The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hello All,

RUSCAL went out and checked on the Memorial Multi Cache Series from our Summer Event Picnic and it was all good news. All of the caches in the series survived the fire. The second cache, Not Manny Ideas, was in a plastic container, had fire all around it but still survived. If you haven’t already done so, get out there and find these caches. The final cache is still filled to the brim with good stuff.

I also have a challenge for one of our local cachers. My Lure Me In @ Lake Wohlford cache became submerged when the lake rose by about 10 feet. I believe the cache to still be where I placed it, but it is now about 10 feet from shore. If you are up for a challenge, throw on a mask and see if you can find it (Come on - Slaby Mom, Night Hunter, Parsa, KNIC, Flagman, RUSCAL, Gecko Dad, missmarbles, kawikaturn, Splashman, Bikedog, goejim1). Here are some before and after photos to show exactly where the cache is: Before and After Photos.

Good Luck,

Rocket Man

A few more local geocaching news items:

I checked on my two caches that are up in a fire damaged area between Woods Valley and Lake Wohlford. My Only Zeros @ Wohlford View cache was in a pile of rocks and it survived even though the fire burnt all around the rocks. My Rock House Cache was not as lucky and it was burnt to a crisp. Here is a photo of the cache:

b1b38c85-e327-4521-af55-8ad6a93dcad2.jpg

Go to the cache page links above and look at my logs to see more photos of the fire damage in the area.

I converted my Coolswag @ View Junction cache from a multi to a traditional. I decided to do this since the two waypoint caches are now archived. The actual coordinates are now posted on the cache page, so if you have been putting off doing this one, go for it.

Rocket Man

I also have a challenge for one of our local cachers. My Lure Me In @ Lake Wohlford cache became submerged when the lake rose by about 10 feet. I believe the cache to still be where I placed it, but it is now about 10 feet from shore. If you are up for a challenge, throw on a mask and see if you can find it (Come on - Slaby Mom, Night Hunter, Parsa, KNIC, Flagman, RUSCAL, Gecko Dad, missmarbles, kawikaturn, Splashman, Bikedog, goejim1).

How the heck did that happen? Did we have a flash flood while I was napping? There wasn't that much rain after the fires! :D

Maybe you can get Kevin and Susan to do it. They always like getting wet. ;)

Parsa

A fellow teacher called me over the Thankgiving weekend in regards to ideas for a present to give his 10 year old nephew. He said the boy was really interested in science and they were thinking of maybe a microscope. He mentioned some of the kid's interests and said they were toying with the idea of a metal detector instead. So... guess what I suggested!

He's now getting a Magellan receiver. His parents are learning to use it before Christmas. They're going to waypoint a first "cache" at the grandma's house, and it will be a log book for recording finds (or something like that from what I could tell). I told them they might want to make it outside! The parents will then go out with him to find some local Orange County caches. I told them the OC caches should be fairly easy for the most part (maybe not those Otis Pug ones!).

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

I also have a challenge for one of our local cachers. My Lure Me In @ Lake Wohlford cache became submerged when the lake rose by about 10 feet. I believe the cache to still be where I placed it, but it is now about 10 feet from shore. If you are up for a challenge, throw on a mask and see if you can find it (Come on - Slaby Mom, Night Hunter, Parsa, KNIC, Flagman, RUSCAL, Gecko Dad, missmarbles, kawikaturn, Splashman, Bikedog, goejim1).

Oooohhh, a challenge.

OK,

Do you want the cache retireved, or replaced back underwater. No promises, but I would love to be the next one to grab this, ....

Well, I read the page seconds after typing the above, but before posting this, so now I know what to do...

Wetsuit, mask, snorkle, OK..... Maybe

Hello everyone,

Sorry to barge into the conversation...I was looking for San Diegans to talk to about geocaching and where to get more info on the "get togethers" or whatever kind of organized fun. My wife and I and kids just started the game this weekend and we are hooked. I just got an eTrex legend and grabbed our first 8 this weekend. It seemed we were just behind a few others and I started feeling the "community" and wondered if there was any way to get more involved.

My daughter really likes the lizards that TeamGecko always leaves behind so we've been collecting those.

