Scout. (Troop) geohunt

portrait04

Our troop needs to plan a geo hunt with at least 4 waypoints. Im not sure what to do though. Can we use an app for gps waypoints and they share their points with the others to find? (Ive tried this with a hunting gps app and it wasn't accurate so it failed). Can we add geocaches to the app, have them find them, then delete them afterwards? Not really sure what to do. 

The simplest way to organize a geo-hunt is to just print the coordinates and other instructions on paper and let players find the answers to your questions themselves.

For example, Google maps app can use coordinates to navigate players to the waypoint. Nothing special is needed at all.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, arisoft said:

For example, Google maps app can use coordinates to navigate players to the waypoint. Nothing special is needed at all.

One warning though, based on my experience trying to use GPS coordinates as part of a puzzle hunt. Many navigation apps used by regular people will try to navigate to the nearest street address, not to the actual coordinates. I was trying to send my puzzle hunters to various locations around a lake, and their navigation apps kept trying to take them to addresses on the roads that circle the lake. Often, that wasn't good enough.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, portrait04 said:

Our troop needs to plan a geo hunt with at least 4 waypoints. Im not sure what to do though. Can we use an app for gps waypoints and they share their points with the others to find? (Ive tried this with a hunting gps app and it wasn't accurate so it failed). Can we add geocaches to the app, have them find them, then delete them afterwards? Not really sure what to do. 

How many are in your troop?  If you have a couple of handheld GPS devices or phones with GPS Apps set up and tested, everyone can share them (or split into groups).  Otherwise, there's a lot of logging in to App stores, waiting for download, installation, and issues with individual phones to work on for a while instead of hunting for waypoints.  You could try whatever App is factory-installed in a phone (such as Google Maps), but as mentioned, some stick to streets and some "can't find" locations that are off-road.

There is an App called "Spyglass" that works with waypoints and can be used for free, available for both IOS and Android.  But test it first.

Another idea is giving directions, measuring distances, using a magnetic compass and map.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, niraD said:

Many navigation apps used by regular people will try to navigate to the nearest street address, not to the actual coordinates. I was trying to send my puzzle hunters to various locations around a lake, and their navigation apps kept trying to take them to addresses on the roads that circle the lake. Often, that wasn't good enough.

It might be a good idea to place the first waypoint at a known location near the starting point to calibrate the device. Before I suggested using Google Maps app, I tested that it is capable to show the last leg from the driveway to the given position. I have no idea what standard app is suitable for iPhone users.

2 minutes ago, arisoft said:

It might be a good idea to place the first waypoint at a known location near the starting point to calibrate the device. Before I suggested using Google Maps app, I tested that it is capable to show the last leg from the driveway to the given position. I have no idea what standard app is suitable for iPhone users.

On my iPhone 8, sometimes Google Maps "can't find" a location by coordinates sent from an App (it gives up with an error).  I've had better luck with Waze (when Waze is available in a Geocaching App).  But both of those are street routing Apps, so be careful about where an App is sending you.

The Official Geocaching App can direct you to any coordinates, but for a troop that hasn't installed it nor signed in with Geocaching.com, there are a couple of layers of complexity to "hunting a waypoint".  But maybe some of the scouts in a troop already have it?  If not, you're not finding a waypoint, you're "working on getting Apps working" for a while.

6 hours ago, portrait04 said:

Can we use an app for gps waypoints and they share their points with the others to find?

Just remembered one very easy app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.what3words.android&hl=fi&gl=US

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/what3words/id657878530

This is available for both mobile platforms and made exactly for this use. Extremely easy to use and absolutely no problems with coordinate formats at all. Sharing coordinates to players could not be easier.

• Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Have you tried entering coordinates directly into search box. Standard desimal notation is the best.

Yes, that can work.  But my iPhone Geocaching App lately has only a cache or two on screen (if any), so I switch to Cachly which I guess doesn't send the coordinates in a way that Google Maps accepts. 

