The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

:ph34r::( Hey where's Trailgators?....I miss logging on and seeing all his forum posts.... jodi

I'm still here Jodi! I've just been really busy! The youngest of my young-ins got his driver's permit so I have been showing him the ropes. We have also been running him from hockey practice to volleyball practice to hockey games and volleyball tournaments. Aside from all that I am trying to get my Xmas shopping done, get the tree up the outside lights up. On top of that we had to get all three cars in for an oil change, two for a smog check, one for brakes and one for a blown tire this past month. Plus I was up in San Juan Capristrano this past weekend and the five us ate at a Mexican restaurant....let's just say they should rename the restaurant to "Sam and Ellas!" It got all five of us us really bad, so that put me behind for a few days. Anyhow, I can't wait until I'm all caught up! :(
:(:(:( Stop!! You're making me tired just listening. I wish some of that honey-do motivation would wear off on John!! I'm fixin' to call Jim the Handyman as referred by the Jamul Hardware Store. No Xmas lites for us since John is moving right after the New Year and I'm not climbing up that high to take them down!! r/jodi

I'm still honey-not-done-yet. Where is John moving?
:(:tired: Lovely Fallon NV...I bet he won't keep his one-a-day streak going up there!!!
I guess you'll have to pick up the ball.... :( How long is he there for?

:( 2 years...

OUCH! So when do you want to have a Bon Voyage event?

:ph34r::( Hey where's Trailgators?....I miss logging on and seeing all his forum posts.... jodi

I'm still here Jodi! I've just been really busy! The youngest of my young-ins got his driver's permit so I have been showing him the ropes. We have also been running him from hockey practice to volleyball practice to hockey games and volleyball tournaments. Aside from all that I am trying to get my Xmas shopping done, get the tree up the outside lights up. On top of that we had to get all three cars in for an oil change, two for a smog check, one for brakes and one for a blown tire this past month. Plus I was up in San Juan Capristrano this past weekend and the five us ate at a Mexican restaurant....let's just say they should rename the restaurant to "Sam and Ellas!" It got all five of us us really bad, so that put me behind for a few days. Anyhow, I can't wait until I'm all caught up! :(
:(:(:( Stop!! You're making me tired just listening. I wish some of that honey-do motivation would wear off on John!! I'm fixin' to call Jim the Handyman as referred by the Jamul Hardware Store. No Xmas lites for us since John is moving right after the New Year and I'm not climbing up that high to take them down!! r/jodi

I'm still honey-not-done-yet. Where is John moving?
:(:tired: Lovely Fallon NV...I bet he won't keep his one-a-day streak going up there!!!
I guess you'll have to pick up the ball.... :( How long is he there for?

:( 2 years...

Wow! lovely Fallon, Nevada, spent some quality time there choppering around the combat-training-range mountain tops. Maybe he can rope and break one of those wild mustangs for you to ride. Yeehaw!

Must have a party for the CDR , Fallon isn't that far where he can't at least come home once a month. :tired: Is he going to be with a deployable squadron, Just think of the different countrys he can Cache in. You'll have to get a world map for your profile page. :ph34r:

Must have a party for the CDR , Fallon isn't that far where he can't at least come home once a month. :tired: Is he going to be with a deployable squadron, Just think of the different countrys he can Cache in. You'll have to get a world map for your profile page. :(

:ph34r: You're correct..he'll come home whenever he can. I'll go visit when the snow ain't flyin'. No deploying...he's there just to keep those black boxes fixed so the Top Gun guys can keep flying! No Bon Voyage required...you'll be seeing him at every great event..especially the desert ones.

Must have a party for the CDR , Fallon isn't that far where he can't at least come home once a month. :D Is he going to be with a deployable squadron, Just think of the different countrys he can Cache in. You'll have to get a world map for your profile page. :D

:( You're correct..he'll come home whenever he can. I'll go visit when the snow ain't flyin'. No deploying...he's there just to keep those black boxes fixed so the Top Gun guys can keep flying! No Bon Voyage required...you'll be seeing him at every great event..especially the desert ones.