Well, I hope to become a regular on the forum as well so if anyone has any great advice or wisdom to share that would be swell lol :D

4DeeZ Dad

welcome 4deez!

we are new to this also and are loving it! what part of san diego do you live? we are inland north county (thus PQ) and can now be found most saturday mornings ferreting around the nearby caches....perhaps we'll run into each other.

i have no wisdom to share but just wanted to say hello!

pqmommycacher

We live in La Mesa. All of our caches so far have been in east county but Im looking to sample some North County action this weekend (I think) Well, hoping we will run into some fellow cachers.

I like how Night Hunter calls non-cachers "muggles" rofl Imma use that one.

4DeeZ Dad

Hello 4DeeZ -

Welcome to San Diego geocaching. Just hang out here and check the posts on area caches and you'll start meeting some of the gang. We had such a great time with the desert caching campout in October that some of us are talking about doing another in January or February. If we're lucky, maybe none of us will have our houses burn down while we're gone this time. As for me, I'm going into serious caching withdrawl as I haven't had the opportunity to do a single cache since the campout. One of these mornings The Wife is gonna wake up to find me gone - at least she'll know what I'm doing! I'd better get out there soon before I start getting nastygrams from the owners of the Travel Bugs that are currently lounging in my swag box.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

A couple of ideas for The4DeeZ:

1) Order your geocoins now from Bobkat92

California GeoCoin Order

Two reasons to do this. One, we need more orders for it all to become a reality. Two, when you go to pick them up from him at a cache event, you will hopefully get a chance to meet some of the local area cachers. I am hoping to.

2) Along with your great sense of adventure, always bring along water.

Welcome to the group and we look forward to finding your first cache. I'm new at this too and just placed mine: TecMyntzCacheWalk :D

The San Diego River Park ranger seems to have struck again. He removed the famous Breeder cache. They seem to take some caches and leave others. I'm not sure what their criteria are. There's not always habitat destruction involved. My Ammunition Sgt. Cox is a case in point.

Parsa

This is bound to be a hot topic...or not.

Today I found another "americablessgod.com" tract in the Clevenger Canyon Cache. I found the other in Part Way Up Boden Canyon. It chronicles that 'we've forgotten about God', a relationship with God, the solution and how to find a church. Nah, it isn't about September 11th, its an attempt to convert non-christians.

Just to be clear, I'm not christian and have no desire to be. I'm offended by attempts to convert me. I don't like to be 'sold' anything. My mini-rant isn't about religion or that I'm offended by this or by that. I do feel that its in bad form to use caches to proselytize, for commercial sales purposes or for political reasons.

BTW, I brought this to the SD thread as I've just seen these tracts in SD caches. Perhaps the cacher that placed them will own up.

Comments?

Who is planning the springtime Borrego event? We aren't going to wait until next fall are we?

really enjoyed that last blair valley trip. there are still a few places out there that i have yet to see. perhaps once again there or maybe up near palm canyon? superstitions? what month is best for all....i'll check and post the weekends

gotta thank parsa for doing one heck of a grand job at organizing the caching adventures at blair valley.

Who is planning the springtime Borrego event?  We aren't going to wait until next fall are we?

Maybe we should find out what part of Anza the spring time event could be held in.

I haven't personally done half the caches that are in the park. So wherever we decide on there will be plenty of caching opportunitites for me. But it would help if we knew where we could be heading so that myself and others will know which caches to leave unfound until the event.

It would also give us time to plan out possible places to put some new caches in anticipation of an event.

Of course this all depends on whether we will have a springtime event. Parsa did such a great job on the last one that the bar has been raised quite high.

Just my two cents,

dhsundance

I just recently upgraded my GPS from a Etrex Summit to a Garmin Map 76S.

Since the data/ power cable is different I now have some extras.

I have a combo Data/ Power cable and a Power Cable. I'm not selling them. Unless you feel the need to give me money. I thought I'd provide them to my San Diego Geocaching friends first and then if there is no one who needs them I can sell it on E-bay.

Maybe I could make a cache called the Etrex Power Cable Cache. Come and get it if you need it.

Dhsundance

A fellow teacher called me over the Thankgiving weekend in regards to ideas for a present to give his 10 year old nephew. He said the boy was really interested in science and they were thinking of maybe a microscope. He mentioned some of the kid's interests and said they were toying with the idea of a metal detector instead. So... guess what I suggested!

