The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

:D Hey all! We have taken a little hiatus from geocaching...(we both work in retail management and the holiday season is not kind on "time"). We can't wait to get back out there, and replace some of our caches in the next few weeks.

I'm so glad some of you have had the chance to complete THE SUPER GEOCACHE and have enjoyed it so much. We have a newbie friend that we are going to send out on the journey to see how he does, and be sure all caches are in order.

Where do I get those geocoins? Have you placed all 300 orders yet?

See you on the trails!

-Three's Company

sorry duplicate post

So Parsa, tell me the tale of Otis Pug...

Otis Pug is a geocacher in Orange County. He had some quite ingenious caches. For some reason he's archived all but one of his caches (well over fifty). He archived most himself and states "Too much politics for a simple game."

Anyway, check out this cache (especially the early logs). So many people had trouble finding it that 20 cachers met to search for it together:

Otis Pug's Favorite Walk

Parsa

Anyone ever have something like this happen?

I (Mrs. pqcacher) was out scouting a spot for a new cache in an area with no other caches for at least a couple of miles. So I come upon this grove of trees with a trail leading down from a busy street. I'm merrily walking along thinking I've found the perfect spot when I hear what sounds like a shot. :D I look and there on the trail ahead of me is a dude in cammo gear with a rifle, shooting at something. Needless to say, I was outta there tout suite! I don't think the guy saw me but I wasn't gonna hang around to find out.

Anything like this ever happen to you while geocaching??

... I look and there on the trail ahead of me is  a dude in cammo gear with a rifle, shooting at something...

Funny that on the national forum, the question is "Should I cache during hunting season?" Hunting (was he really?) just isn't as big a deal here.

I've never come across hunters or sport shooters while caching, biking or hiking. I have heard shots from across the canyon and thats enough to put me on edge. Hunters don't bother me, its the yahoos withs assault rifles and AK's shooting old TVs and the rusted trailer from Jeb's place.

Where did you see the lone gunman?

It was in a grove of trees in the middle of new housing developments off of Carmel Valley Road so I doubt he was hunting, unless it was ants...lol. It may have been perfectly innocent, shooting at cans or whatever but the outfit kinda freaked me out. The thing is, there is a well worn trail there so it must get traffic so what he was doing was dangerous at best.

Anyway, I'm still chuckling about it....I must have made quite a sight high-tailing it outta there!

Are you sure it wasn't a paintball gun? Those guys dress up in camies and fire some pretty real looking guns at each other. When I went to get Campswag (by Rocket Man), there were a bunch of young people running around at the base of the Orosco Truck Trail shooting at each other. They were all decked out like army guys. If you go back and see little colored balls laying around, then that's what it was.

Parsa

I was just looking at numbers for something I'm doing, and this is the rough breakdown. I hope I didn't forget someone from the county. If I did, I'm sure I'll hear from you!

1075 Ruscal

1030 Team Gecko

918 splashman

810 Parsa

680 K-NIC

669 Vagabond

663 p.wood

630 dhsundance

610 Rocky Red

603 SlabyFam

551 mark71mark

538 JB & LF (Jelly Belly and Leap Frog)

536 missmarbles

446 FlagMan

370 pjh

353 kawikaturn

332 Kite & Hawkeye

329 Fattboy

328 Duscwe!

328 geojim1

Wow! Just made the list! Do I get a prize? I would be glad to volunteer my services for planning the next desert cache tour, I have some basic web publishing skills. I told Mrs. Duscwe! that I'm not missing this one, even if she's giving birth that weekend (she's not pregnant, but stranger things have happened).

Should I compile a list of desert caches (ABDSP only)? Again, I vote for the Northern portion of the park, but I will settle for where the majority wants to go.

Duscwe :bad:

I would be glad to volunteer my services for planning the next desert cache tour, I have some basic web publishing skills.

Should I compile a list of desert caches (ABDSP only)? Again, I vote for the Northern portion of the park, but I will settle for where the majority wants to go.

