The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Caught up on 6 months of messages, and they've fanned caching flames again.

Parsa, as you have RPG experience, are you purposefully mimic'ing MYST?  <_<

A general question:

As there's so much interest in puzzle caches, and I've an itch again not to let Off to Find a Wizard die a sooty death.....

....would it be worthwhile to resurrect the cache even without the suitcase-sized ammo box?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...71-240888b7ba7e

-Earl, Ringmaster,

The Adams Family Circus

Go for it Earl. Show these guys the granddaddy of all puzzle caches! RM

Edit: As the folks would say in the Abject Silliness thread, NORM.

Edited by Rocket Man
As there's so much interest in puzzle caches, and I've an itch again not to let Off to Find a Wizard die a sooty death.....

....would it be worthwhile to resurrect the cache even without the suitcase-sized ammo box?

Speaking from one that never had a shot at it, please restore it. It sounds as if the container size was unique but even if it ended with a micro or log only, that would be great. I think that one of the way points may be occupied by another but that's rarely an issue. After Parsa talked it up, I looked into the cache.

Sounds very cool.

A general question:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...71-240888b7ba7e

-Earl, Ringmaster,

The Adams Family Circus

Absolutely! As much as I like the paperweight I got out of the mondo ammo can, it was really the puzzle that made that one of our favorite caches. I know at least one of your waypoints is gone (Wizards of the Coast closed), but I recall mentioning another establishment neaby that fit the theme <_<. We still pass things (last weekend it was "Antiem St." Auntie Em! Get it? har har, yeah) that remind us of this cache ("Hey, have we been around here before?" "Yeah, this is where we saw the burritos, for Off to Find A Wizard!"). And the logs of all the weary hunters who finally figured out where the Munchkins lived... it's just a fun cache to watch. I'd love to see it resurrected.

ahhh, I am disappointed that he asked for a hint.  I hope you didn't give him one. :tongue:  I mean, gee, that FTF should be duly earned, especially in this case. hehehhehehee

Parsa and I have a sworn blood pact that no hints will be given out. I won't say who's blood would be involved though.

This cache might be a good one to do with a group. There's certainly more glory for a FTF from the 'Lone Wolf Club' but not if the snake takes your sanity. Is it a coincidence that we have a long weekend right after this cache was released?

yeah, you two are sneaky little snakies. not to worry though. the lunatics are running the asylum, I saw them!

namaste

edited to add the following formal proclamation! :blink:

TucsonThompsen is a nice person. He put up with contrariness with a good attitude. I promise to try to act more normal next time we meet. :tongue:

Edited by norbu

He's evil, and there's no two ways about it, but we love him because he makes delicious puzzle caches, quotes Shakespeare, and strikes just the right balance between letting us dangle and giving us gentle nudges in the right direction. Of course, he teases us mercilessly, but it's all worth it in the end.

He's evil, and there's no two ways about it, but we love him because he makes delicious puzzle caches, quotes Shakespeare, and strikes just the right balance between letting us dangle and giving us gentle nudges in the right direction. Of course, he teases us mercilessly, but it's all worth it in the end.

You're only saying that because you were FTF on Spam Haiku ;)

Is it true? Has the Snake of the World revealed his secrets to one upon the search?

Yes, ClimberX has completed the quest for the snake and has emerged with the coveted FTF rights.

You have fared well ClimberX and should revel in the riches you deserve.

Correction: It appears a trio of searchers deserve the riches of the snake.

Well done for ClimberX, TucsonThompsen and Miles678, all equal FTFs.

59b044ca-78f6-4e3b-acca-3f4bc65b182a.jpg

GCJG08

Edited by Dan-oh

What a scary looking bunch! <_<

Yes, we really were there. In the picture our hats had just blown off and we didn't have the time to retrieve them before the photo! :lol:

:lol: We tread on the paths of eternal hell and managed to climb out before we were incinerated. We heard the snake without being charmed by its evil spell and becoming prey ourselves. We dared to enter the abyss and returned to tell about it without being lost in its depths forever.

