The Orange County Thread

The Geo Chasers

Yeah, I agree..... great idea, Geo Chasers! It's about time that we OC Geocachers come out of the woodwork and initiate more discussion.

Anything and everything, as long as we stay right off track, standing back-to-back while facing each other.

Such as...

Done any good caches lately?

Gotten any Poison Oak?

How about ticks?

What the heck does "Drogher" mean?

What does baking like to bake?

Can the Fiddler really play the fiddle?

How far have the drifters drifted?

Are GeoBoltz, GeoJeff, and GeoCraig brothers?

Does LarsThorwald ever put his cup-a-java down (or was it surgically attached to his mouth)?

How the heck is everybody doing?

.....and a Happy New Year to one and all (whether or not you live in OC)!

Sorry about that....got carried away there for a minute. Now I'm running late for dinner. See you all next year!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

27485_300.gif

and thought that getting out to do some local caches would be a good way to get to know the area. My Tecnu was still packed away when I first started itching, so I went to the drugstore and got some. Too late! Within days, I was at an Urgent Care in Foothill Ranch with the worst case of poison oak I've ever been blessed with. My left arm was a mess - they wrapped it in antibiotic gauze, gave me a tetanus shot, a steroid shot, and I had them throw in a flu shot while they were at it icon_wink.gif. I was put on an oral antibiotic and Benadryl as well. I had to change surgical pads every few hours – it was that bad. Next day, my arm and hand swelled up, back to urgent care, and was put on oral steroids as well. Cross contamination got me on my legs as well, and my right foot had a spot about 2” round – I had to throw out a brand new pair of sneakers and the shirt I was wearing because of contamination.

I still itch…(scratch, scratch…)

Happy New Year! icon_biggrin.gif

SteveL

Pizza party??

Wherever you go, there you are.

I hope this thread works out longer than the previous attempts. Husqui, to answer one of your questions...GeoBoltz is only related to GeoJackson (I'm his dad). As for the other answers...well, I'll wait until the "Official" OC gathering.

Are any of you planning on attending the San Diego event on Saturday, Feb. 1. I was planning on going since the OC thing never panned out, but am willing to give it another shot if we can get it closer to home.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:

and thought that getting out to do some local caches would be a good way to get to know the area. My Tecnu was still packed away when I first started itching, so I went to the drugstore and got some. Too late! Within days, I was at an Urgent Care in Foothill Ranch with the worst case of poison oak I've ever been blessed with. My left arm was a mess - they wrapped it in antibiotic gauze, gave me a tetanus shot, a steroid shot, and I had them throw in a flu shot while they were at it icon_wink.gif. I was put on an oral antibiotic and Benadryl as well. I had to change surgical pads every few hours – it was that bad. Next day, my arm and hand swelled up, back to urgent care, and was put on oral steroids as well. Cross contamination got me on my legs as well, and my right foot had a spot about 2” round – I had to throw out a brand new pair of sneakers and the shirt I was wearing because of contamination.

SteveL

So? What do you think of the area? icon_wink.gif

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

We came down and tried some of your Orange County caches and found that you all hide caches like we do up here in the Central Valley. We had a lot of fun and even ran into a fellow cacher out on the trail, or should I say the course.

Thanks for the all the fun.

Mary

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

We came down and tried some of your Orange County caches and found that you all hide caches like we do up here in the Central Valley.

Glad to hear that California's #1 cachers had fun hunting down caches in OC. Just wondering what you mean by "...hide caches like we do...."? Is there a distinct method of hiding that seems different from others?

We cache mainly in the northern California area and have found that certain areas hide caches certain ways. A few examples I can give you are the following:

Livermore - puzzle caches, difficult puzzle caches

San Jose area - a lot of micro caches

San Francisco - multi caches and puzzle caches

Central Valley - difficult micro caches and

traditional caches that require

a little hiking/searching

Sacramento - easy traditional caches

Granted there are exceptions to these, but generally people tend to hide similar caches as they have found.

