Auto visit for trackables

vinyrd

IIRC, the "auto log" feature was removed because it became a pain in the can for a lot of TOs who even stated on their trackable's page that they prefer that "took it to" Visit logs weren't done.

It had an on/off feature, but many folks left it on...

Some people would "visit" every cache found on every trackable in their inventory.

59 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Do you ALWAYS carry it with you to every cache you find?

If not, don't pursue this. You'd be saying "I have a TB that I left at home that didn't visit this cache, and I'm logging a 'visit'."

I have a TB that I kept in my wallet and would log it at every cache I found, or at a minimum at a cache in a cluster of caches in an area.  I used it to track where I went for geocaching; looking on the TB's map was fun.  And get a general idea of mileage, though you can get a better number from project-gc.

One day I realized the TB was missing from my wallet.  I have no idea what happened to it; it was tucked in pretty tight.  But now it's gone.

I still log it as I was doing before.  Essentially the TB is "me", albeit it's not a tattoo or anything, but it represents where I've gone geocaching.  

36 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I have a TB that I kept in my wallet and would log it at every cache I found, or at a minimum at a cache in a cluster of caches in an area.  I used it to track where I went for geocaching; looking on the TB's map was fun.  And get a general idea of mileage, though you can get a better number from project-gc.

One day I realized the TB was missing from my wallet.  I have no idea what happened to it; it was tucked in pretty tight.  But now it's gone.

I still log it as I was doing before.  Essentially the TB is "me", albeit it's not a tattoo or anything, but it represents where I've gone geocaching.  

And I think that's legitimate; as a tracker for 'yourself', but I know there are people who auto-log their WHOLE INVENTORY of TBs to every cache they visit.

THAT, is not a practice to which I would subscribe.

BTW @GeoElmo6000, I watched the 2021 GIFF this weekend, and spotted your name - so THAT'S what you look like!

I said to her, sitting next to me on the couch, "Hey, I know that guy!"

"You know that guy?"

"Well, I don't KNOW that guy, but yes, I know that guy."

"How can you know that guy if you don't KNOW that guy?"

"I KNOW that guy in that we both post messages in the same place."

"Have you ever talked to that guy?"

"No, I've never talked to that guy."

"Have you ever directly conversed with that guy through posts?"

"I don't know, I may never have conversed directly with that guy."

"So you don't know that guy."

"No, I guess I don't really know that guy."

"So why did you say you knew that guy?"

"I don't remember. Back it up; we missed stuff."

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

BTW @GeoElmo6000, I watched the 2021 GIFF this weekend, and spotted your name - so THAT'S what you look like!

I said to her, sitting next to me on the couch, "Hey, I know that guy!"

"You know that guy?"

"Well, I don't KNOW that guy, but yes, I know that guy."

"How can you know that guy if you don't KNOW that guy?"

"I KNOW that guy in that we both post messages in the same place."

"Have you ever talked to that guy?"

"No, I've never talked to that guy."

"Have you ever directly conversed with that guy through posts?"

"I don't know, I may never have conversed directly with that guy."

"So you don't know that guy."

"No, I guess I don't really know that guy."

"So why did you say you knew that guy?"

"I don't remember. Back it up; we missed stuff."

This is so great!  I'm cracking up.  If you watched the GIFF you mainly saw my friend Crunchy Bill who starred in the film, while I was behind the camera (I'm the script writer, cameraman, boom operator, editor, etc... but I'm not a good actor).  I make a brief cameo as the person who, let's say "sends him on his journey".  I do have a geocaching YT channel and I'm on that more, but for GIFF I like to be behind the camera and only make a small cameo in each.

Edit to add: 

Funny thing about geocaching is generally we know people by face but not by real name.  The conversation is like 

"That's TeamRabbitRun!  I know that person."

"What's their real name?"

"Umm, I don't know that."

"What do they do for a living?"

"I'm not sure".

"Well what do you know about them?"

"They have x finds and last week was FTF on y cache.  Their current streak is z days!"

"But you don't know their name?"

"Yes, it's TeamRabbitRun."

Edited by GeoElmo6000
  • Funny 2
7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

IIRC, the "auto log" feature was removed because it became a pain in the can for a lot of TOs who even stated on their trackable's page that they prefer that "took it to" Visit logs weren't done.

It had an on/off feature, but many folks left it on...

Some people would "visit" every cache found on every trackable in their inventory.

Didn't know it was removed. Glad to hear it. This stupid feature was one of the reasons for my decline in playing in the game. I used to love moving travel bugs and following their progress on the maps.  People logging every bug into every cache they went to (even if they didn't actually find the cache) made following a particular bug virtually impossible. I used to sarcastically write "I have a new logging method for TB's! I log it once when I find it and then again when I drop it off!" After awhile though. I just gave up.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

From an geocaching app perspective I agree with the OP that the connection of trackabes to the app is seriously lacking. With a little effort they could be significantly improved. Such as using the camera to auto discover trackables. I also agree that an auto visit would be preferable to what is there now on the app, for me I open the logs from the computer after the fact and add the visiting to the trackballs I have. This is a pain and definitely does not enhance my usage experience.

• Funny 1
17 minutes ago, MNTA said:

From an geocaching app perspective I agree with the OP that the connection of trackabes to the app is seriously lacking. With a little effort they could be significantly improved. Such as using the camera to auto discover trackables. I also agree that an auto visit would be preferable to what is there now on the app, for me I open the logs from the computer after the fact and add the visiting to the trackballs I have. This is a pain and definitely does not enhance my usage experience.

TBScan https://tbscan.com/index_en.php

eta

Geocaching API Partner

Log in with your geocaching.com account. TBScan is an official API partner of Groundspeak.

Edited by Bear and Ragged
Edit to Add
  • Helpful 1