Certitude Down

Nutty_and_Evil

My DNS provider can see it, and I can reach the site.  It may have been a spurious thing.

certitudes.org.        1800    IN    A    216.239.36.21
certitudes.org.        1800    IN    A    216.239.38.21
certitudes.org.        1800    IN    A    216.239.32.21
certitudes.org.        1800    IN    A    216.239.34.21

EDIT: ...but it doesn't seem possible to reach the site directly via IP address.  These ones seem to point to a DDOS-prevention gateway, and those don't like direct IP addresses...

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I was a little concerned, because it's run by a cacher named xophe who has not cached since 2016.  But the domain doesn't expire until 2022-05-28 and it hasn't been changed recently.

The domain hosting company (enom) seems to be doing a data center migration at the moment and some of their domains aren't resolving properly.  https://enomstatus.com/

Edited by pfalstad
7 hours ago, pfalstad said:

I was a little concerned, because it's run by a cacher named xophe who has not cached since 2016.  But the domain doesn't expire until 2022-05-28 and it hasn't been changed recently.

The domain hosting company (enom) seems to be doing a data center migration at the moment and some of their domains aren't resolving properly.  https://enomstatus.com/

The fact that xophe runs this site concerns me greatly.  As a resident of the Bay Area where he was based, I've also noticed that he hasn't been active since 2016.  If he isn't actively maintaining this site and the domain does indeed expire in May of this year, that means that all of Certitude may go offline in just a few months.  That would cause a major disruption to puzzle caches all over the world.  I've sent a message out to the Facebook group here in the Bay Area to see if anyone is still in contact with xophe.  Perhaps he can transfer ownership of the site to someone that is still active.  Otherwise, something to replace Certitude will need to be developed and hosted elsewhere, though that would still be a major problem since I doubt any of the information in the Certitude database would be transferrable without involvement of the original owner.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, certitude said:

Hello,

As mentioned above, the DNS is down for maintenance and is supposed to be back up some time today. In the meantime, the site can be reached at https://certi-tude.appspot.com/ (with some possible degraded functionalities for anything using the Groundspeak API). DNS status: https://enomstatus.com/

To address other concerns regarding the DNS service, it is renewed automatically on a yearly basis so it will not expire.

Thanks.

DNS still down... Any update? A few hours ago, I submitted a Mystery Cache that relies on Certitude (I buikt the new solution by using the alternative site) and would like to know when the site will be up again to make the cache available to everyone

Although the enom status site says the work is completed, it's still not working, at least not for everyone. Due to the nature of DNS, even if all systems are operational, it make take a few hours for DNS servers around the globe to be up-to-date.

You can still use the certi-tude.appspot.com for your cache, this will always work. Just make sure to replace certitudes.org with certi-tude.appspot.com in your html code.

Edited by certitude
  • Upvote 1

I find it very odd that  you have a web hosting provider that works like this and that you accept this.

I host websites for many years on my own server('s) but never had any downtime for more then 5 minutes. DNS can update in 5 minutes if you change the settings.

Are you even maintaining this website or is it "as is"? A lot of geocachers depends on it, if you need any help or advice you can always contact me thats no issue.

The web hosting provider is google, it's doing fine, the downtime over the past 10 years has been negligible. Domain name registrars are a different beast. Although enom downtime has been negligible too, this one is of epic proportion and has affected millions of domains. Unfortunately certitudes.org is one of them.

• Helpful 2
On 1/16/2022 at 1:17 AM, mblatch said:

The fact that xophe runs this site concerns me greatly.  As a resident of the Bay Area where he was based, I've also noticed that he hasn't been active since 2016.  If he isn't actively maintaining this site and the domain does indeed expire in May of this year, that means that all of Certitude may go offline in just a few months.  That would cause a major disruption to puzzle caches all over the world.  I've sent a message out to the Facebook group here in the Bay Area to see if anyone is still in contact with xophe.  Perhaps he can transfer ownership of the site to someone that is still active.  Otherwise, something to replace Certitude will need to be developed and hosted elsewhere, though that would still be a major problem since I doubt any of the information in the Certitude database would be transferrable without involvement of the original owner.

The user xophe is actually **removed by moderator**. I last communicated with him in March of 2016.    

Edited by BlueRajah
removing personal information

It's not working for me. I am trying to solve a puzzle GC91TRQ and I get a message that We can’t connect to the server at www.certitudes.org. :(. I've tried with Firefox and Safari and get the same result When I go to the Web Site that was posted above, there doesn't seem to be any place where you can solve for a puzzle.

• Funny 1
18 minutes ago, akerdoc said:

It's not working for me. I am trying to solve a puzzle GC91TRQ and I get a message that We can’t connect to the server at www.certitudes.org. :(. I've tried with Firefox and Safari and get the same result When I go to the Web Site that was posted above, there doesn't seem to be any place where you can solve for a puzzle.

Hmm, it's working for me using the link from that cache (and going direct), it's probably to do with the DNS cache at your ISP.

It will probably have sorted itself out for you by tomorrow morning.

• Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

Hmm, it's working for me using the link from that cache (and going direct), it's probably to do with the DNS cache at your ISP.

It will probably have sorted itself out for you by tomorrow morning.

How do you "and going direct".  Does that mean go the Certitude using the link https://certi-tude.appspot.com/

If you go to that link, is there any way to solve the puzzle there?

Thanks for you prompt reply to my question.

• Funny 1

It's not up for everyone just yet, but should be working within a day.  DNS changes take time to propagate.

Of geeky interest, when I look it up manually via Google (8.8.8.8) or Cloudfare (1.1.1.1) DNS, it comes back with the addresses, as you would expect ("it's working").  When I look it up through my normal DNS path (via VPN provider), it still comes back with nothing.  In the morning it should be fine.

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

I've used certitude for years on my puzzle caches, but I don't recall ever seeing this warning before. 

That warning's popped up way in the past for certain links for me, but it now seems to be occurring for links which I've never seen it on before, e.g. Jigidi, certitudes and geochecker.

Maybe TPTB have re-implemented something they had previously removed, or widened the scope of the warning.

35 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

That warning's popped up way in the past for certain links for me, but it now seems to be occurring for links which I've never seen it on before, e.g. Jigidi, certitudes and geochecker.

Maybe TPTB have re-implemented something they had previously removed, or widened the scope of the warning.

Yes I saw it for the first time tonight on a puzzle cache checker link. Then I saw it on a certitude checker link for a different puzzle. 

Edited by Max and 99

Weirdness going on.

First I got this:

image.thumb.png.7783230e46adb1268deb4af35c151622.png

- - - - - - - - -

THEN I followed the alternate link to Certitude posted above in this thread, and after signing into Certitude that way, the  cache I am trying to check does not appear on its list at all. Tried it by phone and by PC - same result.

EDIT: Okay, I searched by owner name and not list by quadrangle, and it showed up. Now let's see if it works... 

Edited by mysterion604