The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

And I thought to myself, a little fermented curd will do the trick, so, I curtailed my Walpoling activites, sallied forth,

and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!

Oh, I thought you were complaining about the bazouki player!

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick note so you can mark your calendar right now!

The second annual Blair Valley Campout is scheduled for Oct. 22,23,24.

We are working on some fun things, new caches, Poker Run, maybe even a chili cooking contest. (make yer chili at home and bring it) for Sat. nite so we'll all have something good to eat. Then the campfire will be very interesting.

No marshmellows allowed this year!! hahaha (ugly flashback)

We'll be getting the cache page up in the next 3-4 weeks, but just wanted to give you a heads up on the date. Any suggestions are welcome!

Splashette, JB & LF, Vulture,$kimmer, Rotton Rodney and the ever popular Fattboy

Any news on this event? Is it official yet? Looking forward to it.

The Blair Valley geo campout page will be out the latter part of this week. We will submit it on Thurs. I think, since we're leaving for Powell on

Friday. I know Daryl & Jamey will get it up on the site a.s.a.p. We are having a brain storming session on Wed. night to finalize things, but so far the Poker Run should be a certainty (unless problems arise). Any input on bringing your favorite chili and garlic bread for Sat. night?

We're bringing "Blazing Saddles Chili".

There should be plenty of room for motorhomes or trailers as well as tents also.

Dates are: Oct. 22,23,& 24th.

Splashette

Re: the Anza campout...

Have you contacted the rangers? Although it's not an official big-deal event, they might like a heads up. If we let them know ahead of time that it's a campout for fun, they might not get all twisted about it. Heck, we might even get info on stuff they are doing like geology lectures, etc. There was a volunteer there who was a cacher, and she might be a good first contact. Unfortunately I can't remeber her name... big help huh? Otherwise we'll just camp out like any other group. I mean, you don't need a permit for camping (especially if there is no cache itinerary posted).

BTW, I'll be bringing a marshmallow chili dish. :rolleyes:

Parsa

Be aware that when the cache page comes up it will be pretty simple. It will mention that we are camping at a certain spot, nothing official planned, and maybe something about our chili dinner.

Just a little get together so the rangers won't become alarmed and think we are throwing a rave or something.

I think they were pleased with us last year.

Parsa's marshmellow chili sounds interesting, is anyone bringing road kill chili?

If you need additional info. just e-mail any of us.

Thanks,

Splashette

Drop all those puzzles and head out after Flagman's new cache.....IT IS AWESOME! yes there is a simple puzzle/mystery to solve and then you are on your way to a great adventure. This is probably the best done cache i've seen in san diego as of yet (still working on getting out to the infamous sandy creek cowboy caches).

It is well worth the time to crack the puzzle. :laughing:

Zis Is KAOS, Ve Don’t Bush-vaak Here! (GCKC5B)

Kudos Flagman! :)

Thanks for the plug, Steve (and Duncan, too). So far only a handful of cachers have taken this one on. The puzzle part is certainly not even close to a match for a TT whopper, and the terrain level is entirely dependent upon what previous cachers do after solving it. But it has some unique aspects that I think you will enjoy. Might bring me out of my TT-induced depression trying to sequence DNA from only a 10th grade biology education if someone would go after this one :P .

The campout page is out: GCKJEM

As we said the page is pretty generic except for the chili part. There will be a Poker Run, but we didn't want to include it on the page, as well as lots of new caches being placed. Everyone feel welcome to place their own also. If the rangers feel that there are too many then we will remove them after the campout.

This is an APC (anti-puzzle campout) so that the majority of us can find it.

E-mail us with any questions!!

Splashette

As we said the page is pretty generic except for the chili part. There will be a Poker Run, but we didn't want to include it on the page, as well as lots of new caches being placed. Everyone feel welcome to place their own also. If the rangers feel that there are too many then we will remove them after the campout.

This is an APC (anti-puzzle campout) so that the majority of us can find it.

