ISS partner search or iss seen

Ariberna

I've been checking and couldn't find a thread for this type of WM. How many times can we see a satellite and we have not had time to talk with a partner, or even two partners saw a satellite, but someone who also saw it (and is within the distance of being able to share WM) is left without being able to register it? Well, here we can write down what we saw or did (especially those that were not published)

6 minutes ago, Ariberna said:

I've been checking and couldn't find a thread for this type of WM. How many times can we see a satellite and we have not had time to talk with a partner, or even two partners saw a satellite, but someone who also saw it (and is within the distance of being able to share WM) is left without being able to register it? Well, here we can write down what we saw or did (especially those that were not published)

Can you break that down into smaller questions for me?

Are you saying that we can use this thread for posting our experiences watching the ISS when we could not post a waymark for it?

Edited by Max and 99

For example: today I'm walking here and I see and took photo of one satellite, that I didn't create and I put here that I saw XXX ISS. Other person that could have the same answer and we can create an ISS.

Or I put here that the day 20 this ISS couod be available for me https://heavens-above.com/passdetails.aspx?lat=42.3178&lng=-7.8817&loc=A+Valenzá&alt=0&tz=CET&satid=25544&mjd=59599.7873998792&type=V And other write that is interested.

Sorry for my english skills

This expresion "or even two partners saw a satellite, but someone who also saw it (and is within the distance of being able to share WM) is left without being able to register it?" 

Was a mistake because at that time I did not perceive that this problem would be solved by seeing the published WM of two colleagues.

The last sentence: "well,..." It is a redundancy of if I see an ISS or I am going to see and I did not notify a colleague, to be able to put here in case someone who saw it appears.

At the moment I'm happy because I saw ISS with french Waymarkers. But I thought about this thread because while walking on vacation I saw one with the family in the Canary Islands and it was a shame

Edited by Ariberna
58 minutes ago, Ariberna said:

This expresion "or even two partners saw a satellite, but someone who also saw it (and is within the distance of being able to share WM) is left without being able to register it?" 

Was a mistake because at that time I did not perceive that this problem would be solved by seeing the published WM of two colleagues.

The last sentence: "well,..." It is a redundancy of if I see an ISS or I am going to see and I did not notify a colleague, to be able to put here in case someone who saw it appears.

At the moment I'm happy because I saw ISS with french Waymarkers. But I thought about this thread because while walking on vacation I saw one with the family in the Canary Islands and it was a shame

Great idea to post here

17 hours ago, Ariberna said:

You have possible partnerships on January 20, 21 and 23 with Tours France. All evening passes! 

You: 

Jan 20, 78°, 19:50:28

Jan 21, 63°, 19:02:33

Jan 23, 50°, 19:03:28

On 1/13/2022 at 11:57 AM, Ariberna said:

When you are at home, you have learned that your Southwest to Northeast ISS Passes always pass near Tours, France or Wimille, France. This always gives you partners.

When you travel away from home, you have not learned what Town, Country the ISS Path takes you to. You can learn and be prepared before your next trip to the Canary Islands, or any other distant point that you plan to visit.

This is a two part process. Part 1 is changing Heavens above to search for passes at your new location.

Go to your normal Heavens Above page.

At the top left, under Configuration - click on "Change your observing location."

Scroll down below the map to "Enter place to search for" and enter a Town, Country. Then hit the Search button. When you know you have the right location, scroll down and hit the UPDATE button. Now you can do your search at the new location.

PART 2 will be posted soon.

• Helpful 1

PART 2 - Finding a Partner for a temporary Location.

When you travel to a location away from your home, you also have to find new Partners for your ISS observation.
To find a Partner, you have to know what other cities the ISS passes over when it passes over your new location.
To find these cities, let's take an imaginary ride on an invisible ISS Pass.
Our new location will be Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands.
The current list only shows two visible Passes. Both are below 45° Altitude. Just above that list there is a choice to make:
"Passes to Include: O visible only O all" Click on "all"
Now you are seeing the two Visible Passes AND all the invisible Passes. Invisible Passes occur during daylight and at night when the ISS is in the Earth's shadow (unlit).
We want to choose a Southwest to Northeast Pass with the Highest ALT number. January 30 with ALT=88° works best. That is an invisible daylight Pass directly overhead. Click on that pass and then look at the Ground Track. Follow the track to the Northeast until it meets the coast of Spain. Look at a map of Spain and we can tell we are near the City of Sevilla.
We open another Heavens Above page and change our location to Sevilla, Spain. Once again, View ALL passes and we see on January 30 Sevilla is at 86°. Click on that Pass and go to the Ground Track page. Go to the Northeast end of the path and we are now near the France/ Italy border. You can continue this Path as far as you wish.
When searching for Partners along this line, your search can be 350 km perpendicular to and on either side of that path and your partner will still be within the 45° minimum ALT requirement. These distances and ALT ° are only good for this very high pass. The lower your ALT° the closer to the pass line your partner needs to be. Try to find a partner as close to the line as possible.

