The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Duscwe was asking:
Duscwe wrote:

Did you happen to notice the Anza Borrego Tour Coin in the cache called The Box? I was hoping to get it back to the desert sometime soon

Bad news, the tour coin was NOT in "The Box". :D There is a note in the log that says Ackmah and Crew took this TB January 10th. There is no log on GC to indicate their visit at all. I'm having rouble finding there user id on GC. Anyone know them?

Hey Duscwe! and devhead,

Ackman did pick up the Anza Borrego Coin in January but did not post it until a few days ago. I am the owner of the coin - he contacted me and asked if he could hang on to it until he comes to Anza-Borrego in April. I told him to hang on to it until then.

So it won't be in the desert in February, but maybe you can find it on your next trip. Nat

B) Happy Geocaching!

Hi folks,

It's been a while since I've last been on and while I'm considering going to the next cache bash, I just realized I had some time off on Monday so I'm feeling ambitious.

I'm thinking about tackling Cajon Mtn. on Monday, 16 February.

I realize it's 14 miles but I am in good condition. I am looking for people willing to go with me on such a trip. This will be an all day trip that will start early and probably return late. Only four caches on the trip (including the Flagman memorial) but they are all good and hard caches to get to.

Any takers?

:D Can I tell you how much fun we had yesterday in Palm Springs!!! What a great bunch of people to laugh and hunt with! Thanks padregirl for your wonderful idea, that worked awesomely!! We are going to have to go and finish up on those caches and fit in a little shopping! Thanks to all of you who participated and made this the best caching day ever! Wow, 21 caches in one day. Fun times, fun people, fun caches! I am a little tired today, but it is worth it!! Thanks again to all of you! Cyndyz

Extreme Geocachign and Hiking, Feb 29th, 2004

Goat Canyon Trestle

Hey Folks, I have always wanted to see the trestle, and have seen lots of pictures of it. I have organized a little outing that is spelled out here:

http://www.gothicsandiego.com/geocaching/index.html

This is specifically for the goat canyon trestle and caches along the way. I have been talking wiht gecko dad and having him help me plan the route to and from the trestle.

It is my understanding that the park rangers feel its OK, to cross the tracks at 90 degree, right angles(redundant(?))... I would thing that in any case, anyone can pass over a track at a right angle and be ok, we do it all the time in the city right? besides, I personally am willing to fight a ticket if one where given to me. It's not like I intned on hiking on the tracks at all...

but I might cross the trestle, if noone was around. I might not.

anyway so if anyone would liek to attend, all are welcome and some of us will be meeting at my house in el cajon, across the street from the court house on ballantyne on sunday morning, the 29th, at around 6am. the exact time will be firmed up, closer to the date. or you can meet us out there at around 8am.

Edited by sddarkman619

oh yea, I went up cowles mtn today and got the geo disk up there, but I don't know where it is in the benchmark pages, I can't seem to find it. I went to the kumeyaay cache page and hit benchmarks nearby, and it doesn't come up. could there not be one?

also ...anyone every hike blue angels peak in the valley of the moon?

oh yea, I went up cowles mtn today and got the geo disk up there, but I don't know where it is in the benchmark pages, I can't seem to find it. I went to the kumeyaay cache page and hit benchmarks nearby, and it doesn't come up. could there not be one?

also ...anyone every hike blue angels peak in the valley of the moon?

You found the 1591 ft NGS disk at the very summit of Cowles Mtn? If so, it should be listed. However, see below.

Here's what I founds at http://www.ngs.noaa.gov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pid Name Lat Lon Elev O o Hv

------ ------------------------------ ---------- ----------- -------- - - --

>DC1471 COWLES 32 48 46.1 / 117 01 54.7 1 X

X = Surface Mark Reported Destroyed

If it's destroyed (unreadable) then it may have been removed from the list.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

Actually it used to be North County Fair, now its Petco Ma.., er, something stupid. And I wondered if it really was gears grinding, not turning. :lol:

Congrats go out to Kawikaturn and Corysmom as the first non-mutants to find the Lassie, get help! cache in Kit Carson Park. Well done! I planned on making this a 3 star cache but its looking harder than that. See if you can complete it.

With the tortured log comments and pleading emails, you are only feeding the sadistic beast growing in me. How can I NOT do another cache after reading that!

