The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

That's sad new indeed. He will be missed. Those logs of his, both online and in the the log books, were always good for several laughs. I had his Breeder larva for far too long, but then it turned out to be fortuitous since his cache was taken. I used the larva to start the Viridian Queen breeder. He was patient with me through it all.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

I had no idea that Yrium was so ill.....had some correspondence with him earlier this year and learned that he wasn't up to snuff. But then there was his combined effort with Parsa on "The Viridian Queen"....that gave me the impression he might be feeling better. Yes, his logs are great!

There must be caches that need to be adopted. I know he had one at the SDRP ranger station and I don't know if he was ever able to claim it.

I contacted the Public Works Department in Escondido to see if they have some sort of provisions for memorials in the parks......planting a tree, placing a bench or plaque? They will be sending an e-mail with guidelines. I didn't mention our group, but did suggest the Frances Ryan Park. It isn't officially open yet, but will be in the Fall.

Parsa? Vagabond? Rocketman? Dan-oh? Anyone willing to spearhead an effort for some sort of memorial for Yrium? .....Should be pretty easy to take up some sort of collection at the picnic. (Parsa, I'm burying my hatchet. Yrium's passing is a good reminder of the fact that life is too short to spend ANY time being critical or angry.)

Yrium's obituary was in The North County Times on July 8th. I'm taking the liberty of posting it here.

Charles Simons, 43

ESCONDIDO -- Charles Francis Simons, 43, died Sunday, July 4, 2004, at Palomar Medical Center.

Born May 2, 1961, in Oceanside, he lived in Escondido for 13 years. He was a software engineer for Education Systems.

Mr. Simons is survived by his wife of 13 years, Debbie Simons of Escondido; sons and daughters-in-law Eric and Jennifer Benson and Joey and Stacy Benson, all of Escondido; daughter Kathie Benson of Escondido; and brothers and sister-in-law Patrick and Beth Simons and Richard Simons, all of Oceanside.

Private cremation is planned.

Alhiser-Comer Mortuary is handling arrangements.

I contacted the Public Works Department in Escondido to see if they have some sort of provisions for memorials in the parks......planting a tree, placing a bench or plaque? They will be sending an e-mail with guidelines. I didn't mention our group, but did suggest the Frances Ryan Park. It isn't officially open yet, but will be in the Fall.

Parsa? Vagabond? Rocketman? Dan-oh? Anyone willing to spearhead an effort for some sort of memorial for Yrium? .....Should be pretty easy to take up some sort of collection at the picnic.

Padregirl, Devhead and I were talking about creating a memorial cache for Yrium at the picnic to have someone hide up in escondido. people could bring things that remind them of Yrium or something like that.

perhaps we could have a card to be signed at the picnic and have someone mail/bring it to his family.

I'll work on adopting 'Number One Son' and get it permitted through the SDRP. I just shot off an email to the SRDP ranger and I'll talk to SoCal Admin about adopting the cache. I think keeping several of his caches active will be a great tribute to him.

If someone decides that we/I/they want to plant a memorial tree, I just happen to know a good plant person. :blink:

edit: dang pesky spelling

Edited by Dan-oh

So sorry to hear about Yrium's passing. I'm sorry I didn't ever get to meet him, but his posts are an inspiration to us all!

I think a memorial would be a great thing. If Southern California Geocachers can help in any way, please let me know. Our site should be back up in the next couple of days.

Dan-oh, I'll get back to you about adopting the caches.

I'd like to join all of you in offering my sincere condolences to Yrium's family and friends at his passing. Only met him once, but worked with him via email in creating Halstaff's Yrium's Pals card and wish I could have known him better. If there are plans to establish a memorial cache in his memory, I think it would be appropriate to include a complete set of Yrium's Pals cards in the cache. I have a few around here I could donate.

------------------------------------------------------

Been following the dis(cuss)ion re cache density and I think I have a radical (naturally) idea - actually it's pretty much a reflection of my own approach to caching:

If you don't like 1/1 or seemingly pointless caches...Don't Do Them!

If you feel the need to spend days and miles working with maps, clues, dictionaries, reference books and decoder rings to solve/create arcane puzzle caches...Go For It!