He's now getting a Magellan receiver. His parents are learning to use it before Christmas. They're going to waypoint a first "cache" at the grandma's house, and it will be a log book for recording finds (or something like that from what I could tell). I told them they might want to make it outside! The parents will then go out with him to find some local Orange County caches. I told them the OC caches should be fairly easy for the most part (maybe not those Otis Pug ones!).

Parsa

I have always wanted to take my class out to look for some caches on the weekend. Since I teach right next to Penasquitos Canyon I always thought this would be a great place to take them. I've actually never headed deep into the canyon because of this. I've been waiting for the chance to take the class.

But I could just imagine if I did this cache before Christmas how many parents would absolutely hate me. All their kids would be wanting a $100-300 toy.

dhsundance

I will be heading up to Las Vegas on Friday the 19th. If anybody has any Travel Bugs that would like to go along, I will do my best to get them placed.

I already have the "White Lightning San Diego to Utah 3000 Mile Race Bug". I have claimed this as my bug to win the race, so I will not be assisting any of the other racers. BTW, if anybody else wants to put thier claim on one of the other guys, none have moved yet, and I would love to have somebody else to race against. (a challenge, Yes I think so....) Here are links to their pages.

Black Flash

Yellow Express

Blue Blazes

Red Streak---Team Gecko has picked this up, but do they want to claim it as thier racer??????????

White Lightning---Mine, go get your own... :lol:

Anyway, any other bugs want a ride? Let me know

I have always wanted to take my class out to look for some caches on the weekend. Since I teach right next to Penasquitos Canyon I always thought this would be a great place to take them. I've actually never headed deep into the canyon because of this. I've been waiting for the chance to take the class.

But I could just imagine if I did this cache before Christmas how many parents would absolutely hate me. All their kids would be wanting a $100-300 toy.

dhsundance

dhsundance, My kids don't go to your school but to PV. If you would like help or if there is a teacher at our school that you know of who would also like to do an outing, I'd be happy to lend myself and my GPS to the trip. LMK

Merry Christmas!

Calling Rino users. Night Hunter and Mr. Dave and ??? I have time either Saturday or Sunday (12/27 or 12/28) to get together for a few hours to try out our Rinos and maybe find a cache or two. Balboa park has wide open spaces and a few caches in the area. I am open to other ideas. Send me an email and I'll coordinate a get together.

Derbas Property?

Anyone familiar with the Derbas property west of Lake Hodges? I've wondered if that might be an appropriate place for a cache. I gotta wonder with the No Tr... signs BUT its owned by the county now. Very cool site but don't know if I should encourage cachers to visit.

Bikedog knows it so I'd be interested to hear his input.

Edited by Dan-oh
Okay people! It seems to me that my cache Hidden Valley Hide-Away may be too hard to find the first leg. anyone want to give it a try before i change the first leg's container??? It's the hunt that we are after....isn't it?

I would not change a thing! This cache was one of my favorites because it was more difficult than the average cache. The challenge of being the FTF was certainly exciting. I wish we had more caches like this that test the mind and body. I have several that I have been working on, but I won't place them if people don't like the difficult caches.

Okay people!  It seems to me that my cache Hidden Valley Hide-Away may be too hard to find the first leg. anyone want to give it a try before i change the first leg's container??? It's the hunt that we are after....isn't it?
I would not change a thing!  This cache was one of my favorites because it was more difficult than the average cache.  The challenge of being the FTF was certainly exciting.  I wish we had more caches like this that test the mind and body.  I have several that I have been working on, but I won't place them if people don't like the difficult caches.

We are new to caching (still in our first month) but we look forward to doing difficult caches. As a matter of fact we've been planning on trying to find Hidden Canyon Hide-Away this weekend. You may not have as many people visit your cache but I know there are plenty of people who enjoy a challenge. So we hope you do place your difficult caches and look forward to finding them, even if 1/2 of The4DeeZ have to stay with a babysitter so we can go! :unsure:

Edited by The4DeeZ
Okay people! It seems to me that my cache Hidden Valley Hide-Away may be too hard to find the first leg. anyone want to give it a try before i change the first leg's container??? It's the hunt that we are after....isn't it?

