Jump to content

Geo-art questions


Followers 1

Recommended Posts

Hello from central Pennsylvania! We have plenty of state game lands here and I’ve been on a placing frenzy. 
I’d like to place caches and make a Geo-art. 
My first question is...can I make my art a Volkswagen emblem? Or does that cross some type of copyright infringement? 
My second question...can I place caches 2 miles each way from the center of the art? 
Thanks! 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

The center of the art is not a concern. Each cache is independent and must comply with the usual placement requirements which is the reason many geoart caches are mystery caches. Distance between posted and physical coordinates and proximity of physical locations follow normal rules. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, 74vwBus said:

Hello from central Pennsylvania! We have plenty of state game lands here and I’ve been on a placing frenzy. 
I’d like to place caches and make a Geo-art. 
My first question is...can I make my art a Volkswagen emblem? Or does that cross some type of copyright infringement? 
My second question...can I place caches 2 miles each way from the center of the art? 
Thanks! 

 

Your reviewer seems to be @Keystone based on your previous posts and I'd talk to him about it.  I'd tell him what your idea for this series is and ask if there are any potential issues he can help you head off.  Talking to my reviewer is always my first step in hiding a cache.

  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment

I didn’t want to pester Keystone with a bunch of questions. I figured I’d have an open discussion and get info. 
I figured the logo would be a no go. It was just the easiest option. 
Trying to word it correctly for the distance question. 
In a normal mystery cache, the physical cache has to be within 2 miles of the ? icon. 
With Geo-art, the 2 mile parameters...is that 2 miles each way from the art? Or is it 2 miles from the center? Or is it 2 miles from one designated mystery cache?

 

Using this photo for sample. 

0B93E641-A597-40A9-9595-C482D759AE2A.jpeg

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, 74vwBus said:

With Geo-art, the 2 mile parameters...is that 2 miles each way from the art? Or is it 2 miles from the center? Or is it 2 miles from one designated mystery cache?

The final cache container must be within 2 miles of your posted coordinates for that particular geocache. The center of the geoart has no relevance, as far as I know.

I am not aware of any special 2-mile references to geoart.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

The final cache container must be within 2 miles of your posted coordinates for that particular geocache. The center of the geoart has no relevance, as far as I know.

I am not aware of any special 2-mile references to geoart.


THANKS! That clears it up! 
 

I’m gonna use one of these as the general idea. Obviously gonna have to dumb down the detail. 
 

 

AE22AC9D-F95F-4275-B28C-C316EE034148.png

3938A0D6-A177-426C-9D79-A42758F36B20.jpeg

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, 74vwBus said:

Ohhhh!! Duh!! Light just came on. Thanks!

 

So to be clear...each cache placement in the series is to be within two miles of it’s designated ? Icon? 
 

 

Yes! So that might take a little planning within the geoart placement.

Link to comment
18 hours ago, 74vwBus said:

I didn’t want to pester Keystone with a bunch of questions. I figured I’d have an open discussion and get info. 

 

Keystone is exactly the correct person to talk to.  You can get all the opinions you want here, but ultimately he is the one who you will need to get approval from.

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

 

Keystone is exactly the correct person to talk to.  You can get all the opinions you want here, but ultimately he is the one who you will need to get approval from.


Never said he wasn’t. Keystone has been reviewing 60 recent placed caches of mine. I’ve bugged him enough lately. I don’t see anything wrong having a open discussion on the matter. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
On 1/10/2022 at 10:11 AM, 74vwBus said:

Never said he wasn’t. Keystone has been reviewing 60 recent placed caches of mine. I’ve bugged him enough lately. I don’t see anything wrong having a open discussion on the matter. 

 

You're right, there's nothing wrong with starting an open discussion on this or any other topic; that is why we have these forums.

Just keep in mind that the answers you get here might not be correct guideline interpretations, but they would be if you asked your reviewer.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, wimseyguy said:

 

You're right, there's nothing wrong with starting an open discussion on this or any other topic; that is why we have these forums.

Just keep in mind that the answers you get here might not be correct guideline interpretations, but they would be if you asked your reviewer.

 

^ this

 

I agree, and I never meant for the OP not to have a discussion in the forums.  Discussions are great and it's fun to speculate on answers.  I personally didn't think having a VW logo in geo-art would be an issue but I'm not the one making the rules.  Maybe that's why I haven't been asked to be a reviewer either.  :-) 

 

My only point was that if you want a correct answer, go to the person who will give you the correct answer.  There was an earlier thread in which it was made known that Keystone was reviewing the OP's caches, so I suggested the OP message Keystone, since the reviewer is the one who will ultimately publish or not publish the caches.  

 

Whenever I have a "great idea" for a new cache, I always lay out the plan and message my reviewer.  I've had some ideas told "no" and I've had other ideas that were decent but with issues that I resolved through dialogue with the reviewer.

  • Surprised 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 1
×
×
  • Create New...