The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

The picnic planning is well under way. we have lined up a couple of fun games/competition and have prizes.

we are looking for donations for a raffle or prizes for the games. if you know someone or a business that is willing to donate please drop Padregirl, Devhead or I a line.

crowds didn't look too bad down there and there was still plenty of parking around 10am this last saturday.

Donations we have so far:

A RC Hummer car

Items from Groundspeak

Tonight I dropped off YJTB #0060 in Sunset Cache and #4232 in Pay Homage to the Master. For those who have already "paid homage", please don't be a toolbox and go back just to grab the Jeep. I put that one in there to perhaps give motivation to those on the cusp of finishing it as a semi-prize. The one in Sunset is a free for all, on the other hand.

--TT--

4 days without a post to this thread! What are you all up to? Caching? Just posting something to keep this thread towards the top. Please note that between planning the picnic and putting together another order of the California Geocoin, San Diego's one and only, 'The Dillon Gang' hit the 500 mark today. Wooohoooo! Lets give it up for a dedicated family of geocachers.

Edited by devhead
4 days without a post to this thread! What are you all up to? Caching? Just posting something to keep this thread towards the top. Please note that between planning the picnic and putting together another order of the California Geocoin, San Diego's one and only, 'The Dillon Gang' hit the 500 mark today. Wooohoooo!  Lets give it up for a dedicated family of geocachers.

Yay D-gang! Who says numbers don't matter!? Not to toot my own horn (well, maybe a little), but I did #800 today at TT's Geocaching Geometry, lotsa fun! Looking forward to the picnic!

D :anitongue:

Edited by Duscwe!
Yay D-gang!  Who says numbers don't matter!?  Not to toot my own horn (well, maybe a little), but I did #800 today at TT's Geocaching Geometry, lotsa fun!  Looking forward to the picnic!

D :P

thanks for the congrats....I'll toot your horn for ya.....

Hear ye Hear ye! Duscwe hit Number 800 on Geocaching Geometry. Excellent choice for number 800.

Way to Goooooo!!!! :anitongue:

Going caching in the Lagunas on Friday (8/6), I know its short notice, anyone game? Drop me an e-mail by 10 PM if interested. I'll drive! Have jeep, will cache!

Really want to do the Sandy creek cowboy cache that requires the ladder or pole or whatever.

Duscwe!

Really want to do the Sandy creek cowboy cache that requires the ladder or pole or whatever.

Duscwe!

Contrary to the sage advice of dem ol' cowboyz, Sandy Creek 3 doesn't require a ladder. It's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, but I had to prove to myself if just for the self-aggrandizing pride, that I could do it without. Besides, how to you strap a 15 ft ladder to a sedan? But hey...you too might get an academic grant from the 'Boyz if you don't use a ladder as well! B)

#5 is hilarious, though!

--TT--

Hey!! If anyone has anything they want to donate as a RAFFEL prize for the picnic PLEASE let me know ASAP!!!! B)

Thanks! See you all on the 14'th!!!

-Padregirl :mellow:

Hi Padre Girl,

I have a pair of nice binoculars which were a hard earned FTF prize for solving "The Ocotillo Challange Poker Run" cache that I think would be a great prize. I'll bring them to the picnic and throw them in the kitty.

Ruscal

Hi folks. I am not a San Diegan, so I hope you don't mind my posting on your thread. My family and I visited the area a little over a week ago and enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. I even managed to set aside one day for caching, mostly in the Carlsbad and Encinitas areas. Years back (more than I care to admit) I lived in Cardiff, Solana Beach, La Jolla and Mission Beach (while attending UCSD). So the area continues to hold its charm for me, despite being somewhat unrecogizable since the population appears to have at least tripled since I moved away. Despite the added crowds, the weather is great and the area continues to be a very wonderful place.

I sure wish your picnic were two weeks earlier than it is. I would have loved to have attended and met some cachers from the area. I believe I've met two so far, PJH and Ruscal. I doubt if I would have had too much trouble talking the rest of my family into going, given the location of the event.

