GPS compatibility with new USB c 3.1 comm port

jerrymac

Just bought a new Dell 13 9305 to my surprise it only has USB type C 3.1 comm ports.  which is not comparable with my Garman gpsmap 64s .  After getting new cables to connect to computer it displays "cannot recognize connected USB device".  Talked with Garmin tech. and stated that the Garmin GPS does not have a lookup table that the type C protocol recognizes.  The problem is in the Garmin hardware with no fix or workaround.       Anybody else have this problem or better yet a solution?  jmac9900@yahoo.com

That would be very surprising. Garmin has historically had some Very Bad USB implementation quality, but USB3.1 has been around for a while and we've not seen a lot of crowing about this. USB2, USB3.0, and USB 3.1 are all compatible via fallback; if you don't *ask* for the new stuff, or you ask and are declined, you just don't get the new stuff and you get the old protocol levels instead.

Did Garmin really tell you it doesn't work with any computer built in the last 8-9 years with no fix or workaround?

Source: I'm the one that first added Garmin USB support on Mac and Linux , a task involving engineering at Garmin and Apple, and even now my software supports more Garmins on USB on Mac and Linux than even Garmin does...

• Helpful 1
18 hours ago, jerrymac said:

Just bought a new Dell 13 9305 to my surprise it only has USB type C 3.1 comm ports.  which is not comparable with my Garman gpsmap 64s .  After getting new cables to connect to computer it displays "cannot recognize connected USB device".  Talked with Garmin tech. and stated that the Garmin GPS does not have a lookup table that the type C protocol recognizes.  The problem is in the Garmin hardware with no fix or workaround.       Anybody else have this problem or better yet a solution?  jmac9900@yahoo.com

Where and when do you see the error "cannot recognize connected USB device"?

You can try another new USB data cable, and different USB ports on the PC.  There are likely a bunch of firmware updates available for drivers on the Dell.  See their support site for your model of PC.

1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

BTW, is the new DELL laptop running Windows 11? If yes, that is likely the primary issue. 

The Dell store says the "Dell 13 9305" has "Windows 11", which is fascinating, since there are posts about USB issues as early as 2016.  So it's been around for a while, built ready for Windows 11?  Yet it's not a high-end laptop!

My desktop PC (also Dell) is from 2018 and cannot run Win 11.  It connects fine to my Garmin Oregon 750, and it has a "USB-C" port, but I haven't tested its connectivity.  I don't have that kind of cable.  :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Yes, it is running Win 11 from Dell.  The problem shows up when first connecting the cable to the Garmin, starts showing the Garmin logo in the normal start up sequence, then instead of going to the mass storage mode and showing the USB  symbol it goes right into the normal run mode.   I tried connecting the laptop to an external Western digital HD and it seemed to work fine showing the root directory but did not try writing to the drive will try that.   From that I assumed that the cable was OK.  I also have a Dell desk top running Win 11 with type A USB and it loads Garmin OK.    The USB cable I got from Amazon description reads as follows:

Mini USB to Type C cable, Ancable 3-ft. USB C to Mini 5-pin cable charging cord Support sync data for compatible with digital camera, MP3 player, GPS.

The I was guessing that the "support syn data was r/w  maybe not? 

Any other thoughts?

Thanks to all that have replied to this problem.  The problem has been solved with a new Mini USB to type C cable.  A lot of confusion regarding compatible comm port, hardware, software, and USB devices.  Hopefully to clear the air I have found the following:

1) The Dell 13 XPS 9305 works with Win 11 and the USB 3.2 type C port

2) The Garmin GPSMAP 64S is compatible with the above config.

3) The USB type C 3.2 to Mini B cable for GPS, game controller and legacy USB peripherals must also support Hi-Speed USB 2.0 data transfer

4) The Garmin GPSMAP 64s can be forced into USB Mass storage mode during start up.  Go to "gpsrchive.com"

5) I do not know if my original cable was bad or did not support Hi-Speed USB 2.0 data transfer.  At any rate it did not communicate with Garmin.

6) Really got bumm information from Garmin tech support that Garmin device  did not support USB 3.2

Thanks again,

jerrymac

• Helpful 1
10 hours ago, jerrymac said:

6) Really got bumm information from Garmin tech support that Garmin device  did not support USB 3.2

I imagine it will be another 10 years or so before Garmin starts supporting USB 3.0 or higher, let alone USB-C. Garmin does GPS rather well. Integrating current technology with their latest models... not so much.

9 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I imagine it will be another 10 years or so before Garmin starts supporting USB 3.0 or higher, let alone USB-C. Garmin does GPS rather well. Integrating current technology with their latest models... not so much.

I have no idea where you are getting your misinformation,  but Garmin currently produce multiple USB-C models. 

9 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

I have no idea where you are getting your misinformation,  but Garmin currently produce multiple USB-C models. 

Are they... handhelds? Because even the more recently released Montana 700  and gpsMAP 66 series still uses a micro-USB. I'm getting my information from Garmin's historical practices - using their proprietary serial connection in the 2000's and even using their modified serial protocol over USB up to 2008, long after standard USB had been in practice. Switching from mini-USB to micro-USB at a time when the rest of tech was ditching micro-USB for USB-C in the mid-2010's. 

I'm not as concerned about what they do with their automotive, aviation, and marine line-up. I can't take those hiking with me.

Edited by Mineral2
  • Helpful 1

Play nice, guys. You two don't have to snip at each other every time.

In this group, it's reasonable for "Garmin" to default to handheld/outdoors class hardware. We may have GPS experts, but this is still a geocaching forum and an encyclopedic recall of their backup cams or body scales isn't required.

• Love 1

M2, I love you, man! :wub:

Seriously, Garmin are starting to release models with USB-C (finally) and I am very happy to see it. 

Garmin users should keep in mind that once a platform is designed, it is not so simple to just update the USB interface, there is far more than meets the eye in so doing, much more than just swapping out the USB connector on the GPSr. So, when a 'new' USB standard is released, there may already be multiple 'new' models 'in the works' that will not even be released for a year or more, and then sold for many years after that, giving the impression that Garmin is 'behind the times'.

They have come a long way...

:D