The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

:D Just a reminder I have 23 XL and 14 L San Diego Geocacher Tshirts left over. They don't have any info about the event so they are good for everybody....$12. I think everyone needs one...hint hint Mr. KWVER!

Plus..I have 1XL and 3 L crew-neck Sweatshirts...$21 they're nice and warm.

Let me know if you want any. If I'm told ahead I could bring them to the Roughneck Rendevous Saturday or the Puzzle event in North county next month.

Thanks......:D

Edited by jahoadi and john

It has been a long time since we have been geocaching with any consistency or posted on the forums for that matter. Anyway, we have picked it up again and now we are looking to add the Garmin GPSMAP 62s to our toolbox and are hoping to find some feedback from some of the local geocachers. If you own a Garmin 62s or have spent time geocaching with one, we would love to hear your feedback. Currently we use GPSMAP 60Csx and I think it is going to be a tough act to follow as it is a great piece of equipment. Thanks.

Tex, Capie, & Mr. T

Anyway, we have picked it up again and now we are looking to add the Garmin GPSMAP 62s to our toolbox and are hoping to find some feedback from some of the local geocachers.

Tex, Capie, & Mr. T

I have one. I really like it. It displaced my 60cx as the main GPSr.

What's good:

-2000 waypoint memory (most of north and central SD fits)

-Direct input of pocket queries for paperless caching. No need for a PDA; cache descriptions, etc, are right there. That's awesome.

-Similar buttons as the 60, so nothing new to learn.

-As rugged and accurate as the 60.

Not so good:

-I worry the buttons will wear out, as they get a lot of use when caching paperless. We'll see.

-Garish yellow.

Gen'l info:

-Battery life seems as good as the 60.

-Some glitches when recording finds; very minor and easy to fix (e.g. the internal log carries the finds, but the day's calendar data doesn't show you have any finds).

-Working the internal file system takes a little bit of savvy...you plug it in like a thumb drive, it's an extra drive on your computer, and you just copy pertinent .gpx files to the "GPX" folder. Also the geocache_visits.txt log is self-explanatory, but you need to look for it.

-It doesn't handle Wherigo caches.

I say buy it. I got a good deal on Amazon for mine; bought it after losing my PDA on a business trip and having nothing to do paperless caching with.

Today (February 1st) is my 10th anniversary geocaching! :D My very first find was Powder Can Cache in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Unfortunately, it was a casualty to the park's no cache policy and was removed. It would have been nice to revisit it today.

Just wanted to take a moment and say thanks to geocaching.com and to all my "geobuddies" for a great ten years! :)

Jim/W9JIM

Today (February 1st) is my 10th anniversary geocaching! :D My very first find was Powder Can Cache in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Unfortunately, it was a casualty to the park's no cache policy and was removed. It would have been nice to revisit it today.

Just wanted to take a moment and say thanks to geocaching.com and to all my "geobuddies" for a great ten years! :)

Jim/W9JIM

HAPPY GEOVERSARY JIM!!!! Time flies when we're having fun! Here's to another 10..............Woohoo!!!

Happy Geoversary, W9JIM!!!

Powder Can Cache was one of my favorite caches and I mourn its loss. In honor of your 10th, I will now take a few moments to make a mental journey back to the Powder Can Cache (ABDSP can take the cache but they can't take my memories!) Thanks for your contributions to the game.

Powder Can Cache was one of my favorite caches and I mourn its loss. In honor of your 10th, I will now take a few moments to make a mental journey back to the Powder Can Cache (ABDSP can take the cache but they can't take my memories!) Thanks for your contributions to the game.

Jim, Lots of memories. There are still a few of yours I haven't gotten yet. But, I too want to thank you for your contributions to the game and for being a good friend. I've certainly enjoyed caching with you. 10 years! Time flies. Chuck

Edited by Chuck B

Jim/W9JIM

Congrats!

Funny, that was the first cache page I looked at back in May of 2003. I was doing a google search for the Goat Canyon Trestle and I stumbled upon the Powder Can Cache page.

D!

Jim/W9JIM

HAPPY GEOVERSARY JIM!!!! Time flies when we're having fun! Here's to another 10..............Woohoo!!!

Happy 10, 0002013F.gif We missed you last weekend in the desert.

Jim/W9JIM

Happy Geo-Anniversary!! You're one of the few cachers I know from as far back as 2001. Cool that you're still around and still having fun with the sport!!

Jim/W9JIM

Happy Geo-Anniversary!! You're one of the few cachers I know from as far back as 2001. Cool that you're still around and still having fun with the sport!!

:cool: Happy 10-Year Geo-Anniversary! :cool:

Jim/W9JIM

Happy Anniversary! We were at that first SD event at Islands! Here's to the next ten years!! I wonder what changes we shall see!

Jane

aka Jane8276 back then!!

Just joined the forumn....family is really enjoying Caching....Met some nice people...Lookin forward to getting my puzzle skills up to par on the 16th.....was thinking of getting a Jeep before we started Caching....now it's looking even more likely!

Nice to see you on the forums!! Yep, the Jeep is a highly recommended TOTT for caching!! :D :D :D Sieck ya out there!!

Just joined the forumn....family is really enjoying Caching....Met some nice people...Lookin forward to getting my puzzle skills up to par on the 16th.....was thinking of getting a Jeep before we started Caching....now it's looking even more likely!