If you prefer mega mile hikes, climbing gear, scuba equipment, S&R personnel on standby, bloodhounds and lugging a week's worth of food and water along to bag caches in places that even God has forgotten about...Have At It!

There is certainly room in this hobby/obsession for all of us - I don't see the point in even entertaining the thought that we should all somehow agree on a single proper philosophy of caching. The way I see it is that whatever fogs your windshield is just hunky dory as long as you're following the quite reasonable rules that have been established.

Personally, I see no point in multi-dozen cache-a-thon expeditions, but don't hold those who do go in for power caching in any less esteem. Likewise, I don't place a cache without giving the location and contents several months of thought and place just as much thought into my travel bugs, but I in no way look down upon those who toss some stuff in a tupperware box and shove it in a little cranny down the street. If that's your thing, more power to you.

Fact is, you can pretty much determine what your target cache is like from its web page and/or its owner's track record. So if you're disappointed with a given cache and you want to blame someone for your unsatisfactory experience, stand in front of the nearest mirror and point.

We live in a cache rich area and I think that's outstanding. There are many, many, many of them I will never visit, but there are many I've already visited that have provided me with the sort of memorable experience which is the reason I cache in the first place. I'm fortunate. If you're in it for the numbers, you are also fortunate. I turned my daughter on to caching last month, but she lives in northwestern Illinois where the nearest cache is twenty miles from her door. How would you like to be in that situation?

'Nuff said. Unlax everybody. Lighten up. We are not all the same, and we can forever thank the Powers that Be for that!

Peace,

Radical Geezer

P.S. Nobody ever answered my question about cache notification. Is it no longer available? Anyone??? Please?????

Howdy Folks -

I'm still here - just been too busy with other stuff to get much caching done lately. Had a question though - I used to receive new cache notifications from someone who had an automated notification system, but it's been many moons since I received them and I've changed computers since then and don't have any record of who had been sending them. Is this still going on and, if so, can someone provide me with the contact to get back on the list? Thanks much - and when are we gonna do another campout?

Peace,

Radical Geezer

I had to look back to find this message. Good thing that search function is.

Are you talking about the Groundspeak email notifications that come out weekly? Thats something you select via your account preferences page. Double check to see if its still selected. Also check your email settings to make sure an email isn't being sent to the spam folder. I know Yahoo mail was sending emails from SoCalGeocachers.com to my spam till I changed it.

If you mean some other notifications then I'm lost too. :o

Happy caching to ya!

Errata

1) I understand Parsa's concern powercaching. *I* prefer thought and effort going into my cache constructtion, and that's hard to do if you're simply trying to place them as close together as possible. HOWEVER - Not everyone plays by the same rules, so to speak. I personally think many of these 'drop-and-run' styles caches will disappear fairly quickly - and I'm willing to wait and see if I'm right. If they're your thing - have a ball.

2) On the other hand, my caches disappear fairly quickly, even with thought and planning. :o

WARNING:

/Soapbox ON

/Asbestos underwear ON

3) Is there some new merchandise within the Geocaching community...they're little shiny GeoCaching Sheriff badges that apparently allow the wearer to believe they can tell other GeoCachers what to do and when?

The first time this occurred, the incident got quite heated and, long story short, I avoided the entire community for a number of months until I cooled down and shook it off. As a similar event just occurred with a whole new person, I'm thinking I missed out on an announcement of some sort.

Where can I get one of these badges? Or is it a mantle I just 'assume' after a certain number of finds, perhaps? (And no - this isn't about Parsa, with whom I've had generally cordial relations from the start).

In a general aside - being polite will carry you a long way when making a request of someone you've never met or even addressed before. Being rude will NOT get your request recognized.

/Soapbox off

- Earl, Ringmaster,

The Adams Family Circus

The way I see it is that whatever fogs your windshield is just hunky dory as long as you're following the quite reasonable rules that have been established.

Fact is, you can pretty much determine what your target cache is like from its web page and/or its owner's track record.  So if you're disappointed with a given cache and you want to blame someone for your unsatisfactory experience, stand in front of the nearest mirror and point.

'Nuff said.  Unlax everybody.  Lighten up.  We are not all the same, and we can forever thank the Powers that Be for that!