Splashette

:) Maybe I should bring back the APC's (now that I'm banging my head on this Blueprint puzzle), Jeff said he didn't mind... :P

D :laughing:

I was thinking of places to go caching in Anza. I know some of you managed to get out there caching now and then, but I've hardly been there since the last time. Two main areas I need to hit are all those caches around the Ocotillo Wells OHV area, and the area down south in the Mica Hill/Indian Hill area. The caches around Blair Valley seem to mostly be high terrain rated caches. Since I have no holidays from now till then, I'll have to take a day or two off for "mental health" needs. I'd like to at least do a few of those summit caches ya'll got last time.

Parsa

Drop all those puzzles and head out after Flagman's new cache.....IT IS AWESOME! yes there is a simple puzzle/mystery to solve and then you are on your way to a great adventure. This is probably the best done cache i've seen in san diego as of yet (still working on getting out to the infamous sandy creek cowboy caches).

It is well worth the time to crack the puzzle. :lol:

Kudos Flagman!  :)

Thanks for the plug, Steve (and Duncan, too). So far only a handful of cachers have taken this one on. The puzzle part is certainly not even close to a match for a TT whopper, and the terrain level is entirely dependent upon what previous cachers do after solving it. But it has some unique aspects that I think you will enjoy. Might bring me out of my TT-induced depression trying to sequence DNA from only a 10th grade biology education if someone would go after this one :anibad: .

Zis is Kaos is so cool I might just do it again! Duncan, you up for it?

It is well worth the time to crack the puzzle. :)

Kudos Flagman!  :lol:

Thanks for the plug, Steve (and Duncan, too). So far only a handful of cachers have taken this one on. The puzzle part is certainly not even close to a match for a TT whopper, and the terrain level is entirely dependent upon what previous cachers do after solving it. But it has some unique aspects that I think you will enjoy. Might bring me out of my TT-induced depression trying to sequence DNA from only a 10th grade biology education if someone would go after this one :lol: .

Actually, there is an aspect of the cache that we didn't get to experience...

BTW, just hit the big 900, just a 100 to go to a thousand caches (last time I checked 1000-900=100, but after doing TT's caches I question everything...).

Puzzle junkie in training,

Duscwe :anibad:

(Mary Magdalene's Negro Baby @ Sep 17 2004, 08:45 AM)
(FlagMan @ Sep 16 2004, 05:47 AM)
(The Dillon Gang @ Aug 29 2004, 06:45 PM)

It is well worth the time to crack the puzzle. 

Kudos Flagman!   

Thanks for the plug, Steve (and Duncan, too). So far only a handful of cachers have taken this one on. The puzzle part is certainly not even close to a match for a TT whopper, and the terrain level is entirely dependent upon what previous cachers do after solving it. But it has some unique aspects that I think you will enjoy. Might bring me out of my TT-induced depression trying to sequence DNA from only a 10th grade biology education if someone would go after this one .

Being the last cacher with Larabee and Agent99 I thought I would try to be somewhat sadistic. :anibad: I had orginally tried to place agent99 in Geckos Galore bike and hike only to find the cache gone. (I emailed Don the bad news). It is a nice 4 mile bike ride and wonderful hike, up!. So...where then?

I can only think that people are too busy with other caches or not up for the challenge where these bugs have been placed. My guess, too busy. With school back in session I am back to finding one cache a week. It was a fun summer.

Congrats to Duscwe! on making 900. :)

Edited by devhead

As we said the page is pretty generic except for the chili part.  There will be a Poker Run, but we didn't want to  include it on the page, as well as lots of new caches being placed. Everyone feel welcome to place their own also. If the rangers feel that there are too many then we will remove them after the campout.

This is an APC (anti-puzzle campout)  so that the majority of us can find it.

Splashette

This sounds like a cool event. We're shut out on the calendar (Girl Scouts, Indian Princesses, Karate, Cheerleading, etc.), but I do have a small request. We'll be camping at Blair Valley in March with our the Magdalena Ecke YMCA Bear Nation Princesses. Last year we were able to search for Rocket Man's Desert Peek a Boo, but had to give up because many of the girls who were most excited about the adventure were 5 and 6 years old and were getting dinged up.

