Yrium's Geocacher Trading Cards

yrium

What happened to this topic? I couldn't find it on the West and Southwest page...

I noticed that too. It dropped off "My Topics" list as well so you have to hunt around to find it.

-GD

I see it came back on Topics list once I added the above reply. Must need to get traffic once in awhile to stay active. Guess I need to get back to placing cards in remote places ...

-GD

What happened to this topic? I couldn't find it on the West and Southwest page...

I noticed that too. It dropped off "My Topics" list as well so you have to hunt around to find it.

-GD

I see it came back on Topics list once I added the above reply. Must need to get traffic once in awhile to stay active. Guess I need to get back to placing cards in remote places ...

-GD

Seems there are actually 2 pages of topics and you have to click to the 2nd page when the topic is inactive long enough to get bumped to the 2nd page...

:D We are still trying to finish our collection, but it is getting harder and harder. Yes, please place some more!! They don't all have to be in remote places Gecko Dad! :D

Trailgators placed a Dak Girls card in Tombraider on Saturday...Oh, we were there after you. If you need it you'll have to go back. :):D:)

hmmm... and I thought I dropped the card in..... :D

:rolleyes: We are still trying to finish our collection, but it is getting harder and harder. Yes, please place some more!! They don't all have to be in remote places Gecko Dad! B)

Trailgators placed a Dak Girls card in Tombraider on Saturday...Oh, we were there after you. If you need it you'll have to go back. :(:(:(

hmmm... and I thought I dropped the card in..... :(

:( Thank goodness we have the Dak Girls card!! B) We do have a few cards to trade if anyone wants to E mail us off line. Sorry we missed all you guys Saturday, we went so early that we never could have caught up with you. B)

Edited by jahoadi and john
:( We are still trying to finish our collection, but it is getting harder and harder. Yes, please place some more!! They don't all have to be in remote places Gecko Dad! :(

Trailgators placed a Dak Girls card in Tombraider on Saturday...Oh, we were there after you. If you need it you'll have to go back. :rolleyes::(:(

hmmm... and I thought I dropped the card in..... :(

Oops. You know all you geocachers look alike. B)

We were wondering if anyone would like to trade....Sumrall and I are reducing our collection from two of each to one of each.

We have the following extras (one each):

YP 1 & 6

YMS 1, 007, 9, 10, 13, 15, 18(mp), 19, 21, 22, 22(mp), 23, 23(mp), 25 & 25(mp)

We need:

YP 16, 17 & 20

UDesignit 2

Original UDesignit Travelbug Card

We also need Misprints for: YMS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 007, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 & 30. (not sure how many of the YMS's had misprints).

This is still my trade list!

Hear ye! Hear Ye!

After a long hiatus, the Yrium Cards are back in production. I am currently holding for distribution 2x each of YMS 1-18. Watch my movements for placement of these cards. My present intention is to continue through the YMS Series and then start on the YP1, YP2 and Udesignit cards. Something like 12 or so cards per week (i.e., 2x each of YMS 19-24, then 2x each of YMS 25-30, etc). You might even catch a misprint or two if you are really lucky (assuming that dastardly misprinter hasn't moved on to greener pastures...) This program should rotate quickly through the series so that alert cachers will have an opportunity to complete their sets (are you listening FATTBOY?!?).

That is all...

Also, I am currently accepting suggestions for a new series of cards. Whatcha all think? Just continue the same concept or come up with some new variation? Please do not be shy in providing input. Post here or send me a private e-mail message.

I am sure you have heard this idea many times before, but maybe discussing it in forum will help mature the idea. A new set of cards using the best caches list. The "photos" could include cache owner and landmark terrain features, the description could include colorful quotes from various logs about the cache. As an added bonus I would suggest including an additional hint at the cache if the owner is willing to provide one, it would make the cards even more valuable.

Also, I am currently accepting suggestions for a new series of cards. Whatcha all think? Just continue the same concept or come up with some new variation? Please do not be shy in providing input. Post here or send me a private e-mail message.

O'm'gosh! another series of midnight runs to Max's Favorite Park. Looks like I better stock up on my med's.

I shall never forget one midnight as I sat on the curb beside the cache to grab a set of the latest release. Suddenly I realized that somebody was crashing through the trees and bushes above and heading directly toward me. Yikes! Turned out to by DHSundance racing to pick up a set of his own YMS #27 cards.

Many times I encountered another cacher at that park rushing to lay hands on a set of first releases before dawn. Nightime runs after Yrium cards was a rare and frankly idiotic thrill for this old guy, you know, one of those behaviors that can to cause my sweet bride to roll her eyes and utter that expressive shshing noise of disapproval that an ex-nun does so well.

I've given a lot of thought to some new approach but in the end I think that more of the same is an idea that's hard to beat if you have the time and energy for it Tom.

Your pal,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

I love the general concept of having cards for local cachers. At the last campout event, an LA cachers asked me what were the Yrium cards being auctioned. She seemed envious of the idea.

What I didn't like about the cards was the manner of selecting the next cacher. There are inherent prejudices in the selection process. Cachers have almost died trying to grab the card just to select their candidate :(:sad:. I must say it does contribute to the fun factor, but I'd rather see this part of the selection process altered to a more objective process. Maybe a rotating committee? Draw of the hat?

I love the general concept of having cards for local cachers. At the last campout event, an LA cachers asked me what were the Yrium cards being auctioned. She seemed envious of the idea.

