2022 Geocaching HQ Souvenir Moments

Max and 99

Another year in the books, and it’s time for us to share our plans for 2022. Geocaching souvenirs are not just digital images you collected on your profile to remember the good times you had caching, but also something to look forward to.

Here are the confirmed souvenir moments for 2022:

Cache In Trash Out®, Season 1: March 1 through May 31

Deuces Wild: 2/2/22

Blue Switch Day: April 30 through May 2

International Geocaching Day: August 20

Cache In Trash Out®, Season 2: September 1 through November 30

International EarthCache Day: October 8 and 9

Goodbye 2022: December 25 through 31

2022 will most likely be the year with the most new souvenirs of all time, but it’s not what you think. This year, we will release up to 10(!) new country and regional souvenirs every month – that’s up to 120 souvenirs in 2022. We have simplified the art process for the new souvenirs and won’t highlight each of them specifically. This will allow us to release souvenirs for almost all relevant countries and regions in the next two years.

We are never done encouraging geocachers to improve the geocaching gameboard. Therefore, we have decided to extend the option to log the Locationless Cache, Let’s improve the outdoors (GC8NEAT), for another year. Geocachers can now log the rare cache type once they fulfill the requirements listed on the cache page until December 31, 2022.

Please note, as the COVID-19 situation is continuing to evolve around the world, we encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching. Your health and safety are the top priority.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2022/01/2022-geocaching-hq-souvenir-moments/

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
11 minutes ago, Etherlord Clan said:

The date for Deuces Wild has been updated/corrected in the Blog post from 2/2/22 (a Wednesday) to 2/22/22 (a Twosday)

...I can already see the "US vs rest-of-the-world" date format arguments :P

Thanks for posting that. I never occurred to me it was a mistake. 😁

28 minutes ago, niraD said:

YYYY-MM-DD is unambiguous everywhere, plus filenames that include YYYY-MM-DD format dates will sort chronologically.

Exactly my argument. But I'll add context matters. If speaking natural language, the least granular yet relevant segment should come first, 'drilling down' to the most relevant. Generally that'll be month, day. If I'm talking about something happening in the same month, it'll be day only. If it's a historical event, it may even just be month/year.

But for note taking, file naming, easy organization when multiple years are relevant, it'll be yyyy-mm-dd.  Also, "5th of February" is more to say than "February 5th" :)  And it's much more natural language, for me at least, to list a date in short text as m/d if year is redundant. 

Interestingly, I could go 50/50 on whether I'd say "8:45" or "quarter to nine" :P And I always say "8:30", never "half to nine" (though I think in the UK some say "half nine" or something similar?)

12 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

half nine

That is the translation the one half of Germany is calling that time of day

12 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Here it'd be called half past eight.

that's the system the other half of Germany is calling that time of day,

and to confuse you some more, a "quater nine" in those parts of Germany would  be a "quater past eight" in the other half...

• Love 2
On 1/4/2022 at 6:06 PM, HHL said:

A reminder to avoid senior moments:

bd99S.png

People outside the US make fun of the way we do things here, like using the English system over the Metric system.  But that gives us an advantage in our math skills, I mean, how easy is it to multiply and divide everything by 10?  No challenge there! 

We are skilled in multiplication by 12 (inches per feet), 3 (feet per yards), 5280 (feet per mile), 16 (ounces per pound), and so on.  

:P

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
37 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

People outside the US make fun of the way we do things here, like using the English system over the Metric system.  But that gives us an advantage in our math skills, I mean, how easy is it to multiply and divide everything by 10?  No challenge there! 

We are skilled in multiplication by 12 (inches per feet), 3 (feet per yards), 5280 (feet per mile), 16 (ounces per pound), and so on.  

:P

Wait, 12 Inches???

Well, that certainly explains my new countertops.

• Funny 5
On 1/5/2022 at 4:40 PM, GerandKat said:

That is the translation the one half of Germany is calling that time of day

that's the system the other half of Germany is calling that time of day,

and to confuse you some more, a "quater nine" in those parts of Germany would  be a "quater past eight" in the other half...

and in some of the UK half 9 would be 9:30. Go figure.

• Love 1

New Souvenir for 2/22/22 – Deuces Wild!

Feelin’ lucky? A unique date like 2/22/22 doesn’t happen very often, let alone on a Twos-day!

With a date as rare as this, we’re feeling the luck and decided to double the fun with a new souvenir! Celebrate Deuces Wild by logging any two geocaches or Event Caches on Tuesday, February 22, 2022 to earn the souvenir.

Whether you decide to go out and find some caches with a friend, aim for twice as many finds as usual, or even just take double the snacks, we hope you make this rare day something to remember!

Some might say it’s ‘two’ wild, but we say follow your in-two-ition, double down on your geocaching, and maybe, if you play the cards just right, you can be a winner ‘two’!