If you place any caches in the general vicinity of Peek a Boo that are 2/2 or less, could you please leave at least one? I know many scouts, guides, and princesses camp at Blair and would appreciate it.

Also, is the poker run a traditional vehicular point to point poker run? Or is it a cache poker run? A cache poker run would be an interesting concept...

Being the last cacher with Larabee and Agent99 I thought I would try to be somewhat sadistic.  I had orginally tried to place agent99 in Geckos Galore bike and hike only to find the cache gone. (I emailed Don the bad news). It is a nice 4 mile bike ride and wonderful hike, up!. So...where then?

I can only think that people are too busy with other caches or not up for the challenge where these bugs have been placed. My guess, too busy. With school back in session I am back to finding one cache a week. It was a fun summer.

Congrats to Duscwe! on making 900.

Well, that is interesting to hear you say, I went and took a look due to the chatter here, and I guess my only comment is, Whatever, thanks anyway.

Personally, I like geocaching. Puzzles are fun, and I am glad some people have such a great time with them. however, some of us aren't as "into" the whole puzzle thing. It isn't even that they are difficult, I do harder stuff at work sometimes. But, they are time consuming and honestly, I just don't like cryptography that much. I have also noticed that a heck of a lot of the logs on mystery/puzzle caches, note hints or nudges that were needed. How is that a good puzzle cache? seems more like a clique cache....and I don't mean that in a nasty way, just an observation.

Anyhow, I like creatively hidden caches, where the cleverness in finding them, is the finding, not solving a puzzle to get the coordinates. Some of the camo stuff is just soooo much fun.

That said, Mary Magdelene's Negro Baby's puzzle are a different story. :lol:

She(??) has a couple of really evil ones, at least if you just look online they are, however, I get the feeling that with just a bit of investigation, they unfold for the seeker. also, the binary tree puzzle is great. It isn't a mystery how to do it, as the directions are there, but the doing it is a fun mental exercise.

Well, I know some people will probably take this wrong, and that is too bad. All I am doing is expressing my opinion, and I don't feel any ill-will.

namaste.

Being the last cacher with Larabee and Agent99 I thought I would try to be somewhat sadistic.  I had orginally tried to place agent99 in Geckos Galore bike and hike only to find the cache gone. (I emailed Don the bad news). It is a nice 4 mile bike ride and wonderful hike, up!. So...where then?

Congrats to Duscwe! on making 900.

Well, that is interesting to hear you say, I went and took a look due to the chatter here, and I guess my only comment is, Whatever, thanks anyway.

Personally, I like geocaching. Puzzles are fun, and I am glad some people have such a great time with them. however, some of us aren't as "into" the whole puzzle thing. It isn't even that they are difficult, I do harder stuff at work sometimes. But, they are time consuming and honestly, I just don't like cryptography that much. I have also noticed that a heck of a lot of the logs on mystery/puzzle caches, note hints or nudges that were needed. How is that a good puzzle cache? seems more like a clique cache....and I don't mean that in a nasty way, just an observation.

Anyhow, I like creatively hidden caches, where the cleverness in finding them, is the finding, not solving a puzzle to get the coordinates. Some of the camo stuff is just soooo much fun.

That said, Mary Magdelene's Negro Baby's puzzle are a different story. :o

She(??) has a couple of really evil ones, at least if you just look online they are, however, I get the feeling that with just a bit of investigation, they unfold for the seeker. also, the binary tree puzzle is great. It isn't a mystery how to do it, as the directions are there, but the doing it is a fun mental exercise.

Well, I know some people will probably take this wrong, and that is too bad. All I am doing is expressing my opinion, and I don't feel any ill-will.

namaste.

Maybe I should make a list of all the things I don't like about NORBU caches. Oops, I forgot, there aren't any!! Just my opinion.......... :lol:

I have also noticed that a heck of a lot of the logs on mystery/puzzle caches, note hints or nudges that were needed. How is that a good puzzle cache? seems more like a clique cache....and I don't mean that in a nasty way, just an observation.

