The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Fisnjack confirmed that my "Count on Me" puzzle was still at GZ and in great condition, thanks Jack! I requested that it be re-activated. Here is the link http://coord.info/GC10KFZ if you have not solved/found it yet.

Also, I am in need of six ammo cans. Does anyone have any that I can have or buy? I would hate to use bisons as I hate bisons. ;)

Thanks,

Paul

Team Adelos

Paul, give us a call, we may have some :rolleyes: . Whatever are they for?:huh:

JnJ

Fisnjack confirmed that my "Count on Me" puzzle was still at GZ and in great condition, thanks Jack! I requested that it be re-activated. Here is the link http://coord.info/GC10KFZ if you have not solved/found it yet.

Also, I am in need of six ammo cans. Does anyone have any that I can have or buy? I would hate to use bisons as I hate bisons. ;)

Thanks,

Paul

Team Adelos

Paul, give us a call, we may have some :rolleyes: . Whatever are they for?:huh:

JnJ

Thanks -- I will check in with you on Saturday. Need them for some Bionicles of course.

Greetings,

I have [yet another] question.

What does it mean when you are looking at your statistics, and the number of caches you have found differs from the number of distinct caches you have found? This just came up for me, and I curious.

Thanks!

Robert/Jubeloh

Greetings,

What does it mean when you are looking at your statistics, and the number of caches you have found differs from the number of distinct caches you have found? This just came up for me, and I curious.

Thanks!

Robert/Jubeloh

It probably means you've logged a cache twice...

Greetings,

Thanks!

Robert/Jubeloh

Or perhaps you've been "Finding" your own hides

or have logged some Benchmark finds, or have done

Challenges.

If you have too many finds I'll gladly take 'em

off of your hands. Denice of KWVERS! has already

promised me the KWVERS! finds when they give up

on Geocaching.

Ain't that funny? ... imagine the KWVERS! giving

up on Geocaching. Maybe when our sun goes

red-giant on us.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Greetings,

Thanks!

Robert/Jubeloh

I don't think so. I've not been in this area before...but at the same time I will admit that after a while the caches do begin to blur, and I will admit to getting confused with all the recent Fiesta Island hides. Maybe that's where it is...

Thanks for the answer!

Greetings,

Thanks!

Robert/Jubeloh

I don't think so. I've not been in this area before...but at the same time I will admit that after a while the caches do begin to blur, and I will admit to getting confused with all the recent Fiesta Island hides. Maybe that's where it is...

Thanks for the answer!

Welp...I checked my logs for Fiesta Island, and there it was: two logs for the same cache. I deleted one of them, so once again there is equilibrium in The Force.

Thanks for all your help!

Robert

Greetings,

Thanks!

Robert/Jubeloh

Thanks for the answer!

Welp...I checked my logs for Fiesta Island, and there it was: two logs for the same cache. I deleted one of them, so once again there is equilibrium in The Force.

Robert

I did the same thing last year on Mission Bay. Found a cache years earlier and re-found/logged it when I was out caching with a group. Took me a bit, but I finally found out which one it was and got it fixed.

It's good to have equilibrium... :grin:

Greetings,

Thanks!

Robert/Jubeloh

Thanks for the answer!

Robert

I did the same thing last year on Mission Bay. Found a cache years earlier and re-found/logged it when I was out caching with a group. Took me a bit, but I finally found out which one it was and got it fixed.

There's a program somewhere that will tell you which ones you've double logged. A macro in GSAK, I think. Download the My Finds PQ and load it into its own database in GSAK and then run the macro and it will tell you which ones are double logged...

Greetings,

Thanks!

Robert/Jubeloh

Thanks for the answer!

Robert

There's a program somewhere that will tell you which ones you've double logged. A macro in GSAK, I think. Download the My Finds PQ and load it into its own database in GSAK and then run the macro and it will tell you which ones are double logged...

Here's a useful link: GSAK Columns

Look for the "Find Count" heading.