I saw all of the discussion on power caching trails and see a tremendous amount of passion in the subject. I wonder if those that are so vocally opposed have ever tried a power caching trail? I suspect not and even concluded from a couple of the posts that the perception of what a power caching trail involves is a very unimaginative bunch of uncamouflaged tupperware scattered about every 10th of a mile, or something like that. I think I even saw someone call them "drop and run caches". I have never hidden a power caching trail series, but I have two good friends that have and both series are first rate. The best, by far, was hidden by Team Dakiba here in Thousand Oaks (where I live). One of the caches requires a half gallon of water to retrieve. Others are disguised as local wildlife. All are very well camouflaged. and many are exceptionally difficult to find. If the words "power caching" were not a part of the name of this series, most of the nay sayers on this thread would likely be favorably impressed with the quality of this series. The hike itself is a moderate hike of just over 6 miles and affords some of the most spectacular views of Wildwood Canyon and Hill Canyon.

The other power caching series is a very physically challenging series hidden by another friend of mine, Agouracharger. The hike will cover between 6 and 10 miles, depending upon whether or not you add other caches in the area that are not part of the series. There is about 1500 feet of elevation gain if you do everything up there. On a clear day you will get some of the most breathtaking views seen anywhere in our area of Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park, the Oxnard Plain and the ocean and Channel Islands. The caches themselves are very well placed and well camouflaged. Because of their difficulty and the fact that the trail gets quite hot in the summer, only 3 people have found half of the series so far. The other half has been out a little longer and is a little easier to get to as well. Nevertheless, it is a power caching trail.

So while you're all entitled to your opinion, you may want to withhold judgement if you haven't tried a power caching trail. Your perception of what it really is is probably more driven by what the name implies than the reality of what the series offers. I personally could never hide a power caching series, because I don't have the time to do a good job on it. But Gordon and Dana had the time and did the hard work to make two first rate series of caches.

Enjoy the picnic all. I wish I could be there to meet all of you.

Scott

Edited by slegal

Are any SD Cachers that bike going to the Midnight Madness Fun Ride next weekend?

Next Saturday is the Midnight Madness bike ride through the streets of San Diego. Its a great time to amp up on too much coffee, spin some easy miles, have some fun and see the freaks on wheels. There's an amazing blend of color coordinated roadies, beach cruiser, mountain bikers and wierdos of every sort on wheels.

The "rules" require one light but you'll feel out of place if you don't bring a average of 2 lights and 7.5 glow sticks. Oh, gotta have a bell or two, or three...

Specifics: Sat August 21st

light and costume contests at 10pm

ride at 12 midnight

fees are $25 pre, $30 night of event

I'll be steps of the County Admin building on Harbor Drive, 'tween 11 and midnight.

Hope you can make it! E me for more info.

2003 ride images

Dan-oh wrote

Are any SD Cachers that bike going to the Midnight Madness Fun Ride next weekend?

Yes, I'll be there with my rino 120. I will be on channel 2 of the FRS band. Maybe we can get a Team Geocaching t shirt made up if there are a bunch of us. Another item to discuss at the picnic?

Down to the wire now for the Summer picnic. here's some last minute info some people would find helpful:

we are trying to get a spot at the north end of Crown Point. look for us near the water, up on the grass. hopefully under a huge tree with a lifeguard stand. or just to the left of it.

In the case we don't get our spot: Use the Micro Cache.

the micro cache is tucked in a green utility box at the north entrance to Crown Point. inside will be the coordinates of where we actually end up. you can park within 5 ft of the cache and not be seen grabbing it. Yes it is legal parking.

if you go to cache #GCJN9D

and zoom in a little there is the old los coches historical tunnel. I went there a couple weeks ago to go have a look at it, and do some caching, but the thing is 200FT inside the fence of the avocado grove. anyone know who owns those groves or how to get ahold of the people so I can maybe go have a look at the old historical tunnel?

anyone know what the tunnel was for? seen it? know anything about it??? I am way curiosu about this and I want to go see it.....I love historical things.....

:wacko: Congrats to Rocket Man on his 500th!! See you all at the Picnic! :anibad:

Yeah! Congrats to Rocketman on his 500th!

