!

--Marky

I guess it's not okay to have an event cache one day away from another event cache in the same general area.  So, are people interested in having an informal get together still (7:00pm at Round Table: N 37° 15.679 W 121° 55.750)?

--Marky

Man, those approvers sure are tough :o

Well, it just wasn't fair of y'all to be scheduling all these events just because Woof! and I are leaving town. :)

Well, it just wasn't fair of y'all to be scheduling all these events just because Woof! and I are leaving town.  ^_^

Speaking of which...any TB's desperate for a ride to New Orleans or anywhere in between should be placed in Es Effo TB Hotel before early, early Saturday morning. Have fun at your little events this weekend...we'll be sure to wave good bye on our way out :P

Edited by Woof!
Beckerbuns suggested we have one back on July 1 in this forum... but I think she is going to be away then as it turns out, and no event was scheduled in any case.

I am interested... Marky- do you want to do one (if not, I would be happy to). The original thought was to do something primarily for all the cachers down in the Cambrian/Almaden area (Round Table at Camden Plaza was suggested).

How many would be interested?

Ya, we're driving a bunch of TBs to Reno that day. ^_^

Howdy Folks,

I hardly post but something unusual has happened. Somebody left a poor idea of a joke in my cache called "Why?"

I am not familiar with the "herb" but I did recognize the reefer papers. It could be this dried plant is from a nearby tree but even so, this kind of joke is a bad idea. I am astonished muggles found this. Even more curious, I found a rusty shovel nearby that I had not seen before. (I have no idea what thats about)

In the meantime, I am thinking I should shut the cache site down and move it to an entirely new location six miles away. Can I change the coords, or should I resubmit for a new approval?

By the way, I left a Jeep TB there last night but I may move this cache by 5:00 today.

Cheers,

GeoWomyn_SF_CA

PS: "Why" oh "Why?" do people do this ? :D

I visited Why? this morning. (oddly, there are 3 other caches named 'Why?') Anyway, at the cache site I initially stopped where the beer bottles were scattered about. I looked around a little and could see the cache from there. So, that's why.

I had not been up to that particular spot in quite a while. it looks like someone was using the shovel (and a crowbar, you saw that, right?) to dig the foundation of a summer home under the tree. Notice how things are stacked up on the north side of the tree. I wouldn't worry too much, EBRP has ways of dealing with people who try to take up permanent residence.

The 'herb' (if that's what it was) was gone by the time I got there. Someone probably just left it as a 'tokin' gesture. :o

I moved the cache about 12 feet, out from under the tree. It should be easy to find with the new hint, and pretty hard to find by accident.

The log book is a true work of art. I encourage my fellow cachers to try this one, then keep on going to "Man on a Mission".

--Marky

I'll try to make it.

I'd be interested in getting to know some of you bay area folks, but I'll be at the San Jose Earthquakes game that night at 7 pm.  I'll probably be throwing back a few beers at the Britannia Arms after the game though!

Why not pop in at Round Table instead? :D If you get bored, you can go over to Britannia Arms. :o

Edit: Oh, I read your post wrong, I thought you said until 7:00pm. Oh well, maybe next time!

--Marky

Edited by Marky

I can't speak for others, but I had a very good time at tonight's south San Jose pizza gathering and there were plenty of smiles around. It's always fun to meet some of the people whose names I see in so many cache logs too.

Here's a a picture from the get-together, sorry it's blurry but I kinda held the camera up in the air and took a picture of an animated mass of people, not exactly Ansel Adams... :blink:

3eb6ed71-6bf5-422f-bd47-939af8676b52.jpg

Joani and I had a great time at the un-event. Thanks to all who joined us! Even though there was no 'official' event cache, there were 15 cacher accounts in attendance and over 20 total people there. It was a good time! We are thinking that next time we will have it at Fresh Choice at Almaden Expressway and Blossom Hill. We were tentatively thinking about Friday, August 27th at 7:00pm. Please post here to let us know if this day works for you.