I agree with this view. Even though Tucson Thompsen is crimminaly insane and continues to put out brain busting caches, i still have that need to solve them, however, there are a few i choose not to find...like hiking for 10miles in the desert. sometimes you find a cache and have a great experience and other times you just log the find and move on. I remember the great ones.

In a general aside - being polite will carry you a long way when making a request of someone you've never met or even addressed before. Being rude will NOT get your request recognized.

yes!!!

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Dan-Oh -

No, I get the weekly cache notifications just fine, but as my first note said I used to get virtually instantaneous notice of new caches from someone who was providing this as a service - took far more web savvy than I have. But it suddenly stopped some time ago and since I switched computers I lost the contact info. I'm sure several of the San Diego folks were also getting these but I don't know exactly who.

BTW, for anyone who hasn't tackled my Mystery Pools of Potrero Creek yet, I just completely refurbished the cache this week with lots of neat swag and what I hope will be a more secure hidey hole. It's a neat place just ask anyone who has tackled it and survived! :o Check it out!

Peace,

Radical Geezer

I used to get virtually instantaneous notice of new caches from someone who was providing this as a service - took far more web savvy than I have. But it suddenly stopped some time ago and since I switched computers I lost the contact info. I'm sure several of the San Diego folks were also getting these but I don't know exactly who.

Hi Radical,

There was a cacher named Skydiver who ran that site. GC.com cut him off from being able to pull the cache data from their site and he had to shut down his notification service. There is currently nothing like it that I know of.

Dave

3) Is there some new merchandise within the Geocaching community...they're little shiny GeoCaching Sheriff badges that apparently allow the wearer to believe they can tell other GeoCachers what to do and when?

The first time this occurred, the incident got quite heated and, long story short, I avoided the entire community for a number of months until I cooled down and shook it off. As a similar event just occurred with a whole new person, I'm thinking I missed out on an announcement of some sort.

Where can I get one of these badges? Or is it a mantle I just 'assume' after a certain number of finds, perhaps? (And no - this isn't about Parsa, with whom I've had generally cordial relations from the start).

/Soapbox off

- Earl, Ringmaster,

The Adams Family Circus

This is very strange Earl. I have never seen the badges that you are talking about and all of the cachers that I have met in our area are very friendly great people. We certainly don't need some geocaching snobs walking around giving other cachers a hard time.

Has anyone else run into this?

Dave

Hrm. I don't have an official "Groundspeak Geocacher Act Like a Jackhole Badge"

If you're at least halfway serious about the badge question though, I have seen these:

83e84776-7d98-45c5-ab8f-9292f9d36a40.jpg

There was a discussion thread months back about a guy who found a website you could custom order badges from. The website allowed you to use an applet to design your own without ordering it. There were quite a few people on the forums who thought they made neat avatars. No malice is intended by anyone using 'em.

I used it as my avatar for a while, got bored with it, and changed it.

Is there some new merchandise within the Geocaching community...they're little shiny GeoCaching Sheriff badges that apparently allow the wearer to believe they can tell other GeoCachers what to do and when?

Hi Earl,

Okay, we ALL want to know who these people are. I've heard about the volunteer hikers at SDRP. Those volunteers attempt to keep people on the trails, etc. And I think they were talking to anyone who was wandering around with a GPSr..... telling them about the old non-geocaching policy. Don't remember if I talked to someone or saw it in a log. You can be pretty sure that if the SDRP rangers were using post-its and popsicle sticks for signs, they certainly weren't providing the volunteers with cool badges. As far as I know, all the confiscated caches were picked up by the rangers, not any volunteers. You could check with David Hekel (climberx) on that. He had a tough time getting his boss to allow him to make a post to the web page of a confiscated cache.

Next time that happens, grab that badge and run like the wind.

Retha

First off - LOVE the actual badge! That's great!

Second - the badge is more of an attitudinal issue (Radical Geezer was correct - the badge reference was tongue-in-cheek). I seem to have run-ins lately with individual cachers who believe it's their responsibility to 'police' caches and caching, and quite frankly, it raises my blood pressure unnecessarily.