Cory85 and I are sorry to have missed the picnic. The Dillon Gang, Devhead, and Padregirl certainly did a fantastic job with the planning. I appreciate your efforts even though I couldn't be there. We missed seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

These picnics have been in a nice variety of places. Picnics all over the county! Guess that East County hasn't had a picnic, but someone will likely organize something. That would be a good location for February/March! Okay, who lives out there?

That upcomong bicycle ride sounds like a lot of fun! I turn into a pumpkin at midnight. Thanks for letting all of us know about that, Dan-oh. This forum is a good place for finding people to team up for events around the county. And Team Geocaching t-shirts are another good idea. Okay, someone in this rag-tag group must be able to get some made up? Team Geocaching - San Diego County.

One more thing. Dan-oh had mentioned that he knows someone who could get a good tree to be used as a memorial for Yrium. I would like to contribute to that. There is a memorial cache, but there is just something about a growing tree.... well for one thing, it probably wouldn't be muggled! Escondido sent me the file on the steps that need to be taken for approval. Trees are the easiest. Wish that I were really wealthy..... a bronze sculpture of his hat on his walking stick would be the first thing I would check into.

Retha

Edited by corysmom

Number One Son GCEA6 is now back up and ready for business.

Thanks to TPTB at Groundspeak for moving this cache to my account (hey, an official adoption) and thanks to ClimberX for going all the way back out to reset it. He must have submitted and approved his own cache because I didn't have to do anything. :(

Cache history: the cache was removed sometime after March 03 because it hadn't been through the official SDRP cache approval process. Truly, it isn't as bad as you might think. The cache is the 1st offspring of Breeder GCE6B set up by Yrium in July 01. The most recent progeny of Breeder is Parsa's Veridian Queen GCHYGH in Escondido. Other than that, I don't have more background info. I'll have to defer to some of the SD old timers for that.

166393_1000.jpg

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick note so you can mark your calendar right now!

The second annual Blair Valley Campout is scheduled for Oct. 22,23,24.

We are working on some fun things, new caches, Poker Run, maybe even a chili cooking contest. (make yer chili at home and bring it) for Sat. nite so we'll all have something good to eat. Then the campfire will be very interesting.

No marshmellows allowed this year!! hahaha (ugly flashback)

We'll be getting the cache page up in the next 3-4 weeks, but just wanted to give you a heads up on the date. Any suggestions are welcome!

Splashette, JB & LF, Vulture,$kimmer, Rotton Rodney and the ever popular Fattboy

Chamber of Secrets GCGF2R

I was talking with TT at the picnic about LA caches and mentioned this was a "must do". I believe SoCal Geocachers rated it cache of the year for 2003. There's a puzzle (that will take TT 2.7 seconds to solve) and a good scramble to the chamber. Its rated a 4/4 but I think its easier than that. WE know what a 4 star difficulty looks like :)

Terrain prolly is a 4 due to the scramble and the "specialized" equipment thats needed. BTW, my 8 and 11 yo daughters made it just fine.

Its worth a trip to LA just for the cache. Put it on your list.

Entrance(sm).jpg

Chamber of Secrets GCGF2R

I was talking with TT at the picnic about LA caches and mentioned this was a "must do". I believe SoCal Geocachers rated it cache of the year for 2003. There's a puzzle (that will take TT 2.7 seconds to solve) and a good scramble to the chamber. Its rated a 4/4 but I think its easier than that. WE know what a 4 star difficulty looks like :o

Terrain prolly is a 4 due to the scramble and the "specialized" equipment thats needed. BTW, my 8 and 11 yo daughters made it just fine.

Entrance(sm).jpg

This is the cache that RUSCAL did for his 1000th cache with Ventura Kids and Team Dakiba along with some other "milestone" cachers.

There's a puzzle (that will take TT 2.7 seconds to solve) and a good scramble to the chamber. Its rated a 4/4 but I think its easier than that. WE[/b

All I can say on this Chamber of Secrets is thank goodness I'm from AZ. Actually took about 1.4 seconds to recognize what it is, Dan-oh. :o But I'll put this one on my puzzles-to-do list with the 150 or so in the Bay Area I need to do.