Anyway, my point is, unless it's a couple of devices set up and tested, the OP will enjoy an afternoon of installing and troubleshooting a troopful of Apps.  If there's time afterward, maybe even "hunt for a waypoint".

Edited by kunarion
37 minutes ago, arisoft said:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.what3words.android&hl=fi&gl=US

This is available for both mobile platforms and made exactly for this use. Extremely easy to use and absolutely no problems with coordinate formats at all. Sharing coordinates to players could not be easier.

But the Op was asking about "Apps On Phones". With no specifics, I can only guess, but I guess most of the scouts would attempt to log into an App Store with Android and iPhone and try to install and run something.  At that point, the fun really begins, because not all phones have a compass sensor.  My iPad doesn't even have GPS - it uses wifi or whatever is on the airwaves, iThings never say what Location Service(s) they're using at any given moment, if any, and can proudly display their location at 2 miles off or more.  Anyway, yes, there are GPS Apps for finding waypoints. :D

Edited by kunarion
5 hours ago, portrait04 said:

Our troop needs to plan a geo hunt with at least 4 waypoints.

If they are doing this for Requirement #9 of the Geocaching Merit Badge (I am a counselor and have helped scouts with this requirement) it states:

• Plan a geohunt for a youth group such as your troop or a neighboring pack, at school, or your place of worship. Choose a theme, set up a course with at least four waypoints, teach the players how to use a GPS unit, and play the game. Tell your counselor about your experience, and share the materials you used and developed for this event.

The idea (intent) I believe is to teach the scouts earning the badge how to use a GPS unit (handheld), and they use that to set up a course in a park, or a parking lot, or some other area.  Then, they teach other scouts or youth to use the GPS to find the coordinates they have set up.  EDGE - Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable - I do that as a Counselor, and then the Scouts do that in Req. #9 for other Scouts or youth.

Adding caches to geocaching.com and then archiving (deleting) them would not be the way to do this, IMO.  The requirement where publishing a geocache is one of the options takes care of this, if they want to do that.  Caches are meant to be available for more than just a one-time event.

Have fun with this, create a theme, a mystery trail, allow the scouts to use their imaginations!

• Helpful 4
31 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Adding caches to geocaching.com and then archiving (deleting) them would not be the way to do this, IMO.  The requirement where publishing a geocache is one of the options takes care of this, if they want to do that.  Caches are meant to be available for more than just a one-time event.

Adding: if you plan to publish the cache keep in mind that basic members will not be able to see a multi cache or puzzle cache on the official app. And I think the help center says it needs to be in place for at least 3 months. 

• Helpful 1
On 1/7/2022 at 2:41 PM, arisoft said:

The problem with using What Three Words in a case like this is that while it may be useful as an easy way to GET SOMEWHERE, it isn't necessarily useful if you're in a scouting situation and the point of the lesson is coordinate mapping.

W3W is a nifty gimmick, but it doesn't teach anything. Pointless as a Scouting tool.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 1/7/2022 at 3:28 PM, CAVinoGal said:

If they are doing this for Requirement #9 of the Geocaching Merit Badge (I am a counselor and have helped scouts with this requirement) it states:

• Plan a geohunt for a youth group such as your troop or a neighboring pack, at school, or your place of worship. Choose a theme, set up a course with at least four waypoints, teach the players how to use a GPS unit, and play the game. Tell your counselor about your experience, and share the materials you used and developed for this event.

The idea (intent) I believe is to teach the scouts earning the badge how to use a GPS unit (handheld), and they use that to set up a course in a park, or a parking lot, or some other area.  Then, they teach other scouts or youth to use the GPS to find the coordinates they have set up.  EDGE - Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable - I do that as a Counselor, and then the Scouts do that in Req. #9 for other Scouts or youth.

Have fun with this, create a theme, a mystery trail, allow the scouts to use their imaginations!