We really are lucky up here, and have found that you are pretty lucky down there too, with an active caching community. You should try to get together it is a lot of fun getting to know each other and swapping stories.

Thanks again for the caches.

Mary

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Thanks for the insight, G&M. Yes, I guess we are lucky here both with the quantity, variety, and type of caches that we have. I also seek out caches every now and then in the LA/San Bernardino area (hope to do whatever's out in Big Bear when I go on snowshoeing treks this winter) and a handful in Santa Barbara and they are similar to what you describe of the Central Valley/OC area.

I'll make sure to try out caches in your area when I have a chance. And it's a good thing I don't live in Livermore! (with no offense at all to the Livermore residents --- I just suck and am too impatient when doing puzzles)

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:

SteveL

So? What do you think of the area? icon_wink.gif

Charlie

I like the hike I did yesterday at the Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park, just a few miles from me, it reminded me a lot of San Diego. OC is a bit different culturally though, San Diego exists on it own, with a real city and vibrant downtown, OC has no downtown – it’s too much a suburb of LA for my liking. It could be worse – I could be in Detroit icon_eek.gif !!!

SteveL

Wherever you go, there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

Hey Husqui: I joined the OC Thread. Does that mean we get to have pizza together?

As long as we don't have to go and pick out curtains together icon_wink.gif..... But pizza WITH beer is a must!

Since you profess to be the Entertainment Chairman, are you interested in helping organize a pizzafest? In the OC Geocachers yahoo group, I suggested maybe having one somewhere in the Irvine area (Tustin, Mission Viejo, etc.) for a change. If so, maybe we can initiate some discussion and planning in that group and then present it here in this forum.

To carivercpl: it doesn't matter where you're from (Moon Base Alpha for all I care --- specially if you hide a cache up there). As long as you know where OC is, I say please join in.

SteveL: I concur re: your OC observations. We don't really have a center, no one 'identity' to call our own, if you will. (Maybe that's why it's so hard to get a geocaching event together, eh?) Kind of, perhaps, a to-each-his-own attitude. But then again, it's the laid-back, independent, and diverse culture that I like about it (most of the time). I spent most of the afternoon today driving a friend around LA. She wants to move out there and we were looking at different areas to move to. Yup, it's got more excitement, it's more vibrant, and it's got more 'culture'. But for now, I'm happy with Orange County.

Stuft Pizza in Dana Point is decent. They have pizza and beer... although I never really payed attention to their beer selection, because the few times I stopped there, was to grab a quick lunch before heading out to do some caching. Its in the shoping center at the intersection of GoldenLatern and PCH (the PCH going south... I forgot what it was called). The closest cache to it is 'The Box'. This might be more south that some people are willing to go, but it is an option. I'm sure there is some good place in San Celemente as well... or even Laguna. I'm more familiar with the Mexican restaurants rather than the pizza places.

SteveL: Be careful... there are OC'ers that would get upset at being called a suburb of LA. I don't get upset, I would just like people to understand that OC is its own animal. I agree with Husqi and his description of OC as a 'to-each-his-own' place, but I disagree that its laid-back. Just like LA, most people in OC are always trying to get/go somewhere... there are just more/wider roads. I'm just a punk kid with long hair and loud music (well none of those really), so nothing I say really goes. icon_razz.gif

Husqi: Did you take your friend to Santa Monica? The few months I've been up here in West LA, I've really come to like SM. I haven't really ventured in the other direction though... that lack of good bike routes (being worked on slowly by the LACBC) and terrible traffic has kept me away from it. I do get a really good rush out of biking in traffic, but I haven't had enough time to actually pick a destination East of me and just go.

Martin.