The issue in question is a cache I had which was trashed. I didn't archive it at the time, as we were considering replacing it. Unfortunately, that was <ahem> over a year ago - quite obviously, we forgot about it. Last September was my last blowup with cacher from the High Desert who seemed to believe that bullying other cachers was the correct tactic to address minor issues - and we'd avoiding caching for a number of months.

If the cacher had said 'Hey Circus! I'd like to place a cache near where your old trashed one was, but I can't because you haven't archived it. Could you do that please?" It'd be archived by now. Instead, it's 'hey, you've had a year, that's long enough, archive or replace it'.

Oversensitive? Maybe. *My* mistake in not archiving or replacing by now? Absolutely. Likelihood of my doing anything at this point? Priceless....oops, I mean, slim. ^_^

Third - work progresses on the 'Off to Find a Wizard' cache. The clues have been checked and adjusted, and I'm just looking for a hidey-hole for the cache itself.... 8-)

Earl, Ringmaster (BP 150 over 102 and slowly dropping)

The Adams Family Circus

I agree with this view. Even though Tucson Thompsen is crimminaly insane and continues to put out brain busting caches, i still have that need to solve them, however, there are a few i choose not to find...like hiking for 10miles in the desert. sometimes you find a cache and have a great experience and other times you just log the find and move on. I remember the great ones.

Chipping in for my $0.02,

Dillon Gang I think succinctly and rather adroitly states the majority opinion of us geocachers. Whatever you like, do! As long as you get enjoyment out of the experience...be it hiking caches, urban micros, camouflage tests, leisurely strolls, crypto-puzzles, or sewer exploration...if you enjoy the hunt, the moment of discovery, etc., then this sport has a place for everybody.

Eventually someone will place a power trail here in SD County. I have just accepted this as fact. There is too much open space for it not to occur. Personally, I don't like the idea of a power trail consisting of what back home the local Tucson cacher-crowd has come to call NC's (nuisance caches), that is the "unexciting or uninspired cache hide that pops up on your list", but I'm no elitist either. I will do one of these trails one of these days...just for the experience. But let's please try to make room for everybody in this sport. It's really quite fun, and we should be embracing eveyone who wants to get in on the action.

A good point is brought up by the Adams Family. In regards to disabled caches, how long is too long MIA/not replaced before people should request things to be archived? I have asked for caches to be archived before, but usually for good reason: the cache is destroyed/long gone, the location is dangerous/illegal/built over, the owner is absentee/moved away, etc. I'll usually wait about 6 months after last find before I'll enquire about a cache. But I never ask for a cache to be archived (even if it IS on private property) as long as it is active and has recent finds. But cache owners should, I think, be more cognizant of no finds. Several in a row is a pretty good signal that something is not right with the cache. I do get irked seeing the same old disabled caches on my to find list, knowing that the owner hasn't got round to replacing a container, but I think most cachers tend to be pretty patient before asking Admin to step in. As a question to everyone else out there, what is the communal rule of thumb (or your own) as it were before too long of inactivity is deemed too long.

Man...when those voices in my head get to telling me what to write, they can be pretty long-winded. ^_^

Regards,

(the voices in the "criminally insane" head of) TucsonThompsen

I guess people can be sensitive about their own caches. I've gotten a few private remarks about mine that bothered me a bit for a time. It's very hard to convey feeling in a few lines of a log. Even a few emoticons don't really help that much ^_^B):D:P

There is a point that should be made that I feel is valid. You all have the right to disagree, but I also have a right to an opinion. SoCalAdmin, Hemlock, and the other approvers can only glean a bit from cache descriptions. They can't tell if caches violate rules, are on private property, are excessively dangerous, etc., unless statements are made in the description like "ignore the No Trespassing signs." Besides, as far as I'm aware, we don't have approvers in our county. They don't get down here much. So, who then can monitor the caches? I'd say it's up to everyone to keep an eye out for things. We all wear those badges. If I was undiplomatic, rude, pompous, overbearing, a jackass, or anything else, I sincerely apologize to each and all.

I know that a certain local cache by the Circus was commented on the other day. It could be taken as a little over the top in the way it was done, but I've found the person in question to be a nice guy who has had his own share of overbearing cachers making impositions on his own family's caches.

Once upon a time, I was very tired of the large number of abandoned caches in North County. Some had been down for many, many months with several no finds. Others had comments and the cache owner would never respond. Still others were in very poor condition and the cache owner had not been active in a couple years and had a handful of finds to their name. I wrote to the administration and simply presented the list of caches for their consideration (for possible adoption, archiving, writing to the owners, etc.). They appreciated the help, and some of the caches were indeed archived. I myself replaced a few caches up in Lake Elsinore when the owners would not respond to emails about their missing or damaged caches.

I have been impressed in general with the quality of San Diego caches. Really. Go to some other areas and you'll see what I mean. We have a fairly dense bunch of creative, interesting, fun (and often funny) caches. Sometimes we all place questionable caches. My Disneyland cache is a case in point. When people see fun caches, they place the same. When all new cachers see is mediocrity, they often follow suit.

I don't mind 1/1 caches. Some are in rather nice areas, and at times I only have the time and energy to do easy ones. When it's 90 degrees out and after a long day at work, I'm not going to climb up to find Sea to Sea #1.

The thing is that none of us really knows what a cache will be like until we get there unless we read it in the logs from previous visitors. Conscientous owners state which caches might be dangerous for kids for example, but not all owners do that or even consider children when placing the cache. It doesn't make sense to me to say "if you don't like a cache then don't visit it." Honestly, how do I know until I get there? There are some caches by certain owners that I've heard people are avoiding, and I can't say I blame them. It's their right, as radical geezer said.

Finally, I do think there should be some kind of standard for caches. Not mine to be sure, but some degree of common sense about what makes a decent location that other people might actually want to visit. I think it's up to all of us to try to make things better (in the world as a whole, not just caching). I've visited some awesome, interesting caches that were placed on the spur of the moment, but do any of us want to be restricted to visiting thousands of caches stuck to dumpsters behind the local supermarket? I set standards for my own caches, not for others, but I do expect people to think for just a moment, "would other cachers like this spot, because I'm drawing them here with this placement?"

I just want to end with these other logs of mine that I think the owner may recognize:

"This is a truely idyllic location for being near a major road. This old ranch is really beautiful and is a great location for a cache. I had just read about this area the day before, and thought about the area as having good potential. I'm glad [cache owner] put one here for me to go and find!"

"FTF. This is an A+ location for a cache. The views from up here are spectacular. As you're walking in, you can see the huge earthwork needed to get the I-15 up the mountain to the south. The old US 395 winds up the hill staying to the contours except for a few road cuts. These Conservancy areas are really gold as far as their beauty is concerned."

Parsa (squinting...waiting for the backlash)

Hey TT,

How about passing around some of those drugs you have created in your chemistry lab? Not the ones that make you criminally insane, but the ones that make you smart enought to design/decipher your type of cache. B)

What do you mean they are the same drug??? :P

I'll admit, ^_^ I have requested some caches be archived. Not because I was trying to dictate what others do, but so that they are removed from my radar screen. A perfect example are the caches that were burned last year. Is c2c going to replace theirs? Also, one can always temporarily disable the cache and still "save" the location, right?

The admin will even reactivate totally archived caches if you replace them and let them know what happened. If requests are resonable, they are reasonable too. I'd like to see those sea to sea caches return, too. We lost a lot of good backcountry caches that I never got a chance to visit.

Edited by Parsa

Congratulations to our friend Fattboy for hitting the half-millennium mark! 500 caches, way to go!

Also, I don't think I formally congratulated dhsundance, my often-time caching partner, on reaching 1000. Congrats!!! Have fun in Colorado.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
would other cachers like this spot, because I'm drawing them here with this placement?

TO: God

SUBJECT: Placement Criteria

Hey Big Fella (or Gal), I realize you're pretty busy, but there are a few things that have been bugging me for some time and I just need to get them off my chest.

First off, let me say that I think you do really great work. I mean, as habitable planets go, this is a really neat place and when it comes to critters, you sure do have a great imagination - not to mention a terrific sense of humor. But there are some instances when I just wonder what you could have been thinking.

Take Mount Everest, for example. Awesome! Majestic! I could go on, but I'd run out of superlatives and still not be finished. However...why did you place it clear out in the middle of nowhere like that? I mean, this is the highest point on the whole blessed planet and you put it where, for the most part, only a few yak and the occasional Yeti are going to get the chance to see the great work you've done. Not only that, but you surrounded it with a bunch of other really tall mountains - sort of detracts from the grandeur, don't you think. If it were me, I think I might have dropped it right in the middle of Kansas all by itself. Think of it - easy access from any number of freeways, centrally located in the only country that you really, truly care about (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and set off by miles and miles of nothing but corn fields and prairie dogs. Wow!

Or take the Grand Canyon as another example. Beautiful work, but once again sloppy placement. Nasty heat, nasty cold, nasty creepy crawley critters running all around. Wouldn't, maybe, central Florida have been a better idea? Sure, you would have had a bit of a drainage problem but hey, if anyone could work it out it would be you.

You also seem to have wasted a great majority of the acreage you had available on rather ordinary stuff. Lots of ho-hum forests, not many redwoods. Tons of lackluster mountains, not many volcanoes. Oodles of oceans, very few tropical islands. Get my drift?

For that matter, the solar system itself seems to be in a pretty uninspired location. a mediocre star sporting nine planets, only one of which is liveable (*Big* mistake there, dontcha think?), sitting way out in the boonies of an ordinary looking galaxy - surely you could have given it a bit more thought and provided us with a home base that was more centrally located. Do you realize how long it's going to take us to visit any of our neighbors? And if any of our neighbors ever drop in on us, they're certainly going to be wondering why the heck you brought them all the way out to this location. What were you thinking?

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Maybe next time you could check with me so we can agree to some placement guidelines that could make this whole creation thing a more worthwhile experience for everyone concerned. Meanwhile, keep up the good work.

Yours Truly,

RG ^_^

"Because it is there." - Sir Edmund Hilary

Nice letter.

I don't quite get what it has to do with my quote. Maybe someone else can explain it to me. I wasn't talking about plate tectonics, density waves in the galaxy, or planetary formation. I was simply saying that people should consider that other real live human beings are going to visit their caches, not yetis, yaks, or faceless feelingless golems.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

My point, Parsa, was primarily that I was just having some fun with the idea. Beyond that, the point is that just because I don't get it or you don't get it doesn't mean that someone won't get it. We all have different perceptions of the world of geocaching, just like the rest of the world. The cache that I wouldn't bother with or that you would consider not worth placing might be the single best cache in the world to someone else. Why?

Maybe it was placed right at the spot where someone once met their special someone else.

Maybe they were looking for a cache to introduce a toddler to the sport and this one was eighty feet from their door.

Maybe they had a favorite whatzit as a kid, hadn't seen one for eleventeen years - and found one in this cache.

Maybe...I don't know - and that's the point. One person's trash is another person's treasure. So it is with caching as it is with everything else in life. I was just glad to be able to hit the sack last night, but somewhere, someone experienced a sunset they will never, ever forget. It is simply not possible to know how our actions are going to affect others, and it is not possible to set objective value judgements on caches because value judgements are subjective - and this is a GOOD THING!

I'm glad that no one seems to have taken offense at my post, because I know I can go overboard sometimes, but I'm just trying to get across that we should all ease up on this because there really isn't a solution to a problem when there really isn't a problem in the first place. In the words of a great (in someone's opinion) philosopher:

"Can't we all just get along?"

Peace - and I really mean it -

Radical Geezer

Radical Geezer

Sounds like perhaps we need to have Don Parsa call a meeting. Have dhsundance (his consigliere) get in touch with Don Ruscal, Don Gecko, Don Splashman, and Don Vagabond....all the heads of the five families. :P

Let's put this business behind us. ^_^

Here's my .02

I dislike "throw away" caches. I suppose I detest them. I am not the least bit fulfilled by a magnetic micro under a lamp base in the mall parking lot. I think that's why I got to such effort on my hides and containers. I feel that cachers should know there are alternative and interesting micros that can be set.

Ideally, if you don't like micros, lame caches, puzzles, etc...don't look for them. Its not always that easy. Parsa brings up that you don't know what type of cache it is till you get there. So true. A few times I've been pleasantly surprised, more often un-pleasantly. Why? I think I'm to blame, after a point.

Last weekend I went out after some "fill in" caches that were in my area. Not that they really looked interesting, they were just in my area and I thought I should get them crossed off the list. I've found caches by a particular hider and hadn't been impressed with their hides. I still went after these new caches. Apparently, I was making it about the numbers, or at least about the list.

It was MY fault for going after caches I considered lame. I've gotten smart and I won't go after caches just to have an area covered or to round up a few missing from the list. I'll no longer be concerned about the 1 or 2 caches that pop up in my area that I haven't found. I'll make an effort to seek all the caches a hider has placed that I do like, regardless of the area. I'll also ask cachers I know for recommendations on caches.

Fool me once with a "lame" cache, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Maybe they were looking for a cache to introduce a toddler to the sport and this one was eighty feet from their door.

That defines at least one set of cachers I know, namely US. You don't know the reason some people are playing this game, so let it be. To call one "lame" just because it doesn't suit, is not only unproductive, it's plain old unkind.

I have come to like and even trust the people I have met on here. It's a great bunch, uncommon in such a diverse cross-section of culture/age/etc. Let's keep it that way!

Jeep watchers of SD County,

Found a Yellow Jeep TB in a cache out in Tucson today. I'll be bringing it back to SD on Monday to drop there. Just giving you all a heads up warning. I'll try and place it somewhere fairly central so the stampede for it can be as large as possible. #0068 if you want to put it on the watchlist.

--TT--

My point, Parsa, was primarily that I was just having some fun with the idea. Beyond that, the point is that just because I don't get it or you don't get it doesn't mean that someone won't get it. We all have different perceptions of the world of geocaching, just like the rest of the world. The cache that I wouldn't bother with or that you would consider not worth placing might be the single best cache in the world to someone else. Why?

Maybe it was placed right at the spot where someone once met their special someone else.

Maybe they had a favorite whatzit as a kid, hadn't seen one for eleventeen years - and found one in this cache.

Maybe...I don't know - and that's the point. One person's trash is another person's treasure. So it is with caching as it is with everything else in life. I was just glad to be able to hit the sack last night, but somewhere, someone experienced a sunset they will never, ever forget. It is simply not possible to know how our actions are going to affect others, and it is not possible to set objective value judgements on caches because value judgements are subjective - and this is a GOOD THING!

I'm glad that no one seems to have taken offense at my post, because I know I can go overboard sometimes, but I'm just trying to get across that we should all ease up on this because there really isn't a solution to a problem when there really isn't a problem in the first place. In the words of a great (in someone's opinion) philosopher:

Radical Geezer

Thank you Gezzer! I could'nt have said it any better. My caches have a purpuse, to me, and I hope those that chose to go to them enjoy the journey.

How about them padres, 0 for 2 against LA in the last two days. Ouch! However, Dillon Gang, Padregirl and myself got together today to discuss the picnic. Everyone still has their sites on August 14th. We will have some updates on the event page soon and hopefully a thread running here on the forums. We will be contacting some of you for a little help with a few things.

On a personal note, I found my 200th cache today, never dreamed I would have found this many a year ago. We really do live in a target rich environment.

Thanks to everyone who makes this game fun. :blink:

Yup - got my Jeep TB notification, too. Mebbe I'll FINALLY have my Travels with Charley multi/puzzle cache ready to go by the time it arrives and put it in there...or mebbe I'll be really nasty and hike on up to Tracy's Cache to drop it off in the middle of the Anza-Borrego in mid summer. :blink:

Peace,

Radical Geezer

We got notified today that our Jeep travel bug is on its way also.

WooHoo, Finally!!!

I think we'll create a new cache to place it in, I only hope we can find a worthy enough spot for everyone!

My two cents: To Each His Own !

Hey, where are all of the picnic sign-er-uppers?

Splashette

mr mailman brought mine to me today! :blink: yeaaaaaaaaaaa.. Jeep TB # 4024

although i had to look that up online since it doesnt say that anywhere on the tag or jeep, just has a 6 letter combo as the tracking number. anyways will move it along after we spend some quality time together. :blink: