Geocaching hit the front page of the San Jose Mercury News today!

newoldstock

Indeed it did. There's a very nice article in today's Merc (complete with sizable front page photo) about geocaching. The best part about it is that there's no bias. The article is informational, espouses the fun of the sport-hobby, and doesn't attempt the muck-racking anti-environmental thing that other media have delved into in the past. Good, clean, happy fun. Check it out if you get the chance.

-barefoot

quote:
Originally posted by barefoot&twinkle:

Indeed it did. There's a very nice article in today's Merc (complete with sizable front page photo) about geocaching. The best part about it is that there's no bias. The article is informational, espouses the fun of the sport-hobby, and doesn't attempt the muck-racking anti-environmental thing that other media have delved into in the past. Good, clean, happy fun. Check it out if you get the chance.

-barefoot

Thanks for the information, barefoot. I got ahold of the article and it is the most poitive that I have seen so far.

We're the ones mentioned in the article. And we're glad that people in the geocaching community seem to approve of this one; we tried to make sure that geocaching was accurately represented in it.

It was great that Mike, the reporter who wrote the story, kept us in the loop as the article was taking shape. I'd say it's a pretty well-written article, especially considering all the extra information we kept feeding him. We couldn't help it-- we love talking about geocaching. icon_biggrin.gif

Colleen and Andrew

Team Dralasites

p.s. Here are links to the article:

photo of front page:

http://www.sportsflea.com/cgi-bin/snapshot/merc/front/page1a.cgi?2002/8/15

the article:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/3867564.htm

Dralasites: biological, not geological.

[This message was edited by Team Dralasites on August 16, 2002 at 04:01 PM.]

We're the ones mentioned in the article. And we're glad that people in the geocaching community seem to approve of this one; we tried to make sure that geocaching was accurately represented in it.

It was great that Mike, the reporter who wrote the story, kept us in the loop as the article was taking shape. I'd say it's a pretty well-written article, especially considering all the extra information we kept feeding him. We couldn't help it-- we love talking about geocaching. icon_biggrin.gif

Colleen and Andrew

Team Dralasites

p.s. Here are links to the article:

photo of front page:

http://www.sportsflea.com/cgi-bin/snapshot/merc/front/page1a.cgi?2002/8/15

the article:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/3867564.htm

[This message was edited by Team Dralasites on August 16, 2002 at 04:01 PM.]

We have no idea why they wanted to do an article on geocaching. Random human interest story?

And the reporter did not go geocaching with us. They sent their photographer instead, to follow us around while we went geocaching for the day.

It was interesting, actually...that had to be our worst geocaching day ever. Out of the four or so that we went after, we only managed to find one. icon_eek.gif

On a slightly different topic...barefoot and twinkle, we didn't know you were cichlid keepers. We have some Neolamprologus multifasciatus in our apartment. We don't have much room for anything else at the moment, unfortunately.

We have no idea why they wanted to do an article on geocaching. Random human interest story?

And the reporter did not go geocaching with us. They sent their photographer instead, to follow us around while we went geocaching for the day.

It was interesting, actually...that had to be our worst geocaching day ever. Out of the four or so that we went after, we only managed to find one. icon_eek.gif

On a slightly different topic...barefoot and twinkle, we didn't know you were cichlid keepers. We have some Neolamprologus multifasciatus in our apartment. We don't have much room for anything else at the moment, unfortunately.

quote:
Originally posted by bykenut:

Great article! icon_smile.gif

Inquiring minds want to know though - how it came about that the San Jose Mercury decided to do an article on geocaching? Also, did Mike, the reporter, go geocaching with Team Dralasites? icon_confused.gif

You might try asking Mike how he decided to do the article. He's responded to my email in the past.

Also, I wanted to say, (in about the fouth place,) that the article has led to at least three people logging my caches and saying that reading the Merc is what got them into the hobby.

If you really want to praise the article, send email to Mike at MAntonucci@sjmercury.com and let him know. You might even email the Merc and ask them to do a follow up story.

quote:
Originally posted by bykenut:

Great article! icon_smile.gif

Inquiring minds want to know though - how it came about that the San Jose Mercury decided to do an article on geocaching? Also, did Mike, the reporter, go geocaching with Team Dralasites? icon_confused.gif

You might try asking Mike how he decided to do the article. He's responded to my email in the past.

Also, I wanted to say, (in about the fouth place,) that the article has led to at least three people logging my caches and saying that reading the Merc is what got them into the hobby.

If you really want to praise the article, send email to Mike at MAntonucci@sjmercury.com and let him know. You might even email the Merc and ask them to do a follow up story.