The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hehe. I don't think "hot" is the appropriate word for this weekend. We picked this weekend because it was supposed to be cooler, but it was 104 in Borrego Springs yesterday. You may want to take it easy on the hiking or we might have more unscheduled helicopter journeys. icon_wink.gif

If it's too hot, I know I won't be doing any hard hikes in the middle of the day.

Parsa

quote:
Originally posted by SUNHOUSE:

Hello, i am in need of someone to go to a cache of mine, the KATE SEESIONS CACHE (page 2 of area code 92037) and replace the log book, i will not be able to return to it for quite some time.... all it needs is a log book everything else is reportidly in order.

Hi Sunhouse - I can replace the log book over the weekend, if you haven't had any other volunteers....

Dr. B

Hi! I am totally new to this sport, so new, in fact, I haven't even started. I bought a GPS for my hubby for his birthday in 2 weeks and I can't wait for us to get started. We have 2 small kids so we won't be doing any strenuous hiking for a long time, so if anyone has any recommendations for kid-friendly caches, I'd love to hear them. BTW, we live North County inland.

Thanks!

Hiya PQ!

I suspect most of the frequent posters are busy trying to keep cool out in Borrego, so I'll jump in. The Circus also in North County inland, with two small kids (almost 7, almost 2), and it's tough. The youngest (MacKenzie) is just too darn big for a backpack carrier, and too few caches justify breaking out our big tri-wheel stroller. If your's are both under 5, that's a hand-full when caching (not that other people aren't doing it!).

In general, I'd recommend sticking to Terrain's of 1.5 or less. Parsa's caches are usually a good bet. But I'd consider Terrain as the main factor.

Hope that helps a little - and welcome to our group insanity!

Earl, Ringmaster,

The Adams Family Circus

I wanted to post the fact that Cuyamaca Rancho State Park and all the trails in the park are temporarily closed as of Sunday afternoon (10/26). Highway 79 is still open through the park. I'll post another reply when this changes.

"I don't have a career, I have a life." Edward Abbey

[This message was edited by Nat on October 27, 2003 at 12:48 AM.]

When people are loosing lives and homes, I don't think we can care much about caches. They're reporting 24 more possible fire-related deaths.

I can tell you that all the caches in Mission Trails north of Mission Gorge are probably gone.

It seems the fire in Valley Center is burning east as they just evacuated Hellhole Canyon and Paradise Mountain (east and north of Lake Wohlford).

Even more important, two of our friends - Bruce (bunthorne) and Tom (FlagMan) have homes right in the thick of the Scripps Ranch area that has been heavily burned. They and their families are both safe, as they were evacuated early yesterday, but they haven't been able to go back into the area to find out whether their homes have burned or not. May our thoughts be with them.

Gary

FlagMan, here. The worst is reality. Our entire street is gone. Only 1-house is standing. Both Bunthorne and I have lost our homes. Burnt to the ground. Only 5-houses in our whole development are still standing. We will be alright, but it will take quite some time to get anywhere near normal. Thanks to all for your kind thoughts and prayers. Geocachers are the best! C-Ya. FlagMan.

I am speechless. Just got back from Northern California on Sunday night. Went up for my grandfathers funeral. We got back into Rancho Bernardo after dark and we could see the flames from 2 of the fires and the glow from others. We called up everyone we knew that might be evac'd to offer floor space and a roof if needed. I actually had to drive back out around RB and Poway before I felt safe enough to hit the sack.

We had one family member lose a house as well in Valley Center and another evac'd down near the Otay. Still waitning for word on their house. All I can say is that I am glad the all family's are safe!

TomBombadil79

So very sorry to hear about your houses. Were you able to get anything out, or did you not make it back there before the fire hit?

We seem to be in the clear for now. I count my family lucky. The chaparral behind our house is dry as a bone. We all know how brittle the brush is from our geocaching hikes. If the fire had moved west across Daley Ranch and Hidden Meadows, my house and a lot of others could easily have burned. I have friends who were evacuated by the Paradise fire.

If there is anything at all you need, please take us up on our offers of help.

Parsa

Go to A5 of today's U/T and you will find a picture of our street. If you look at the houses on the left side of the picture in about the middle of the page, you will find a house with a dumpster out in front and a car in the driveway. That is our home. Continue down on the same side of the street about 4 homes to the first house on the other side of the fire break and that is Bunthorne's home. We are doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances. We have already rented an apartment in Scripps Ranch with at least 10 of our neighbors so we will be together and have a commuinity atmosphere. My work for the week has been taken care of and we have clothes on our backs, food in our stomachs, and more love and support from family and friends as anyone could ever possible have a right to expect. We meet with the insurance adjuster today and there is already some talk from Fieldstone about a plan for rebuilding. Thank you all for your kind e-mails, phone calls, and offers of help and support. It is all very much appreciated. Of the dozens of offers of places to stay and help of every kind, many of those offers were from Geocachers. You all are the best and we thank you all from the bottom of our hearts! -FlagMan and family.

