The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Make sure to download Google Earth 6.0 and see what they have done with StreetView.

I just saw the StreetView Google Mobile go by yesterday. Soon you'll be able to go to the corner of Mira Mesa and Reagan Road and see me in Google Earth! :P

OMG! ... and event. Will there be PUD cake?

It was in encinitas last week so look for my big work truck at El Camino Real and Encinitas Blvd.

Big truck? ... y' mean Yoda?

No this is a bigger truck has 10 wheels diesel engine.

Dang! ... what y'all haulin'?

Ten wheels falls kinda short for a country song -

Eighteen wheels and a dozen roses,

Ten more miles on his four day run.

Can't get google earth 6 to load, it just gives me google earth.

Yep, should be Google Earth Version 6.0.

Nope even has my house still blue it's green and there's no rocks in SKILLET'S yard.

Y'all must be drinkin' some hard-stuff ...

Skillet Rocks!

Google Earth Streetview not only shows the

streetside rocks but they caught Skillet tryin'

t' hide behind that that boulder he drug in.

Edited by SD Rowdies

still just getting google earth so maybe you can come over on friday my day off and show me how to get it to download?

Here's the link ...

Google Earth 6 Download

Click the big "Download Google Earth 6" button.

That's the one I have been trying but it's not working, I even uninstall google chrome and earth before I download.

Does a yellow bar pop up just below your browser toolbars?

If so then right-click it and accept the temporary addon.

I know there are some Ham Radio cachers around here -- could you please recommend 2m or 70cm repeaters that cover Anza-Borrego?

I've found a few listed that seem as if they might cover that area -- Monument Peak 147.24; Borrego Springs 147.855; and Palomar 146.73; but do those actually work in Anza-Borrego, and are there other good ones?

Thanks & 73! de N4JIU

I know there are some Ham Radio cachers around here -- could you please recommend 2m or 70cm repeaters that cover Anza-Borrego?

I've found a few listed that seem as if they might cover that area -- Monument Peak 147.24; Borrego Springs 147.855; and Palomar 146.73; but do those actually work in Anza-Borrego, and are there other good ones?

Thanks & 73! de N4JIU

Last month I went through every repeater I know of from the Palm Canyon Campground. The only one I could bring up at all was the .73 machine on Palomar, but I wasn't in to it well enough to communicate. I couldn't bring up the Borrego one at all. I've heard it is at the airport and I could hear all the airplanes on the ground there so I don't think the repeater was working. I've only talked to others out there on simplex. Most offroaders hang out on 146.55, I think. But I've always had good luck working Hf from there.

Barry

W6YDK

Thanks & 73! de N4JIU

Last month I went through every repeater I know of from the Palm Canyon Campground. The only one I could bring up at all was the .73 machine on Palomar, but I wasn't in to it well enough to communicate. I couldn't bring up the Borrego one at all. I've heard it is at the airport and I could hear all the airplanes on the ground there so I don't think the repeater was working. I've only talked to others out there on simplex. Most offroaders hang out on 146.55, I think. But I've always had good luck working Hf from there.

Barry

W6YDK

I've used the Monument Peak repeater in the southern part of the park. Lyons Peak in locations, too - 146.265

Jim

W9JIM

Thanks, Barry and Jim, for the repeater info. As it happened, I didn't even turn on my radio on the trip last weekend, but next time I go out there I will see which of those repeaters that you mentioned I can hit. But I guess I won't rely on them for foolproof emergency communications! (I'm unlikely to go anywhere remotely remote, anyway :) )

Very sad news to report....

882795_300x300.jpeg

GRUBERT, CARL ERNEST 1942 to 2011 Born in Illinois. Family moved to San Diego in 1949 where Carl remained until his death. He married Stella Elena in 1964. Two children were born of their union. Carl served proudly in the military. He worked over 33 years for Pac Bell, never missing a day of work due to illness, and completed his college education during that time. Carl started at Pac Bell as a linesman and worked his way up to engineer, while going to school and raising a family. Carl was a fitness fanatic before a "healthy life style" became popular. He was known for his incredible endurance in running, biking, hiking, fishing, and geocaching, etc. Anything that involved physical activity. Carl just finished his last marathon, crossing the finish line in Heaven. Carl is survived by his beloved wife, Stella; son, Carl (Ashley); daughter, Laura (Jim); sister, Carleen (George), and two grandchildren, Joseph Street and Ariel Grubert, and large extended family. Memorial services will be held on March 26, 2011 at Del Cerro Baptist Church, 5512 Pennsylvania Lane, La Mesa, California, beginning at 3:00 p.m. In lieu of floral arrangements, please send donations to the American Cancer Society or the American Diabetes Association .