<insert evil/maniacial laugh>

:huh: Hi guys!!! I just wanted to thank everyone again who came to the PS cache-a-thon...it was awesome...you guys made it so fun...we are totally going to have to do more!!! I wanted to let everyone know that I made a TB of the event (pscat)and it's goal is to get in the hands of everyone who attended...I think it's kind of cool....so be on the look out for it and try to grab it...

Thanks again...you guys are awesome!!!

21 caches in one day isn't bad...!!!

CONGRATS ON YOUR 1000 Splashes...... :D that's amazing!!!!

Padregirl :lol:

I realize it's 14 miles but I am in good condition. I am looking for people willing to go with me on such a trip. This will be an all day trip that will start early and probably return late. Only four caches on the trip (including the Flagman memorial) but they are all good and hard caches to get to.

I would love to go, I am even considering taking the day off of work to go. We may have to replace a cache or two, the area looks pretty burned up from down here. I think the park opens at 8am.

...However...

According to The San Diego County Parks page, El Capitan Reserve is still closed. Do you know something different? Is the webpage wanting updating?

Night Hunter

I would love to go, I am even considering taking the day off of work to go. We may have to replace a cache or two, the area looks pretty burned up from down here. I think the park opens at 8am.

...However...

According to The San Diego County Parks page, El Capitan Reserve is still closed. Do you know something different? Is the webpage wanting updating?

Night Hunter

Crap. Obviously didn't check there and since they last updated it this week, I have a feeling that El Capitan will be closed for a while. Mission Trails won't open until March or April, so I figure it'll be that long before anywhere else opens up.

Which brings me to my next thought: anyone up for caching Monday? I'd prefer a long hike to urban caching but I'm willing to do just about anything.

QUOTE (allanorn @ Feb 8 2004, 03:49 PM)

Allanorn & Nighthunter-

I'm up for a walk on Monday. Let me know if you come up with alternate plans/route and I'll try to join you. How early were you thinking of getting started?

FYI

I will be doing the California Geocoin distribution site on Sunday Feb. 15th in the Serra Mesa area (aka. just up the hill from Qualcomm Stadium) from about 1 to 3 pm.

I will be giving about 130 away to the five people who ordered them.

I will also make 21 available to to people on a first come first serve basis. More then likely, I am going to limit 3 to each person. Once I get all 1125 geocoins shipped out across the country, I might make another 40 available for sale but at later date.

They will be 3 dollars each (cash only).

Basically I plan to hide a pretty tough cache "Sierra Memories". I won't even post the cache until after Sunday, so anyone who shows up will get preview of a new cache (you can log it once its officially approved). I plan to distribute the Geocoins at the trailhead to this cache. I will also have the cache information sheet to give out.

Also, from 1 to 3 pm, I will put 3 FTF Geocoins coupons in the cache. If you can find it during that time, I will give you a free California Geocoin.

If I get real organized, I might also have some food and drink available. If any one esle want to come bring some to make it a little gathering

Watch this thread on Friday (2/13), I will post the coordinates to where the distribution site will be.

QUOTE (allanorn @ Feb 8 2004, 03:49 PM)

Allanorn & Nighthunter-

I'm up for a walk on Monday. Let me know if you come up with alternate plans/route and I'll try to join you. How early were you thinking of getting started?

Seeing as Cajon Mtn. is closed, we'll have to go somewhere else. Suggestions?

come out to the meetup tonight at the Lining room coffee shop. the geocaching meetup page is here:

http://geo.meetup.com/

I plan on being in attendance as well as a few others, the more the merrier...

Living Room Coffeehouse (Large coffee and slice of any cake only $4.50), 1417 University Ave in Hillcrest, San Diego, CA

on Thursday, February 12 @ 7:00PM

Edited by sddarkman619

Seeing as Cajon Mtn. is closed, we'll have to go somewhere else. Suggestions?

Hmmmm. Any body ever heard of this place called Daley Ranch???????

Seems that it has been mentions SOMEWHERE before B)

:huh:

I am out, I forgot that it was a holiday, and I will have all my kids and it will have to be a full on family day.