What I like about the really challenging puzzle caches, is that they make me stretch myself a little bit beyond what I know. I know I'm not in the running for the FTF on things like "Blueprint," but with some googling, and talking to smarter people than me - I can learn what it takes to get the problem solved. When I get too frustrated with them, I sit back and do some of the traditionals... or go out to the caves and do Black Beard's Grotto... muahaha... awesome cache there.

I don't think it's so much a clique, as it is the fact that we have a group of pretty gosh durned smart people out there, and "nudge" isn't always what you and I would need from a nudge.

That said... I'm off to work on some of these friggin science driven caches to figure out who I am.

NomadVW

So what is a poker run? :o

We have a house just south of San Felipe (Baja) in a community called Laguna Percebu, or Rancho Percebu (depending on who's behind the bar in the cantina).

Every Thanksgiving weekend, there is a poker run with a large number of assorted characters riding through the desert in or on some very interesting vehicles (ATV's, Quads, motorcycles, desert rails, even the odd '64 Cadillac).

It's not a race for speed (the kids go all out, though - it's a male ego thing). It's a point to point contest. At each checkpoint, the rider draws a blind card from a batch of cards. There are 5 checkpoints (thus, 5 cards per vehicle), and the event ends at the cantina.

There are prizes for the best poker hands. The event in Percebu has grown over the years. It used to be about 20-25 participants years ago. Now there are 200, and Tecate co-sponsors the event along with the Tourism Council. It's a blast, but given the mix of tequila and beer that always accompanies the run, we just opt to hang out at the cantina and leave the driving out of the equation. :lol:

Percebu Poker Run Pic

Maybe I should make a list of all the things I don't like about NORBU caches.  Oops, I forgot, there aren't any!!  Just my opinion.......... :lol:

gee, Tom, you come off a bit defensive here? If that is your real beef, that I haven't placed any caches, you should start a new game, with new rules.

anyway, nuff said about that, since I am not really into personal attacks like some folks

as for having intelligent people, yeah, 160 keeps me right up there, I just have different tastes. I also had an opinion, go ahead, hate away. No worries here.

I do find it a bit odd to be criticized by someone who's only 5/5 cache depends on other people's difficult caches. Not that I don't like the idea, just find it ironic.

and Dan-oh, you are silly, and if you get my husband quoting python all night, I am going to have to hunt you down. :o

edited to add - Oh wait, I did re-place a cache. gee whiz that makes me so gosh darn special I may pass out.

Edited by norbu

I know not everyone keeps up with cache logs for caches they've already found, but during a PQ canyon search today on Chupy 4: The Walkabout, I found that construction grading had wiped out WP13 and Chupy 1 as well. Both are "old timers" as SD caches go. I know that this is bound to happen as new homes are built upon previously open areas, I was just saddened to lose this quiet area in this grove. I had really enjoyed finding Chupy 1 just about 3 weeks ago. Thought some of the "older" SD cachers might like to know...

-Tony :lol:

I know not everyone keeps up with cache logs for caches they've already found, but during a PQ canyon search today on Chupy 4: The Walkabout, I found that construction grading had wiped out WP13 and Chupy 1 as well. Both are "old timers" as SD caches go. I know that this is bound to happen as new homes are built upon previously open areas, I was just saddened to lose this quiet area in this grove. I had really enjoyed finding Chupy 1 just about 3 weeks ago. Thought some of the "older" SD cachers might like to know...

-Tony :lol:

That totally sux. someday there won't be anywhere left. :o

I am not really into personal attacks like some folks

I guess my reaction to the opinions of those who are long on criticism and short on contribution is, "yeah, whatever...."

you define contribution how you want. and where the heck did I criticize, Exactly??? I actually like your kaos cache idea, and I even like some of the puzzles, I just shared my agreement that, yeah, no one is going for kaos, because of the extreme effort now involved. Well, no one except a small group anyhow.

you are an odd one. There is no need to take everything so personal. It really comes off bad.

your attitude is not a contribution to anything but mud-slinging and bad feelings. geocaching would be better off with more nice people.

at least I cito instead of complaining about locations :lol:

there was that more on your level??? I tried.

also, again, go make your own game, where people have to play both sides. Good job alienating people who aren't just like you.

