The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Too all who have lost a geo-pet please read below

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Every time I read this it brings tears to my eyes :blink:

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Author unknown...

Every time I read this it brings tears to my eyes :(

Author unknown...

Yeah, me too. I lost my baby 1 1/2 years ago & still miss him horribly.

Author unknown...

We lost one of our Basenji's in March. We still miss her dearly. Her death affected our Male basenji something horrible. We're also volunteer in the breed resuce group and we found another Basenji in need of a home.

I don't know if this is the right place or not. But if any of you loose a beloved pet please think of Friends Forever Services in San Marcos. They were immessurable when we dealt with our loss.

Friendsforevercremation.com

I just found a magnetic nano today affixed to the fence of a military base. There's another one a little closer to me I'll likely check out tomorrow...I believe it's on the MCAS Miramar fence.

Could we not do this, please? A lampskirt lifter on Wal-mart's "private property" is one thing, but the bases are patrolled by armed folks who take their jobs seriously.

Will a cacher be shot full of holes? Heck no. But it doesn't help the hobby when there are people skulking around base perimeters closely examining the fences. I think it gives cachers a bad name.

I ask cache placers in the SD community to think twice before going right up to the fence...there's often a sign or guardrail close enough to place the cache that's not actually on the fence. If you can sign the log from inside the base, it's too close.

Cheers,

-BadSquirrel

Which cache? I'll be sure to avoid it if I haven't already found it not realizing this. I agree about giving caching a bad rep. Unfortunately, some feel that if it's on business/personal property where there are lots of muggles, this makes it difficult & more challenging. I see property being damaged & the potential of cachers getting hurt. It'll only cause the business owner to hate caching & give us all bad reps as I am sure permission was never asked or granted.

NEWS FLASH - Repeat offender caught in Colorado mountains.

72fc42d9-1847-4e0d-9e1b-08d21f30b73d.jpg

The perpetrator gave himself away by eating Mexican food at a public gathering

rather than Rocky Mountain Oysters, and by wearing a sombrero rather than a

beaver-skin cap to draw attention away from his flagrantly unbunched socks.

It is the policy of the San Diego County Unbunched Sock Police to protect the name

of all rat-fink informers. In this case it can only be said that the user-name in

question is akin to the sound that water makes when rapidly disturbed.

Sgt. Seymore Argyle of the San Diego County Unbunched Sock Police stated that

"Unbunched-sock recidivism is a growing concern of right-thinking Geocachers of

the Southwest Region. There's just no allowing for bad sartorial taste."

Edited by SD Rowdies
Offense was reported by a Geocacher who's user-name shall remain anonymous except to say that said name is akin to the sound that water often makes when disturbed.

I'm trying to think if there is a geocacher named Plop.... :)

P.S. I thought that cacher from Colorado was already on sock probation... :P

Definitely on probation but the perp' fled the State quite some time ago..

Edited by SD Rowdies
Offense was reported by a Geocacher who's user-name shall remain anonymous except to say that said name is akin to the sound that water often makes when disturbed.

I hear they are going to send him to Alabama where they embrace the unbunched sock look.

I hear they are going to send him to Alabama where they embrace the unbunched sock look.

Then don't that mean that this RM feller is going to where he truly belongs? :):)

I'm trying to think if there is a geocacher named Plop.... :lol:

P.S. I thought that cacher from Colorado was already on sock probation... :blink:

Then don't that mean that this RM feller is going to where he truly belongs? :D:D

Those are some UHHHGGGGG-LEEEEE legs! :D

<vomit-emoticon>

I'm trying to think if there is a geocacher named Plop.... :lol:

P.S. I thought that cacher from Colorado was already on sock probation... :blink:

Then don't that mean that this RM feller is going to where he truly belongs? :D:lol:

<vomit-emoticon>

ROFLMAO!!!!! :D!!!!

I'm trying to think if there is a geocacher named Plop.... :P

Then don't that mean that this RM feller is going to where he truly belongs? :D:lol:

<vomit-emoticon>

ROFLMAO!!!!! :lol: !!!!

:D

For some of you out there that may care YODA is done and will be at HalfTracks event. :)

I CARE!!

YODA? as in, "There is no try, only DO."

What about Chewwie and the Princess? I always liked them!

I'm feeling as tho I'm out of the loop here, tho :blink: Is there going to be a special guest at halftrack guys event? :)

For some of you out there that may care YODA is done and will be at HalfTracks event. :mad:

I CARE!!

I'm feeling as tho I'm out of the loop here, tho :blink: Is there going to be a special guest at halftrack guys event? :)

Websters: To-YODA. aka Toyota

See, made in Japan, Made better in Santee.

See also, tow-er of stuck Jeeps.

See also, $20,000 in parts bolted onto a $2000 truck. :)

:):) We can all rest a little easier now that we know Harmon is OK :mad:;)

Harmon-izers by Thom McAnn?