Go wild!

• Upvote 2
On 1/18/2022 at 7:00 PM, Max and 99 said:

New Souvenir for 2/22/22 – Deuces Wild!

Feelin’ lucky? A unique date like 2/22/22 doesn’t happen very often, let alone on a Twos-day!

With a date as rare as this, we’re feeling the luck and decided to double the fun with a new souvenir! Celebrate Deuces Wild by logging any two geocaches or Event Caches on Tuesday, February 22, 2022 to earn the souvenir.

Whether you decide to go out and find some caches with a friend, aim for twice as many finds as usual, or even just take double the snacks, we hope you make this rare day something to remember!

Some might say it’s ‘two’ wild, but we say follow your in-two-ition, double down on your geocaching, and maybe, if you play the cards just right, you can be a winner ‘two’!

Go wild!

Hmm.. not sure this is a good idea for a souvenir name as it refers to gambling and might not be that family friendly. And I don't see how a two wildcard has anything to do with this *hides behind sofa*

• Funny 1

Hong Kong, finally. Thank you.  239c1217-3211-45e0-aca6-858b0aa4c49f.png

It was* a fantastic caching destination, for which I'd willingly fold myself into an economy seat for 12+ hours to hike the hills, find the caches, and eat the food.  Many great times.

* Was, but now they've become completely hostile to visitors...  Covid ZERO to appease China.  3 weeks detention just for showing up!

Edited by Viajero Perdido
On 1/4/2022 at 12:29 PM, Max and 99 said:

2022 will most likely be the year with the most new souvenirs of all time, but it’s not what you think. This year, we will release up to 10(!) new country and regional souvenirs every month – that’s up to 120 souvenirs in 2022.

I was just looking through my sorted country souvenirs (42) on project-GC and comparing to countries cached (46) to see what was still missing.

- US Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands, not really surprised there since they're not really countries, but maybe they'll come out eventually.

- Ukraine, perhaps 2022 is their year, though things are not looking great in the country itself.

- And Ireland - because I forgot, Ireland just has the four provincial souvenirs (Leinster, Munster, Ulster, and Connacht), plus Dublin.

I wonder if Ireland will get a country souvenir this year, or whether the Irish compromise will be maintained.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:30 PM, Gill & Tony said:

I've just received a Bermuda souvenir.  Does anyone know whether any other ones were released today?

I just noticed that a batch of 10 souvenirs has been released. Do you happen to know if you got the Bermuda souvenir on Wednesday or Thursday? I'm sure people don't look at their souvenir list daily, so it might be hard to pin down the release date. HQ did say that they'll be released on Wednesdays.

40 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

I just noticed that a batch of 10 souvenirs has been released. Do you happen to know if you got the Bermuda souvenir on Wednesday or Thursday? I'm sure people don't look at their souvenir list daily, so it might be hard to pin down the release date. HQ did say that they'll be released on Wednesdays.

Actually, I did check my souvenir list daily for the previous few days.  I wrote the post at 07:30 Thursdat Sydney time, having checked a few minutes earlier.  The souvenir arrived overnight Wednesday/Thursday, my time.

On 1/20/2022 at 3:49 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

Hong Kong, finally.

It was* a fantastic caching destination

My father, who traveled quite literally everywher,  once isaid that the World's Best Sunday Brunch was served at the Hong Kong Hilton. With the Bangkok Hilton coming in a close second. 

And now back to your regularly scheduled souvie conversation.

• Helpful 1

They would have to have been very impressive.  Elbow Beach in Bermuda served the most amazing Sunday brunches back in the early 1980's.

I well remember rolling down to their beach afterwards and watching beach volleyball.

Mind you, my wife worked for a an employment agency which recruited overseas secretaries for temporary work - I may be biased since I was usually surrounded by a bevy of bikini-clad beauties (plus a wife and two small kids)

• Funny 1
On 1/21/2022 at 10:01 PM, The A-Team said:

I just saw those. If the price for getting this increased amount of souvenirs is that they are now just a flag, then I think the old way of releasing just one per month was much better.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
On 1/25/2022 at 12:10 AM, pinkunicorn said:

I just saw those. If the price for getting this increased amount of souvenirs is that they are now just a flag, then I think the old way of releasing just one per month was much better.

I'm a bit torn on this. While I was a bit surprised that the new souvenirs are now very basic, I think it's still better than having to wait 13 years for the rest of the souvenirs to be released.

Hopefully the plan is for HQ to gradually upgrade these graphics over time. It would be a shame if the digital souvenir for finding a cache in one of these rare areas just remained a cookie-cutter one. Members should be proud to show off the souvenir they got for finding the only cache on Pitcairn Island, for example.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

The 2022 Hider souvenir can be earned when a geocache or Event is published but is not awarded for creating an Adventure Lab Cache. Each geocacher can only earn the souvenir once in 2022.

