WAAS in Lake Tahoe

I'll be up that way in a couple of weeks and plan to find out. I've been looking at some of your local caches up there.

The main thing you need for WAAS anywhere, is a good open sky, either to the South/East or South/West from California. There are two WAAS satellites, identified as 35 and 47 on Etrex models. If you have a signal from one of them, you will get updates. If you don't have a signal from either of them, try moving around until you do. It will take several minutes for the WAAS signal to get around to all the satellites you are seeing. As each is updated, a "D" will show up on or above the signal strength bar for it on the satellite page.

If you watch the satellite page and move to where you can get either satellite 35 or 47, you should see the "D"s start showing up within 3 to 5 minutes, and all satellites have them within about 40 minutes, based on my experience.

Down here in the flatlands of Riverside county and surrounding area, I rarely have trouble getting WAAS updates, and often see both WAAS birds.

I have an Etrex Venture, and all the Etrex, except the basic yellow and camo models, should perform the same. They all have the same type of antenna and receiver circuitry.

Good luck!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Well, I was in the South Lake Tahoe area last week and did not manage to get any WAAS satellite reception. Down here in Southern California I usually have very little problem getting WAAS info.

I don't know if it is the mountains, the altitude, or the latitude, but it was a big difference.

(I did still manage to find 4 out of 4 caches I had time to look for... icon_biggrin.gif )

Dave_W6DPS

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

Well, I was in the South Lake Tahoe area last week and did not manage to get any WAAS satellite reception. Down here in Southern California I usually have very little problem getting WAAS info.

I don't know if it is the mountains, the altitude, or the latitude, but it was a big difference.

(I did still manage to find 4 out of 4 caches I had time to look for... icon_biggrin.gif )

Dave_W6DPS

_My two cents worth, refunds available on request._ (US funds only)

Did you visit #623 by chance?? icon_biggrin.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V

quote:
Originally posted by TahoeJoe:

I also live in South Shore and I have a Magellan Map 330. I normally only get WASS when I’m up on a mountain top or ridge with an unobstructed view of the west or east.

Lake Tahoe Geocacher

Cool! Where abouts on the South Shore? I'm out in christmas valley.

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V

quote:
Originally posted by volks_ev71:

Did you visit #623 by chance?? icon_biggrin.gif

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps5/

I din't get to that one. I notice you live in Christmas Valley. Shame i didn't know that before the trip--my nephew got married at a rented house on Memory Lane, just off South Upper truckee Road.

We're thinking of renting the same house next year for a family reunion.

Dave_W6DPS