Informing cachers

Jayeffel

How do you respond to cachers, usually new cachers, who when logging a find describe what the cache is or where it is?

I happened to look at recent finds in one series and one cacher with 9 finds told what and where the cache was. A lot of times this cache owner will leave hints almost doing that but not in this series. 

How do you respond without sounding high handed or such? Or do you not say anything unless it is one of your own caches?

13 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

How do you respond to cachers, usually new cachers, who when logging a find describe what the cache is or where it is?

I happened to look at recent finds in one series and one cacher with 9 finds told what and where the cache was. A lot of times this cache owner will leave hints almost doing that but not in this series. 

How do you respond without sounding high handed or such? Or do you not say anything unless it is one of your own caches?

I would let the cache owner deal with it, if he/she chooses to.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

I’ve noticed that some cachers are obsessed with spoiling something from the cache. This is not only a way for beginners but also for much more experienced cachers.

kuva.png.c6763d1a8ee8d66f1d391619890b8ff5.png

You can blame yourself if you feel you have become spoiled. :D

2 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

And the "Warning Spoilers may be included" Can be read as you can include spoilers in your logs and photos. :o

I think that's how some spoilers become posted in logs.  But if TPTB intended it to mean that, it should then be more like "Pro Tip:  Spoilers may be included."  They shouldn't have started with the word "Warning!".   Why warn people that there's a place to type spoilers?  When you put it like that, it looks like a warning to readers that logs have spoilers, and if that's what it means, it cannot also be a permission statement.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, arisoft said:

I’ve noticed that some cachers are obsessed with spoiling something from the cache. This is not only a way for beginners but also for much more experienced cachers.

kuva.png.c6763d1a8ee8d66f1d391619890b8ff5.png

You can blame yourself if you feel you have become spoiled. :D

I'm right there with you. It's something that frosts the heck out of me.

In general, I think the need to spoil comes from an attitude, mostly among newer players but not always, that there's an "us-versus-them" relationship between hiders and seekers. 

"Ha! I solved it! C'mon everybody, here it is!"

It's similar to the people who assume that the COMPANY (whatever that is) is putting these caches out and it's our collective job to foil their efforts. It's also why most damaging players have no problem tearing apart a hide; it's just the company's stuff, like a graffiti-er on a building or a street sign. Arrogant, inconsiderate, self-centered.

These people don't really understand the point of the exercise, IMHO.

I treat seekers of my mysteries as partners in a puzzle, not adversaries. It's like listening to a riddle and blurting out the punchline; do that and you're dead to me.

When one of mine gets 'spoiled' to the extent that it matters (not every 'spoil' is disastrous), I send a message to the cacher asking that they re-write their log, and if they don't, I would have no problem deleting the log.

My last couple of hides have included a note at the bottom about spoiling. From my latest:

NO SPOILER LOGS, PLEASE
If you provide revealing pictures of the hide or describe its placement in too much detail your log may be deleted, and you'll be enthusiastically invited to re-log without the spoiler.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Smitherington said:

I have had that problem and I tried to communicate with the offender who happened to be a newbie.  They don't seem to check their messages so they just ignore the alert about a message or choose not to respond.  Nothing much you can do.

I see that a lot now. When you look at their profile they've never visited the website so they probably just downloaded the app and don't even know the website exists. Attempts to contact them via either Message Centre or email are invariably futile.

13 hours ago, kunarion said:

I think that's how some spoilers become posted in logs. 

We've seen a couple "Helpful" log upvotes that are good for this nonsense too... 

Once folks realize that this "Helpful" newb is usually giving a spoiler, that's where they head first (if all about the numbers...).

• Helpful 1
22 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

If it's not my hide, unless I know the cacher by first name, I mind my own business.  He may be a nuisance, but no one likes a buttinski...

When we had some on ours, we'd email, asking for a fix.  Nicely.   Photos we just deleted.  If they noticed and emailed, we'd tell 'em why...

• Helpful 1