The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Can anybody help solve a mystery I'm experiencing with the new beta map? If I look, for example, at the caches around Miramar Lake (by entering zip 92131 in the map's "search" bar), I see some traditional caches displayed as a square with a green box inside, but others are displayed as a circle with a yellow box inside. The former symbol appears on the map's legend, but the latter does not.

It has nothing to do with whether I've found the cache or not; it happens even with "personalization" turned off. At first it seemed that maybe the round/yellow ones were micro and small while the square/green ones were regular-size and larger, but then I found a few that didn't match that pattern.

It also seems to have nothing to do with difficulty/terrain levels, or with the age of the cache.

Oh, and a similar thing happens with puzzle caches. Some are a square with a blue question mark, others are round with a yellow questions mark.

Methinks the orange/yellow icons indicate Premium Member hides.

Oho! I think you're on to something! Thanks!

Oh, and a similar thing happens with puzzle caches. Some are a square with a blue question mark, others are round with a yellow questions mark.

Methinks the orange/yellow icons indicate Premium Member hides.

Oho! I think you're on to something! Thanks!

My guess is that they only appear on the map

for Premium Members that are logged in. An

easy test I should think.

We have a friend cacher (Nevadawolf) visiting and will be doing The Forbidden Forest cache (GCME1Z) tonight I'm thinking about 9 PM. Call John if you are interested in going along. OBTW how do you look at old forums? There used to be one for posts like this. :huh:

OBTW

On the “West and Southwest” Forum page scroll all the way down

and find “Click here to show filter options.” Click there and the

filter-options panel will pop up.

Click the drop-down arrow for “Time Frame:” and choose “Show All.”

Now click the “Remember filters” “Go” button.

Way down the resulting list of threads see “San Diego Cache Events."

Last entry was Apr 10 2011.

If this works then do I get to cancel a DNF?

Harmon

SD Rowdies

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Do any of you agree: Every Turnout Needs a Cache? Can you say ETNAC? Yup..it's an ET series brought to you by Jahoadi and John. Ok....it's a wanna be ET series placed by JnJ.

Ok.....Here's the scoop: On or about Saturday May 14th at 9-10 ish pm...or whenever the VOLUNTEER approvers are available 100(+) Jahoadi and John caches will be published. They are all at SAFE turnouts along an East County Road. They are not all the same. They are micro, small, medium and large. They are bisons, lock-n-lock and ammo cans ( and of course bird houses silly....Jodi did have her way). They are everything we could think of to make a cache container out of. They can't be picked up and carried to the next stop.

Safety is most important.....there is plenty of room to pull off. Don't cross traffic.....caches are east bound and west bound.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Do any of you agree: Every Turnout Needs a Cache? Can you say ETNAC? Yup..it's an ET series brought to you by Jahoadi and John. Ok....it's a wanna be ET series placed by JnJ.

Ok.....Here's the scoop: On or about Saturday May 14th at 9-10 ish pm...or whenever the VOLUNTEER approvers are available 100(+) Jahoadi and John caches will be published. They are all at SAFE turnouts along an East County Road. They are not all the same. They are micro, small, medium and large. They are bisons, lock-n-lock and ammo cans ( and of course bird houses silly....Jodi did have her way). They are everything we could think of to make a cache container out of. They can't be picked up and carried to the next stop.

Safety is most important.....there is plenty of room to pull off. Don't cross traffic.....caches are east bound and west bound.

OMG! this means that Jahoadi and John will

be out of cache containers after May 14th.

dry.gifDo I need to re-post that picture of my wheel barrow Harmon? We never run out of cache containers.....I haven't forgotten that I need to whip you into shape again...

dry.gifDo I need to re-post that picture of my wheel barrow Harmon? We never run out of cache containers.....I haven't forgotten that I need to whip you into shape again...

OH NOOOO! I can just imagine what Harmon's next photo is going to look like by Jodi's last comment!

Wow!! VERY cool!! Looking forward to it! :grin: Thanks for all your hard work and effort!!

OH NOOOO! I can just imagine what Harmon's next photo is going to look like by Jodi's last comment!

Whipped into shape!

Whipped into shape!

I love that picture of you in the wheelbarrow! :laughing:

Whipped into shape!

Why Nancy, you are as the May flowers to me. Bless you

my child. Coming back to the image just now I realize

that I failed to feature my jaunty bag-hat and donut

glasses. Ah well, who's perfect after all?

I suppose the 'barrow shot will haunt me as time goes on.

I've come to realize that a few local Geocaching rascals,

not to name any names, often preserve my Photoshop work

as a sort of social artillery for later deployment against me.

By the way, I've been given to understand that you have

taken on a regular task of seeing after Janie while out

and about in quest of Geocaching finds. Best of luck in

that endeavor ... youth should work in your favor as that

ol' gal's a handful while out along the trails.