882795_300x300.jpeg

GRUBERT, CARL ERNEST 1942 to 2011 Born in Illinois. Family moved to San Diego in 1949 where Carl remained until his death. He married Stella Elena in 1964. Two children were born of their union. Carl served proudly in the military. He worked over 33 years for Pac Bell, never missing a day of work due to illness, and completed his college education during that time. Carl started at Pac Bell as a linesman and worked his way up to engineer, while going to school and raising a family. Carl was a fitness fanatic before a "healthy life style" became popular. He was known for his incredible endurance in running, biking, hiking, fishing, and geocaching, etc. Anything that involved physical activity. Carl just finished his last marathon, crossing the finish line in Heaven. Carl is survived by his beloved wife, Stella; son, Carl (Ashley); daughter, Laura (Jim); sister, Carleen (George), and two grandchildren, Joseph Street and Ariel Grubert, and large extended family. Memorial services will be held on March 26, 2011 at Del Cerro Baptist Church, 5512 Pennsylvania Lane, La Mesa, California, beginning at 3:00 p.m. In lieu of floral arrangements, please send donations to the American Cancer Society or the American Diabetes Association .

The last time I saw Carl he had found a pair of my sunglasses that I had left at some cache somewhere, and we met up for a FTF hunt in MTRP. Here's his log... He was still very strong but told me about some health issues with his legs. RIP, General. We will miss you!!

Edited by FlagMan

882795_300x300.jpeg

The last time I saw Carl he had found a pair of my sunglasses that I had left at some cache somewhere, and we met up for a FTF hunt in MTRP. He was still very strong but told me about some health issues with his legs. RIP, General. We will miss you!!

It was an honor to have known Carl. I'll always remember his smile and his bone crushing handshake.

D!

882795_300x300.jpeg

The last time I saw Carl he had found a pair of my sunglasses that I had left at some cache somewhere, and we met up for a FTF hunt in MTRP. He was still very strong but told me about some health issues with his legs. RIP, General. We will miss you!!

My good friend and able adversary from the

MTRP Cache War of 2006. Bless and keep him.

882795_300x300.jpeg

SAD SO VERY SAD! He was a good person, I enjoyed racing him to FTF caches all hours of the day!

My Prayers to the Family

Trixxie and I were only thinking about Carl while up on Cowles Mountain on Thursday! We found Vista del Cegrube's Casa

http://coord.info/GCVETA among others. Very sad news.

882795_300x300.jpeg

SAD SO VERY SAD! He was a good person, I enjoyed racing him to FTF caches all hours of the day!

My Prayers to the Family

882795_300x300.jpeg

My Prayers to the Family

I will never forget the times when I was going for a FTF close by the house and would always hear, wait a minite I'm coming let's be Co-FTF.

Prayers to the Grubert Family.

RIP General CeGrube.

Edited by Team Fatman

882795_300x300.jpeg

Our community is diminished. Rest in Peace, cegrube.

882795_300x300.jpeg

We never had the pleasure of meeting cegrube. Our condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

882795_300x300.jpeg

We never had the pleasure of meeting cegrube. Our condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

I, too, never had the pleasure of meeting cegrube. Very sad news - so sorry to hear.

882795_300x300.jpeg

Dang, wtf, I spoke to him about 5-6 months ago. He complained about his his aching knees but sounded in good spirits, otherwise, as he usually did. I used to be able to count on him for FTF night hikes. Our night hike to Mother Miguel Mtn, starting from the Steele Bridge is one memory of him I haven't forgotten; nor our drive down the "Burma Rd" in the Lagunas; nor our night hikes during the MTRP war. I gave the impression, then, that I was a neutral party, but in reality, I was one of his silent allies. Rest in peace Carl.