Ah man! He just started getting my name right too. :D

Must have a party for the CDR , Fallon isn't that far where he can't at least come home once a month. :D Is he going to be with a deployable squadron, Just think of the different countrys he can Cache in. You'll have to get a world map for your profile page. :D
:( You're correct..he'll come home whenever he can. I'll go visit when the snow ain't flyin'. No deploying...he's there just to keep those black boxes fixed so the Top Gun guys can keep flying! No Bon Voyage required...you'll be seeing him at every great event..especially the desert ones.
Ah man! He just started getting my name right too. :D
I remember John saying "Toby or not Toby? That is the question...." :D

I noticed Duncan!'s recent log for Coyote Mountain. The "airstrip" he mentions is actually the remnant of a radio telescope that once graced Clark Dry Lake. The "telescope" was a T-shaped array of conical helical antenna elements, much like the garland or string of lights around a Christmas tree that did not have branches. The telescope was steered to capture signals from different directions by electronically phasing the recieved signals. There was a cinder block building with a control and signal processing center (mini-computers) as well as a small machine shop. Maintenance roads ran along the legs of the array for servicing the elements and interconnecting cabling.

Clark Lake is exceptionally quiet at radio frequencies due to the sheltering of the Santa Rosas to the east and north and the Ysidro range to the west. The facility's main technical problem was flooding of the lake bed, which shorted the coaxial cable running from each antenna element to the control center.

I last visited during its last days in the late 80s, shortly before the University of Maryland closed it down as an economy measure. At the end, the staff was down to two - a physicist/principal investigator and a machinist/technician.

In WWII, this was an aerial target range and you can still find .50 caliber machine guns shells, bullets, clips, and other debris from that period. I can post a photo of the facility taken when it was operating if anyone is interested.

-GD

Duncan! found Coyote Mountain Summit Cache (Traditional Cache) at

12/1/2006

Log Date: 12/1/2006

Hey Now!

Enjoyable little hike up the hill with GoBolts!, Chuy!, SuperDave! and

Map4Nav. Our impetus for climbing up here was for the new Hell cache,

but we were more than happy to stop here for a quick score. Incredible

views of the lake below. Is that an airfield down there? We were

wondering about the regularly spaced dark spots. TNLNSL. Thanks for the

cache!

D!

Edited by Team Gecko
I noticed Duncan!'s recent log for Coyote Mountain. The "airstrip" he mentions is actually the remnant of a radio telescope that once graced Clark Dry Lake. The "telescope" was a T-shaped array of conical helical antenna elements, much like the garland or string of lights around a Christmas tree that did not have branches. The telescope was steered to capture signals from different directions by electronically phasing the recieved signals. There was a cinder block building with a control and signal processing center (mini-computers) as well as a small machine shop. Maintenance roads ran along the legs of the array for servicing the elements and interconnecting cabling.

Clark Lake is exceptionally quiet at radio frequencies due to the sheltering of the Santa Rosas to the east and north and the Ysidro range to the west. The facility's main technical problem was flooding of the lake bed, which shorted the coaxial cable running from each antenna element to the control center.

I last visited during its last days in the late 80s, shortly before the University of Maryland closed it down as an economy measure. At the end, the staff was down to two - a physicist/principal investigator and a machinist/technician.

In WWII, this was an aerial target range and you can still find .50 caliber machine guns shells, bullets, clips, and other debris from that period. I can post a photo of the facility taken when it was operating if anyone is interested.

-GD

12/1/2006

Hey Now!

cache!

D!

Thanks for the info, GD!

Post that pic if it ain't too much trouble.

D!

As promised, here is a photo of the array and a photo of one of their images of the Milky Way.

-GD

Clark Lake Radio Observatory (1980's)

99994c42-85ed-4452-9658-3bcb08a56d2c.jpg

Milky Way as viewed from Clark Lake Radio Observatory

918d59d5-117c-4237-b26d-90f2563c303f.jpg

-GD

12/1/2006

Hey Now!

cache!

D!

Thanks for the info, GD!

D!

As promised, here is a photo of the array and a photo of one of their images of the Milky Way.

-GD

-GD

12/1/2006

Hey Now!

cache!

D!

Thanks for the info, GD!