Yes, if this is for the Geocaching badge, it’s more than just having the troop find a temporary waypoint or two.  It’s the whole shebang.  The scouts who will work on the badge must learn the basics of Geocaching and apply them.  OK, there’s a curious option of TBs, but that’s different. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
20 hours ago, kunarion said:

The scouts who will work on the badge must learn the basics of Geocaching and apply them.  OK, there’s a curious option of TBs, but that’s different. :anicute:

The trackable option is one of three for only one of the requirements.  Release a TB, host an event (CITO), or hide a geocache.

Taken as a whole, if a scout has actually fulfilled all the requirements, the scout should know how to use a handheld GPS to navigate to given coordinates, as well as determine current coordinates at their location.  And then to teach other youth how to navigate to given coordinates using a GPS device (may be a phone, may be a handheld).  The specific "geo-hunt" mentioned in the OP is the final requirement for earning the badge, and is intended for the scout to be able to pass on the basic navigational skills learned, using GPS coordinates, to others.  It's the final "E", enabling, ensuring they have learned the lessons as they teach others the skill(s) they have learned.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

The trackable option is one of three for only one of the requirements.  Release a TB, host an event (CITO), or hide a geocache.

Taken as a whole, if a scout has actually fulfilled all the requirements, the scout should know how to use a handheld GPS to navigate to given coordinates, as well as determine current coordinates at their location.  And then to teach other youth how to navigate to given coordinates using a GPS device (may be a phone, may be a handheld).  The specific "geo-hunt" mentioned in the OP is the final requirement for earning the badge, and is intended for the scout to be able to pass on the basic navigational skills learned, using GPS coordinates, to others.  It's the final "E", enabling, ensuring they have learned the lessons as they teach others the skill(s) they have learned.

Sounds good.  I saw previous threads on “TBs” that made it seem more like an option to get the badge, not just one requirement.

Is the “geo-hunt” a thing you do within Geocaching.com?  Or is it 

more of a non-branded hunt using a GPS device?
Either way, shouldn’t that be something the scout researches on his own? Half the fun is setting the waypoints, setting up the GPS devices, figuring out how it all works, with the pride of doing it yourself.  Or is that what the OP intends?

36 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Is the “geo-hunt” a thing you do within Geocaching.com?  Or is it 

more of a non-branded hunt using a GPS device?
Either way, shouldn’t that be something the scout researches on his own? Half the fun is setting the waypoints, setting up the GPS devices, figuring out how it all works, with the pride of doing it yourself.  Or is that what the OP intends?

The "geo hunt" part of the merit badge requirements isn't necessarily done via geocaching.com.  In fact, the ones I have done with scouts have not involved geocaching.com.  The scouts come up with a theme, choose locations around a park or local trails, determine coordinates with a a GPS, then create a story or adventure for OTHER scouts or youth to do.  Yes, the SCOUTS do the work, with guidance from the counselor.  Then they teach a group how to use the GPS to DO the adventure they have created.

So if the geo hunt referred to in the OP is Req. #9 for the badge, then to reiterate my answer to the OP's questions (My answers in BOLD):

On 1/7/2022 at 5:03 AM, portrait04 said:

Our troop needs to plan a geo hunt with at least 4 waypoints. Im not sure what to do though. Can we use an app for gps waypoints and they share their points with the others to find? (YES, this is the intended procedure, using an app, or an actual GPS unit, preferably) I've tried this with a hunting gps app and it wasn't accurate so it failed). Can we add geocaches to the app, have them find them, then delete them afterwards? (NO, this is not a good plan) Not really sure what to do. 

Hope this discussion has been helpful to @portrait04 ....

19 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

The "geo hunt" part of the merit badge requirements isn't necessarily done via geocaching.com.  In fact, the ones I have done with scouts have not involved geocaching.com.  The scouts come up with a theme, choose locations around a park or local trails, determine coordinates with a a GPS, then create a story or adventure for OTHER scouts or youth to do.  Yes, the SCOUTS do the work, with guidance from the counselor.  Then they teach a group how to use the GPS to DO the adventure they have created.

Cool!  :)