Thoughts On Using Travel Bug ID for Multi Cache Navigation...

Chipper3

What are your thoughts on this idea? Does it fit guidelines?  The general idea is that TB Reference code is used to convey the information needed for the next stage.  

• The quest begins with a typical cache description and a set of waypoints to the first stage. 
  • The first Stage uses a marker which is actually a Travel Bug Tag or a more permanent engraved tag using the TB Code. Directions (Prolly bearing and distance and a hint) to the next Stage are listed in the Goal and About  for that TB and found on the Geocache site.  The information references no coords so the cacher must be at that Stage for the directions to be of value.  The cacher would use the app to look up the bug code to get the info.
  • The next N+1 stages use a similar scheme.
  • The final stage is a more traditional cache container  with the log and swag, etc.

The 'problem' I could see is that the TB's are listed for owners, so instead of having to find it, you could just look it up on the owner's profile page.

What I've seen done is a two TB's, each with half the next stage co-ords, that float about the region.  The problem is they sometimes leave the area they are suppose to stay in.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
20 minutes ago, Chipper3 said:

What are your thoughts on this idea? Does it fit guidelines?  The general idea is that TB Reference code is used to convey the information needed for the next stage.  

• The quest begins with a typical cache description and a set of waypoints to the first stage. 
  • The first Stage uses a marker which is actually a Travel Bug Tag or a more permanent engraved tag using the TB Code. Directions (Prolly bearing and distance and a hint) to the next Stage are listed in the Goal and About  for that TB and found on the Geocache site.  The information references no coords so the cacher must be at that Stage for the directions to be of value.  The cacher would use the app to look up the bug code to get the info.
  • The next N+1 stages use a similar scheme.
  • The final stage is a more traditional cache container  with the log and swag, etc.

That may be OK.  You could have a code or number at a stage, and some simple math in combination with what's on the TB page.

A cache that requires Internet access tends to be a slow process for me, with trips to a Hotspot to continue.  I don't necessarily have a data connection everywhere, even in places in a town (cheapest phone subscription I could find).

• Helpful 1
23 minutes ago, The Jester said:

The 'problem' I could see is that the TB's are listed for owners, so instead of having to find it, you could just look it up on the owner's profile page.

What I've seen done is a two TB's, each with half the next stage co-ords, that float about the region.  The problem is they sometimes leave the area they are suppose to stay in.

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, the Bug could be looked up but the goal and description information will make no sense unless the cacher is standing at the current stage.  The description gives a bearing and a distance but  no coords to figure out from where.  Or maybe I am mis-thinking this.  =)

As I think about this, I prolly do not need to go to the trouble of having all those Bugs and associated pages in order to communicate a bearing and distance from the current stage.  I was going to post a plaque with the Bug Code but I could just as easily have the plaque show bearing and distance.  That way if there is no internet access, the cacher would not be stopped and frustrated.  

I plan to also incorporate my night-cache technique of using "Bright Eye" reflectors to mark the location of the next stage.  A beam is played along the bearing while walking the approximate distance on that heading .  The Eyes light up to locate the next plaque.  

No real need to use the Bug Codes unless I include other clues and puzzles in the Goal/Description that would be kinda' the permanent depository that would not be subject to weather and muggles.

Please keep the thoughts and suggestions coming! =)

• Funny 1

Similar to The Jester, all TB involved caches we did, had the trackables go bye-bye within a month or two.

We've used phones to cache low D/T hides years before there was an official app, but I prefer a GPSr.

If a phone's required, I'd appreciate it mentioned right off the bat in description so I can skip that one...

• Helpful 3

I have seen similar schemes on several caches: At one point, you get (via whatever means) a TB code, and that TB's page includes information, which is needed to proceed with the cache. Usually the CO explicitly mentions in the cache listing, that you need a smartphone with data connection.

7 hours ago, arisoft said:

Not as a multi-cache. It is a mystery cache, because "The cache cannot be found without research that goes beyond reading the cache page."

I have always thought of multi-caches as having clear directions (coords) to the first stage. Then the "directions in the field" that are found in the field  lead to the series of caches and then a final one.  Directions in the field can include a bearing and distance to the next stage.  From the Help pages on types of caches - "The cache can be found by reading the cache page and following the instructions in the field.")

So, I agree that the use of externally found info (for example a TB Page) moves the cache type into mystery type.  If I provide the series of bearings and distances or coords at each stage then still a Multi.  If a simple puzzle must be solved with info found on the site or in the field then it is still a Multi.

It becomes a Mystery if posted coords are bogus and/or  the cacher must use externally found information to find the next or original stage.  It is OK to solve a puzzle or solve a mystery to progress if all the info is either on the cache page or found in the context of the stages that comprise the Multi.  

Edited by Chipper3
  • Upvote 1

I have a multi where stage one is a travel bug.  It was actually the virtual "Mary Hyde" code that I engraved on a metal tag, so it's easily replaced.  I won't spoil the whole thing, but it's been successful and has been out there for a few years now.  Found just a few weeks ago, actually.

We have done a multi-cache that was exactly like the description in the original post.

It was GC406DK (since archived due to owner moving and it was on their property).   

The first 4 stages were all trackable tags physically mounted to objects around the property and the fifth was the container.

You had to load up the trackable page and look at the capital letters in the trackable description to get the next object to look for.   

Each trackable had one digit for the lock at the final in it's description. 

The trackables involved were tb5kd8m, tb5kd9k, tb5kd8g, tb5kd8b if you want to look.   

It was an enjoyable cache for us to do.   

11 hours ago, schmittfamily said:

We have done a multi-cache that was exactly like the description in the original post.

It was GC406DK (since archived due to owner moving and it was on their property).   

The first 4 stages were all trackable tags physically mounted to objects around the property and the fifth was the container.

You had to load up the trackable page and look at the capital letters in the trackable description to get the next object to look for.   

Each trackable had one digit for the lock at the final in it's description. 

The trackables involved were tb5kd8m, tb5kd9k, tb5kd8g, tb5kd8b if you want to look.   

It was an enjoyable cache for us to do.   

That is exactly what I had in mind.  Thank you for sharing!