Any Questions - Contact me at 8nuts1@gmail.com

Hi,

Anyone could have visible passes of ISS  february 2 https://heavens-above.com/passdetails.aspx?lat=42.3178&lng=-7.8817&loc=A+Valenzá&alt=0&tz=CET&satid=25544&mjd=59612.8226736576&type=V    

and february 3  https://heavens-above.com/passdetails.aspx?lat=42.3178&lng=-7.8817&loc=A+Valenzá&alt=0&tz=CET&satid=25544&mjd=59613.7893851944&type=V  ?

Will be from WNW and NW , and I see often when it came of the SW .  20:39 and 19:51 Spanish time  GMT+1

I saw that - and wondered, will this be the first WM category to come to an end for new waymarks, OR was that already Yellow Arrows?* Toynbee tiles disappearing from Earth too - hmm

Note to community- Blasterz are generally available for a partnership. We are in Dallas TX

ETA: *Yellow Arrows accepting waymarks from former locations. Last new waymarks were posted in 2021! :) I have some visits to make -- I actually went to Tulsa OK to see my first, then discovered geojeepsters found one on the back of a sign at the Tarrant county TX Courthouse, 30 miles from my home! HA

WRT Toynbee tiles:  new waymarks being accepted as of 2020! :) Newest posts are in Tulsa - looks like I'm going back! I literally tripped over one crossing the street in Philadelphia, but I have never posted a WM of my own for either of these categories.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

I admit I don't really follow the ISS, but a news article said it was going to pass right over my house at 89° at 8:25 last night.  Hubby and I watched it, I snapped a couple of pics and a video with my phone (not the greatest but you can see it!) - we heard about it an hour before it passed overhead.  Is there any way I can post a visit to this one after the fact? Or do I have to partner up with someone prior to watching it pass over?

Screenshot_20220318-145836.thumb.jpg.8f6a10fb50d3ead53dc5c87222e0f6fe.jpg

On 2/5/2022 at 8:31 AM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Note to community- Blasterz are generally available for a partnership. We are in Dallas TX

You can join us for tonight's pass but we have to wait till afterwards to see who can partner with who, if any. I can't make any promises but I'll do my best to include everyone who can see the ISS. 

We have Oklahoma (2), Kansas has bad weather, Michigan and Ohio. 

If you're okay with that uncertainty here's the data for Dallas:

Screenshot_20220318-180322.png

Edited by Max and 99
35 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You can join us for tonight's pass but we have to wait till afterwards to see who can partner with who, if any. I can't make any promises but I'll do my best to include everyone who can see the ISS. 

We have Oklahoma (2), Kansas has bad weather, Michigan and Ohio. 

If you're okay with that uncertainty here's the data for Dallas:

Screenshot_20220318-180322.png

Count us IN for College Station  ‘- I’m dropping a kid off at A&M after spring break 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
Update info
6 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Is there any way I can post a visit to this one after the fact? Or do I have to partner up with someone prior to watching it pass over?

You can post a waymark if you can find a partner who meets the requirements and also watched the same pass of the ISS. This is unlikely. In my experience, it usually requires planning ahead and scouting out possible partners.

Regarding visiting a waymark, here are the criteria:

Visit requirements:

Listed below are the latest Visitation Rules for the ISS Sightings Game. Simply read the steps beginning with both number ones and go to whatever step it tells you to go to next.

1 You observed a community pass (distance is irrelevant in this case) Go to 2.

1 You observed a pass that has no waymark established. Go to 6.

2 You already own an ISS waymark. Go to 5

2 You do not own an ISS waymark. Go to 3

3 The ISS passed over your location at or above the minimum altitude requirement. Go to 4

3 The ISS passed over your location under the minimum altitude requirement. Go to 6

4 Feel free to make a visit to the nearest waymark established for the community pass you also observed. You must list (1) the date, (2) the time of your local maximum altitude, (3) your maximum local altitude and (4) upload a Heavens-Above image of the ground track past you position. NOTE! If you have a GPSr and a digital camera, please post a photograph of your GPSr next to the printed ground track image. Take the picture at the location from where the observation was made.