Edited by SD Rowdies

A little side note: Bon scott and I will be attempting "Totem Pole Terror" GC32JZ3, with a 28 ft. ladder, somewhere around 5:00pm

tomorrow (Tuesday). If anyone would like to meet there, that would be great! I think this one is a stumbling stone for the new MBHOF,

and would probably be a fun day on Fiesta Island to boot! Time is approximate, and may actually be closer to 5:30-6:00pm. If you email

either one of us, we'll hang for awhile to accomodate anyone with time issues. Cool? ~Jim

Greetings,

Thanks!

Robert/Jubeloh

Thanks for the answer!

Robert

Here's a useful link: GSAK Columns

Look for the "Find Count" heading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use mygeocachingprofile.com to find my duplicate log entries and much more.

Received an email from Dillweed asking me to post the

following message.

"We are from Prague and looking for someone in US who wants

to cooperate on hunting with us. So please, if you know

someone (some of your friends or anybody else) who could be

interested in this game, please let [them] contact us.

Many thanks and greatings from Prague.

Happy caching,

Kubickovi

User Profile: http://coord.info/PR3RZEZ"

Edited by SD Rowdies

Anyone attending the Oceanside, CA geoevent (So Long Summer of '11 - GC33XG7 - September 24th) planning an out of state trip in the near future? I have a couple of bugs on hand that want to travel far and wide, visit the 50 states, travel the highways of the US, etc. I'm planning on attending the event and will take the bugs with me to drop off but would prefer to hand them off directly to someone planning a road trip.

Hi all! My son and I just started geocaching last week, and I thought I'd introduce us in this thread.

It looks like SD has a pretty active geocaching community. My son, being 9, REALLY loves the caches with swag. Any recommendations? We live up in Rancho Penesquitos, where the 15 and the 56 intersect.

Thanks all!

Hammerfel

Hi all! My son and I just started geocaching last week, and I thought I'd introduce us in this thread.

It looks like SD has a pretty active geocaching community. My son, being 9, REALLY loves the caches with swag. Any recommendations? We live up in Rancho Penesquitos, where the 15 and the 56 intersect.

Thanks all!

Hammerfel

Yes, San Diego is a hotbed of Geocaching and there's a

horde of Geocachers in our county.

Will you stick to north county Geocaching? What's your

preference ... urban or hiking trails?

Swag in a container is hard to predict because over time

swag is taken rather than traded on average.

There's a swag-cache in Tierrasanta named "Some Like it

Hot," GC23T4C. We keep it stocked with hand-me-downs

from a collection of grandchildren as they grow up. It's

a short and easy walk on improved trail in a neighborhood

open-area with convenient curbside parking.

Keep watch for Geocaching events ... come meet local

Geocachers so that you'll know which of them have gone

over the edge in pursuit of this crazy recreation.

Have fun,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks all!

Hammerfel

Hi Hammerfel! Welcome! Harmon had some good advice. I'd also recommend looking for larger caches. The size of the cache container is indicated at the top of each cache page. Regular sized cache containers are your best bet to find swag. Good luck!

Thanks all!

Hammerfel

Yes, San Diego is a hotbed of Geocaching and there's a

horde of Geocachers in our county.

Will you stick to north county Geocaching? What's your

preference ... urban or hiking trails?

Swag in a container is hard to predict because over time

swag is taken rather than traded on average.

There's a swag-cache in Tierrasanta named "Some Like it

Hot," GC23T4C. We keep it stocked with hand-me-downs

from a collection of grandchildren as they grow up. It's

a short and easy walk on improved trail in a neighborhood

open-area with convenient curbside parking.

Keep watch for Geocaching events ... come meet local

Geocachers so that you'll know which of them have gone

over the edge in pursuit of this crazy recreation.

Have fun,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Welcome Hammerfel! San Diego has some of the BEST cachers anywhere, and I'm sure you and your son are in for good times :)

Not quite sure what Harmon is referring to when he says "over the edge" :rolleyes: but attending events is a great way to not only pick folks brains about local caches, but to meet people who share a liking for adventure. There's a great camping weekend coming up, mid-Novemeber, out at Ocotillo Wells. If you like to off-road (and even if you don't), this is a must-attend event.