Well thank you...as far as Moon Base Alpha...mmmm i know a few place that look like that...Thanks for the idea...Now if there is going to be a get together all i ask is that we plan it for another month..there are two plan...http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48312

and....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=47511

i know they are a bit of a drive from OC but Mrs. Carivercpl said we are going... icon_rolleyes.gifhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=47511cheers.gif

Well, Lars and I with a lot of help from a whole bunch of other people kind of threw the last OC picnic together (read-named the time and place and then left the rest of it up to other people!) Seems like we've got quite a few new faces around here so it may be time for another one. Hopefully it won't be quite as cold as last year!!!!

"I thought you said this was a quick find!" - My wife

A place to bring the muts is OK by me. Last year's picnic was held at Irvine Regional Park. Nice location, but a little crowded on the weekends, plus you have to pay to get in. Anyone know of some "free" park somewhere.

As far as the date goes... do we want to shoot for the 22nd?

Let's go for the 22nd! And dog-friendly is a must. Irvine was a good place, other than the pay-to-get-in aspect. The amount of space was great, though, as some cachers set-up a sort of mini-hide in various areas around the park.

I'll take care of the posting of this in a week or two. Rich I think would agree that the system worked well last year: we let the cache page itself serve as a forum for people to discuss anything in particular they wanted to do at the event (there were lots of suggestions about organized games, etc., which I steered clear of)... as well as to indicate what they were going to bring in the way of food/drinks/paper plates etc. The whole thing came off pretty darn well, I think.

So...

Charlie

Carivercpl:

Here is a map of the entrance to Trabuco Creek Road. There are actually several different routes to get there. Holy Jim Canyon (ignore the star, that is not on the correct location)

It is located off Trabuco Canyon Road just past the entrance to O'Neill Park. You will turn left at Trabuco Creek Road and travel about 5 miles down a dirt road, this is the canyon. To get to the falls continue to the parking area where you can hike or bike from there to the trailhead.

Have fun!

Anyone have any thoughts on Carbon Canyon Regional Park? Doga are allowed, but must be on a leash. There is a fee to enter the park (4 bucks, I think, on the weekends). Lots of caches there, if you haven't found them all already and we could certainly get a few more out there before the picnic. I'd love to have it somewhere you could get in some geocaching that didn't charge and was fairly centraly located, though.

Anyone know of any parks/picnic areas in the Brea/Fullerton area to Whittier/Pico Rivera area. There is the Whittier Narrows area, but I'm not sure what the crowds are like on the weekends. Just trying to find someplace that everyone in the Southern California area can get to easily.

quote:
...unless anyone has a problem with sunday...

I have a problem with Sundays. My wife and I both teach Sunday School but want to make it to a gathering. I have been trying to get in on this for a while. I was excited to see the SD meeting finally shape up, but OC is way better. Please have the meeting on Saturday. Thanks

GeoBoltz

I think Saturday has the consensus. With respect to location, easily-accesible to LA is a must. At the last picnic, at Irvine Park, we had folks from as far north/west as Santa Monica and as far south as San Diego. I'd like to aim for that again!

Besides... I live in South Pasadena!

Charlie

OK. I'm leaning towards Central Park in Huntington Beach. Here's a link. As far as the date goes, Saturday March 22 is fine by me. Even though I lived in HB for 6 years, I never went to Central Park, so if anyone can fill me in on picnic facilities, that would be great.

According to park rules, dogs must be on a leash at all times, but there is a free play dog park in Central Park for them to run. There is also a frisbee golf course there (anybody get that one on the locationless yet?) It also seems to be a fairly cache rich area.

Feedback?

Central Park in HB was where we had the OC Geocachers' Picnic in early December of 2001. The ideal place to have it would be the same place we had it, which is a picnic area with tables, benches, and barbecue grills. Per the link sent by fullon, here's how one can go about reserving the site:

"The picnic shelter in Huntington Beach Central Park is located near Central Park Drive and Edwards Streets. You'll find ample parking near the facility and on Central Park Drive. The public outdoor facility which seats 200 people, provides barbecue grills, electricity and sinks. It must be reserved 2 weeks prior to event.