882795_300x300.jpeg

What a sad sad day. He is truly a legend in our geo-family here in San Diego. I still recall the day when John and I were pushing our bikes up a gnarly hill in Sweetwater only to look back and see this 1/2 naked (he often ran with no shirt) rock solid sweating machine bearing down on us with a HUGE grin on his face. He will be missed, but the memories and the stories we have are timeless. RIP General Cegrube!

882795_300x300.jpeg

He was a super nice guy full of energy. Rest in peace, Carl.

882795_300x300.jpeg

We had met Carl when we first started geocaching...He respectfully beat us to one of our first FTF attempts...There he was bent over looking in the bushes...Up he stood and his smile captivated us....We didn't participate in the MTRP war games but watched in awe as he and others out did one another....The cache hidden in the storm drain under Navajo had his name on it....We will miss him for a short time...So glad that his finish line was victorious!

RIP Cegrube. Thanks for all your contributions to the hobby! You'll be missed.

Thinking a bit about MTRP when I saw an article in the UT today about a geocacher and a rattlesnake:

"A 41-year-old man called 911 on his cellphone at 3:30 p.m., saying he’d been bitten on one lower leg by a large rattler while geo-caching, a scavenger hunt for hidden trinkets using a GPS. A sheriff’s helicopter crew found him on a Fortuna Mountain, south of state Route 52 and directed in a San Diego Fire-Rescue Department helicopter. Firefighter/paramedic Barry Links said the hiker, in considerable pain, was hoisted aboard flown to Sharp Memorial Hospital about 40 minutes after the bite."

Ouch. Hope he's feeling better! Anybody know who it is?

-Tony

882795_300x300.jpeg

We had met Carl when we first started geocaching...He respectfully beat us to one of our first FTF attempts...There he was bent over looking in the bushes...Up he stood and his smile captivated us....We didn't participate in the MTRP war games but watched in awe as he and others out did one another....The cache hidden in the storm drain under Navajo had his name on it....We will miss him for a short time...So glad that his finish line was victorious!

Sorry to hear that Carl has left us. We hope that he enjoys his newest adventure in heaven. He was an incredible man and we thank him for all his contributions to our community. Rest in peace Carl. We will miss you!

Carl sure made his mark in our geocaching community. Everytime we think of him we see a physical force that can't be stopped!

Who can forget the MTRP cache wars?? The last time we spoke with him, he said that he was having a great time playing with

his grandchildren and just enjoying life, but still caching a little.

It's hard to believe that your're really gone Carl, but we will all miss you General.!

RIP,

The Splashes

882795_300x300.jpeg

Sorry to hear that Carl has left us. We hope that he enjoys his newest adventure in heaven. He was an incredible man and we thank him for all his contributions to our community. Rest in peace Carl. We will miss you!

Yes indeed , he always had a smile on his face and ready to help if you needed it.

RIP

882795_300x300.jpeg

RIP General. You will be missed...

882795_300x300.jpeg

I never got to meet the General but he was always helpful by email and always game for a new cache in his neighborhood. Sad to lose one of the good guys.

882795_300x300.jpeg

I never got to meet the General but he was always helpful by email and always game for a new cache in his neighborhood. Sad to lose one of the good guys.

I just called his cell phone to see if anyone would answer to tell them soory for there loss, it went to voice mail and was nice to hear Carl's voice.

I am so lucky to have been his friend.

RIP Cegrube. Thanks for all your contributions to the hobby! You'll be missed.

Thinking a bit about MTRP when I saw an article in the UT today about a geocacher and a rattlesnake:

"A 41-year-old man called 911 on his cellphone at 3:30 p.m., saying he’d been bitten on one lower leg by a large rattler while geo-caching, a scavenger hunt for hidden trinkets using a GPS. A sheriff’s helicopter crew found him on a Fortuna Mountain, south of state Route 52 and directed in a San Diego Fire-Rescue Department helicopter. Firefighter/paramedic Barry Links said the hiker, in considerable pain, was hoisted aboard flown to Sharp Memorial Hospital about 40 minutes after the bite."

Ouch. Hope he's feeling better! Anybody know who it is?