Duscwe :bad:

Duscwe

i'll help you out with compiling caches and creating day trip lists. i don't have enough web page skills to do the great job that Parsa did. But i can copy and paste from the web to a document. i still have the lists from Parsa in a word file. we could include a link to it for those that want to finish some of those. i also have the lists of coordinates of Gecko Dad's caving trip.

what about the caches up around borrego springs and i'v heard there is some canyon and wash caches up there.

I am doing an impromptu cache event this weekend in the Ocotillo Wells area. Just my chance to see my fellow geocachers who show up for my pre-hide. Since I am somewhat stuck out there all this weekend, I thought why not make this into a semi-event. The traditional cache will be hidden real close when I leave Monday.

It is called the "MT. RACES cache almost-event" and the already approved cache designation is GCHGMH. See you there? :lol:

Hey,

Here's a link that will take you to a preliminary list of caches for the Spring Anza-Borrego Desert Cache Tour. Most of the caches I listed are in the State Park, north of Route 78.

A couple of people (including myself) have stated a preference for the northern part of the park, so I started there. I tried to divide them up logically (such as bunches together or down a certain wash/canyon). I'm looking forward to going back to Palm Canyon. Let me know if I missed any. B)

Here's the link again, just in case you missed it:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dswerth/northabdsp.htm

Duscwe! B)

Well, that's a mighty ambitious list. It's good to list them all. We should pick some routes we can drive along and pick up caches. For an event like this you may want to pick caches that can be driven to in a 4WD or that have lower terrain ratings. Of course harder caches can be done nearer to wherever people camp.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

This is sort of a musing, rambling post...

The unfiltered list of caches from my home is about to role over to 2500. That's a 100 mile radius right? Of course the number out of the total I haven't found keeps getting bigger and bigger. There certainly are a lot more caches than when I started. I'm sure it's even more surprising for the people who only saw waypoints with double and triple digits when they started.

I guess it must be easier for new cachers starting out to quickly jump up in numbers, as there are more caches in a given area now. (... I'm sounding like I've been doing this forever, but it's been less than two years!)

I'm approaching a couple milestones. My 2nd caching anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks (2/9), and I'm getting closer to that millennium figure that Ruscal and TeamGecko reached recently (not that I want to count my chickens before they're hatched...). It's getting harder to find nearby caches though. Most of the very nearest are 13 miles away on the tops of mountain peaks. I'll get them eventually too, but those are hard to do late on a weekday winter afternoon. If you San Diego city folks need places to hide caches, the north county still has some open places. Just compare Daley Ranch with the caches in Mission Trails (before the fires) or Penasquitos and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, although I like the Anza cache-a-thons (obviously), I still would like to see some easier social event get-togethers. Instead of picnics that put a burden on the hosts, perhaps we can have some more regular parties like cachers do in other areas. Maybe something less hectic than a rowdy picnic... a pizza place, or a night of coffee and discussion at the Living Room, or something like that.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

Yeah, that's really simple Dave! :unsure:

Hehe, but it sounds fun. When did you have in mind? Remember, Xcursion 49 in on January 24th and 25th to Joshua Tree... Are you going to that? For me that's a three day weekend as well (at least if I get my grading done early).

Parsa

I like Parsa's idea of a simple gathering to meet people. A pizza place is good or even a picnic at local park (read, kid and dog friendly) where people just bring there own stuff and we don't worry about doing much caching (I hope that isn't a sin). I had tried to organize a meet with 2 other Rino users, only to have it fall through when I got the flu over the holidays. I'm still hoping to meet with other rino users, anyone get one for xmas?

Anyhow, have we a date for Borrego? I am planning to visit family there on 2/14 for the three day weekend and thought it would be great if that was when the BIG event was going to happen.

Hey,

Here's a link that will take you to a preliminary list of caches for the Spring Anza-Borrego Desert Cache Tour. Most of the caches I listed are in the State Park, north of Route 78.