Darkman, Same thing for tonight, I had thought it sounds like a great Idea, But every Thrusday is Family night too, At least until Survivor is over. :unsure:

Got my 50th find today. Didn't even realize it until I was looking at my stats tonight. Hey, and the weekend is still young. Nice to have a five day weekend! So, I'm looking forward to geocoin distribution and was hoping to go for a long walk on Monday, what's up with that? Daley ranch or ??? I missed tonights planning meeting. Will someone clue me in if there is a Monday-a-thon?

Will someone clue me in if there is a Monday-a-thon?

I have been planning on attacking 20-30 caches from Scripps Ranch to Mira Mesa to Penesquitos Canyon to the Del Mar Area. quite a bold attempt for me. I think Bobkat92 is planning on joining me this monday. anyone else interested?

Going to do nine tomorrow morning from Mt. Helix down the 125 and west on 94.

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Here is the Information about the San Diego Distribution Site for the California Geocoins:

It will be this Sunday Feb. 15th from 1 to 3 pm.

Coordinates: N 32 47.667 W 117 07.428.

It will be in the "Stadium Market" parking lot. It is just up the hill from Qualcomm Stadium, at the corner of Mission Village Dr. and Shawn Ave.

I also plan to have 21 Geocoins available for sale (3 per person) to anyone who wants them. First come first serve. $3 each.

I also plan to give anyone who shows up a preview of my "Sierra Memories" cache (that won't be officially posted on G.C. until after Sunday. I will hand out cache information sheets at the distribution site. The cache will be pretty tough to find. As a FTF prize for the first 3 people, I will have free California Geocoin coupons (to be redeemed immediately). If I get real organized, we have have a little food & drink at the distribution site.

Anyone is welcome, so pass the word. I hope to see a lot of people there.

I have been planning on attacking 20-30 caches from Scripps Ranch to Mira Mesa to Penesquitos Canyon to the Del Mar Area. quite a bold attempt for me. I think Bobkat92 is planning on joining me this monday. anyone else interested?

Dillon, Will it just be you on Monday or your whole family? We also have 2 small kids and were planning on going out Monday. If your family is going, perhaps we can meet up. If not, maybe we'll run into you along the way.

Have a great day!

Dillon, Will it just be you on Monday or your whole family? We also have 2 small kids and were planning on going out Monday. If your family is going, perhaps we can meet up. If not, maybe we'll run into you along the way.

Have a great day!

Dev Head wants to play in penesquitos canyon with us. making an attempt at this many caches i was not planning on bringing the kids with me. depending on how quick we clear the canyon, i might call the family up to do del mar. i'm always looking for people to go caching with and if they have a family with small kids even better. i have a 6 and a 3 year old (girls). they did 6 caches with me today and we are planning on doing count the palms on mission bay and dev head's tecolote multi cache tomorrow morning. probably about 9am.

Anyone find that gad-durn Sierra Memories cache? Had to leave after about 20-30 minutes of searching with devhead and fishnjack. Met the 4DeeZ and some other folks coming down the trail as I was exiting, have not met so many cachers in such a short period of time! At least I picked up two geocoins!

Duscwe! <_<

Anyone find that gad-durn Sierra Memories cache?  Had to leave after about 20-30 minutes of searching with devhead and fishnjack.  Met the 4DeeZ and some other folks coming down the trail as I was exiting, have not met so many cachers in such a short period of time!  At least I picked up two geocoins! 

Duscwe! <_<

Great to see everyone and meet new people. After a mad dash down the canyon for Sierra Memories......the 4deez returned victorious with the FTF. Pedro and Cyndz and Devhead also returned victorious. Fishnjack made a valiant attempt thorugh a different route and found the cache.

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Thanks Bobkat92 for the opportunity to meet up with some of the fellow cachers today. We decided to head out for your new cache and finally, someone in our group found it!!! We really enjoyed this one. You are good. The great FTF honors proudly goes out to the 4Deez dad. You are the man!!!! Your crown awaits you! Thanks for all the fun today!! Pedroz & Cyndyz <_<

::California Geocoin Academy Awards::

Wow thanks for the kind words. Now that I'm on the podium I would like to take a moment to thank those individuals who made this all possible:

Firstly, thanks goes out to bobkat for the oppotunity and the great honor of holding a true trophy.

Secondly I would like to thank my family without whom none of this would be possible as this is OUR sport not my sport.