D!

Recent announcements put our Milky-Way black hole at about a million miles in diameter. Because Andromeda galaxy and our own Milky Way galaxy are rushing toward each other at a million MPH their two black holes will eventually unite. That's when things get really messy, you know, unless something bad happens first. ... like when our sun goes red-giant and eats Earth. Turn out the lights, the party's over ....

Edited by SD Rowdies

-GD

-GD

12/1/2006

Hey Now!

cache!

D!

Thanks for the info, GD!

D!

Recent announcements put our Milky-Way black hole at about a million miles in diameter. Because Andromeda galaxy and our own Milky Way galaxy are rushing toward each other at a million MPH their two black holes will eventually unite. That's when things get really messy, you know, unless something bad happens first. ... like when our sun goes red-giant and eats Earth. Turn out the lights, the party's over ....

You all gonna die :D:blink::D:D:D

That means that someday all of our caches will be sub-nanos... :blink:
:laughing: You all need to go find " Do The Loop" multi by Map4navigation. If I had a favorite list it would be on it. Some of the waypoints are Danoh quality and the area is just awesome....especially the final. R/ jodi
Thanks Jodi! That looks like a good one! The Harbison Canyon area is on my "To-Do List!" This coming weekend is out, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :laughing:

:laughing: You all need to go find " Do The Loop" multi by Map4navigation. If I had a favorite list it would be on it. Some of the waypoints are Danoh quality and the area is just awesome....especially the final. R/ jodi

Maybe it's time that you started a Favorites list... :ph34r::mad:

I am pretty sure there was also a thread dedicated to "Must Do" caches in San Diego..... :laughing:

I see Flagman's Favorite Fishing Hole making that list also....

:ph34r: You all need to go find " Do The Loop" multi by Map4navigation. If I had a favorite list it would be on it. Some of the waypoints are Danoh quality and the area is just awesome....especially the final. R/ jodi

Maybe it's time that you started a Favorites list... :mad::huh:

I am pretty sure there was also a thread dedicated to "Must Do" caches in San Diego..... :laughing:

I see Flagman's Favorite Fishing Hole making that list also....

:laughing: Ok Richard...I'll let you "move" these posts over there..sorry about that !

This just in...

------------------------------

Unite for Diabetes Travel Bugs

Diabetes is a leading cause of blindness, kidney failure, heart attack, stroke and amputation. Despite the shocking statistics, awareness about diabetes and its complications remains pitifully low.

You can bring diabetes out of the shadows and raise awareness of diabetes and its complications through geocaching.

Anyone, anywhere in the world can take part. Complete the online form and we’ll send you a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug free of charge. There are 20,000 Unite for Diabetes Bugs available to the first 20,000 individuals who ask for one.

-------------------------------

Click on the ad in on the GC.com main page for more info...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
This just in...

Diabetes is a leading cause of blindness, kidney failure, heart attack, stroke and amputation. Despite the shocking statistics, awareness about diabetes and its complications remains pitifully low.

You can bring diabetes out of the shadows and raise awareness of diabetes and its complications through geocaching.

Anyone, anywhere in the world can take part. Complete the online form and we'll send you a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug free of charge. There are 20,000 Unite for Diabetes Bugs available to the first 20,000 individuals who ask for one.

Thanks James! I requested mine! :laughing:
This just in...

Anyone, anywhere in the world can take part. Complete the online form and we'll send you a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug free of charge. There are 20,000 Unite for Diabetes Bugs available to the first 20,000 individuals who ask for one.

Thanks James! I requested mine! :ph34r:

I also requested one in honor of my dad who has Diaabetes,so thank you also James. I will post if I get it. :anibad::ph34r:

Edited by Team Fatman

This just in...

Anyone, anywhere in the world can take part. Complete the online form and we’ll send you a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug free of charge. There are 20,000 Unite for Diabetes Bugs available to the first 20,000 individuals who ask for one.

Got mine in the mail today!

:huh: You all need to go find " Do The Loop" multi by Map4navigation. If I had a favorite list it would be on it. Some of the waypoints are Danoh quality and the area is just awesome....especially the final. R/ jodi

Maybe it's time that you started a Favorites list... :cry::huh:

Ahem!!! :cry::wacko:

I put it on my favorites; I forgot about it till Johoadi brought it up.