I want to say again that I am really sorry to hear about the loss of Falgman and Bunthorne's homes. My heart goes out to you guys and your families. I know you guys have had lots of offers for help, but I would also like to add that if there is anything I can do to help out, don't hesitate to ask.

I was also concerned about all of our geocaching friends in Lakeside. I just got off the phone with Splashette and she said that their house is ok but they are without power. I guess the fire did get pretty close though. Splashette said that Team Jelly Belly and Leap Frog were also ok. She had not heard from Fatboy or Rotten Rod. I hope they are ok as well.

Some of the people from my work also lost their homes. My boss lives very close to Flagman and Bunthorne and as of yesterday, he still did not know if his house was ok. The potential good news for him was that his house did not show up on this list.

I hope that these fires end soon and that no one else loses their house.

Rocket Man

My power had been out for almost 36 hours... and the computer network at work has been down. I have not been able to find out what was happening in our geocaching community until just now. The very first message I read was regarding Flagman's and Bunthorne's houses. I am very sorry for both of your losses. I will echo everybody else and say that if there is anything we can do, don't hesitate to call.

The very second e-mail I opened I found appropriate and the sender really had no idea that it was so timely. I thought I would post it here:

quote:
LIFE AND A CAN OF BEER

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a

day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar........and the beer.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front

of him.

When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty

mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the

students if the jar was full.

They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the

jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas

between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was

full.

They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of

course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar

was full.

The students responded with a unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and

poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty

space between the sand.

The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to

recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things--your family, your children, your

health, your friends, your favorite passions--things that if everything

else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The

pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your

car. The sand is everything else--the small stuff.

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room

for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never

have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with

your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to

dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house, and

fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really

matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented.

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that

no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for beer."

My family's thoughts and prayers go out to all who suffered these past few days.

Night Hunter

I, Madam, I made radio!! So I dared!! Am I mad?? AM I????

After coming back from a wonderful weekend in the desert with geocachers, it has be overshadowed by a horrific tragedy of fire. Although we were packed and ready to evac, we didn't have to. Out thoughts and prayers go out to those of us who have suffered the loss of their homes. If you need anything...drop a line and I'll be there.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

!!!!!!WARNING TO ANYBODY GEOCACHING (Searching for caches, Checking on caches, Replacing Caches) IN BURNED OUT AREAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was talking to a CDF Firefighter last night in the Otay Fire area. He was telling me that one of the most dangerous situations in an after fire period is people walking across burned out areas that were previously heavy brush. Sometimes they will find themselves ankle or knee deep in ash, and there could still be smoldering roots, or brush underneath. Even a few weeks after a fire. Temps of up to 1000 degrees F. This could melt the boots right to your feet.

Take extra care when going back into burned out areas. Don't assume the fire is completley out. Don't bushwack just becuase there are no bushes. Stay on the trails and roads. It's not worth the risk, that cache can stay temporarily disabled for awhile longer.

Night Hunter

I, Madam, I made radio!! So I dared!! Am I mad?? AM I????

Bajaja, Mrs, and the Bug would like to extend our thoughts and prayers to FlagMan, Bunthorne, and anybody else who has lost a home in this week's tragedy. It's easy to call everything lost "just possesions", but we know it's much more painful than that.

On a happier note, we enjoyed watching the visit count for the Hungry Fox Cache go from 2 to 20 overnight. At least y'all got a little fun in before reality set in.

quote:
I was talking to a CDF Firefighter last night in the Otay Fire area. He was telling me that one of the most dangerous situations in an after fire period is people walking across burned out areas that were previously heavy brush. Sometimes they will find themselves ankle or knee deep in ash, and there could still be smoldering roots, or brush underneath. Even a few weeks after a fire. Temps of up to 1000 degrees F. This could melt the boots right to your feet.

The folks at Mission Trails have closed the park until Nov. 17th, probably for this very reason. I tried to hike the area today to check on my cache and some others in the area and was turned away by a ranger at the gate. I am anxious to get back there but will have to wait for them to reopen.

Flagman and Bunthorne,

I can't imagine what you are going through. Please know that all of us in the geo-Calif. system (and nationwide I'm sure) are praying for you and your neighbors and families.....jeez...I can't believe the pictures.'

. Just know that a lot of people care. Lots of money and clothes/ stuff drives to help out, I'm sure its just a drop in the bucket.