What I didn't like about the cards was the manner of selecting the next cacher. There are inherent prejudices in the selection process. Cachers have almost died trying to grab the card just to select their candidate :cry::(. I must say it does contribute to the fun factor, but I'd rather see this part of the selection process altered to a more objective process. Maybe a rotating committee? Draw of the hat?

Isn't it so that in the beginning there was no selection process other than Yrium's own personal choice ... as in "Yrium's Pals" and that was that, yes?

So maybe the selection process should revert to the original approach. How would it do to assign the selection task to an impartial but permanent judge that has the advantage of a detached view of activities within our San Diego Geocaching community, let's say that commie-pinko reviewer guy Marco Ramius? :sad:

The uDesignit cards could continue but with a twist, finding one would simply trigger the process for issuing a new card rather than granting authority to select an honoree. That way FlagMan would still maintain control of design, production, and release workload to suit his needs.

Edited by SD Rowdies

What I didn't like about the cards was the manner of selecting the next cacher. There are inherent prejudices in the selection process. Cachers have almost died trying to grab the card just to select their candidate :cry::(. I must say it does contribute to the fun factor, but I'd rather see this part of the selection process altered to a more objective process. Maybe a rotating committee? Draw of the hat?

Isn't it so that in the beginning there was no selection process other than Yrium's own personal choice ... as in "Yrium's Pals" and that was that, yes?

So maybe the selection process should revert to the original approach. How would it do to assign the selection task to an impartial but permanent judge that has the advantage of a detached view of activities within our San Diego Geocaching community, let's say that commie-pinko reviewer guy Marco Ramius? :sad:

The uDesignit cards could continue but with a twist, finding one would simply trigger the process for issuing a new card rather than granting authority to select an honoree. That way FlagMan would still maintain control of design, production, and release workload to suit his needs.

Though I was never able to catch up to the UDesignIt TB (alas), I liked the idea of having the finder get to choose the next victim. It gave the community at-large a chance to participate. In a sense, "ownership" of the cards passed from Yrium, via FlagMan, to the San Diego geocaching community. Going to a committee or judge (even one as esteemed and honorable as Marco Ramius) would make the process more exclusive and cliquish.

Regardless of the final decision on this, I am very happy to hear that the cards may return. Although I've avoided collecting them myself (I collect way too many things as it is), I've always enjoyed seeing the new ones when they came out. I look forward to seeing the next one.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Maybe twist it away from "geocachers" and focus them on "caches"? UDesignit finders would select a cache in San Diego County that they really enjoyed. I'm sure Yrium would appreciate this approach since the time of his passing to now has seen so much change in the type and style of caching in SD. Remember the "Scenic Caches of the Great American Southwest" that Radical Geezer put out? I was fortunate enough to have collected a set of these and they are just spectacular. Many of the caches no longer exist but they live on in the cards he made.

Better yet, after a year of selecting the next "cache" victim and collecting the YriumCacheCards we would have a collection of cards dubbed "The Best of San Diego County by San Diego County Geocachers SERIES"

My 2 Cents

PW

Here is another suggestion for new YMS cards: A pool of names. The initial pool could be chosen by the maker, say 3-5 names of deserving cachers, where one is drawn to be the current card. When someone finds the udesignit card, they nominate a person to go into the pool... with another random drawing for the card. This will not assure their choice, but they will be in the pool. I think it would be nice if the udesignit card was put into caches without anyones knowledge so it would be a surprise finding it and possibly a new experience for a newer cacher. I still remember the joy of finding the card when I didn't even know what it was.

Here is another suggestion for new YMS cards: A pool of names. The initial pool could be chosen by the maker, say 3-5 names of deserving cachers, where one is drawn to be the current card. When someone finds the udesignit card, they nominate a person to go into the pool... with another random drawing for the card. This will not assure their choice, but they will be in the pool. I think it would be nice if the udesignit card was put into caches without anyones knowledge so it would be a surprise finding it and possibly a new experience for a newer cacher. I still remember the joy of finding the card when I didn't even know what it was.

I SECOND THAT MOTION,GOOD IDEAL.

Announcing the newest in the various series of Yrium Trading Cards:

Yrium Cards - The Next Generation!

The theme of this series is NO RULES, JUST RIGHT!

Basically anything goes -- within reason. As before, you need to grab the Udesignit TB to have the privilege of naming the subject of the next card. Any subject relating to Geocaching is acceptable -- a cacher (including yourself), a cache, a series of caches, a TB, a coin, or whatever. FlagMan and a panel of esteemed experts reserve final editorial license on the design, but this is just to protect impressionable young minds from inappropriate content (this is a family website after all).

So who will be FTF on the new series? Do you dare make it a night hunt tonight? It is a school night, after all...

Have fun!

Basically anything goes -- within reason. As before, you need to grab the Udesignit TB to have the privilege of naming the subject of the next card. Any subject relating to Geocaching is acceptable -- a cacher (including yourself), a cache, a series of caches, a TB, a coin, or whatever. FlagMan and a panel of esteemed experts reserve final editorial license on the design, but this is just to protect impressionable young minds from inappropriate content (this is a family website after all).

So who will be FTF on the new series? Do you dare make it a night hunt tonight? It is a school night, after all...

Have fun!

I was just at that cache today. I must have just missed getting that card. :blink:

Have fun!

I was just at that cache today. I must have just missed getting that card. :blink:

O'm'gosh!