Cost is $200 per day plus a $200 clean up deposit. When I called (714) 536-5281 and spoke with Corrinne, she told me there were several weekend days available. If no one books the facility two weeks prior, she told me that it is available free of charge to the first group which claims it."

Not sure how the previous organizers reserved it but I don't think they paid $200. Maybe they took the chance and reserved it right at the 2 week mark....

FYI, Central Park is huge. I think it spans 3 major streets. (And I believe there are 3 caches within park grounds and one just a short walk from the dog park.) There are other open areas that can be used for a picnic but it won't necessarily have tables/chairs and definitely no built-in grills.

BTW, the Park Bench Cafe is a charming little restaurant off one of the entrances to Central Park. I've passed by it so many times and always tell myself that I will have brunch there one of these days...

I know, it's not much but the FLakers, I mean the Lakers just beat the Hornets tonight thereby extending their winning streak to 5 games. That's a big deal considering their dismal performance since the start of this year's league.

Hey, with a little luck, we might even make it to the playoffs! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by husqui:

BTW, the http://www.stockteam.com/parkbnch.html is a charming little restaurant off one of the entrances to Central Park. I've passed by it so many times and always tell myself that I will have brunch there one of these days...

That's one of the things that got me psyched!

Anybody have any bright ideas on how to get over this $200 thing? It sounds kind of risky to wait until two weeks prior...

Charlie

Carbon Canyon was OK, but I really don't like the idea of making people pay to come.

Even though it's only 4 bucks the idea of having to pay to park just rubs me the wrong way.

As was mentioned before, Central Park has several things going for it... The cafe there is very good. I had a couple of breakfasts in there. Also, with the caches nearby, the frisbee golf course and the dog park, it's got a bit of everything that people were looking for.

As far as the $200.00 reservation, I'd much rather take our chances the day of than shell out that kind of cash for the facility. Anyone want to volunteer to scope it out down there?

I agree about having to put out any money for this event. 200.00 is way to crazy even if 50 people show up. 4.00 for parking is crazy if 50 people show up that's 200.00 too. I didn't notice the part about 4.00 parking before, thanks Fullon. I vote for free park, free parking, good times, as many nearby caches as possible, etc. there's got to be somewhere that meets these criteria. Anyone know anything about Teewinkle (sp?) park in Costa Mesa. I know it is next to a "Bark Park", but as for size, picnic area, etc, I am not sure. If anyone has been here let us know what it's like. Otherwise, I can make the trip up and check it out.

GeoBoltz

...is much smaller than Central Park but it does have a picnic area with tables and grills. There is a playground and a small man-made lake with lots of ducks. A baseball field is close by and on the other side of the street are tennis courts and Bark Park.

It is right next to the OC Fairgrounds with easy access via the 55/Newport Blvd. Free parking but the cost to reserve the picnic area is $25.

No caches there (or within walking distance) although HollyJ did hide a cache there one time but it was compromised shortly after it was hidden.

....but I do have work to do, I just don't want to deal with it at the moment.

So, I called Central Park in HB. First of all, the picnic area reservation is now under Community Services. The number to call is 714-536-5486. Talked to a lady there and she told me that right now, there is no reservation policy for Central Park facilities. In short, first come, first served. However, the council will be meeting on January 21st to look into accepting reservations (details still unknown). She suggests calling back after that to find out whether or not the picnic area (including other sites such as the amphitheater, etc.) can be reserved ahead of time.

Ok..Tewinkle doesn't sound too good. I really don't know much about parks in the area so I will leave it to the more experienced Cachers, but I would rather, as I am sure everyone else would, not pay any money and have some way of securing it so we don't end up standing around w/out a fire or seats. Perhaps a place would take a refundable deposit? Just a thought.

Thanks to everyone that's working on this. I am truly excited to meet you all in person and not just read your logs. I really want to meet those dogs I've seen so many pictures of in caches.

GeoBoltz