--Marky

Hey no fair! We were cut out of the picture! :(

That's OK, it helps keep our true identies a secret - sshhhh..... :D

We had a great time too, but didn;t even get to meet everybody that was there because of the great converstaions we had with M&J, Semi-Hex, one FogHead, and a brief chat with WookerOfWood.

I'm sorry we didn't have a chance to meet the others before we had to get home.

Next time - I swear.

Looks like 8/27 may work well for us, too.

In the meantime, we may throw together a simple event like this at the Tony & Alba's in Scotts Valley in the next few weeks (since we missed teh SV Event in June and don't even know our most local cachers :D ).

Good time - thanks!

Hey everyone,

We had a great time at the F.A.M.E. event tonight. Thanks to every one who came.

The next F.A.M.E. event will be August 22nd from 5-9pm, at the "Highway 84 TB Hotel" cache. We will continue to meet there on the 4th Sunday of every month, and I hope more of you local cachers will stop in and join us.

Thnaks again...and please let us know of any events that you plan so we can try to attend.

Now I'm kinda bummed that the event last Saturday didn't get approved. There were two local cachers who are good friends that didn't know about it because they hadn't checked into the forums. Now I'm thinking that it was dumb that it didn't get approved. I don't see why two events 21 miles apart on two different days isn't okay. Other than Wacka, Joani and I, there was no overlap in attendance. I guess it wouldn't have bothered me so much if it weren't for the fact that I missed out on spending some time with some of my other caching friends because they didn't know about the un-event.

--Marky

There are several local cachers whose names I see in most every log I sign but they're never in the forums here. Geowal701(?) and ProTechCC come to mind. Obviously, having an approved event would help with getting the word out to those folks.

It would be nice to have clarification on why the event was not approved. Are there guidelines that we should be aware of that would prevent this problem for happening again?

That said, obviously that get-together was an informal last-minute thing. If we're going to have some regular gatherings and plan them in advance we shouldn't have the same problem again.

Let me know if you need any help with the next one you've proposed.

It would be nice to have clarification on why the event was not approved. Are there guidelines that we should be aware of that would prevent this problem for happening again?

Hemlock gave me a reasonable explaination that basically stated that the approvers are trying to avoid approving "competing" events. Apparently, there have been issues in other areas. I think what we need from the approvers is some guidelines so that we can determine if an event would be considered "competing" in advance of submitting the event cache.

--Marky

I am planning a trip to Purisma Creek OSP on Saturday (7/31) morning and would be happy to have a few other cachers along.

Plenty of hiking and 5 caches (Semi-secret Trailhead, GCHGK8; Semiprecious Park, GC64F1; Pure Quality Bald Knob, GCB277; Hot Wheels, GCB6B; Saluting General, GCJAW9)

Send me an email if you're interested. Matt

To the cachers of San Francisco ...

I'd like to make an appeal to all of You to support a Travel Bug Race that started on July, 10th in Your area. The aim of the race is to reach Belgium. The 11 TB's started this race in Travel Bug Coffee Break. One of them has already left the area towards Washington DC.

You can read all about it here : TB Race Summer 2004 San Francisco - Belgium

Four TB's are still in the starting place, others are scattered around ...

Please help them on their way. But also : let them see things to show to the Belgians over here, give us stories !!!!!

Thnx anyway !

Merel ( dutch, meaning blackbird )

I am planning a trip to Purisma Creek OSP on Saturday (7/31) morning and would be happy to have a few other cachers along. 

Plenty of hiking and 5 caches (Semi-secret Trailhead, GCHGK8; Semiprecious Park, GC64F1; Pure Quality Bald Knob, GCB277; Hot Wheels, GCB6B; Saluting General, GCJAW9)

Send me an email if you're interested.  Matt

Joani and I have already done these, but I just wanted to highly recommend them to anyone who is considering going. It's very cool hike down to Saluting General (We never made it to Hotwheels).

--Marky

Hi All,

Hopefully this Friday night or next Friday night my next geocache game- series will be approved called "Inca Gold." This one is six caches total and involves searching for artifacts or clues. Each cache counts as a point.

When approved you can check Inca Gold

I don't think this series is any harder than Ardenwood Scrabble or the Indian Montage series but there is some climbing uphill. Bring water!