I thought these were marketed to fathers of teenage daughters and jealous spouses... :blink:

What, no cowboy boots? How y' gonna find me when I'm riding Happy?

A gentleman removes his boots before 'riding happy' :blink:

(bunched socks too, and a bath...would it kill you to take a bath?)

Edited by Triple Crown

I thought these were marketed to fathers of teenage daughters and jealous spouses... :blink:

O geez, th' 1970's all over again.

Edited by SD Rowdies

At Sandy Creek Ranch ...

5eed7692-f495-409c-a7b1-848eb432b536.jpg

Carpenter from Hell and Princess Toadstool years ago.

Happy and me ...

af83bc79-19ea-48ab-8e35-b2d8c3f19c4a.jpg

Lost in th' Chamise, long ago.

A really long time ago ...

dcd051ab-ff46-478a-8bb1-d4d72e38626b.jpg

When my momma taught me two valuable lessons -

A. How to keep from being lost: "Be home at dark."

B. How to behave at the supper table: "Eat it and shut up."

Edited by SD Rowdies

For some of you out there that may care YODA is done and will be at HalfTracks event. :mad:

I CARE!!

Websters: To-YODA. aka Toyota

See, made in Japan, Made better in Santee.

See also, tow-er of stuck Jeeps.

See also, $20,000 in parts bolted onto a $2000 truck. :)

"See also, tow-er of stuck Jeeps."

33706baa-af26-4430-b9a4-98ee621c786a.jpg

Um, er ....

Hello All!

New cacher looking for some tips on the game, any suggestions on how to get to 10K finds real quick would be apreciated!!!! OMG wow gratz to all those that have been busy, busy, busy.

Some tips of my own should you contemplate a 2 year hiatus:

1. After that last hike before your break, DO empty the water out of the camalbak bladder!

2. Check to see if there are any TBs or Coins in said Camelbak before your vacation {sorry :D }

3. Remove all batteries from any electronics in said Camelbak; anyone recommend a good geocamera?

Hmmm speaking of said Camalbak, seems to be 2 pockets full of hockeypuck sized containers in there, any idea what I am supposed to do with those? Also seems I have a big pile of Ammo Cans sitting in the garage, need to get them out of there somehow B)

But seriously, good to be back and look forward to meeting you all on the trails again! Thank-you to all those that sent the Emails, both during my vacation in another world {Dunemaul, look me up if you ever visit} and now that I am back.

Hello All!

But seriously, good to be back and look forward to meeting you all on the trails again! Thank-you to all those that sent the Emails, both during my vacation in another world {Dunemaul, look me up if you ever visit} and now that I am back.

Glad to see you back, Ian!! But I'm wondering, did you win the other game you were playing?!? :P

... anyone recommend a good geocamera?
GeoCamera = Cannon PowerShot A1100IS, last of a dying breed that still features an optical viewfinder and is pocket-size for hiking. Also handles large memory cards.

I totally agree... This little camera just generally rocks the house for us Point & Shoot types.

1,000 Google Reviews for your consideration.

Edited by Jupiter_Jack

Hello All!

Glad to see you back, Ian!! But I'm wondering, did you win the other game you were playing?!? :P

No winning or loosing there :) ! Funny sort of game really; spend hours of your time researching how to efficiently obtain and where some meaningless items are, spend many more hours to go out and try to get those meaningless items, sometimes over and over in the same general location, only to find that The Powers That Be have put another meaningless item in that same location after you have been there numerous times and thought you had gotten all the meaningless items you wanted, so you can go back and search for that new one again over and over.

Then to top it off The Powers That Be then emplace a whole new set of meaningless items in the game, just so you start the process all over again.

Sorta silly isn't it? Why would anyone do something like that?

:ph34r:Then you find it isn't really the accumulation of those meaningless items, but the fun you have in seeking them with other like minded people. ;)

Ah well all is fair in love and war, hey did someone put some new caches on Mother Miguel since I was last out there B):D;):blink:

GeoCamera = Cannon PowerShot A1100IS, last of a dying breed that

still features an optical viewfinder and is pocket-size for hiking. Also

handles large memory cards.

Looked them up and seem to be in my price range, will check further into it. Used to using my Olympus Camedia d-560, but after sitting so long unused with batteries in, doesn't seem to work with the rechargeable batterries anymore? 12MP vs. 3.2Mp would be a big upgrade and reviews seem to indicate optics are pretty good also for a point and shoot.

Plus it would get me into the All Canon Team, as my main camera is a 40D set-up and my printers are all Canon products. Heck even have an A-1 I still use from time to time! :P

Edited by CTYankee9

My choice for small geo-camera is the Canon Powershot SD700 IS

About the size of a pack of playing cards

Cannon optics (quality of the glass is crucial on these small cameras)

Optical Viewfinder (The LCD just doesn't cut it for some shots)

Image Stabilized (Also important on small cameras which just don't have enough mass to keep them statically stable.