I like to seek, not hide. get over it and live your own life.

so yeah, whatever, I am not doing your kaos cache anytime soon. oooh. gasp. ouch.

and again, "long on criticism"? you are just reading how you like. you are one of the local cachers that I have noticed has a negative opinion to share quite often.

Tone it down a couple of notches, folks!

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

hey nomadvw, just to be accurate, the original observation that no one was trying for kaos was from devhed, the self proclaimed "sadist" who wants you to do just that, go spend all day on a cache. Have a great time. :o

edited to add, go try Sticks and Stones or Y crack if you want more than just a hike as well.

edited again to add - oh just an addition on the topic of contribution, how many of the locals have made a concerted effort to buy cool stuff Just to put in caches? not as many as could, from the amounts of tnlnsl log entries. Now, this is an area that is great and adds a lot of fun for family hunters. (granted, I ran out of stuff recently), so I encourage everyone to join in that fun too. You don't have to place a cache to contribute. I highly recommend the Bumble Geocaching Buttons, they are soooo cute.

:lol:

Edited by norbu

I didn't say anyone said no one, i just saw it said and wanted Flagman to know that someone is. I'm not particularly interested in the back and forth. I just don't want the puzzlers to get irritated with the confrontation and not do them. It's easy to say that it wouldn't happen, but having been a programmer for online games - I've seen burn out when people get the smallest complaint. I know there are in the neighborhood of 600 caches within 40ish miles from me, so there's certainly enough caches of everyone's type that if a cache type isn't liked, it's probably easier to just skip it on the PQ.

Thanks for the recommendations on the caches! I'll put them on the todo list as well :lol: Taking a day off today after leaving blood and skin in the La Jolla Caves yesterday.

VW

I'm going for the Kaos cache...

I hope you like KAOS. I put many hours of time and well over $100 in putting it together. I think you will find the difficulty rating over-stated (at least right now), but I can assure you that it was initially accurate based on the original setup of the cache. Have fun!

Personally, I think the puzzle caches have added an entirely new element to the game. The first (and one of my all-time favorites) was a Parsa cache called First Contact. There may have been some others along the way, but when TT emerged on the scene, we started getting challenged in a whole new way. I only jokingly refer to Jeff as "Evil" in the most respectful of terms. I love all types of geocaches. If NORBU elects to hide any, I am sure I will love hers as well (hence, the double-entendre of my initial reply to her message about KAOS). Her husband's caches are great! I have a particular affection to the "long hike up a steep hill" caches, as evidenced by FlagMan's Rescue. I also love the cool location caches, as evidenced by The Grandparent's Cache and FlagMan's Fourth of July Cache. I am sobered by the disaster caches, as evidenced by Whispering Ridge View-Of-The-Fire and Scripps View. I love the cammo caches, although I admit to lacking the creativity needed to create a good one of this type. I love micros, virtuals, locationless and event caches. I will probably love the power caches if I ever get around to doing one. I don't even care if there is swag. There is room in the game for every type of cache and every type of cacher. The one thing that I am not particularly fond of is caches hidden in poison oak. But even that usually gets fixed pretty quickly. There was that one sort of lame one in Lake Elsinore, but one out of 900+ is barely worth mentioning. As far as the forums go, I just don't really think this is the place to knock any one else's creativity.

Until today, I have never been accused by any other cacher of being unpleasant in any way. I have a tremedous amount of affection for all cachers, especially all those who shared their concern over the events following last year's Blair Valley campout. For the record, Thank you ALL for the fun, and Happy Hunting! :lol:

All you anti-puzzle peeps need not read any further. 8-)

They're gone? OK! -

SoCal Admin re-enabled the Wizard cache, and after discovering you can't upload Word Docs, and numerous edits to make the data semi-legible on the page itself -

The Off to Find a Wizard cache is open for business!

Earl, Ringmaster,

The Adams Family Circus