We cached this one last night at about 9:30pm. With the clues in place it was not that difficult at all. only took about 1.5 minutes to find at night, in the rain. Please don't change this it is sooooo kewl!!!!! We probably wouldn't have found it without the clue but don't change it it's awesome.

The4DeeZ Dad.

Hello Fellow Cachers!

I'm thinking about hitting the Domelands near Ocotillo sometime in January. I hiked out here about 5 years ago and have always wanted to come back. The area features big sandstone domes with wind-carved caves and an old fossil bed, very deserving of a geocache! If anyone has the coordinates, could you please give them to me? As I said, its been 5 years, but I think I remember how to get there...

My days off are Fri and Sat, but Fridays would be better for me. Here is a link with more info...

http://www.sdreader.com/php/roamshow.php3?id=20000316

If anyone is interested, let me know!

Duscwe! :o

dome001.jpg

that looks like the back side of the wind caves at fish creek (split mountain). ask Gecko Dad. he's hiked a lot of that area and would probably know where the turn off is.

The picture above is from the Coyote Mtns. from a hike I took back in 1998. I've heard that Split Mtn. has similar wind caves, but I've never been there. I'll have a date nailed down soon if anyone is interested in going there...

Duscwe! ;)

Who is planning the springtime Borrego event?  We aren't going to wait until next fall are we?

Nice of you to volunteer! <_<

Anyway... not me! I'm just going along for the ride this time. I vote for the north to northeast side of the park. I still have to do all the caches in the washes, as well as the Sea to Sea ones.

Parsa

Nice of you to volunteer! <_<

Anyway... not me! I'm just going along for the ride this time. I vote for the north to northeast side of the park. I still have to do all the caches in the washes, as well as the Sea to Sea ones.

Parsa

Nice of you to volunteer! :rolleyes:

Parsa

i don't mind attempting to create the list of caches and set up the day trips like parsa did, however i am not skilled enough yet to create the cache page with all the html language to make it look good.

parsa, what do you define as the northeast part of the park?

parsa, what do you define as the northeast part of the park?

Between Borrego Springs and the Salton Sea. So that would include Fonts Point, Calcite Mine area, 17 Palms, etc.

Another area I like a lot is the Mountain Palm Springs and Bow Willow areas along the S-2. This is south of Agua Caliente. There aren't many caches in that area though, except the ones many of us already found on the last campout.

We also need to discuss what we will do with the rangers. I think they know nothing awful happened last time, but we should be in contact with the administration if we are going to make it an event cache. We should also limit the new caches placed in an area, and police ourselves on dumb behavior.

Parsa

Oooohhh, a challenge.

OK,

Do you want the cache retireved, or replaced back underwater. No promises, but I would love to be the next one to grab this, ....

Well, I read the page seconds after typing the above, but before posting this, so now I know what to do...

Wetsuit, mask, snorkle, OK..... Maybe

huhmmm.. I have scuba gear....I can search longer...what do you think Night hunter? wanna make a go of it together?

We also need to discuss what we will do with the rangers. I think they know nothing awful happened last time, but we should be in contact with the administration if we are going to make it an event cache. We should also limit the new caches placed in an area, and police ourselves on dumb behavior.

Parsa

I really found it to be ironic that the Rangers talked with our group. Yet two other groups were having an event that I really see as more questionable. One of those groups was the Truck Rally that was motoring down Arroya Tapiado (and the mud caves) with a a few hundred kids from the Indian Guides walking around. Boy, was that place busy! Probably not the best place for the rally to be driving through. The other questionable group was the band that was going to be playing a party out at Canyon Sin Nombre. Now I could be wrong - maybe they cleaned up all their trash. And maybe the rangers talked to both groups. But somehow I believe that we were the only ones to be warned of our "activity".

Sorry I had to vent.

Dave

I need some help...

You know how annoying it is to find a cache that is so full that you have a hard time getting your trade into it? We'll I'm guilty of stuffing some new trading cards in Dan-oh's WELL ROUNDED cache and now I'm feeling guilty for the unwieldy forcing of my cards on the cache. If you're in Escondido anytime soon could you take one out and restore my peace of mind?

Thanks,

--- yrium ---