Yrium's Geocacher Trading Cards

yrium

Hey, it's been a nice change in the weather hasn't it?

A bit off thread but......

Hey Harmon, can you gather some of us newbies up and saddle us up around the ol' campfire to tell the story of why there is no SCC cache #14 or #15 ? As you can see in my The World Famous Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches bookmark page there are a couple of gaps. :D

Though, I do know why #16 had to be..... :D

Edited by PassingWind

I personaly have enjoyed finding the cards and realize just how much work goes into their creation. I have not been collecting them but instead have been passing them off. Since Flagman has been doing such a great job perhaps he could colaborate with the finder as to when and at what level the next realese could be. That way it won't always stay in one area close by and would make it a bit easier for either North or South county people to have a chance. As Passing wind says just my 2 cents

I agree that the YMS cards should be reserved for someone (or some group) who has done a remarkable job of contributing to the local geocaching community. I would imagine that to be something like a number of above-average hides, organizing events, or what have you.

The choice can be made by Tom (as "owner" of the UDTB), the finder of the UDTB (which I believe was Tom's idea), a vote by all local geocachers, or the vote of a group of local geocachers who will serve on a committee and are elected by the vote of local geocachers. I am not in favor of either of the latter choices, but I think Tom should get to choose how it's done, as it's his (adopted) baby.

It's amazing how complicated things can get. :D

Hey, it's been a nice change in the weather hasn't it?

How 'bout that local sports team?

Hey how about those Chargers!!!!! :D

How about Da Bolts!

I will bet any amount of money...that they do not lose this weekend.

:D

:D

Actually the good news is that we can go caching this Sunday instead of being couch potatos! :D

Edited by TrailGators
That's a good question.

Who do you think is out there deserving cards who's not got one yet?

I would love to see cards for:

d-jollymon.  (Hey 'mon.  there's got to be some Jamaican ting one could do 'ees

card 'mon.)

p.wood

GoBolt(s)!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

--TT--

couple other deserving ones (but not all)... Flagman should be busy for awhile. :D

Miragee

Toby's Gang

Lucky Kid & Proud Parents

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

Tinfoil-Hat Head & Wall-Eyed Nutbag

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Those all all some good suggestions and there are plenty of others that you didn't mention! But you all can make it happen by finding the card! I've already found it twice so I'm letting some others find it! I don't want to be a card hog! :D

It's been awhile since we had a race for it. I'd still like to see a webcam used!! Or maybe we could all vote for the nuttiest photo of someone that is posted on the Banter site! :D

i have found it twice also...hmmmm perhaps a hat trick...

what about Chuck B. ??????

That's a good question.

card 'mon.)

p.wood

GoBolt(s)!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

--TT--

couple other deserving ones (but not all)... Flagman should be busy for awhile. :D

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Those all all some good suggestions and there are plenty of others that you didn't mention! But you all can make it happen by finding the card! I've already found it twice so I'm letting some others find it! I don't want to be a card hog! :D

It's been awhile since we had a race for it. I'd still like to see a webcam used!! Or maybe we could all vote for the nuttiest photo of someone that is posted on the Banter site! :D

Right on!!!!!!!! :D:DB)B)

-ette

That's a good question.

card 'mon.)

p.wood

GoBolt(s)!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

--TT--

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Right on!!!!!!!! :D:DB)B)

-ette

What about Silver Horde? They been in this game since August 13, 2001!

Hey Harmon, can you gather some of us newbies up and saddle us up around the ol' campfire to tell the story of why there is no SCC cache #14 or #15 ? As you can see in my The World Famous Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches bookmark page there are a couple of gaps.  :D

Though, I do know why #16 had to be..... :D

Why shore buckaroo, glad t' oblige. Thang is that Carpenter and I brain-stormed a series of Sandy Creek Cowboy caches one day long ago while havin' lunch in Pine Valley.

We wrote a numbered list of our ideas on a knapkin amongst th' ketchup and mustard, and kept it to remind ourselves as time went by. Yep, it was a burger worth rememberin' if y' must know.

We kept the order of caches as originally listed. Some caches took far longer than others t' become a reality; for example, we gathered stuff for over a year for SCCC #16. Several of the SCCCs were placed out of order.

A beneficial side effect of the number gaps was that they drove some Geocachers crazy wonderin' where the missing caches were. You might be surprised to hear this but ol' cowboys love t' get noticed. Emails came in about the missing caches.

As you noticed we did skip over fourteen and fifteen due to a need to overcome technical challenges. Worth knowing is that there are more than sixteen caches on that original list.