Take care of each other.

FWIW, our church had a new clothing/school supplies/home supplies drive last night at the Halloween carnival. When I got there right as it started, there were already 2 ROOMS stuffed full of items. While it certainly doesn't begin to replace the precious items lost, it was a blessing just to see how much people care.

BTW, Penasquitos Canyon was untouched and is open....92129 is the zip.

TC!

All of Cuyamaca Rancho State Park is closed to vistors, including the turnouts along highway 79. The rangers are on patrol 24/7 and are citing people going into the park. I would suggest checking on your caches when it reopens. It might not reopen until April. Unfortunately there were not enough firefighters to save the historic headquarters/museum or the old Boy Scout Camp (Hual Cu Cuish). The plan is to rebuild and restore what is left.

"I don't have a career, I have a life." Edward Abbey

This weekend I will be deploying a multi-cache hunt in the Clairemont area. I've been geocaching now for two months and I figure it is time I become a cache owner. I've done a lot of reading about placing, reporting, dos and don'ts. I've researched my waypoints and now just need some free daylight hours to put it all in place. If anyone has any more words of wisdom beyond that in the FAQs and guidelines I'd love to hear it.

Devhead

A multi in Clairemont Mesa? Why, I live in Clairemont Mesa! I could possibly help you with answers. I've only lived in this area (off and on) for 30 (groan) years.

Change of subject: Sorry to hear of your losses in Scripps Ranch. I'm just glad it wasn't worse than it was - not to say it wasn't bad. But there could of been thousands of homes lost and maybe hundreds of lives lost.

And I'm bummed (petty me) because one of my caches got toasted (right off the tracks). I was able to safely check on it. Couldn't find anything to remove.

For those who enjoyed the mud caves on our Anza Borrego adventure and want to do some more exploring and/or want to know more about them, I have created a pdf file with the mud cave article. If you want a copy, just drop me an e-mail and I will send it to you. Make sure you check the box to include your e-mail address so that I can reply and attach the document. It is approximately 1.6 MB. Thanks to Gecko Dad for giving me a copy of the article. RM

This weekend I will be deploying a multi-cache hunt in the Clairemont area. I've been geocaching now for two months and I figure it is time I become a cache owner. I've done a lot of reading about placing, reporting, dos and don'ts. I've researched my waypoints and now just need some free daylight hours to put it all in place. If anyone has any more words of wisdom beyond that in the FAQs and guidelines I'd love to hear it.

watch out for areas of poison oak. many of the canyon areas in clairmont are abundant in poison oak.

on another note. its time to get your order in for the geocoins. saw the first one last night. it looks GREAT! hope to get a picture of it up on the thread soon.

I'm definitely one to watch for poison oak. My first cache attempt was the original location for TecoloteToyBox2!!! Anyhow, this multi-cache hunt will be all on existing trails except for the last few feet, no poison oak there. What's nice is that most of the poison oak is a lovely shade of red right now so it really stands out, make you want to touch it, however, I resist the urge. Deployment is set for tomorrow morning, however, Nscaler tells me it can take a couple of days before it is approved and you all get to see it.

:) Here is a picture of the California Geocoin.

131653_2100.jpg

Looks great, huh?

I've noticed (mostly from the two doses of poison oak, one at tecolote toybox 1 !) that this pesky plant usually only grows near water. You won't find it on top of hills, but in the bottom of the gullies and near the streams.

I'm watching Devhead.

Do the kittens scratch you much while you juggle them? :)

Poison Oak...Cat Scratch Fever, its all the same, right? No, they just tickle a bit. Its getting them to meow when they hit their apex that is the real trick. :)

The geocoin looks great, can't wait for the order to be filled. :)

Hey Dillon Dad, what grade are your students? I'm considering teaching some of the kids in the cub pack how to geocache because my son was able to pick up on real fast. Was wondering how old your group is, how many are there and does everyone get to participate?

Hey Guys (and other types),

I was reading somewheres that one should place (hide) ten caches for every 100 found.  "They" said it was an unwritten rule (can't remember where I read this, so the "they").  Opinions?  Thanks,

Duscwe!

The only "unwritten rule" I'm aware of is that one is encouraged to find 10-15 caches before hiding their first. And even that's debated. I wouldn't want anyone to feel obliged to put out x number of caches; there are quite a lot of caches already in the San Diego area, and while I love to see new and creative ones, number pressure as extreme as one-per-10-found can only result in poor caches. I don't think we could maintain, or frankly even find places for, 32 halfway decent caches, and people like Ruscal would be maintaining 100+!