-Tony

Turns out it was Marshall "rscaensd." I just spoke to Chris Johnson (Team Duckit) who is a co-worker of Marshall, and I'm posting this because Chris is in the field and can't access his computer right now. He can elaborate when he has a chance. But here's what I got of the story from Chris:

Marshall was just hiking along when he was struck without warning -- no rattle -- in the ankle. The snake hung on and he had to shake it off his leg. Within minutes he was immobilized and couldn't feel most of his body. He was barely able to make a 911 call to report his location. Rescue took 45-minutes to reach him and during this time he had to fight off the snake as best as he could as it was still rattling around near him. He threw rocks in its direction but he couldn't get up to walk or run away. Rescue workers had to carry him to the helicopter. He "lost" the next two days in ICU. His thigh swelled up to 54" in diameter. He is getting better now, and it sounds like he got the anti-venom in his system before any serious permanent damage was done. Just heard that he's going home today, so sounds like he's going to be OK!! :)

With all the hundreds of thousands of geocaching hours we have all put in on the trails, this is the first report I have heard of a person getting bitten by a rattlesnake. I have heard of several dogs, but this is the first attack on a person. It might be rare, but it could be deadly. I know I'm guilty of hiking alone without cell coverage. I think I am going to get me a pair of snake guards and use them for such times. Dave kawikaturn Turner might have some left over from a supply he is/was selling on eBay...

Thanks for the update, Tom. Yes, I have over a dozen on hand. Different sizes and colors. I even have a pink pair!

SnakeGuardzR2232mc2-2.jpgbrnsnakeguardz2.jpg

I sell them for and average amount of $55.00 on ebay. Click on the photos for more info on my ebay product page. I sell the exact same product as snakeguards.com sells for $63.

Please contact me directly if you are interested and save $ on shipping and ebay fees.

Dave "kawikaturn" Turner

aka kawikaturn on ebay also!

Here's the hot scoop from the

snake-bite victim, rscaensd.

Log Entry

Apparently he's well enough now to look after log

entries from that dreadful day. How delightful is

that? ... and think of the incomparable story he

has to tell.

Turns out that the snake encounter happened in the

West Hills Geocaching area rather than MTRP, and

quite near the discarded electric cook-stove wherein

the Jahoadi and John hide named "Cook it Yourself

Harmon" is located.

How delightful it is to know that the poor victim

is recovering well. One hopes for more detail about

the encounter.

Basic rule for snake avoidance ... watch your step,

each and every one of them while on the trail.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Log Entry

has to tell.

Harmon" is located.

the encounter.

Today's weather was cool at Sweetwater Resevoir...We were sure that the snakes would be inside but what do ya know...I came within 4 feet of a rattler stretched out across a rock only 7 feet from a cache...I moved the snake with my walking stick and boy howdy did that snake get mad!!! At first the snake didn't look too big but when it started winding up it seemed that the snake would never end coiling up...It rattled a good ten minutes and put on quite a show...we got a picture of it and it can be seen in our gallery..first one that we have seen this season!

Log Entry

has to tell.

Harmon" is located.

the encounter.

Today's weather was cool at Sweetwater Resevoir...We were sure that the snakes would be inside but what do ya know...I came within 4 feet of a rattler stretched out across a rock only 7 feet from a cache...I moved the snake with my walking stick and boy howdy did that snake get mad!!! At first the snake didn't look too big but when it started winding up it seemed that the snake would never end coiling up...It rattled a good ten minutes and put on quite a show...we got a picture of it and it can be seen in our gallery..first one that we have seen this season!

So glad everything turned out okay today! With the recent reports, I think we all have to be extra careful about snakes this year!

And don't forget your geo-pups, too! They need their avoidance training and shots.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am no longer TEAM FATMAN.

I am giving up GEOCACHING!

Had some good times and enjoyed meeting everone so if anyone wants my hides let me know cause I am not removing them.

???? :( :( :(

Though April showers will come your way ... la, la, la, la-la!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Had some good times and enjoyed meeting everone so if anyone wants my hides let me know cause I am not removing them.

... and I'm going to plant a dozen puzzle caches this weekend. :o

00020771.gif

... and I'm going to plant a dozen puzzle caches this weekend. :o

00020771.gif

Finally, Groundspeak banned puzzle caches. Hurrah!

April Fools?

Hey that's my line.

But I did fool someone even got a phone call and no will not say who it was, sorry.

April Fools?

Hey that's my line.

But I did fool someone even got a phone call and no will not say who it was, sorry.

Sorry? O please, you know very well that you aren't sorry.

Well done.

Edited by SD Rowdies