Series takes place at Mission Peak Regional Park in Fremont. I tried to keep the caches at the lower elevations but there wasn't enough room ! :tired: A couple are a little "above".

Enjoy,

GeoWomyn_SF_CA

WorkerofWood and I are planning to meet Saturday 6am (:tired:) at the Tunitas Creek Trailhead. I know that's an ungodly hour, but we're both trying to feed our habit and preserve family unity (:tired:)! There are 4 caches in a 6.5 mile hike. Not exactly a Woods Road Trail experience, but hey, variety is good. If the journey is part of what you enjoy about geocaching, this one is sure to deliver. Hope to see you there! Matt

Edited by mjp303
I'd like to make an appeal to all of You to support a Travel Bug Race that started on July, 10th in Your area. The aim of the race is to reach Belgium. The 11 TB's started this race in Travel Bug Coffee Break. One of them has already left the area towards Washington DC.

You can read all about it here : TB Race Summer 2004 San Francisco - Belgium

Four TB's are still in the starting place, others are scattered around ...

Please help them on their way. But also : let them see things to show to the Belgians over here, give us stories !!!!!

There will be a

TB Event

on August, 5 in the TB Coffee House as I see. Look also inthe following post The purpose is to exchange TB that come and want to go to Europe. So there's some hope for the racers !

Edited by Merel

Sleep when you're dead! :P

Last call for all early-riser cachers looking for some "quality" caches tomorrow...

Trailhead to Saluting General at 6am (it's really on your alarm clock, just look).

Contact mjp303 or workerofwood... or just be there on time (I'll have an FRS radio on ch2)

Happy caching!

I'd like to play, but I'm taking my daughter for her Tae Kwon Do promotion test tomorrow morning.

With any luck, I'm going to place a new cache on Sunday in Fall Creek park in Felton (it's part of Henry Cowell State Park). Plan for about a 2.5 mile hike in for this one.

Have new signature items on the way, too! Too bad they won't be in for about 3 weeks :P . I guess Marky and Joani will have another thing to add to their collection.

I just returned from my business trip to Tokyo. I thought some of you might be interested in a few words about caching in Tokyo. I apologize for the offtopic post...but since I mentioned the trip here earlier I thought I'd let y'all know how things turned out.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to hook up with anyone who had TBs heading to Japan before I left, so I went bug-less. Maybe next time!

I stayed in central Tokyo in an area called Akasaka. There were so many US chains! I expected Starbucks to be common, but I wasn't expecting to find an AM/PM market AND a 7-11 on every block!

There aren't a whole lot of caches in Tokyo, and many of them are virtuals. So there aren't hundreds to choose from - maybe a couple of dozen.

Because of letlag, both Tuesday and Wednesday mornings I woke up very early (for me), around 5-6am. So both days I went caching in the morning, then returned to my hotel, showered and changed, and was off to business meetings by 9am.

For these early morning excursions I took the subway. The Tokyo subway is really quite easy to use, even if you only speak English. You can get a subway map in English at the Tourist Information Center at the airport, and almost all signage in the subways is in both English and Japanese. A one-way ride in the central area costs less than $1.50 (160 yen).

I found "Four Valleys" and "Magneto" this way. Both of these caches are within 0.3 miles of a subway station. Four Valleys was a traditional micro (35mm filmcan), but in a surprisingly green and non-urban setting - by a popular walking / jogging trail that separated a housing neighborhood from a greenbelt / river. At least at this time of year, the sound of cicadas is almost deafening in such a place. I liked the greenness of this place after central Tokyo.

"Magneto" is an equally nice experience. I took the subway for quite a distance out of the central city to an interesting neighborhood. The subway station is in a rather downtown/urban setting, but walking away from the station just a few blocks the area turned quickly into apartment buildings and local neighborhood stores and shops - a nice change from central Tokyo. The cache is on the banks of another very small river - but this one is a rather concrete affair (the river flows through a concrete channel with vertical sides - no trees). Nonetheless, things were very tastefully decorated, with a really nice walking path. The cache was huge for such an area - say 6 x 4 x 2 inches - and was really quite fun.