Here's a tip in that regard, be especially careful about

the sort of hiking boot you wear when looking after

Splashette as she can be a bit harpy about boots that don't

measure up to her firm expectations. In my own case I had

to retire a perfectly fit pair of boots that she addressed

as "clodhoppers" each and every time she saw them. That's

why I took of the practice of hiking to the rear of march

so's she couldn't appraise my every footfall so sharply.

Those boots seemed fine to me if only they had been a pair,

which they weren't.

(Can y' tell that I've been Kindeling Dickens of late?)

Your pal,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Whipped into shape!

which they weren't.

Your pal,

Harmon

Do we get to see a picture of the "clodhoppers?" :anibad:

Whipped into shape!

why I took up the practice of hiking to the rear of march

which they weren't.

Your pal,

Harmon

Just what I was afraid of ...

e8ea6cb6-72f1-4a98-b2ce-a778aee60f85.jpg

Janie is rubbin' off on you!

Note to Self: Those fixed-income boots were fine until ol' Jodi started "whippin' me into shape."

Edited by SD Rowdies

which they weren't.

You are really asking for it there Harmon00020473.gif

Just wanted to let everyone know that Canadian Grl and I will be heading up the Palomar Divide Truck Trail on Sunday, May 22nd. If anyone would like to join us, let us know! More details to follow...

Robyn of Team Reid :D

That was on my list for sometime soon now that it's getting too hot to play in the desert, so count me in.

Moonboat

Just wanted to remind everyone that might be interested in the Palomar Divide Truck Trail that we'll be heading up that way next Sunday (May 22nd). Exact details to follow...

Robyn

which they weren't.

clod·hop·per (kldhpr)

n.

1. A clumsy person.

2. A big heavy shoe.

I had to look this word up because my dad used to jokingly call my sister a clodhopper when she did a cartwheel. :anibad: I would have to say your shoes qualify, as well. :laughing:

why I took to the practice of hiking to the rear of march

which they weren't.

clod·hop·per (kldhpr)

n.

1. A clumsy person.

2. A big heavy shoe.

I had to look this word up because my dad used to jokingly call my sister a clodhopper when she did a cartwheel. :anibad: I would have to say your shoes qualify, as well. :laughing:

I'm guilty on both points of that definition. Truth is

that those sad old boots were retired to garden duty

and now I clodhop in a pair of the fanciest boots that

Adventure 16 had to offer. Bootwise the result is much

the same, that anything over eight miles of uphill and

down makes my feet hurt. Also I should mention that

the fancy new boots didn't boost my popularity as

hoped.

The lugged soles of the pricey boots hold better on

slippery downhills and the uppers fend off water during

stream crossings much better. Drawback is that they are

heavier and larger with the result that I stub a toe

against embedded trail-stones now and then and so take

more falls. Yes, I know, could be old age that brings

me down now and then, partly due to the limited range

of my once-broken ankle.

3d68d6c4-4c30-45c0-9397-95ccf30b3237.jpg

Old age, the phase of life that you can't grow out of

and can't look back on.

Life is good,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

So, who's all going out for FTFs tonight?

Whipped into shape!

why I took up the practice of hiking to the rear of march

which they weren't.

Your pal,

Harmon

Just what I was afraid of ...

e8ea6cb6-72f1-4a98-b2ce-a778aee60f85.jpg

Janie is rubbin' off on you!

Note to Self: Those fixed-income boots were fine until ol' Jodi started "whippin' me into shape."

Wait a minute ...

e760e864-b9d3-4591-9f4a-a1b6e39b693f.jpg

I think I found th' problem!

I had a very uncommon start in life ... I was separated from

my mother at birth. Problem was that my left foot came out

after my right foot, y' see, so my right foot is somewhat

older than my left foot with lifelong consequences.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Problem was that my left foot came out

after my right foot, y' see,

I've been having trouble parsing this sentence. There's an ambiguity caused by not knowing what the foot came out of. But based on the number of times that Harmon has had one foot or the other (and sometimes both) in his mouth, I must assume that this is what he meant...

Touché la pussycat.

Just wanted to let anyone who is interested in the Palomar Divide Truck Trail on Sunday, May 22nd know that we will be meeting at White Matter (GCQ1AF) @ 7:00a.m. We need an early start because there are a ton of caches to be found! Please let me know if you are interested in meeting with us.

Robyn of Team Reid :D

Hey San Diego Cachers !!!

I've got 4-5 ammo cans (need a bit of care) and a bunch of other caching containers that I need to find a home.

Email me !!!

Cheers! Jeff

I got them! What a score!