Nice to see you on the forums!! Yep, the Jeep is a highly recommended TOTT for caching!! :D :D :D Sieck ya out there!!

Jeep should really provide a kickback to us geocacher's. While the OTT is definitely a great place to break in a new jeep, there are hundreds of trails to explore around here, a lot with caches too.

WOW, thats great. I am sure you have lots of stories. We hope we can stay with the game that long.

Aw geez, are you gonna fall in with that bunch of Jeep people?

Next thing y' know you'll be on Facebook clickin' th' Like button

and swapping Farmville fertilizer.

Just so you know, take a look at this link to see how Jeep people

turn out. Don't say I didn't warn you; after all, Jeep people took

a knife to me.

O yeah, just so you know ... puzzle caches are for seesies.

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies
WOW, thats great. I am sure you have lots of stories. We hope we can stay with the game that long.

Just so you know, take a look at this link to see how Jeep people turn out.

Fair warning. Avoidance of jeep ownership will not save you from Harmon's unique perspective (shall we say) of the universe.

The secret is to post no photographs (or if you do, put them some place where Harmon can't find them...)

Fair warning. Avoidance of jeep ownership will not save you from Harmon's unique perspective (shall we say) of the universe.

The secret is to post no photographs (or if you do, put them some place where Harmon can't find them...)

Why I oughta ...!

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Paper-hat power!

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Paper-hat power!

Well that didn't take long. :blink: :blink:

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Paper-hat power!

Harmon, ye have no shame! :laughing:

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Paper-hat power!

No shame, are you kidding? My momma said "Shame on

you" most every day while I was growin' up.

Say, now that you checked in on this discussion, Sue,

perhaps you can help me solve a mystery ... why is it

that Jeep people wear hiking boots?

For some reason that have yet to understand to own or

to ride in a Jeep seems to bring with it a need to wear

a color-coordinated L. L. Bean hiking costume. Not

mentioning any names of course.

Whyzat?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Paper-hat power!

No shame, are you kidding? My momma said "Shame on you"

most every day while I was growin' up.

a color-coordinated L.L. Bean hiking costume.

Whyzat?

Hmmm...since I've been wearing tennis shoes for the last six months or so, I'm going to have to pass this one off to RRS or FM or the Splashes :rolleyes:

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Paper-hat power!

No shame, are you kidding? My momma said "Shame on

you" most every day while I was growin' up.

a color-coordinated L.L. Bean hiking costume.

Whyzat?

Hmmm...since I've been wearing tennis shoes for the last

six months or so, I'm going to have to pass this one off

to RRS or FM or the Splashes :rolleyes:

So ... uhm ... when do you play tennis?

And, by the way, I've seen what RRS wears.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Paper-hat power!

We have been out Caching....go figure!! Very nice work on the photo editing!!

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Paper-hat power!

How did I know that picture was going to get dragged out.

As for LL Bean and REI, they are way outside my budget. I'm more Wal-mart and Big 5 sports.

But just like our Jeeps on the trails, we're always looking for a little more stability and traction.

Anyone notice their images on their cache pages getting messed up recently? Like the rules changed for their default size or something. I did a quick look on the main forums and couldn't find any discussion of it. Anyone have any info?

I had not noticed anything but then my cache pages tend to be very tolerant of the kinds of things that browsers can do when rendering cache pages.

That said, over the years I've seen a handful of instances where the Lilly Pond decides that it needs to freshen the format of the site and some programmer delivers a new bunch of CSS (cascading style sheets) that mess up a few dozen cache pages (usually puzzle caches whose solution depends heavily on the format of the page.) Much yelling and gnashing of teeth ensues and within a day or so the Lilly Pond backs out whatever change interfered with the layout of these cache pages.

Why I oughta ...!

Looks like a Hoot!!

Paper-hat power!

Pushover!

Hey Zuck', what was that you said

about FaceBook privacy settings?

Too bad!

Maybe now he knows how that grade-school teacher feels about

losing her job because her FaceBook "Friends" mainstreamed

her "personal" photos. Now she's suing her school district

instead of her FaceBook "Friends."

Hahahahahaha! ... the King isn't wearing clothes.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Jim/W9JIM

A little late, but congratulations on the tenth anniversary. It's good to see another old timer pop up :D

Make sure to download Google Earth 6.0 and see what they have done with StreetView.

I just saw the StreetView Google Mobile go by yesterday. Soon you'll be able to go to the corner of Mira Mesa and Reagan Road and see me in Google Earth! :P

OMG! ... and event. Will there be PUD cake?

It was in encinitas last week so look for my big work truck at El Camino Real and Encinitas Blvd.

Make sure to download Google Earth 6.0 and see what they have done with StreetView.

I just saw the StreetView Google Mobile go by yesterday. Soon you'll be able to go to the corner of Mira Mesa and Reagan Road and see me in Google Earth! :P

It was in encinitas last week so look for my big work truck at El Camino Real and Encinitas Blvd.

Big truck? ... y' mean Yoda?

No this is a bigger truck has 10 wheels diesel engine.

Edited by Team Fatman

Dang! ... what y'all haulin'?

Ten wheels falls kinda short for a country song -

Eighteen wheels and a dozen roses,

Ten more miles on his four day run.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Can't get google earth 6 to load, it just gives me google earth.

Yep, should be Google Earth Version 6.0.

Yep, should be Google Earth Version 6.0.

nope even has my house still blue it's green and there's no rocks in SKILLET'S yard.