I was lucky enough to spend an entire vacation day sightseeing. There were a few things I wanted to see, but I let caches set much of the agenda. I visited a very nice cache called ODAIBA. Odaiba is a large (mostly artificial?) island in the harbor. It has great views of a nice suspension bridge and of Tokyo proper. Think Treasure Island in the SF Bay. The island is a new development, with many fancy office buildings - but it also has many attractions - the maritime museum, a small-scale copy of the Statue of Liberty (!!), and others. I spent several hours walking along the nicely manicured waterfront. The ODAIBA cache was a lot of fun, and was a great excuse to come visit this part of Tokyo.

Finally I tried to find "A strange building near Asakusa", which certainly is. It has what appears to be a big mound of golden dog poop about 2 stories tall on top. (It's supposed to be fire - riight.) The cache was a filmcan near a building, and there were so many muggles I felt very exposed - so I only searched for a few minutes before giving up. (I didn't want to have to explain myself to the nearby team of construction workers - with no language in common.)

Asakusa is home of a number of major "mainstream" tourist stops which I was planning to go see anyway, and the building is in a nice part (again, by a river) that I wasn't planning to come to, so I consider all 4 caches to have been time VERY well spent.

So anyway, that was my first experience in Asia, and my first experience in international geocaching. It was a great time!

...Sammydee

Sleep when you're dead! :anitongue:

Last call for all early-riser cachers looking for some "quality" caches tomorrow...

Trailhead to Saluting General at 6am (it's really on your alarm clock, just look).

Contact mjp303 or workerofwood... or just be there on time (I'll have an FRS radio on ch2)

Happy caching!

Be prepared to get wet going for Saluting General at such an early hour. The trail is completely overgrown and you will be in constant contact with head high weed bush things. If there is still dew on them (or moisture from fog), you will end up getting very wet. A waterproof/breathable shell will help. That is a fun hike!

--Marky

There are several local cachers whose names I see in most every log I sign but they're never in the forums here. Geowal701(?) and ProTechCC come to mind. Obviously, having an approved event would help with getting the word out to those folks.

Heya,

ND and I met ProTechCC and ChucklesDA up at Mars Cache (the one up by Mt. Umuhnum). That was back when they first started caching. Nice guys! I hope they make it to an event or two soon.

We had fun in Reno but I'm sad we didn't make it to the un-gathering. As previously stated I would love to help put together an event in this area (Cambrian, San Jose, ??) sometime.

Heya,

ND and I met ProTechCC and ChucklesDA up at Mars Cache (the one up by Mt. Umuhnum). That was back when they first started caching. Nice guys! I hope they make it to an event or two soon.

We had fun in Reno but I'm sad we didn't make it to the un-gathering. As previously stated I would love to help put together an event in this area (Cambrian, San Jose, ??) sometime.

The current plan is to have dinner at Fresh Choice on Friday the 27th at 7:00pm, at Almaden Expwy and Blosson Hill. I need to call the manager and arrange for the back room.

--Marky

The current plan is to have dinner at Fresh Choice on Friday the 27th at 7:00pm, at Almaden Expwy and Blosson Hill. I need to call the manager and arrange for the back room.

--Marky

Hopefully we'll make that one.

FYI - I just submitted the Scotts Vallye Pizza Event this afternoon for 8/14. Should be on the site soon....

I'm noticing that the SF Presidio area has mostly virtuals in it, but there are a couple of older regular caches there also. I believe this is part of the GGNRA, rather than a NF, so cache placements should be within the rules, right?

I tried to find out if a cache at the old sutro baths would be acceptable - there appears to be legal access from the street north of sutro park. Haven't received an answer yet and have heard conflicting opinions from cachers I have talked to about it. Apparently the ban is not just an NF ban, but an NP ban, raising the question - is GGNRA an NP? Best bet is to just hide it and see what they do.

I'm noticing that the SF Presidio area has mostly virtuals in it, but there are a couple of older regular caches there also.  I believe this is part of the GGNRA, rather than a NF, so cache placements should be within the rules, right?