A couple of people (including myself) have stated a preference for the northern part of the park, so I started there. I tried to divide them up logically (such as bunches together or down a certain wash/canyon). I'm looking forward to going back to Palm Canyon. Let me know if I missed any. :wub:

Here's the link again, just in case you missed it:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dswerth/northabdsp.htm

Duscwe! :lol:

I just wanted to add fish creek to that list of cache areas.....

I just wanted to add fish creek to that list of cache areas.....

Hey sddarkman619,

Not a bad idea...however, at the moment I'm keeping the list of caches to the north of Route 78, Fish Creek is to the south. If more people are interested in that part of the park, I'll expand the list. There's a lot of cutting and pasting involved. Anyone think that early March might be a good time? Or Maybe March 20th (Vernal Equinox), which lands on a Saturday. Ideas? Suggestions?

Duscwe :lol:

Splashman and I are certainly up for another campout! Just one selfish request, please don't have it on the weekend of March 27, our daughter is getting married and we don't want to have to make a choice!! haha

Why not President's weekend? Most people have at least one extra day off.

Thanks,

Splashette

Hey Splashman & Splashette -

How about talking your daughter into having the wedding out in the AB - that way you wouldn't have to miss anything and I bet it would be a unique experience. Guests could hide their wedding presents all over the park and provide coordinates...you could hold the reception in the Mud Caves...heck, I could even perform the ceremony! And if she's lucky, your daughter may even be able to log a FTF on the groom! :D

Peace,

Radical Geezer

Hey folks,

If you haven't gotten my locationless cache called "The Bells of El Camino Real", there are still a lot of them available. I see them all over. I just posted a list of bells found to date as a GIF file. Note that no bells have been found between San Diego and Oceanside. I know there are some, because I keep seeing them!

There are also a couple of lesser known missions in the county (and roads to those missions) that definitely have bells, but have not been logged.

There's a place in San Diego where there are twenty bells in one place!

The Bells of El Camino Real

Parsa

Hey Geezer,

Thanks for the absolutely amazing wedding plans, however, our kids already call us the "geo-geeks" and a wedding like that would definitely confirm their stand!

However, if it were Splashman and I, that would be absolutely cooler than cool!

And.....let's not talk about the money already invested in this wedding......Sheesh

Splashette

Has anybody else checked out the Ocotillo Poker Run cache?? GCHFFV

We did the first one and it sounds pretty good.

Hey folks,

If you haven't gotten my locationless cache called "The Bells of El Camino Real", there are still a lot of them available[...]

My fingers itch whenever I see yet another bell I can't log! San Diego county is entirely too big.

I saw a black bell the other day. Like the gold bell, it was by a trolley stop. I wonder if there are any other bells at transit stations, and if so, are they all unusual colors?

Yeah, I saw one in Carlsbad, too (a different one). If you see a new cache up there, my log gives a hint to the bell.

I've seen bells in Escondido, Oceanside, Encinitas, Friars Road, and various other places that have not been logged. There should be at least 380 bells in California, so there are plenty to go around.

Parsa

Anza Borrego Spring Event???? Sounds good. But when is it gonna be? :D

Good question. We've had a couple of people suggest Feb 14th, President's weekend (personally, I like to avoid the desert on such weekends, its been busy enough on the weekdays). I like the idea of March 20th, the first day of spring. So far, we have not had a lot of input. I will go with what the majorty wants to do.

We need input! Vote!

Duscwe! :huh:

Anza Borrego Spring Event????  Sounds good. But when is it gonna be? :D

Good question. We've had a couple of people suggest Feb 14th, President's weekend (personally, I like to avoid the desert on such weekends, its been busy enough on the weekdays). I like the idea of March 20th, the first day of spring. So far, we have not had a lot of input. I will go with what the majorty wants to do.

We need input! Vote!

Duscwe! :huh:

The March 20th date would be good for me. RM