We've had a sort of vague idea that we 'should' place one cache for every fifty or so found, because that's a bit more manageable and doesn't result in scads of 'because I had to' caches. We're still behind even by our own measure. I certainly think it's good to encourage people to 'give back' to the game, but some people are just better than others at coming up with cache ideas. I'm always wracking my brains and coming up blank. OTOH, without some sort of pressure, one might never find the motivation to get out and hide something already.

Anyway, I think wherever "they" are getting "their" numbers from, it may be a less dense area where such a ratio would make more sense.

Hey Guys (and other types),

I was reading somewheres that one should place (hide) ten caches for every 100 found.  "They" said it was an unwritten rule

Duscwe!

That rule you saw concerning the 1 hide per 10 finds was heavily pushed back when I started geocaching. After people would get 25 or 30 finds if they didn't do a hide there would be snide remarks in logs about "giving back" or "When are you ever going to hide a cache?". Thankfully those times are long gone. That was back when there were only 37 caches within a hundred miles of me!

Nowdays you should only hide a cache if you have a great idea or a novel place or if you feel like it. You shouldn't feel pressured to do it, thats for sure.

--- yrium ---

When I first started this game I thought it was really neat that people spent their time and energy on creating and maintaining caches. I had always hoped I would get the education to do one of my own so I could give back to the game.

My first plans got trumped by InTheWell, a canyon I used to play in when I was kid. However, to find that no caches existed on the canyon in which I currently reside, well, I started learning as much as I could real fast. I am glad I waited until I had done serveral types of caches and felt like I fully understood what I was doing and could commit to maintaining a cache.

There are a lot of caches in San Diego and a lot of experienced cachers. I think well planned caches are going to be more desireable in the future. We should leave a few places open for newcommers, such as myself. :)

Thanks for the feedback, it means a lot to me. I've been sharing folks' comments with the family too, since they helped put this together. I'm not sure where my next cache will be. There are already a bunch near my office, which is prime geocaching grounds. I can't see adding another there. Time to get creative. :)

Hey Dillon Dad, what grade are your students? I'm considering teaching some of the kids in the cub pack how to geocache because my son was able to pick up on real fast. Was wondering how old your group is, how many are there and does everyone get to participate?

i work with 7/8th grade students with emotional disabilities and learning disabilities. (9 of them) taken them 3 times. most seem to enjoy the hunt. half can actually follow the gps. a few just want to run so i give them a hundred foot mark and off they go. they are still learning how to "think" geocaching so they can find it before i do.

i have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and they love it also. the six year old is just starting to understand how to follow the gps. i just tel her watch to see if the numbers get smaller.

That rule you saw concerning the 1 hide per 10 finds was heavily pushed back when I started geocaching. After people would get 25 or 30 finds if they didn't do a hide there would be snide remarks in logs about "giving back" or "When are you ever going to hide a cache?". Thankfully those times are long gone. That was back when there were only 37 caches within a hundred miles of me!

Nowdays you should only hide a cache if you have a great idea or a novel place or if you feel like it. You shouldn't feel pressured to do it, thats for sure.

--- yrium ---

LOL how I remember Yrium's first attempt at a cache, If I remember the name was tecc 76 out in Elfin forest. He had posted a request for a little help after logging a dnf, the date was May 19th 2001. I don't know how many of us answered him, but I'm glad we did.

I also remember some snide remarks to Mark71Mark asking when he was going to place some caches I was just as guilty as Mark but I don't remember any comments to me. Selective memory ?? But shortly after seeing the post to Mark I placed my first,

SALUDE YRIUM

Hi Everyone-

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. In case there are any Garmin Rino users out there who are going to be caching this weekend would you consider meeting to find a cache and use the 'beam your location' feature? I bought the rino a few months ago but have yet to use this feature because I don't know anyone else who has a rino. I'd like to see it work and don't want to wait for the summer pot luck. I'd also like to learn more about the games on it but haven't found the time. :(

Devhead,

I use a Rino 120. I am planning on going out tomorrow (Thursday) for a really quick 2 caches on Lake Poway Trail. I am going to start with Kerens Micro Blue Sky Cache (GCGJGY) and also get Small Cash Cache (GC30B2). It would be nice to get Lake Poway Trail (GC4D3C) as well, but I need to get home and get ready to serve Thanksgiving dinner to our little family of 16, so probally won't. I plan on being in the Blue Sky Ecological Reserve parking lot between 0730 and 0745.

Of course, now that I have put this on the public forum, anybody else that wants to meet there will be welcome. My FRS radio is still set on channel 10 from the desert trip.

This is the only caching that I will probally do this weekend. Let me know what you think, if you can't, maybe we can get together sometime after the holiday.

Cache and be merry