How do I tell people what i'm doing when I cache?

Hjonkers

Title says mostly it all, what's the best way to tell muggles what I'm doing as a GeoCacher when I'm looking for a cache? I look kind of young, so it might seem weird to people who are in the park to see someone who looks under 15 going around looking for something they have no idea about. (BTW, I don't have mobile data, I just download lists and use that. Do lists have all of the data like the hints and stuff?)

What to tell people:  You have to consider each situation on it's own.  If the people seem hostile, "Just taking pictures of the plants, or insects or whatever" works well.  If the people just seem interested you can explain geocaching to them.  Law enforcement:  Always the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 4
6 hours ago, Hjonkers said:

Title says mostly it all, what's the best way to tell muggles what I'm doing as a GeoCacher when I'm looking for a cache? I look kind of young, so it might seem weird to people who are in the park to see someone who looks under 15 going around looking for something they have no idea about. (BTW, I don't have mobile data, I just download lists and use that. Do lists have all of the data like the hints and stuff?)

Most people won't be actually watching you "look around for something".  If you're crawling under an occupied park bench or pushing people aside, that's different.

Often, caches are not where everyone is, or you can access it by planning your approach.  Be aware of your surroundings, and remember that different people may see you placing the container back than saw you looking.  Sometimes it's no big deal if you "put a strange box next to the wall and left", and sometimes it attracts a lot of attention.  But you'll notice that there are times when nobody's in the area, when you can hunt without issue.  Good luck! :)

If I tell people "I'm Geocaching", I'm next asked to explain it.  And then someone will usually say, "Oh yeah I heard about that", although they're still unsure about the fine points.  I print and laminate little cards (with various designs on the back) that have some info to give to people.  They are very handy if a police car is parked right there (police on break), when I want to hunt a cache anyway.

Geocaching Info Cards

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 3
22 hours ago, CawstonGreenway said:

Wear a Hi-Viz vest and everyone totally ignores you because they assume you're there on official business.

We yet to see one person doing this, though we've seen plenty of "posed" pics after calling one's bluff...

Retired LEO, every morning we'd get notice on what's going on in the region.  If you're outta place, I'm stopping by...

These days, when border security is finding illegal aliens that are return criminals, and the explosion of crime with inept DAs, people are more observant than some think. 

Add in the numerous posts you see online of people "not minding their business" (there's areas devoted to exposing "karens"...), and I feel this sounds nice, but not really workable in most situations.

• Upvote 1

I just fill a plastic bag with litter. No one bothers asking what I'm doing.

When I spot the cache, it goes in the bag. A bit later, I take a break from picking up litter, sign the log, and then pick up more litter so I can replace the cache. On my way out, the bag of litter goes into a trash can.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, niraD said:

When I spot the cache, it goes in the bag. A bit later, I take a break from picking up litter, sign the log, and then pick up more litter so I can replace the cache. On my way out, the bag of litter goes into a trash can.

I did this once - the cache was in the guard rail next to a very busy road in a commercial area.  There was plenty of litter to be picked up.

• Upvote 1
On 1/22/2022 at 10:14 PM, niraD said:

We did that once, a guardrail hide series.  Later, we found we probably picked up many of the caches as litter.    :D

We CITO everywhere we goEveryone we're familiar with knows that.

Flattened water bottles with a paper strip inside.   When mentioned at an event, the "CO" didn't gripe about it...

• Funny 1
8 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We did that once, a guardrail hide series.  Later, we found we probably picked up many of the caches as litter.    :D

Yeah, when I hear about "litter caches" that people have designed, I wonder how many of my DNFs have been litter caches.

3 hours ago, niraD said:

Yeah, when I hear about "litter caches" that people have designed, I wonder how many of my DNFs have been litter caches.

Another series in an old logging area now soon-to-be park, had some caches using rusted cans as the outer "containers" along a deer trail (film can inside...).

We were FTF, and mentioned in all our Found Its that had one that we "luckily didn't mistake it for litter".

The new CO was a bit upset until we explained that normally that trash would be in a grocery bag on our way to the cache...   :)

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, instep_guy said:

No need for deception folks.

Sure there is.  But as NanCycle said, it depends on the situation.  OK, maybe it's not "deception", more like "discretion".  There's no need to be wearing a deceptive "official-looking" uniform (although there are times when a reflective vest is important).  But I don't announce that "I'm Geocaching".  And I don't climb over people to get to the cache.  The spot was likely vacant when it was placed, come back when there's no one to tell.

It's fine to not "tell people what you're doing" unless they ask.  I find it, sign and put it back, discretely.  Even when checking my own cache.  Some caches vanish, or the spot gets destroyed, once the park visitors find out about them.  Not deception, but there's sometimes a need for discretion.  Otherwise, you find the cache, you get the smiley, and now the cache is gone.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2

You could use the classic "I lost something" trick or "tie your shoelaces." Otherwise, I also use the excuse "I want to get some fresh air" or "I'm going for a bike ride."

Otherwise, you could still say (if you're climbing a hill and looking for something next to a tree, for example) "I'm still so small and can't see anything from down here. Besides, I have a much nicer view at the top to take pictures".

If I think of anything else, I'll write. I am also a very young geocacher you must know ;-).

16 hours ago, IrishPrincess16 said:

I am usually out with my 9 year old son and we say we are "treasure hunting" and give a brief explanation of Geocaching. 

I've always felt that "Treasure Hunting" is a problematic term in the hobby. 

Unfortunately, it's one that Groundspeak throws around all the time, but we don't like it as it sets an expectation that simply isn't valid, which probably leads some of the wrong people into GC, thinking that they're, well, hunting for treasure, or if not exactly 'treasure', that they're looking for something that they can walk away with.

With exposure to the realities of the hobby, hopefully many can adjust and enjoy it for what it is, but...

Glad to read that you also explain what you're doing and don't just leave it as 'Treasure Hunting."

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I've always felt that "Treasure Hunting" is a problematic term in the hobby. 

- skip - 

Glad to read that you also explain what you're doing and don't just leave it as 'Treasure Hunting."

Yep, we started when it was the "Language of Location", thinking about unique areas and awesome views, and still play the hobby that way.

When explaining the hobby to others with a 9yr old in tow, they'll understand the need to keep the interest of young ones.  :) 

• Helpful 1