How to update final coordinates of a mystery?

Gill & Tony

9 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

If I use the Update coordinates log, it updates the posted coordinates.  Can I simply update the final location waypoint?  That doesn't sem to notify the reviewer so I may be straying into the range of another cache?

How does this work, please?

I've seen caches disabled by a reviewer when the new coordinates interfere with another cache, possibly only caught during review/publication of other caches? I can't remember specifically. Lately I've been checking with the reviewer to make sure my new final coordinates don't interfere with anything. 

1 hour ago, Gill & Tony said:

If I use the Update coordinates log, it updates the posted coordinates.  Can I simply update the final location waypoint?  That doesn't sem to notify the reviewer so I may be straying into the range of another cache?

I have seen discussion about this matter with a reviewer and HQ recently. My suggestion is that you ask from your local reviewer if a new location for the cache is possible. HQ let reviewers to deside what kind of changes are allowed. If you get green light, you can make the change yourself.

2 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

The impression I've gained is that reviewers are notified of changes to physical elements of mysteries and multis, or maybe only if the change creates a conflict, but I can't say for sure. If you think there's a fair chance the change will get you too close to another cache then yes, it'd be a good idea to ask the reviewer, but if there are no other caches anywhere nearby and it's only a small move then probably just do it. I once moved the final of a mystery by about 10 metres, but the nearest other cache was over 300 metres away so no chance of any conflict and nothing bad happened afterwards.

• Upvote 2

I witnessed a change in coordinates by 30 to 40 meters that moved the cache to within the 0.1 mile of another cache and within 24 hours the reviewer disabled the cache with the new coordinates.   The CO never tried to improve the location and the cache was eventually archived by the reviewer.  

The CO was a newbie and their coordinates were way off. They were responding to comments by finders about how far off the coordinates were.  Most finders found the cache because there was an explicit hint. 

21 minutes ago, Joe_L said:

I witnessed a change in coordinates by 30 to 40 meters that moved the cache to within the 0.1 mile of another cache and within 24 hours the reviewer disabled the cache with the new coordinates.   The CO never tried to improve the location and the cache was eventually archived by the reviewer.  

The CO was a newbie and their coordinates were way off. They were responding to comments by finders about how far off the coordinates were.  Most finders found the cache because there was an explicit hint. 

How did you witness the change in final coords of a puzzle cache? 

28 minutes ago, Joe_L said:

I interpreted the OP as referring to updating the coordinates of a cache that they own, in the Admin Tools. 

That's for the posted coordinates, though. We're talking about updating the final coordinates in a puzzle cache.

"How to update final coordinates of a mystery?"

Sorry.  I missed the subject line.  But if one were to move the coordinates off the books, I don’t see how it would be detected by a reviewer.  (Unless the reviewer happened to find the cache in the new location and notice that it is too close to another cache.)

If the change is made as an edit of the final location on the CO’s cache page, I would think that would show up to a reviewer like any other change. 

3 minutes ago, Joe_L said:

Sorry.  I missed the subject line.  But if one were to move the coordinates off the books, I don’t see how it would be detected by a reviewer.  (Unless the reviewer happened to find the cache in the new location and notice that it is too close to another cache.)

If the change is made as an edit of the final location on the CO’s cache page, I would think that would show up to a reviewer like any other change. 

That's the million dollar question!

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

That's the million dollar question!

It isn’t a question.  If one follows the guidelines for hiding a cache, one does the homework to see if the location interferes with saturation.  Maybe one checks with the reviewer.  Then, one updates the cache page and the new location can be seen by reviewers. 

On the other hand, if the final location puzzle is changed without changing the coordinates in the cache page, I doubt that anyone would be the wiser, but it would be wrong.  If the final is moved by updating the cache page, it could open up an awesome location for another cache. 

• Surprised 1
5 hours ago, Joe_L said:

n the other hand, if the final location puzzle is changed without changing the coordinates in the cache page, I doubt that anyone would be the wiser, but it would be wrong.  If the final is moved by updating the cache page, it could open up an awesome location for another cache. 

Lest there be any misunderstanding, I wasn't suggesting changing the location without updating the coordinates in the cache listing, just that if it's a small change and there are no other caches nearby it could encroach upon then I don't think it'd be necessary to get the okay from a reviewer beforehand.

I read this thread yesterday as I had this issue. Had to move the mystery final about 0.5 mi (but 0.3 from published coords) and kept getting the message that the final coords needs to be within 2 mi of published coords. That is weird. I reached out to the reviewer and he came back to me this morning and said that there was a bug that was preventing me from making the change. So it appears that you do NOT have to contact the reviewer to update the coords for a mystery final as long as the 2 mi rule is respected. 

• Funny 1
5 minutes ago, MetsFanInNJ said:

I read this thread yesterday as I had this issue. Had to move the mystery final about 0.5 mi (but 0.3 from published coords) and kept getting the message that the final coords needs to be within 2 mi of published coords. That is weird. I reached out to the reviewer and he came back to me this morning and said that there was a bug that was preventing me from making the change. So it appears that you do NOT have to contact the reviewer to update the coords for a mystery final as long as the 2 mi rule is respected. 

There was an issue yesterday from ca 2-5 PM, Seattle time. It has since been resolved.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

There was an issue yesterday from ca 2-5 PM, Seattle time. It has since been resolved.

That tracks with when I was having the issue (about 5-6 PM EDT). The reviewer ended up making the update for me so I am still unclear if I need a reviewer if the updated mystery final is more than 0.1 mi from the existing coords.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:38 PM, MetsFanInNJ said:

That tracks with when I was having the issue (about 5-6 PM EDT). The reviewer ended up making the update for me so I am still unclear if I need a reviewer if the updated mystery final is more than 0.1 mi from the existing coords.

I believe that any time a geocache location is moved more than 528 ft, a Reviewer had to be the one do it for you, regardless of geocache type.   Perhaps @Keystone can clarify?

Had once years ago at one of my mysteries the deposited final coordinates changed by a few meters. This went without a problem even without a reviewer. However, a coordinate update log was automatically generated which have betrayed the whole watchlist the final coordinates. There are mysteries where this is not good... No idea if this has been improved by GS in the meantime.

3 hours ago, Johannis10 said:

Had once years ago at one of my mysteries the deposited final coordinates changed by a few meters. This went without a problem even without a reviewer. However, a coordinate update log was automatically generated which have betrayed the whole watchlist the final coordinates. There are mysteries where this is not good... No idea if this has been improved by GS in the meantime.

An Update Coordinates log only applies to the posted coordinates. To update the final of a mystery or multi you edit the waypoints table on the cache page and no logs are generated.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2