I tried to find out if a cache at the old sutro baths would be acceptable - there appears to be legal access from the street north of sutro park. Haven't received an answer yet and have heard conflicting opinions from cachers I have talked to about it. Apparently the ban is not just an NF ban, but an NP ban, raising the question - is GGNRA an NP? Best bet is to just hide it and see what they do.

Before you go hiding one, you might want to check out mtn-man's comments on this cache. Looks like Sutro Baths is off limits now. :blink:

--Marky

The Scotts Vallye Pizza Event is now set!

Spend the day caching in nearby Henry Cowell in Felton and then come on by for some pizza and stories!

(I promise I don't look like this)

I wonder why your event got approved, being one day before Badges #4 and only 31 miles away, when mine at 21 miles away wasn't approved. Maybe they learned the error of their ways.

Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend either because Anthony is getting married that weekend.

--Marky

I wonder why your event got approved, being one day before Badges #4 and only 31 miles away, when mine at 21 miles away wasn't approved.  Maybe they learned the error of their ways.

Or maybe a different admin (the new one?) approved it? I was kind of wondering about this myself...

Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend either because Anthony is getting married that weekend.

Well, the wedding sounds a little more important. :lol: Congratulations -- soon you will be someone's father-in-law. :blink:

Good questions Marky.

I didn't even look at other events before listing this one. Sorry about the date being so close to the other one, and really sorry you guys can't make it.

I had to pull this together quickly to get it on our calendar before things get crazy this/next month.

I'm keeping my eyes open for the Fresh Choice get together as well -

I tried to find out if a cache at the old sutro baths would be acceptable - there appears to be legal access from the street north of sutro park.  Haven't received an answer yet and have heard conflicting opinions from cachers I have talked to about it.  Apparently the ban is not just an NF ban, but an NP ban, raising the question - is GGNRA an NP?  Best bet is to just hide it and see what they do.

The area around Sutro Baths is a different region than the Presidio -- or so I thought. Perhaps it's not -- each map says something different. The Sutro Baths cache, which I did happen to visit after it went missing (and found a few trade items in the bushes), was behind an orange restoration fence that was posted as an environmentally-sensitive area. So that would be enough to not place caches in the area. The Presidio area definitely is listed as a National Recreation Area rather than a national park on all these maps. If Hemlock or WestCoastAdmin could chime in here, that would be great -- otherwise I'll go ahead and do a placement and see what happens...

I tried to find out if a cache at the old sutro baths would be acceptable - there appears to be legal access from the street north of sutro park.  Haven't received an answer yet and have heard conflicting opinions from cachers I have talked to about it.  Apparently the ban is not just an NF ban, but an NP ban, raising the question - is GGNRA an NP?  Best bet is to just hide it and see what they do.

The area around Sutro Baths is a different region than the Presidio -- or so I thought. Perhaps it's not -- each map says something different. The Sutro Baths cache, which I did happen to visit after it went missing (and found a few trade items in the bushes), was behind an orange restoration fence that was posted as an environmentally-sensitive area. So that would be enough to not place caches in the area. The Presidio area definitely is listed as a National Recreation Area rather than a national park on all these maps. If Hemlock or WestCoastAdmin could chime in here, that would be great -- otherwise I'll go ahead and do a placement and see what happens...

From a Hemlock admin note on a nearby cache:

All National Parks are managed by the National Park Service and are thus off-limits.

National Recreation Areas may be managed by the National Park Service, the Forest Service, or even the Corps of Engineers. Only those managed by the NPS are off-limits for geocaching.

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area is managed by the NPS.

--Marky

From a Hemlock admin note on a nearby cache:

All National Parks are managed by the National Park Service and are thus off-limits.

National Recreation Areas may be managed by the National Park Service, the Forest Service, or even the Corps of Engineers. Only those managed by the NPS are off-limits for geocaching.

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area is managed by the NPS.

Thanks for the clarification, Marky. The Presidio itself is part of the GGNRA, operated by the NPS, e.g. http://www.nps.gov/prsf/. So, nothing new and non-virtual is allowed, I'm concluding...