9th Annual GeoOcotillo Campout

Hope to see you around soon!

Sue

The Fat Cats

Note to self: Need to check into the This Just In forums...I'm missing Harmon big time!!!

Thanks all!

Hammerfel

Welcome to the game!

For caches with swag, look for Small, Regular and Large sizes of caches. There are quite a few in this area (I live near Mercy Road). Penasquitos Canyon and Miramar Hill are good places to start. There are also quite a few just across the freeway in Poway, too.

Thanks all!

To answer your questions, I would prefer to hike out to some cool caches, but the local urban ones have been more accessible these first 2 weeks for my son and I to visit after I come home from work and we only have an hour to hussle out and log one. :)

We were planning to hike out today, but he had a science project to do, and we couldn't start until 5. :( We got stuck on WP 2 of a multicache (http://coord.info/GC2H39Y) and a possibly muggled traditional cache (http://coord.info/GC2GF4E). Though we did find 2 other great ones, and I got my 10th find, so I'm planning my first cache now. It's going to be fun and findable.

Tomorrow we plan to head to some parks further south and hit the trails. My son is a Cub Scout, and I'm the Pack's Cubmaster, so we're both into hiking and adventure. He's really getting into it. :)

The camping trip sounds cool! Is it kid friendly?

The camping trip sounds cool! Is it kid friendly?

Yes. I'm bringing my girls, 8 and 10. I think your son might like the dessert contest, maybe he can be a judge. Also, FATTBOY is always good for a giggle or two. :laughing:

D!

Feed your son before you go ... Feeding Frenzy!

They clear the table in two minutes flat.

And don't let your son grow up to be FATTBOY!

O yeah, here's the rascal that runs the event ... Skillet.

Just so you know ... watch out for the Queen of Mean

It will be a life-changing experience for your boy.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hey! The 9th Annual Geo Ocotillo Campout is getting close ~ Nov. 11,12.&13 !

We have fun things planned, as well as our chili cookoff, dessert contest, raffle, Poker Run, as well as campfire time and maybe a night off road run. We're thinking of running Frenchy's Wash (turn off of Split Mtn. Road) or doing the Slot Canyon run again.

Shake out yer tents, dust off the RV's, and tune up the Jeeps or your cache-mobiles for a fun weekend in the dez..

We are looking forward to seeing everybody again!

The Splashes & the Geo Ocotillo Campout Crew!

I need some help finding a solution to my dilemma here. On my Clue Series (GC2QF6X) I use webspace by my internet provider for the coordinates on the final, however, beginning on December 2, 2011, they are no longer providing webspace and all webspaces will be deleted.

I either need a spot to place a photo with a specific name that can only be viewed by knowing the specific file name of the photo; or a website address I could place the coods on, again without any way of accessing it without knowing the specific address provided by the Clues within the caches. Any ideas?

Regards,

Winkster (David)

I need some help finding a solution to my dilemma here. On my Clue Series (GC2QF6X) I use webspace by my internet provider for the coordinates on the final, however, beginning on December 2, 2011, they are no longer providing webspace and all webspaces will be deleted.

I either need a spot to place a photo with a specific name that can only be viewed by knowing the specific file name of the photo; or a website address I could place the coods on, again without any way of accessing it without knowing the specific address provided by the Clues within the caches. Any ideas?

Regards,

Winkster (David)

If you have an archived cache-page then upload to that

cache-page and then copy the URL of the image. Of course

the image, if large, will be resized by Groundspeak but

maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Make sure to contact Cox Communications and demand a

price reduction for lost service. I've got the same

problem for all ten of my alloted email-address web

spaces. Send them one of these -

"You are removing web-space service in December. I am a regular user of that service and will suffer losses when you delete my web sites and other important information such as image-editing lessons that are linked to other websites that will be altered by your unexpected and unwanted reduction of services. I expect to be compensated for loss of services that I have been paying for for many years. By what amount do you intend to reduce my monthly bill to compensate for damages to my personal activities? I've submitted this inquiry three time now, it would be considerate of you to respond at least once."