Yeah...you all think that I'm filthy sick in the head with puzzles. Check out Sunnyvale and San Jose for some true masters of masochism. It's like Mecca for puzzlers up there! Anyone wanna go up and bag about 100 puzzles some time? Lemme know!

--TT--

Suggested thread move:

SoCalGeocachers.com has set up regional threads for SoCal. You can find the SD section at http://www.socalgeocachers.com/modules.php...=viewforum&f=11. Its a good site and I post there too but SD stuff can get buried quickly. Now that there's a section, SD topics won't get bowled over. Moving our SD conversation there allows the flexibility of sub-threads and makes it part of the larger SCG community.

C'mon over and join the party!

I'd like to throw open to the SD community the straw poll as to which cache I should do for my 1000th. I was hopeful that "Off to see a Wizard" would've been re-activated for #1000, but it looks like that's not gonna happen by this weekend. So please gimme some good ideas for a milestone (preferably here in SD or in LA), and I'll try and go for it this weekend. Vote early vote often. And no...Erte Ala Volcano (GCB5D7) is not up for consideration. B)

--TT--

I'd like to throw open to the SD community the straw poll as to which cache I should do for my 1000th. I was hopeful that "Off to see a Wizard" would've been re-activated for #1000, but it looks like that's not gonna happen by this weekend. So please gimme some good ideas for a milestone (preferably here in SD or in LA), and I'll try and go for it this weekend. Vote early vote often. And no...Erte Ala Volcano (GCB5D7) is not up for consideration. B)

--TT--

Hey Jeff,

I always wanted to do the Batman's Batcave in LA ;)

Batcave

Not a very challenging cache, but it might be memorable. My favorite '60 Batman quote: "Robin, there are few things I don't know." Good luck,

D B)

I'd like to throw open to the SD community the straw poll as to which cache I should do for my 1000th.  I was hopeful that "Off to see a Wizard" would've been re-activated for #1000, but it looks like that's not gonna happen by this weekend.  So please gimme some good ideas for a milestone (preferably here in SD or in LA), and I'll try and go for it this weekend.  Vote early vote often.  And no...Erte Ala Volcano (GCB5D7) is not up for consideration. :ph34r:

--TT--

A pocket query for a 5/5 turns up Pandora's Box - REV. 1 (GCHW1H)

Might this fit the bill? It looks evil enough to at least slow down the T-2...I mean TT.

Well, gee, TT. It depends on which way you want to go - theme or difficulty. Personally, we like the idea of Erta Ale. We may finally get a FTF that way. :P (We didn't know you were out of the area on vacation until you were already back. Otherwise, we might have tried harder. :P )

For difficulty, Pandora's box sounds like a good one, but what happens if you can't figure it out? :P

The Joker should do something Batman-related. Stick to the theme, is our vote.

Thanks all for the offerings. I made a spontaneous run to go to an event in Cochise County, AZ this weekend. I cracked a bad-boy I've been working on for three weeks. And I think I'll make MINIAC-1 (GCK5A5) by Team Dodge Podge the big ol #1000 for me. It's a 5/2..but looks more like a 5/3.5 from the difficulty of the roads in that area.

Thanks all for the ideas, though. Especially Pandora's Box. That one looks just downright nasty. :P

Heads up....for those who weren't at the Mission Bay event cache, I've a new puzzle cache in the approval queue. 4/2.5. Hope you all sing my praises for it. :P

--TT--

Hello all-

I'll be making a trip to the S.D. area. I have plenty of caches downloaded from PQ's for the area that I will be in (Old Town) and it occured to me that after I get some caching done I will be very thirsty. I love a good micro brew pub. ;) Would you folks be so kind as give me a few suggestions. :blink:

I will be there from the 26th on to ??

Thanks in advance and I will be on channel 2 FRS

Z

PS we will leave Colorado Tues. am

Edited by zoltig

A classic is O'Briens - It's not too far from Old Town.

O'Briens

[ Beer Bar ]

4646 Convoy St.

San Diego, California, 92111

United States

phone: (858) 715-1745

To have a San Diego micro experience - Have any Stone Brewing Co. product or AleSmith brew. Check out their ratings at www.beeradvocate.com.

Enjoy the trip!

Tycho

Hello all-

I'll be making a trip to the S.D. area. I have plenty of caches downloaded from PQ's for the area that I will be in (Old Town) and it occured to me that after I get some caching done I will be very thirsty. I love a good micro brew pub. :blink: Would you folks be so kind as give me a few suggestions. :blink:

Z

O'Hungry's is in old town across from the church. you can buy beer by the yard...drinking it however requires skill.

O'Hungrys

2547 San Diego Ave., Old Town, San Diego, CA, USA

Phone: 619-298-0133

O'Hungrys is famous for its yard-long beers and sing-alongs. Be sure to drink up quickly, though - this landmark saloon closes at midnight.

how long is your stay...i have a few more days off this week before having to return to work.

Hello all-

I'll be making a trip to the S.D. area. I have plenty of caches downloaded from PQ's for the area that I will be in (Old Town) and it occured to me that after I get some caching done I will be very thirsty. I love a good micro brew pub.  :huh: Would you folks be so kind as give me a few suggestions. :blink:

Z

O'Hungry's is in old town across from the church. you can buy beer by the yard...drinking it however requires skill.

O'Hungrys

2547 San Diego Ave., Old Town, San Diego, CA, USA

Phone: 619-298-0133

O'Hungrys is famous for its yard-long beers and sing-alongs. Be sure to drink up quickly, though - this landmark saloon closes at midnight.

how long is your stay...i have a few more days off this week before having to return to work.

We are just "winging" it, so to speak! Our only obligation is the 26 and 27th. Possibly Sunday as well but that is an if. Everything else will be a bonus.

Last time there I believe we had gone to O'Hungries. That beer by the yard sounds familier. Your right about the having skill to drink it. The beer picks up momentum on the way down :blink:

My personal favorite:

San Diego Brewing Co. They usually have 5-6 of thier own micro brews on tap as well as 10 common beers and about 30 lesser known great beers from around the world. All on Tap.

10450 Friars Rd

San Diego

N32 47.494

W117 05.890

(according to Mapsource)

A little further East in Mission Valley, but they have great food too. It is very possible that I may be there on Saturday night now that I think about it...

Great info gang. Thanks <_<

SD Brewing should be in range as well. I'll download the waypoints.

I found Karl Strauss on the mapsource program.

So with SD Brewing, Karl S, O Hungry's and O Briens, this will be a flavorfull trip

(slurp) :unsure:

I'll try to meet anybody I can but I don't know my time table. Other people may dictate my moves ( you know how that family thing is! :ph34r: )

-FRS channel 2 -

Thanks to everybody for their responses and if there are any more, I am open.

Hope to see you and I am looking forward to caching in San Diego.

Z

Sheesh! This one's so tough, I can't even find the cache page! :lol:

All you puzzle junkies, I'm sorry for the delay. But I had some questions on my new one when I beta-tested it, and as a result had to re-format and re-design the grpahics using a different program. That was a little tedious. Anyhoo, it's all set to go, so all I need to is to place the cache itself tomorrow, and get admin to approve. Should be live Sat or Sunday I think.

If you're having withdrawls from my puzzles, you might want to try some of Mary Magdalene's Negro Baby's puzzles. They are quite fun too. And I hear the little rumour that FlagMan's got one in the works too. That's on the QT though. :unsure:

--TT--

I'd like to throw open to the SD community the straw poll as to which cache I should do for my 1000th.  I was hopeful that "Off to see a Wizard" would've been re-activated for #1000, but it looks like that's not gonna happen by this weekend.  --TT--

ARgh - if I'd seen this....I might have been able to carve out the time to get this thing back in action. Every weekend it's the same lately - 'I'm gonna get the Wizard out' - and then something comes up. <shrug>

I suspect the Wizard won't stop ya for any length of time, TT.

-Earl