Once upon a time I leaked a remark about plans for number fifteen. It promises to be a show-stopper that's, shall I say, plumb challenging in the sense of a TT puzzle cache but cowboy style. My sweet bride keeps tryin' to talk me out of number fifteen on the basis of it being too hard for city slickers. That sets me up for a major "I told y' so" y' see.

For years Carpenter and I have worried over a potential support problem with number fifteen. A few weeks back while I was clumpin' along the South Fortuna ridgeline I had an epiphany about the problem.* I was so I happy to think of a simple solution that I forgot t' stop and pee when I needed to. Result was that a couple of ladies came jogging by right when I finally remembered t' pee. Hid it with my hat if y' must know. Now I need a new cowboy hat. It's always somethin' but I digress.

Since that revelation I have actively scouted for just the right place to install this complex and diabolical contraption. I have a potential location in mind. Once a location is definite then a shopping list of parts has to be purchased and one special item fabricated before final assembly and testing can begin.

And that's th' whole truth as I know it.

Harmon

SD Rowdies and Sandy Creek Cowboys

* Yep, it's true, cowboys do have epiphanies but we call 'em somethin' else.

Edited by SD Rowdies
D-jollymon

p.wood

GoBolts!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Chuck B.

Silver Horde

Thought I'd compile the suggestions so far and add a few more...

Bunthorne

Princess Toadstool

Fkrexcal

D-jollymon

p.wood

GoBolts!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Chuck B.

Silver Horde

Bunthorne

Princess Toadstool

Fkrexcal

How about PW? Anyone willing to be caught in compromising positions deserves some recognition.

00a6d3e8-c1cb-421a-8629-c7af720d8d25.jpg

D-jollymon

p.wood

GoBolts!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Chuck B.

Silver Horde

Bunthorne

Princess Toadstool

Fkrexcal

How about PW? Anyone willing to be caught in compromising positions deserves some recognition.

Of course!!! I knew I'd put my foot in my mouth and forget someone obvious! Sorry about that PW!

D-jollymon

p.wood

GoBolts!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Chuck B.

Silver Horde

Bunthorne

Princess Toadstool

Fkrexcal

Of course!!! I knew I'd put my foot in my mouth and forget someone obvious! Sorry about that PW!

The great thing is that there is already a perfect picture for his card! :D

Actually, with his awesome artwork, maybe he should design his own card. The misprinter may want to use the potty shot.

D-jollymon

p.wood

GoBolts!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Chuck B.

Silver Horde

Bunthorne

Princess Toadstool

Fkrexcal

PW

Compiled list again and found more that have been at it for 2-3 years:

iTrax and FoxTail

ahimsa

HelBob Duo

Gary Samad

Couple thoughts:

1. Silver Horde is/was Jane8276 which was YP1 #15

2. Princess Toadstool was/is YMS #20

3. I have no intention of making up any rules or guidelines or even suggestions for that matter of WHO should be the next card. That is the privilege of the person who grabs the card. I am still wondering who will be the first self-nomination. Of course, if a cacher finds the responsibility to be too great, they don't have to grab it at all, or they can simply re-hide the card without making any choice for the next card.

4. I have no selfish motives for suggesting a change. My original post was not motivated by any desire to be relieved of the responsibility of placing the Udesignit TB. I just wanted to get everyone's input on how they felt about the whole thing.

5. I note that of the three cards generated by Yrium as a result of the Udesignit TB, it appears that Yrium grabbed the card back from the cachers and placed it himself on all three occasions. It is not completely clear from the logs on the Udesignit TB page, but it does appear that was the case. However, my recollection of the original cache page is that Yrium gave the cacher the choice of either keeping the TB card as a souvenir (in which case Yrium would print a new card and place it himself) or dropping it into a cache, virtually and physically. I think from the discussion, that option should be reinstituted and that we should simply rely on cachers self-policing themselves to be thoughtful in how and where they place the card if they choose that option. I really don't think "rules" are in order, but I would discourage "hand-offs" or other means of obvious manipulation. Placements should reflect creativity, originality, geographical diversity, and just plain fun. Cachers who make "good" placements will be revered for generations to come and will earn honored quarters in the Kashe Karma Hall of Fame. Cachers who make "bad" placements will most certainly be summarily excommunicated until appropriate pennace is provided.

So, Harmon, either grab it back from me (virtually) and place it yourself, or let me know that you want me to place it and I will try to find a good (temporary) home for it soon.

I agree, the Chargers will not lose this weekend!

Let's go caching!