Thirdly I would like to thank all the wonderful people I met and hunted with today like Devhead and son, Pedroz and Cyndyz, FishingJack, Ducswe,

Hope to see you all soon!!

I've been trying for a First To Find and finally found my first. Say that five times fast <_< (tongue twista)

What a great way to get one. We are truely humbled to be FTF with such a great group of other cachers in the search with us.

Edited by The4DeeZ

Thanks to Bobkat for the most cruel cache, no just kidding, not. Whoooo! If it weren't for The4Deez I would have had to walk away and I hate to give up. This was a fun day and I enjoyed meeting many fellow cachers. It is neat to learn that so many of us have small kids and enjoy this as a family activity. Here is the river bed scouring crew. <_<

sierra_001.jpg

MUGGLE MADDNESS!!!!!!!!

So here is the scenario. Nscaler and I were sitting around thinking about doing an event, and here is what we came up with.

1) This will be an event cache of sorts, mostly for muggles.

2) To qualify you must have have 10 or less caches to your name, logged (and we will check thanks to modern technology), or bring someone with you who is a true muggle (hence the name).

3) this is not going to be a picnic or potluck, unless anyone wants to organize this part.

4) there will be at least 5 caches to find, and they will be variety of cache types to wet your whistle.

5) while these caches will be all close by they will not be posted until later, you will have to come to the event in order to get the coords for them that day. (and you know who you are, no flashlights required or needed) :(

6) this is intended as an introduction to the sport for muggles, but remember they will count toward your log total.

7) the target date is April 3rd, early enough in the day to accomodate any one going to the Padre game. (beacause we are going to the game)

Here is the link for the cache page GCHPVD

:o

More to follow: any comments?

nscaler & jaxxom :o

Edited by jaxxom

I was just wondering what cache itinerary people had for this weekend... I may possibly be able to make the Anza event, but I noticed that a lot of you have done many of the caches near the campground already.

2004 Anza Borrego Cache-a-thon

As for myself, I've only gone to Fonts Stash O'Goodies in that area. So, I'm up for doing a lot of the easier ones. :( My idea was to do the following caches from the list:

Cache list for event

- East22/Fonts Point area caches (but probably not Beyond Fonts)

- Palo Verde Wash area

- Arroyo Salada area

- Truckhaven caches

That's about 17 caches right there.

Coyote Canyon and Rockhouse Canyon are fun. Rockhouse might be good for a nice night run. In fact the SCCX cache there was placed at night.

I've done the Yaqui Pass caches.

Is anyone thinking of hiking and doing all the Palm Canyon caches over by Borrego Springs?

Now all that remains is permission from SWiMBO.

Parsa

Is anyone thinking of hiking and doing all the Palm Canyon caches over by Borrego Springs?

Parsa

Parsa,

I plan on doing six of the Palm Canyon caches on Friday afternoon. In fact, I've spoken with eporkchop (who is currently out of state) and I am going to reset his Pool at the Oasis cache for him. I hope to get to Palm Canyon around one or two in the afternoon and then get to the campsite before dark. As for Saturday, I'm playing it by ear...

Duscwe! :(

Edited by Duscwe!

Parsa

I plan on doing Palm Canyon after the morning meet up on Saturday. I don't believe I'll be going for the far cache because I will have my kids with me.

If anyone has good idea on kid friendly caches in close proximity to each other I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Gimme some coordinates Duscwe! and we'll try to be there.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

P.S. I'll probably have to raw newbies with me. If they can't keep up we'll feed 'em to the coyotes!

Hey RG,

Rough coordinates for Palm Canyon Trailhead are:

33* 16.220

116* 25.088

Or better yet, as you enter, ask for the Palm Canyon Trailhead, there is a booth there, I think it is four bucks to get in, have not been there in several years...

The first cache on the trail is Just Frogs GCG6VN Hope to see you there!

Duscwe <_<

Or better yet, as you enter, ask for the Palm Canyon Trailhead, there is a booth there, I think it is four bucks to get in, have not been there in several years...

toll_booth.jpg

Tell me that you can't hear Slim Pickens saying "A toll booth? Somebody go back and get a whole shipload 'o dimes!"

One of the strangest things I seen in the desert.