Hurray! ... Jodi didn't get 'em. I'm saved again.

dry.gifNot so fast Harmon. My box of 450 bisons straight from Hong Kong just arrived as well as 40 test tubes form a lab in Wisconsin. I'd say you are anything but saved my dear OLD friend! I'm gonna have fun!

Hey San Diego Cachers !!!

I've got 4-5 ammo cans (need a bit of care) and a bunch of other caching containers that I need to find a home.

Email me !!!

Cheers! Jeff

I got them! What a score!

Hurray! ... Jodi didn't get 'em. I'm saved again.

dry.gifNot so fast Harmon. My box of 450 Bisons straight from Hong Kong just arrived as well as 40 test tubes form a lab in Wisconsin. I'd say you are anything but saved my dear OLD friend! I'm gonna have fun!

O no! ... not more of those dreaded Bison tubes.

What ever happened to "Buy American first?"

Here I thought you were softening up in your

old age what with that broken skillet near

Sweetwater and then a lovely teakettle near

Flinn Springs. As any fool can plainly see

I need a plate and tableware, not Bison tubes

and test tubes for cryin' out loud.

On a brighter note, I see that FaceBook has made another stealthy

move by activating a facial-recognition tagging feature. How cool

is that? Now your "Friends," without you knowing it, can tag your

photos so that your face is recognized across the Internet and

associated with a great deal of your personal information that

is quietly siphoned off of Facebook by stealthy means.

Got to be a marketing and targeting paradise ... getting to know

you, getting to know all about you. Those crazy FaceBook kids and

their socialized, I'm sorry, ... social network.

So just for fun I experimented a bit and am quite impressed with

the ease with which personal dossiers can be accumulated. Good way

to know your neighbors and friends without having to actually meet

them in person.

Lemme see now ... so we use shopping-mall security cameras to

recognize faces and tying faces to FaceBook email and cell phone

data we can send real-time offers to them as they pass by our

store. Meanwhile we have the advantage of knowing where they are

at the moment; meaning not at home.

To put a Geocaching spin on this ... imagine now having facial

recognition video cameras mounted near Geocache hides. Think of

it, automatic logging so all y' have t' do is get in front of the

camera ... no more of that messy rooting around for a Bison tube

in a Laurel bush. Take that Jodi!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Not so fast! If it can recognize faces then surely it can recognize cache containers. In order to log the cache you need to show both your mug and the specifically encoded Bison tube which can only be obtained by rooting around in that laurel bush.

Sorry, Harmon...

But before I go, consider that there might be even further implications of this technology. Sgt. Argyle would no doubt approve of the following cache. Using this technology, you could have an Unknown cache that has the additional logging requirement that socks must be properly bunched as verified by the video camera.

Not so fast! If it can recognize faces then surely it can recognize cache containers. In order to log the cache you need to show both your mug and the specifically encoded Bison tube which can only be obtained by rooting around in that laurel bush.

Sorry, Harmon...

But before I go, consider that there might be even further implications of this technology. Sgt. Argyle would no doubt approve of the following cache. Using this technology, you could have an Unknown cache that has the additional logging requirement that socks must be properly bunched as verified by the video camera.

James,

I bow to the depths of your reasoning. Just what I need,

product ID codes on Bison-tube hides. Ye Gods, that's a

Jodi technological nightmare that speaks of limitless

suffering. You mean t' tell me that I would actually have

t' start spotting, opening, and signing Bison tubes?

Next thang y' know Geocachers will have t' actually solve

puzzle caches on their own. What next? ... no more leap-

frogging power-road hides?

As to Sgt. Argyle and the possibiity of unbunched-sock

recognition ... that's a good thang. I've spoken to

Captain Neezoks of the San Diego County Unbunched

Sock Police about this idea and he said that he's

already workin' on it.

What's it all comin' to?

Sorry, Harmon...

James,

already workin' on it.

What's it all comin' to?

laugh.gifOh for Heaven's sake Harmon...just come on over and I'll let you sign the 450 bison tubs before I cover them with fake pine needles or stick them in a bird house......

Speaking of Sgt Argyle..I saw this amazing picture of Habu! with unbunched socks on FACEBOOK, but I didn't know how to steal it and send it to you...so the infraction went un-punished..so sad!

Sorry, Harmon...

James,

already workin' on it.

What's it all comin' to?

laugh.gifOh for Heaven's sake Harmon...just come on over and I'll let you sign the 450 bison tubs before I cover them with fake pine needles or stick them in a bird house......

Speaking of Sgt Argyle..I saw this amazing picture of Habu! with unbunched socks on FACEBOOK, but I didn't know how to steal it and send it to you...so the infraction went un-punished..so sad!

Jodi darlin',

My dream come true, to become your offical Beta Tester.

Finally my ship has come in, a chance to skyrocket to

the top of the find-count chart while I'm still a young

man. Is there room for an Army cot and lantern in your

cache-container warehouse?