:lol: After the prize was ours this strange music began to play as the credits started to roll...

Executive Producers...Parsa and Dan-Oh.

With Special Thanks To...Parsa and Dan-Oh for all of the hard work and time they put into creating Snakes and Ladders.

I enjoyed teaming up with climberX and TucsonThompsen for the adventure. I look forward to the opportunity to work with them again in the future.

Miles678

Edited by Miles678
He's evil, and there's no two ways about it, but we love him because he makes delicious puzzle caches, quotes Shakespeare, and strikes just the right balance between letting us dangle and giving us gentle nudges in the right direction.  Of course, he teases us mercilessly, but it's all worth it in the end.

Ditto the EVIL part. As for the rest........... <_<

Hello all,

New to geocaching. Heard about it from my brother in WA state. From there we bought our first GPS and found our first cache while on vacation in April on the Hawaiian Islands B) Since then we have tried to go every weekend. It is hard with two toddlers but they are good kids. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

:P

Sleeplessinsandiego

Hello all,

New to geocaching.  Heard about it from my brother in WA state.  From there we bought our first GPS and found our first cache while on vacation in April on the Hawaiian Islands  :P  Since then we have tried to go every weekend.  It is hard with two toddlers but they are good kids.  Looking forward to meeting everyone.

^_^

Sleepless,

welcome to the sport obsession! There are all sorts of great caches to seek in San Diego. We have park caches, puzzle cache, urban micros, drive up caches, mind bending adventure caches and the list goes on.

The latest hullabaloo going on in posts above is Parsa and my newest adventure cache up in Escondido. Its not so much a family cache but ...wait... kids like pets, sometimes people keep snakes as pets, its a stroll through the park, kids like parks ... uh, er, maybe not. B)

Narrow down your neighborhood an we can suggest some caches to seek that are family and toddler friendly. Also keep an eye on this forum for the next cacher gathering.

Have fun!

Narrow down your neighborhood an we can suggest some caches to seek that are family and toddler friendly. Also keep an eye on this forum for the next cacher gathering

Dan,

Thanks for the welcome. We live in the Spring Valley area. I have noticed that there are not that many caches in the Spring Valley area kid friendly or not. We have been driving to Point Loma to seek caches. We lived out there for a couple of years. We don't mind driving around San Diego to get to caches. I can't wait to go to a gathering. I have been looking at the gatherings in California, but all of them are too far away for us because of our kids.

Sleeplessinsandiego

speaking of gatherings...the 4deez and devhead a while back mentioned getting cachers with families together for an event. the challenge is to find a park area between escondido and spring valley area to meet at. looking for one big enough to create a small cache adventure for the little ones to do, barbeques, picnic tables, bathrooms, and perhaps some play equipment.

anyone have some suggestions? June, July, August?

The Dillon Gang said:

speaking of gatherings...the 4deez and devhead a while back mentioned getting cachers with families together for an event.

Does Presidio park have a play ground? It has several caches already and is close to the coast for a cool breeze. I haven't been there in more than a dozen years so I'm having trouble remembering what's there. I wouldn't be available until June 26/27.

I think the Presidio is a great idea!

I was thinking about planning an event at Mission Bay Park the weekend of June 26-27, but you have to have a permit for groups of 75 or more, does anybody think more than 75 people will come? I love event caches and would be happy to help anyone get one started! (or plan one myself)

-Padregirl :blink:

We would love to go to a family event! A couple of months ago The4Deez and I were talking about planning something for everyone but especially families with small kids but then life got in the way. So count us in. I would even be happy to help plan although I've never been to one before. But just one thing: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE not the 26-27th of June!

I think that Mission Bay would be great. As long as we don't have 75 or more people it would be great. But what happens if we decided to to this and then more then 75 people show up????

Do NOT admit to knowing each other!

Ok, so we obvisously have people who want to get togther. I am going to throw out some ideas, feel free to disregard them. :D

I think as long as we can come up with a place that has shade, bathrooms, playground and parking we will do fine.