"Tis' the season..."

Raise your hand if your social calendar is full and prevents you from caching.

:huh: You do have a social life, don't you... :huh:

Caching is my social life... :cry:

less social.. more "Put the lights up dear" and other decorating tasks! :cry:

Oh, you mean things like:

• Hanging your stockings (bunched, of course) from lamp posts
  • Putting tinsel on the decon containers
  • Wrapping ammocans in cammo paper
  • Attending the Annual Christmas Lights GeoWalk

:wacko:

This is the Escondido United for Diabetes travel bug.

Add it to your watchlist, so you can get a picture of it if it makes it to town! There is a new 60CSX given away each quarter for the best pics.

Search the user name Unite for Diabetes to see the list of all 20,000 tags to see find the one headed to your own city.

I got my Unite for Diabetes TB in the mail today. It's trying to get to Yasynuvata, Ukraine. One obstacle that I can see is that the nearest cache to Yasynuvata is 309 miles away. :)

This is the Escondido United for Diabetes travel bug.

Add it to your watchlist, so you can get a picture of it if it makes it to town! There is a new 60CSX given away each quarter for the best pics.

Search the user name Unite for Diabetes to see the list of all 20,000 tags to see find the one headed to your own city.

I got my Unite for Diabetes TB in the mail today. It's trying to get to Yasynuvata, Ukraine. One obstacle that I can see is that the nearest cache to Yasynuvata is 309 miles away. :blink:

I got mine too and it is supposed to get to Xiongyue, China. :)

3a2c061e-8474-4fdf-be1a-de0a18c2b792.jpg

I got my Unite for Diabetes TB in the mail today. It's trying to get to Yasynuvata, Ukraine. One obstacle that I can see is that the nearest cache to Yasynuvata is 309 miles away. :)
I got mine too and it is supposed to get to Xiongyue, China. :)

At least yours has a cache that is only 204 miles away: Moon View :blink:

Lucky me! dancingbw4.gif

Mine is supposed to go to Yogyakarta, Indonesia and I can't figure out how close that is to the nearest cache but I'm only going to move it a couple of miles and then the geocaching community will figure out how to get it there.

I got my Unite for Diabetes TB in the mail today. It's trying to get to Yasynuvata, Ukraine. One obstacle that I can see is that the nearest cache to Yasynuvata is 309 miles away. :surprise:
I got mine too and it is supposed to get to Xiongyue, China. :(

At least yours has a cache that is only 204 miles away: Moon View ;)

Lucky me! dancingbw4.gif

Mine is supposed to go to Yogyakarta, Indonesia and I can't figure out how close that is to the nearest cache but I'm only going to move it a couple of miles and then the geocaching community will figure out how to get it there.

The nearest cache to this one is 26 miles: Andong Cache :)

It's still not found (hidden Aug 12, 2006) so you might ask around and see if any of the local FTF Hounds are interested in going for it. :huh:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
I got my Unite for Diabetes TB in the mail today. It's trying to get to Yasynuvata, Ukraine. One obstacle that I can see is that the nearest cache to Yasynuvata is 309 miles away. :surprise:
I got mine too and it is supposed to get to Xiongyue, China. :(

At least yours has a cache that is only 204 miles away: Moon View :)

Lucky me! dancingbw4.gif

The nearest cache to this one is 26 miles: Andong Cache ;)

It's still not found (hidden Aug 12, 2006) so you might ask around and see if any of the local FTF Hounds are interested in going for it. :huh:

Mine has to go to Nymburk, Czech Republic. Luckily there's a cache near the center of town.

6c23cadb-9651-4949-96f8-7732433f6bae.jpg

If you haven't seen it before. The Senior Sleuths are on Cox Cable (channel 4) with a story about geocaching between now and 8:30pm.

That was cool! :(

The story that was right before it was pretty interesting too. :surprise::huh:

Yes. I liked the story that was one just before it also. Certainly kept my attention. I wouldn't mind doing a little volunteer work for the company.