5 No matter what the altitude of your pass you may visit the nearest waymark made for a community pass that you also observed. See 4 above for more details.

6 Sorry but you cannot claim a visit.

Here in Germany the ISS would have been visible for the time of 21:49 to 21:55 just over the horizon and below the feet of Orion. Best time to see was from 21:53:14 to 21:55:12 ...

But there were two major impediments :

1.  it was very cloudy
  2. The trees and hills from my viewpoint are reaching higher then the feet of Orion. So the ISS would be invisible ...

Looking at the next possible transit for the next ten days, I would only have the current day between 21:04:02 and 21:08:27 with the same conditions as yesterday.

So no luck ...

See also https://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=50.829753&lng=6.923351&loc=Brühl&alt=50&tz=CET

Edited by FamilieFrohne
Added link

I just re-read the rules on this type of waymark. Even if we could see the ISS at the same time, it is nearly impossible to satisfy the 45° angle rule for both of us (Germany and Spain). Nearly, but I found one possible candidate in the next months:

14.05.2022 - 23:46:12 (10° WSW) - 23:49:29 (60° NNW) - 23:52:48 (10° NO) - regarding the coordinates N 42.3178 W 7.8817 (your site)
14.05.2022 - 23:49:37 (10° WSW) - 23:52:55 (69° SSO) - 23:56:15 (10° ONO) - regarding the coordinates N50.829753 E6.923351 (my site)

May 14th is also a Saturday - good conditions, since the next day there should be no work. Hope that there is no bad weather for the day.

So - would you like to join me in the hunt for the ISS?

Or anybody else between Germany and Spain, because the angle should be also between 60° and 69° during that time?

2 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

14.05.2022 - 23:46:12 (10° WSW) - 23:49:29 (60° NNW) - 23:52:48 (10° NO) - regarding the coordinates N 42.3178 W 7.8817 (your site)
14.05.2022 - 23:49:37 (10° WSW) - 23:52:55 (69° SSO) - 23:56:15 (10° ONO) - regarding the coordinates N50.829753 E6.923351 (my site)

OK for me, just not forget to remember me few days before

• Helpful 1

If only I'd had sense enough to move to the East Coast when I had the chance a few years ago, some of these may have become possible.

Not sure (read NO IDEA) how much of the European continent I may have been able to connect with from there, and I'm not about to start in on the trigonometry, (too old and too lazy) but mebbe, just as a mathematical exercise (or even the flexing of one's mathematical muscles - {fine with me}), one of our younger, mathematically inclined and ambitious members may be willing to take on the challenge: :lostsignal:

Summerside, PEI, Canada vs Europe. :drama:

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
15 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Well, at least this would be possible. When the ISS is right over your head, then the same pass will hit France (near Brest), Switzerland (near Genf) and the central part of Italy (near Florence). When this event may occur I didn't check.

ISS1.jpg.6d15b5314d8eaf60964f71916e75af61.jpg

Edit: Found a pair for Summerside and Brest

Summerside: 30.04.2022 05:17 - 05:23 (angle 52°)

Brest: 30.04.2022 05:38 - 05:43 (angle 58°)

Sorry - didn't see that the timezone shifted in the list ... :/

Edit2: But now

Summerside: 13.05.2022 22:40 - 22:45 (56°)

Brest: 13:05.2022 04:39 - 04:46 (88°)

Edited by FamilieFrohne
21 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Well, at least this would be possible. When the ISS is right over your head, then the same pass will hit France (near Brest), Switzerland (near Genf) and the central part of Italy (near Florence). When this event may occur I didn't check.

ISS1.jpg.6d15b5314d8eaf60964f71916e75af61.jpg

Edit: Found a pair for Summerside and Brest

Summerside: 30.04.2022 05:17 - 05:23 (angle 52°)

Brest: 30.04.2022 05:38 - 05:43 (angle 58°)

Sorry - didn't see that the timezone shifted in the list ... :/

Edit2: But now

Summerside: 13.05.2022 22:40 - 22:45 (56°)

Brest: 13:05.2022 04:39 - 04:46 (88°)

Looks like if I was still on the east coast of the US, I could have helped with this flyover. The path goes down the eastern seaboard. Sadly, I am not at the moment. I'll still offer help for a flyover the west coast of the US.

