Geo Terrorists?

ftroop

I'm visiting out here in Ridgecrest, Ca. (the Good Lord and the Boeing Co. don't seem to want me to live here) and I was wondering if you are experiencing something that is occuring back east with enfuriating frequency. They call themselves "Geo Terrorists". A hoodlum or group of hoodlums (they get around so I doubt if its only one person) that visits geocaches and destroys them. They leave "calling cards" so its not an accident. They also seem to be centered in the New Jersey area but they are branching out. Has anyone out here heard or experienced this?

F Troop

I haven't heard about any sort of Geo-Terrorism as organized as what you describe. It seems that someone who would go to that much trouble to find the caches would appreciate what they are and play the game right.

We had a period here about 9-12 months ago where many of the local caches disappeared. It seemed like it might be some sort of geo-terrorism, but most were probably stumbled on by non-players. Some were pillaged & scattered, while others just vanished.

A big cause of frustration here is cachers not reporting their finds in a timely manner - especially bugs. The travelers are being dropped off, and immediately picked up, but not logged for a few weeks. Sometimes they are logged when they are dropped off in another cache, but the show in the original cache until that time. Some players go to a particular cache looking to pick up a bug and it's frustrating when it's not there. Sometimes it seems they just vanish altogether without even getting to travel. We have some time-sensitive caches in the area too that really get screwed up when they aren't logged.

I realize this isn't the Geo-terrorism you describe, but it can be frustrating too. The people/cachers either don't understand how the bugs and caches are to work, or they just don't care, and want to do things their own way.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

quote:

A big cause of frustration here is cachers not reporting their finds in a timely manner - especially bugs. Sometimes it seems they just vanish altogether without even getting to travel.

Boy do I agree. I've got one bug missing now for about 7 months. My other has gone a month after being picked up with no log.

I also hate it when ppl won't log Not Found. They're too embarrased to say but the owner needs to know if something is wrong so he/she can take care of the problem so others don't waste thier time. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm visiting out here in Ridgecrest, Ca. (the Good Lord and the Boeing Co. don't seem to want me to live here) and I was wondering if you are experiencing something that is occuring back east with enfuriating frequency. They call themselves "Geo Terrorists". A hoodlum or group of hoodlums (they get around so I doubt if its only one person) that visits geocaches and destroys them. They leave "calling cards" so its not an accident. They also seem to be centered in the New Jersey area but they are branching out. Has anyone out here heard or experienced this?

F Troop

Just Thank the Good Lord and Boeing that you don't live there!

Edited by jahoadi and john

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

A big cause of frustration here is cachers not reporting their finds in a timely manner - especially bugs. Sometimes it seems they just vanish altogether without even getting to travel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy do I agree. I've got one bug missing now for about 7 months. My other has gone a month after being picked up with no log.

I also hate it when ppl won't log Not Found. They're too embarrased to say but the owner needs to know if something is wrong so he/she can take care of the problem so others don't waste thier time. icon_rolleyes.gif<!--graemlin::D-->

I will fess up to being one of those who will not necessarily post a DNF. Whether or not I post one depends on a number of things. If I show up not too long after a find, and despite my searching I come up empty, I will more often than not not post the DNF because I will assume that I was merely being blind. I will go back, check the logs, and give it another shot. Or two. Nothing is more annoying than posting a DNF the same day that someone posts a find. (It's happened to me more than I would care to admit.)

Also, another reason is because if I find a cache that has a DNF posted, I will usually not bother, especially if the posted DNF is by a cacher with 4 digits worth of finds. I will assume that if that person couldn't find it, I'm certainly not finding it.

However, if it's been months since the last find. I will post a DNF.

On the flip side, some COs are really bad about responding to DNFs. There are caches out there with more than 4 or more DNFs in a row, spanning more than 6 months, and the CO has never posted a response. When I come across those, I post a recommendation that the cache be archived. This probably makes me unpopular, but I believe it's important to ensure that the posted caches are viable.

For all the above, "your mileage may vary."

Jubeloh

Edited by Jubeloh
They call themselves "Geo Terrorists". A hoodlum or group of hoodlums (they get around so I doubt if its only one person) that visits geocaches and destroys them. They leave "calling cards" so its not an accident. They also seem to be centered in the New Jersey area but they are branching out. Has anyone out here heard or experienced this?

I have not personally experienced it (apart from a particular cache that went missing within a couple of weeks every time I replaced it...) but other instances of this sort of thing have come and gone.

Unfortunately, avenues for defense against such things are limited. Fortunately, most of the time, eventually, they tend to get tired of the "sport" and move on to other forms of anti-social behavior.

On the flip side, some COs are really bad about responding to DNFs. There are caches out there with more than 4 or more DNFs in a row, spanning more than 6 months, and the CO has never posted a response. When I come across those, I post a recommendation that the cache be archived. This probably makes me unpopular, but I believe it's important to ensure that the posted caches are viable.

I tend to go by the philosophy that when someone places a cache, they promise to maintain it. So if it is clear that a cache "needs fixing" and is not being maintained (either by a cache owner or by some Good Samaritan that has taken on that responsibility), I have no problem making the suggestion to archive it. Ultimately, it is a reviewer that will make the call -- usually, they will disable the cache for a few weeks and if there is still no response, then they will archive it. It's a process that is more than fair and but if someone gets bent out of shape when it happens, I'm not going to lose sleep over it...

I will fess up to being one of those who will not necessarily post a DNF. Whether or not I post one depends on a number of things. If I show up not too long after a find, and despite my searching I come up empty, I will more often than not not post the DNF because I will assume that I was merely being blind. I will go back, check the logs, and give it another shot. Or two. Nothing is more annoying than posting a DNF the same day that someone posts a find. (It's happened to me more than I would care to admit.)

Also, another reason is because if I find a cache that has a DNF posted, I will usually not bother, especially if the posted DNF is by a cacher with 4 digits worth of finds. I will assume that if that person couldn't find it, I'm certainly not finding it.

However, if it's been months since the last find. I will post a DNF.

For all the above, "your mileage may vary."

Jubeloh

You do realize that by NOT logging dnfs, you slow down the eventualy archiving of these unmaintained caches? If you looked and didn't find it, it's a dnf. So many people now are unwilling, for whatever reason, to log a dnf and these dead caches just drag on forever. Please don't be bashful. There is no dishonor in saying you couldn't find it and it might just spur the owner to check the cache, or a reviewer to archive it. (just my two cents. that and $2 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks)

I always log DNFs. First, it is part of my experience. I didn't find it. Also, I tend to be a pretty good cacher, so if I don't find it, it might be a tough hide. If someone with less experience finds it and I log a DNF, they ought to feel good about their accomplishment. My DNF helps them with that.

I am not sure why some people feel shame for not finding a cache. It happens. Your DNF log is benefitial to everyone. Your not logging a DNF helps no one.

It might get crazy if people started Geo-Terrorizing my caches.

Edited by elrojo14