Edited by SD Rowdies

David,

You might want to consider dropbox (www.dropbox.com). They offer 2GB of hosting for free, and you can create links to files you store there to use for image hosting.

Like you, MobileMe is transitioning to iCloud next year, and I'm losing my web hosting services as a result as well. I'm preparing for this change and have moved some of the hikeNcache files to dropbox like this one:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48959673/geocaching/hikeNcache/list.jpg

As you can see, it preserves the path I've set up, and deleting the "list.jpg" part of the URL returns a 404 error. So, I think it would work for your application.

Additionally, dropbox offers apps for iOS and Android devices to access files on the go. It's all very nicely put together.

Good Luck,

Tony

David,

You might want to consider dropbox (www.dropbox.com). They offer 2GB of hosting for free, and you can create links to files you store there to use for image hosting.

Like you, MobileMe is transitioning to iCloud next year, and I'm losing my web hosting services as a result as well. I'm preparing for this change and have moved some of the hikeNcache files to dropbox like this one:

As you can see, it preserves the path I've set up, and deleting the "list.jpg" part of the URL returns a 404 error. So, I think it would work for your application.

Additionally, dropbox offers apps for iOS and Android devices to access files on the go. It's all very nicely put together.

Good Luck,

Tony

That looks like the ticket! So, I created an account and uploaded the picture into the folder. When I view the picture the URL ends with /nameofpic.jpg?w=e694b824. How do I get rid of everything after the jpg? It doesn't work if I just delete the remainder, but your does!

David

Edited by Winkster

David,

Good Luck,

Tony

That looks like the ticket! So, I created an account and uploaded the picture into the folder. When I view the picture the URL ends with /nameofpic.jpg?w=e694b824. How do I get rid of everything after the jpg? It doesn't work if I just delete the remainder, but your does!

David

Hmmmm...so you placed a file in the "public" folder? In the "files" tab, when you are viewing a directory listing, to the right of the file there is a blue down arrow, or I think you can right click on the uploaded file name (either one) and select "create public link". Did you do that? When I do, I get a link like I listed above.

-Tony

David,

Good Luck,

Tony

David

Hmmmm...so you placed a file in the "public" folder? In the "files" tab, when you are viewing a directory listing, to the right of the file there is a blue down arrow, or I think you can right click on the uploaded file name (either one) and select "create public link". Did you do that? When I do, I get a link like I listed above.

-Tony

Thanks Tony!

My error was I placed it in the Photo folder; not the public folder. Works like a charm!

David

Hi SD geocachers,

I am working with several La Mesa committees to set up a geocaching challenge to coincide with La Mesa's centennial next year. We (the City) will be planting caches and discoverable Travel Bugs around the incorporated city and there will be a challenge open to area residents (and maybe East County-ers and beyond if we can get HHSA on board) running from June 2nd to Oktoberfest Sunday.

We will be hosting 2-3 info sessions and are looking for instructors for these. I can personally teach them but am not as savvy with the Smartphone aspect since I use my old Garmin 60 CS. The La Mesa Library has committed to hosting 2 of the events on May 19th and July 21st and there may be an additional one after the Flag Day parade during the community picnic (we will also have a Travel Bug on a parade vehicle for everyone's discovering enjoyment).

If you or someone you know would be willing and able to help present an info session please let me know Email me

Thank you,

--Polly

Is there a link or bookmark list someplace for "best" caches in Southern California? I tried the link I found for the So Cal Geocachers but it was a dead one. I won't be anyplace specific, but plan to roam around while attending a wedding in Newport Beach. Any links would be appreciated. Thank you.

Check out the 12 bookmark lists found on this cache page...

Local Treasure

Is there a link or bookmark list someplace for "best" caches in Southern California? I tried the link I found for the So Cal Geocachers but it was a dead one. I won't be anyplace specific, but plan to roam around while attending a wedding in Newport Beach. Any links would be appreciated. Thank you.

Local Treasure

Thank you

Local Treasure

Thank you

When are you gonna be in San Diego? I am gonna be there the 17th and 18th of December and be free to cache. Mostly gonna be on foot.