22 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Well ... nobody noticed (including me) that I've looked for the wrong dates for Brest - the time difference from Summerside to Brest is +5 hours meaning that May 13th at 10:40 p.m. would be May 14th at 03:40 a.m. in Brest and not May 13th at 04:39 a.m. (maybe I should go back to school and take some astronomy classes for understanding orbital mechanics right).

But luckily we have another pass that fits for the time: 14.05.2022 03:51 - 03:57 (67°) - and if I look at the ground track for this pass we even might see it in Germany and Spain (although not in the right angle)

On 4/5/2022 at 2:05 AM, ScroogieII said:

one of our younger, mathematically inclined and ambitious members may be willing to take on the challenge

So ... Keith, here is your chance.

18 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Well ... nobody noticed (including me) that I've looked for the wrong dates for Brest - the time difference from Summerside to Brest is +5 hours meaning that May 13th at 10:40 p.m. would be May 14th at 03:40 a.m. in Brest and not May 13th at 04:39 a.m. (maybe I should go back to school and take some astronomy classes for understanding orbital mechanics right).

But luckily we have another pass that fits for the time: 14.05.2022 03:51 - 03:57 (67°) - and if I look at the ground track for this pass we even might see it in Germany and Spain (although not in the right angle)

So ... Keith, here is your chance.

Unfortunately, this Pass has a major flaw also. The Pass enters the Earth's shadow for 4 minutes as it crosses the Atlantic Ocean.

When the ISS enters the Earths shadow, that is the end of an observed Pass.

When the ISS comes out of the Earths shadow, that is the beginning of a new observed Pass.

This photo shows the Pass with the entire 4 minute shadow.

The Summerside Pass is inserted into the photo of the Pass viewed from N51.80 W40.00 for your comparison.

If this Pass had occurred 2 days later. The sun would have been high enough to keep the ISS in sunlight along the entire Pass.

ISS May 13.jpg

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
Added the final sentence.
15 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Unfortunately, this Pass has a major flaw also. The Pass enters the Earth's shadow for 4 minutes as it crosses the Atlantic Ocean

Sigh.

The next possibility without the ISS being in the earth shadow would then be on July 13th:

Summerside: 13.07.2022 22:34 - 22:45 (65°)

Brest: 14.07.2022 03:44 - 03:55 (73°)

It would also be possible for both partners to view the ISS at the same time (in the 18 seconds between *:44:54 and *:45:12), although the ISS would be below 10° then.

And another bit: The ISS would also be visible in Brühl: 14.07.2022 03:46 - 03:57 (40°) - but that would not count for being under 45° max.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:49 AM, FamilieFrohne said:

I just re-read the rules on this type of waymark. Even if we could see the ISS at the same time, it is nearly impossible to satisfy the 45° angle rule for both of us (Germany and Spain). Nearly, but I found one possible candidate in the next months:

May 14th is also a Saturday - good conditions, since the next day there should be no work. Hope that there is no bad weather for the day.

So - would you like to join me in the hunt for the ISS?

Or anybody else between Germany and Spain, because the angle should be also between 60° and 69° during that time?

Watch your data carefully. It changes over time.

This post on Monday shows your pass at 23:52:55 (69° SSO)

Five days later, today, it shows your pass at 23:57:50 (72° SSO)

What will it be 26 days from now on May 14?

As the path of the Pass moves closer to you and your xx° rises, the path is moving away from Alfouine and his xx° is dropping. Will he be below 45°?

How much will the Pass change if you are planning a Pass 75 days from now in July?

4 hours ago, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

How much will the Pass change if you are planning a Pass 75 days from now in July?

Well ... the example of Summerside in Canada and Brest in Europe we did was for showing that it just would be possible to find a date to observe. For my part I probably would not participate in sightings that are on weekdays between  11 p.m. and 6 a.m. - as I have to go to work and being tired on purpose would not be a good thing.

I know it would not be an easy task to find a matching date for Canada and Europe and due to corrections in the flight path of the ISS it might become obsolete later on, but now we know it could be possible. You just have to look at the data at regular intervals.

For the example in Europe: it might be possible that there are changes that won't allow us to see the sighting (i.e. due to bad weather), but the distance is shorter than Canada and Europe, so that there should be more opportunities for the next appointment. We will watch the data changing and decide then ...