Edited by FlagMan
D-jollymon

p.wood

GoBolts!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Chuck B.

Bunthorne

Fkrexcal

PW

iTrax and FoxTail

ahimsa

HelBob Duo

Gary Samad

Sorry about that but I had a pre-mature senior moment there with PT but I didn't know about Silver Horde's name change.

Asking for a little help is not selfish. I certainly didn't intend to imply anything like that... Actually Tom you've been the opposite of selfish! :D

Above is the revised (partial and in no particular order) list that I'm sure is still missing many deserving cachers but should be helpful.

Edited by TrailGators
D-jollymon

p.wood

GoBolts!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Chuck B.

Bunthorne

Fkrexcal

PW

iTrax and FoxTail

ahimsa

HelBob Duo

Gary Samad

Sorry about that but I had a pre-mature senior moment there with PT but I didn't know about Silver Horde's name change.

Asking for a little help is not selfish. I certainly didn't intend to imply anything like that... Actually Tom you've been the opposite of selfish! ;)

Above is the revised (partial and in no particular order) list that I'm sure is still missing many deserving cachers but should be helpful.

Please...I should not be on this list...

I have been caching for less than a year and have no significant hides.

And my only contribution is pissing people off :D

Edited by GoBolts!

And my only contribution is pissing people off  :D

It's just an incomplete list....it could take months to get to your name.....by then.....who knows....you could be the next TT driving us all nuts (but in a good way)! :D As far as pissing people off: it's better to be pissed off than pissed on! ;) .....anyhow join the club.... :D

Edit: Add C4 to the list.

Edited by TrailGators
D-jollymon

p.wood

GoBolts!

QDMan

Radical Geezer

fisnjack

Miragee

Toby's Gang

HelBob Duo

Team Reid

dhsundance

blonds run amuck

Let's Look Over Thayer

Snake & Rooster

f0t0m0m

Chuck B.

Bunthorne

Fkrexcal

PW

iTrax and FoxTail

ahimsa

HelBob Duo

Gary Samad

Asking for a little help is not selfish. I certainly didn't intend to imply anything like that... Actually Tom you've been the opposite of selfish! :rolleyes:

And my only contribution is pissing people off :ph34r:

But what if a GoBolts! card added enough psychic energy to take the Chargers to the Super Bowl? WooHoo! :ph34r:

So, Harmon, either grab it back from me (virtually) and place it yourself, or let me know that you want me to place it and I will try to find a good (temporary) home for it soon.

Tom,

Getting to keep the uDesignit card that I captured makes for a nice addition to my card collection. So go ahead and do the placement as you have done so many times before.

Let me just say once again that you are doing a terrific job on the Yrium cards. Furthermore I really and truly appreciate the fact that you have allowed me to design and produce a few of the photographic layouts.

Working with the YMS card team has been a very rewarding experience. I am also pleased to play a small part in preserving Yrium's good work.

Thanks pal,

Harmon

Tom,

Getting to keep the uDesignit card that I captured makes for a nice addition to my card collection. So go ahead and do the placement as you have done so many times before.

Let me just say once again that you are doing a terrific job on the Yrium cards. Furthermore I really and truly appreciate the fact that you have allowed me to design and produce a few of the photographic layouts.

Working with the YMS card team has been a very rewarding experience. I am also pleased to play a small part in preserving Yrium's good work.

Thanks pal,

Harmon

Youda man, Harmon!

Introducing YMS #24 "Flintstones" (aka "Leap Frog and Jelly Belly"):

cd14f603-3f2a-426d-bfd8-dfef21ded405.jpg

Thanks to Gecko Dad for design and content ideas.

Dropped about 15 or so at Max's Favorite Park this evening.  That dang Misprinter was, of course, one step ahead of me.  Why I oughta!!

9:40 pm.

Thought I could hold off until first thing in the morning but no, just had to run down to Max's to pick up the latest YMS creations hot off Flagman's presses. The just-past-full moon with a 22 degree ice halo, Mars nearly overhead, and Orion rising in the east provided a perfect atmosphere for a nighttime Max's sortie. Left a clutch of lizards in exchange for 2@ regular and 2@ misprints of two of Team Gecko's favorite cachers. One of each will greet Green Gecko/Gecko Gurl at her place at the kitchen table in the morning. Thanks for the heavy lifting on these, Tom.

-Gecko Dad

Dropped about 15 or so at Max's Favorite Park this evening.  That dang Misprinter was, of course, one step ahead of me.  Why I oughta!!