Whether this is your first cache hide (read Hiding your first geocache) or 100th (read Could you be a better hider?), keep these tips in mind to become a proud cache owner and recipient of the 2022 Hider souvenir:

Make it special. There are only so many great locations available. Make sure you place a special cache that matches the environment. That could mean literal: you camouflage it well, or topical like a rocket-shaped cache outside a planetarium.

Take your time. No reason to rush. You have until December 17, 2022, to submit your Favorite point magnet for review.

Follow us on social media. We will continue to publish content to inspire and teach about cache hiding. If you don’t have a great idea for your next hide yet, inspiration might just be around the corner.

Plan for maintenance. A soggy logbook is the thing of geocacher’s nightmares. Don’t turn the great moment you have envisioned for your fellow seekers into a miserable situation and make sure you maintain your cache after publication.

We can’t wait to see what you come up with for your next hide. Share your ideas with #2022Hider on Instagram and Facebook!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The 2022 Hider souvenir can be earned when a geocache or Event is published but is not awarded for creating an Adventure Lab Cache. Each geocacher can only earn the souvenir once in 2022.

Whether this is your first cache hide (read Hiding your first geocache) or 100th (read Could you be a better hider?), keep these tips in mind to become a proud cache owner and recipient of the 2022 Hider souvenir:

Make it special. There are only so many great locations available. Make sure you place a special cache that matches the environment. That could mean literal: you camouflage it well, or topical like a rocket-shaped cache outside a planetarium.

Take your time. No reason to rush. You have until December 17, 2022, to submit your Favorite point magnet for review.

Follow us on social media. We will continue to publish content to inspire and teach about cache hiding. If you don’t have a great idea for your next hide yet, inspiration might just be around the corner.

Plan for maintenance. A soggy logbook is the thing of geocacher’s nightmares. Don’t turn the great moment you have envisioned for your fellow seekers into a miserable situation and make sure you maintain your cache after publication.

We can’t wait to see what you come up with for your next hide. Share your ideas with #2022Hider on Instagram and Facebook!

Hope the Virtual Cache will count!

6 minutes ago, lee737 said:

This is a bit of a departure from usual - a direct reward for hiding.... I would have thought a 'secret' souvenir at years end for those who had hidden one through the year would have been what they would have done....

I was thinking the same thing. They did that a few years back with the 3 million active geocaches: Thank you! souvenir which was awarded to anyone who'd placed a cache up to that date.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

As far as I can see, the last time there was a Pi Day souvenir was in 2015 when, in the muddled-up American date format, it was 3/14/15.

4 hours ago, me N u said:

Sorry to disappoint, but outside of the USA and possibly a few other countries it is 14/03/22 today - nothing special about that as far as I'm aware.

I'm not a big fan of American date formats, as they cause all manner of confusion when the day and month are both twelve or less, but lee737 likes to put out something special for pi day and this year was no exception. It was published late morning and, having nothing better to do, I drove 100km each way to claim FTF on it. Not much other interest though as it's now the morning of the 15th and I'm still the only finder.

• Upvote 1

Blue Switch Day Souvenir:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2022/04/new-souvenir-blue-switch-day-2022/

We rely on the GPS (Global Positioning System) more than we think, it has transformed the way we live and the world around us. Our lives would be very different if we didn’t have the GPS technology we know and use daily; even geocaching falls into this category. This is all possible because of one bright day on May 2, 2000—or as geocachers call it—Blue Switch Day.

Selective Availability made the use of GPS technology unavailable to the general public. In the United States, the military was the only entity with access to this technology until May of 2000; the U.S. government “flipped the switch” and made GPS available to all. Geocachers proudly call this day Blue Switch Day, and this year we’re celebrating with a new souvenir!

With the excitement of the new accurate GPS technology in the palm of our hands, there were endless opportunities for innovation and exploration waiting around the globe. It’s no coincidence that the first geocache was hidden one day later, on May 3, 2000, the day geocaching was born!

Starting on April 30 through May 2, you can earn the Blue Switch Day 2022 souvenir by finding a geocache, Adventure Lab® Location, or by attending an Event.

Edited by Max and 99

While I appreciate that GCHQ is trying to make these souvenirs available to more geocachers, I used to like the "challenge" of the souvenir only being offered on one day. 

One year I failed to earn the International Geocaching Day souvenir because I DNF'd all the caches I tried to find that day!  I wrote to GCHQ and said "I was geocaching, I just couldn't find any" and they said "sorry, you need to find one on that day."  But that's fine, my world went on even though I wasn't given a trophy for trying hard and not succeeding.  

• Upvote 1