The SD700 isn't made any more but you can find its successors.

Many of the photos that I've posted on the Critters thread were taken with this camera.

My choice for small geo-camera is the Canon Powershot SD700 IS

About the size of a pack of playing cards

Cannon optics (quality of the glass is crucial on these small cameras)

Optical Viewfinder (The LCD just doesn't cut it for some shots)

Image Stabilized (Also important on small cameras which just don't have enough mass to keep them statically stable.

The SD700 isn't made any more but you can find its successors.

Many of the photos that I've posted on the Critters thread were taken with this camera.

I agree about getting a camera with a viewfinder. I have an SD750 and although it's very small and takes good shots, I wish it had a view finder.

Looked them up and seem to be in my price range, will check further into it. Used to using my Olympus Camedia d-560, but after sitting so long unused with batteries in, doesn't seem to work with the rechargeable batterries anymore? 12MP vs. 3.2Mp would be a big upgrade and reviews seem to indicate optics are pretty good also for a point and shoot.

Plus it would get me into the All Canon Team, as my main camera is a 40D set-up and my printers are all Canon products. Heck even have an A-1 I still use from time to time! :)

Welcome back Ian. Missed you and Piglit on the trails.

As for cameras, I prefer the ones that accept AA's 'cause that's what my GPS takes and are easy to find. My daughter had a SD1100IS - took it to the beach; got sand in it; now the lense is stuck shut. Thinking of getting her the more affordable Canon Powershot A480 for her next camera.

Plus it would get me into the All Canon Team, as my main camera is a 40D set-up and my printers are all Canon products. Heck even have an A-1 I still use from time to time! :laughing:

As for cameras, I prefer the ones that accept AA's 'cause that's what my GPS takes and are easy to find. My daughter had a SD1100IS - took it to the beach; got sand in it; now the lense is stuck shut. Thinking of getting her the more affordable Canon Powershot A480 for her next camera.

Went with Harmon's recommendation and got a Canon PowerShot A1100 IS 12.1 Megapixel one. Actually got it way cheaper than my broken Olympus one from a few years back :) , funny how that works!

Plus it would get me into the All Canon Team, as my main camera is a 40D set-up and my printers are all Canon products. Heck even have an A-1 I still use from time to time! :(

Went with Harmon's recommendation and got a Canon PowerShot A1100 IS 12.1 Megapixel one. Actually got it way cheaper than my broken Olympus one from a few years back :lol: , funny how that works!

You'll really enjoy that camera. Image stabilization, optical eyepiece, plenty of resolution, and will accomodate a huge external memory card. I installed an 8-Gbyte card and, at the M2 resolution setting, the card will hold over 5,400 shots. Go figure! a vacation bonanza on one memory card and an economic way to support memory-card image archiving. At M3 setting the card holds 9.999 shots but who would shoot at M3?

Make sure to download the full manual from Canon, A1100IS.pdf.

Check out the macro capability too, note how it can auto-switch to macro-mode when held very-very close to an object. Another great feature is that the display screen can be pre-set to be off when the camera is turned on so's to conserve battery charge. Couple of rechargeable AA NiMh batteries last well and are the same battery type used in my Garmin 60Csx.

Did I mention the many auto-focus modes? ... and you don't have to look spastic when framing shots on an unreadable display-screen while outdoors.

Only missing features are RAW mode and bracketed shooting for HDR sequences; but then, who th' heck wants to mount a pocket-sized camera on a tripod for HDR bracketing? With Photoshop CS4 one can handle single-frame HDR problems and also RAW-process JPEG images anyway.

Just to mention it, all digital cameras deliver less than perfect color and sharpness, on purpose to meet mass-market snapshot appeal. One can achieve vivid colors and razor-sharpness only with Photoshop, even old versions back to something like version 7. ... and I don't mean Photoshop Elements. To do so one must learn how to process images in Lab color mode and the processing steps can be fully recorded and thus automated to work on entire file-system folder with one-press of a shortcut button. Not hard to learn how either.

Admittedly I haven't subjected my camera to the FlagMan crush-test so that's an open issue.

Will await some posted shots from your terrific new camera. Have fun!

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

New cache. Size: Extra Large. Difficulty: 5.

fff30c07-aabb-4890-bd3f-c4204c38b180.jpg

Aw shucks ...

09ca5859-571b-47ef-8f81-481179f2e5b1.jpg

It's all broken.

That's what happens when you screw it to a telephone pole. :huh:B):(

See all those little white specks? Yeah ... that's what's left of the logsheet.

Of course this opens up a spot for a new hide, how about in the old car?

Hmm, can we get fries with that Maverick?

Edited by SD Rowdies