Ummm ok.....can you fill us in on a little history of who is "Leap Frog and Jelly Belly" , sorry to say that I've never heard of them !? :P

and I thought I was the new guy. :blink:

JB&LF

I remembered the name from the recent Keep On Trukin' Geo Campout.

Edited by duganrm

cd14f603-3f2a-426d-bfd8-dfef21ded405.jpg

Great job you guys. Can't believe how fast you turned that one out.

For those that don't know, those two are from the Splashes and Fattboy stable.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Can you fill us in on a little history of who is "Leap Frog and Jelly Belly", sorry to say that I've never heard of them !? :anicute:

Ah Ha!! Duh, the GeoCampout villians <_< The new guy is still learning all these acronyms flying around. Congrats JB&LF aka "Flintstones" !

3d418512-a456-44f4-b04a-a51904b2faa5.jpg

PassingWind

Back in early 2002 when the Geckos were still learning the ropes using a basic yellow Etrex (without computer cable so toggling in all of the coordinates from printouts), Jelly Belly and Leap Frog would leave real Jelly Bellies and different colored frog squirters in caches they found. Gecko Gurl and I would report which color frog in our logs so LF started indicating which color they left, allowing us to focus on finding new colors. Back then, a good day was more than one cache found, with three caches a "power caching" accomplishment. The colored frogs gave us the idea to use small lizards as our preferred signature token.

-GD

I stopped by Max's on the way away from work this morning... :anibad:

I picked up one Vulture, one Flintstones misprint and two Flintstones regulars. I'll transplant one of the extra Flintstones regulars soon. Great job on the cards by the way!  :ph34r:

* Now I just need to run across a Duncan! card to complete my collection!

What time? You didn't sign the logbook! :lol:

9AM today & no " Flintstones" misprints....seems some people have been grabbing handfuls for people who don't want to visit MFP. :anicute: Ran into Harmon this AM and he also came up empty handed.

Grabbed 1 #24 and dropped a pile of TB's

Only 3 "Flintstones", 2 Vultures, and 1 Chuy remain but I'm sure they'll all be snagged to be distributed to the couch cachers......... :lol:

I stopped by at 9:45am and grabbed a Flinstones card. still no misprints <_< I guess I should have drove out last night. now I gotta wait and see where the misprinter makes it to next.

I didn't sign the log either. I was running just a tad bit late for work and was in a hurry. I was a little suprised, this is the first time I have seen people in the park (4 other cars I could see in the parking lot).

I picked up one Vulture, one Flintstones misprint and two Flintstones regulars. I'll transplant one of the extra Flintstones regulars soon. Great job on the cards by the way!  :ph34r:

What time? You didn't sign the logbook! :lol:

9AM today & no " Flintstones" misprints....seems some people have been grabbing handfuls for people who don't want to visit MFP. <_< Ran into Harmon this AM and he also came up empty handed.

Only 3 "Flintstones", 2 Vultures, and 1 Chuy remain but I'm sure they'll all be snagged to be distributed to the couch cachers......... :anicute:

Last night there appeared to be equal numbers of both kinds of cards. I did not count but FM's estimate of 15@ seems about right. I took 2 regulars and 2 misprints so there were approximately 13@ after my swaps at 9:40 pm. Perhaps some of this morning's takes haven't been logged yet. Did not realize how many folks pass by Max's on their way to work. :lol:

BTW, FM is out of town as of this morning so there will be some delay in additional production.

-GD

I picked up one Vulture, one Flintstones misprint and two Flintstones regulars. I'll transplant one of the extra Flintstones regulars soon. Great job on the cards by the way!  <_<

What time? You didn't sign the logbook! :ph34r:

9AM today & no " Flintstones" misprints....seems some people have been grabbing handfuls for people who don't want to visit MFP. :anicute: Ran into Harmon this AM and he also came up empty handed.

Only 3 "Flintstones", 2 Vultures, and 1 Chuy remain but I'm sure they'll all be snagged to be distributed to the couch cachers......... :lol:

I got there about 7:30AM. It is out of the way for me but I figured if I didn't stop then I wouldn't get anything....

Anyhow, I was in a hurry so I didn't mess with the logbook. Instead I logged the cards on this website as soon as I got to work. Figured this would be better so people would know what I took before they went there.....

As I recall there were 1-2 misprints left after I took my one.....

Edit: Anyhow, what difference does it make if I log them here or in the book? I figured I'd leave the logbook for those people that are logging the cache!!

Edited by TrailGators
I got there about 7:30AM. It is out of the way for me but I figured if I didn't stop then I wouldn't get anything....