As for Habu!'s infraction, I have it from a reliable

source that he owns only one pair of socks that once

upon a time were knee-socks but now tattered and torn.

I'm also told that he darns his own socks. Go figure.

Maybe some other "Friend" can put the unbunched-sock

photo into circulation by way of Sgt. Argyle and the

San Diego County Unbunched Sock Police. That would

surely count as a thoughtful public service.

As ever,

Sweet ol' Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Sorry, Harmon...

James,

already workin' on it.

What's it all comin' to?

Jodi darlin',

As ever,

Sweet ol' Harmon

Here's another good-one from Facebook -

[A Facebook spokesman said that] "... people could adjust their

privacy settings to prevent images being copied."

Crackup, show me a link to a FaceBook photo with such a privacy

setting and I'll send you a copy of the "private" photo saved

from the Facebook account. What a crock! FaceBook privacy is

akin to "Keep Off The Grass" signs in public parks.

Not that anybody cares.

Sorry, Harmon...

James,

already workin' on it.

What's it all comin' to?

Jodi darlin',

As ever,

Sweet ol' Harmon

What a minute someone must of hacked into Jodi's account there's no way she wrote that, come on over and sign the 450 bison's.:huh: :huh: :huh:

Sorry, Harmon...

James,

already workin' on it.

What's it all comin' to?

Jodi darlin',

As ever,

Sweet ol' Harmon

What a minute someone must of hacked into Jodi's account there's no way she wrote that, come on over and sign the 450 bison's.:huh: :huh: :huh:

Did you catch the fine print where, after he signs them, he gets to roll those 450 little buggers and then stuff them into said tubes?

Sorry, Harmon...

James,

already workin' on it.

What's it all comin' to?

Jodi darlin',

As ever,

Sweet ol' Harmon

Did you catch the fine print where, after he signs them, he gets to roll those 450 little buggers and then stuff them into said tubes?

Moonboat and Team Fatman,

At last, a couple of pals that are looking after me.

Could it be that with Moonboat my ship has finally

come in?

Thanks for the warnings, so many times now I've fallen

with unblemished innocence into the schemes and plots

contrived by that WWOTOIB.

I seem to be putty in her hands as evidenced by the

skillet hide with no bacon and eggs, by the teakettle

hide with no cup nor tea, by resting places with naught

but Poison Ivy and boulder fields, with arachnophobic

hidey holes with arachno-frights, and worse.

My suffering at the hands of Jodi is akin to the plots

and schemes of the beautiful Milady de Winter against

d'Artagnan. One might wonder what will be written in

our epilogue. (James, help everybody out here please.)

Woe is me,

Poor ol' Harmon

SD Rowdies

Note to Self: Without Jodi I'm nothing.

Edited by SD Rowdies
My suffering at the hands of Jodi is akin to the plots and schemes of the beautiful Milady de Winter against d'Artagnan. One might wonder what will be written in

I would not like to spoil the ending for anyone by speaking out here...but I would mention that in 1939, Tiffany Thayer authored a version of the Three Musketeers told from the perspective of Milady de Winter.

fac84a5f-a9ed-43f6-861b-2094cd8f85ce.jpg

This books was sometimes purchased by librarian's for the Children's Sections (and also for school libraries) which made it immensely popular when the children discovered that ol' Tiffany was rather explicit when dealing with intimate relationships. (Indeed, as this is a family site, I have toned down the cover art...)

The book is no longer in print but one can find copies quite inexpensively through Amazon and other used book retailers.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
My suffering at the hands of Jodi is akin to the plots and schemes of the beautiful Milady de Winter against d'Artagnan. One might wonder what will be written in

I would not like to spoil the ending for anyone by speaking out here...but I would mention that in 1939, Tiffany Thayer authored a version of the Three Musketeers told from the perspective of Milady de Winter.

This books was sometimes purchased by librarian's for the Children's Sections (and also for school libraries) which made it immensely popular when the children discovered that ol' Tiffany was rather explicit when dealing with intimate relationships. (Indeed, as this is a family site, I have toned down the cover art...)

The book is no longer in print but one can find copies quite inexpensively through Amazon and other used book retailers.

James,

You are amazing .. a wealth of knowledge.

The follow-up question is obvious ...

might you be related to Tiffany Thayer?

James,

Harmon, this one looks like it's right up your alley. So to speak.

be68870a-aaaf-46d7-9004-b4dece75006a.jpg

James,

Harmon, this one looks like it's right up your alley. So to speak.

be68870a-aaaf-46d7-9004-b4dece75006a.jpg

Hey now! thanks pal, I'm all over it. I'll add it

to my curmudgeon reading list. Hope the Kindle

version is free. Teens gone wild ... ain't that

more like the sixties?

Edited by SD Rowdies