I'd like to get a date that serves as many of us as possible. So...perhaps we can all chime in with dates in July & August. I believe at this point we can do weekends July 10 & 17. August 14 & 28. Don't all parents have the summer mapped out yet??? B)

One other site consderation would be Kate Sessions Park in L.J. Also has the canyon for older kids to do greater exploring. Not to mention a great view.

Keep in mind, that if you make this an "official" event with an event page and everything, you will have a lot more than just the cachers with kids show up. I would say that it would be amazing if only 75 people showed up. Remember what happened at Padregirl's "little" pizza party that was "limited" in the number of cachers?

I say we make it a kid/family type event and center the activities around cachers with kids, but still plan on a large event.

I say we make it a kid/family type event and center the activities around cachers with kids, but still plan on a large event.

This is what we were talking about. trying to get the familys with little cachers together.

july 10 or the 17th is okay for my family.

Anyone know of a park in poway off the 15? how bout santee lakes? or there is a park with restrooms, playequipment and close to an area for caching next to the high school on mast blvd. Splashette? Fatboy? Ideas?

Edited by The Dillon Gang

The 10th or 11th of july is fine as is the 18th (the 17th we have a wedding) or pretty much any weekend in August.

As for Poway, there's Southcreek Park, right off of Poway Rd but I'm not sure it can handle a HUGE crowd. There are already a few caches around there, including

TankerTanker which is kinda long but very easy terrain.

There is also Penasquitos Creek Park on Park Village Road in Rancho Penasquitos. There's easy access to the canyon from there. The one drawback is there's only porta-potties.

There are a lot of parks in which we could do it...

The park in the center of Mira Mesa?

There's the park with the trains in Poway.

There's the la Jolla Cove area.

How about the west section of Mission Bay Park? There aren't many caches on that side; mostly on the east side and Fiesta Island.

Parsa

Using this map of Mission Bay Park.

mb_park.jpg

What would people think of the area just north of the Letter A? It is a bit more difficult to get to but the times I have been down there, there has been few people. One cache does exist, Life On The Rocks.

The B location I haven't been to but I believe is relatively newer than the rest of the facilities, might be less crowded? Location C has the huge playground. Location D is really nice area too.

Old Poway Park where the train runs is a small park and doesn't have a playground that I remember, my kids love going there to ride the train. Has lots of hiding places though.

3 post (on this topic) X $.02 a post. I'm up to $.06!

north of A is South Mission and is usually inhabited by gang-type people and not a pleasant place to be on the weekend.

B is a boat launch with a small beach head, there are bathrooms

C. nice and central with bathrooms and play equipment.

D. access to equpiment, bathrooms, beach front, fire pits, parking areas to place simple temporary geocaches for the kids

perhaps its time to replace the cache on the small island across from crown point. need a rock?

De Anza cove might have some play equipment, large area with firepits and bathrooms, shallow beach area for kids to play...4 nearby geocaches and possible places to place an event cache. less areas to create temporary caches for the kids.

my vote would be D first and C second

Edited by The Dillon Gang

If we were to have it at Mission Bay I would vote for B or C. Another place my wife and I thought of was Balboa Park. Plenty of places to hide stuff, but I don't know about BBQ facilities.

As far as dates go I will not be available on the following--July 3rd(Sat), Aug 8th, or Aug 14th. Otherwise we don't have any major plans this summer. :)

SleeplessinSanDiego

I'm going to break the bank and put in another $.02

Looking through the posts, no one has said July 18th is a bad day yet.

I added two new letters to the image, E is De Anza cove and F is the model yacht pond, it has everything but a sandy beach.

Thinking Kids, Kids, Kids, rather than Adults, Adults, .... Access to water/sandy beach will be important. So...areas such as A & F would not be as friendly, you can see the water, but not really play in it.

C, D and E seem to meet our ideas of a sandy beach, playground equip, BBq facilities, bathrooms, parking, hiding areas, semi easy access. E also has one of Parsa's El Camino Bells.

I personally like D and E better and D the best to get away from the freeway noise.

anyone NOT like July 18th?

mb_park.jpg