Anyhow, I was in a hurry so I didn't mess with the logbook. Instead I logged the cards on this website as soon as I got to work. Figured this would be better so people would know what I took before they went there.....

As I recall there were 1-2 misprints left after I took my one.....

Edit: Anyhow, what difference does it make if I log them here or in the book? I figured I'd leave the logbook for those people that are logging the cache!!

You visit the cache you log the cache logbook.....for those of us sitting at the cache with empty hands it's nice to read the logs and to see who visited and who took what and when. If your in a hurry and can't spend 30 seconds writing your name and why you visited then don't stop and take anything. :ph34r:

Mellow out! :rolleyes:

You would have been empty handed regardless!

Last night there appeared to be equal numbers of both kinds of cards.  I did not count but FM's estimate of 15@ seems about right.  I took 2 regulars and 2 misprints so there were approximately 13@ after my swaps at 9:40 pm.  Perhaps some of this morning's takes haven't been logged yet.  Did not realize how many folks pass by Max's on their way to work.  :rolleyes:

WOW! 15 YMS #24's at 9:40PM last night and only 4 remain as of 9AM (2 after 9:45AM) this morning......ouch!

I only saw Gecko Dad's, Splashette's, and Harmon's (didn't take any) logs in the logbook. :ph34r:

I assume that the others that log cards on this thread instead in the logbook will get blasted too......so don't be surprised if they refrain... :)

Isn't this fun! :)

Last night there appeared to be equal numbers of both kinds of cards.  I did not count but FM's estimate of 15@ seems about right.  I took 2 regulars and 2 misprints so there were approximately 13@ after my swaps at 9:40 pm.  Perhaps some of this morning's takes haven't been logged yet.  Did not realize how many folks pass by Max's on their way to work.  :rolleyes:

WOW! 15 YMS #24's at 9:40PM last night and only 4 remain as of 9AM (2 after 9:45AM) this morning......ouch!

I only saw Gecko Dad's, Splashette's, and Harmon's (didn't take any) logs in the logbook. :ph34r:

I assume that the others that log cards on this thread instead in the logbook will get blasted too......so don't be surprised if they refrain... :)

Could never have anticipated that Jelly Belly and Leap Frog would become lightning rods to address cache logging etiquette. Amazing!

BTW, I always write in the physical log and the forum log and generally leave something in exchange for the cards. Unfortunately, I no longer have spare original Yrium's Pals cards so the exchanges aren't card-for-card these days.

-GD

Could never have anticipated that Jelly Belly and Leap Frog would become lightning rods to address cache logging etiquette. Amazing!

BTW, I always write in the physical log and the forum log and generally leave something in exchange for the cards. Unfortunately, I no longer have spare original Yrium's Pals cards so the exchanges aren't card-for-card these days.

-GD

The irony is that I considered my method of logging these cards to be considerate and hence polite. Rather than needlessly filling up the logbook with a zilllion non-cache find logs, it made more sense to me to simply log them on the website.

When you put things in perspective, somebody got their undies in a bundle because a bunch of us didn't sign a little piece paper. Seems silly doesn't it! :)

Edited by TrailGators

Raced out during the commute to grab a set of YMS #24 cards for my treasured collection. I once had a three-year stretch of that daily commute and I sure don't miss it now.

Boy was I surprised when I opened the container and found a log entry from the Splashes. They already picked up a set of YMS #24 cards for me. Ain't that sweet?

Well, maybe a set because they didn't find as many misprinits as needed for themselves, JB&LF, $kimmer, and I. Guess who's on the bottom of that totem pole so probably I'll lose out after all. Dang, just my luck.

Hi Splashette, have I mentioned lately that you are my very favorite Geocacher? My goodness, you sure have been losing weight these past two weeks. Those salads are working out for you aren't they darlin'? You look ever-so lovely and I love your new hairdo. Did you get your teeth whitened?

On the bonus side I met Passing Wind on the way out and stayed around to shoot the bull with him while he made his grab. In the end I gained because PW presented a pair of fabulous pins to me, a Bushwhacker pin and the handsome San Diego Geocaching 2005 pin. I love 'em. He's a swell pal and I really admire the graphic-art talent of mother Wind.

At least I didn't come home empty handed to find a telephone message from $kimmer informing me that I need not go for the grab. Life is so complicated some days.

Reading the thread posts for YMS #24 is very interesting. What the entries show is that several of us really treasure the YMS cards and will go to great lengths to have a complete set of them. FlagMan must feel very pleased that his efforts are so appreciated by the devotees.

Life is good,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies