The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I tweaked the coordinates on the Anza event cache just a bit.

They had been centered on the intersection between the California Riding and Hiking Trail and another old trail (shown on the topo). However, after looking at the aerial photos, I realized this was off the main dirt road and southwest of the primary camping area. So I played with the numbers until I got zeroed on the wide place in the road next to the camping area (Foot and Walker Pass).

Parsa

quote:
Originally posted by Night Hunter:

Ruscal: Do you just like the way that 1000 looks or what tongue.gif, are you ever going to log the rest of those caches? Maybe you could wait till your at 1250 then log them all at the same time icon_razz.gif

Actually I do like the way it looks icon_biggrin.gif , but will get around to logging the few caches I have done since the picnic soon. I think there were a few before the picnic as well (if I can just remember which ones they were!)????? Shudda writ em down.

I'm on the 12 step program, so won't be logging too many this year if I don't go off the caching wagon, that is. Total abstinence is a killer!

Russ

http://members.cox.net/fordest/geocaching

http://members.cox.net/fordest/usacoolflag.gif

I, Madam, I made radio!! So I dared!! Am I mad?? AM I????

Hi folks,

I should be able to make it at least one day. Since I'm unemployed (right now, at least), I can make it out on Friday for those interested in doing afternoon caching before the main party starts on the weekend.

Unfortunately, my Honda Civic doesn't lend itself to high-clearance situations. Thus, I have to ask for some transportation help while we're out caching during the weekend.

quote:
Originally posted by jaxxom:

The best place to use as a group site is at Agua Caliente. The reasons are many but here are a few. 1) a thermal pool to rest your body in after a long day of geocaching.

Is there still interest in this? I could organize it since I have the free time.

M.

I just got an email from rc_glider_guy & the Minocqua tribe, and their Indian Guide tribe will be out at Agua on Saturday. I think there may be hook-up sites still, but you're welcome to find out info and post it on the cache site (and here).

I'm sure there will be people with room in their trucks. I *may* be able to commit a spot, but we'll see on the cache day how it works out. I know I need room in my front seat for my GPS nav' laptop, as I'll probably be leading people into the wilds o' the desert.

You can actually camp just about anywhere in the Anza Borrego and it's OK. I've set up camp along Kane Springs Road, and in a wash west of Elephant Trees for instance. Blair Valley is *big*, and you can pretty much camp anywhere along the dirt road. If it happens to be jam packed that weekend, we can always drive around to the north side of Little Blair Valley, but I doubt if we'll need to.

BTW, does anyone have a banner or something we can put up? In any event, just look for a dirty red Xterra.

Parsa

From DesertUSA (with my corrections):

"Blair Valley -- Numerous open sites near Marshal South Home, Morteros and Pictographs Trails located off County Road S-2 south of California 78. Blair Valley region.

Park Backcountry Camping -- Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, is one of the few California parks that allows open camping throughout its 600,000 acres. There is no charge for this type of camping."

Parsa

Here is some more info on Balir Valley from someone who has camped there countless times (Me). Refer to the topo map below:

dc6c77e0-a504-4e5a-a5d0-612cce5426ff.jpg

First of all, the entrance to Blair Valley off of S2 is at N 33 2.277 W 116 24.613 (see waypoint marked ENTER on the map above). Secondly, the best camping area is away from the entrance at approximately N 33 1.690 W 116 23.739 (see waypoint marked CAMPING on the map above). This is a protected alcove area below a cool mountain of big bolders. I have a cache at the top of the mountain of boulders that I placed there with fkrexcal back in early 2001.

This camping area can accomadate an unlimited number of campers as far as our group is concerned. I have camped there with 900 Dads and Daughters on a YMCA campout. The pit toiles are near the entrance to Blair Valley, so it is a short drive from the camping area to get to them. When we went with the YMCA, we had porta poties. I camped there with a small group last year and it was no big deal to drive to the pit toilits when necessary.

Below is a picture of the camping area as viewed from our cache:

1238_600.jpg

I will post this same info in a log on the event cache page.

Rocket Man

What a Bummer!

Ignore my previous post with respect to where in Blair Valley to camp. Wouldn't you know it that a Nation of Indian Guides will be camping in that area on the same weekend. I am the volunteer webmaster for their website and I should have checked previously, but I didn't.

I suggest that we camp at the alcove before the one that I previously suggested. This is closer to the coordinates that Parsa gave for the event cache. The locaton is N 33 02.030 W 116 23.885 (marked as CAMPING on the map below):

Blair-Valley-Topo.jpg

Rocket Man

Well, I guess we'll just find out when we get there. There's camping spaces just to the south of Foot and Walker Pass, others just north of the entrance, and places east of the hill to the northwest of the "19" on the map. As I said, if we need peace and quiet, we can go on the other side of the hill to Little Blair Valley. It will be a bit more primitive with no toilets though. Personally I have no problem with that, but others might.

Parsa

Hey Guys,

Wanted to thank Parsa for setting this up, Thanks Parsa! I let the moths fly from my wallet and became a premium member today! Yay! If anybody wants a freebie, the San Diego Zoo is free for everybody on Mon., Oct. 6th. I asked for vacation leave that day and actually got it! I'm heading out to Blair Valley to check out the area. I've been out there before a couple of years ago, but would like to do some recon and check out the place. I will definitely be there on Saturday, not sure if I can stay for Sunday, we'll see. I'll get some pics of the suggested camping site and post them. Thanks again,

Duscwe!

The higher, the fewer!

Help! I set a cache in Little Blair Valley, near the pictographs in ABDSP. OK? Well...I lost the coordinates! They were accidentally over-written by my friend while we were caching (really, it wasn't me!). I might not be able to get back there until the 21st and I would like it to be ready for the big event. If anyone is going out there sooner could you get the coordinates for me? I took a spoiler photo and with "other" info, it will be an easy find. (Hint - Ruscal, Nat, or T.R. Violin). If not, I'll get out there Tues. and hope it gets listed in time. Thanks,

Duscwe!

Duscwe!

The higher, the fewer!

Dude! You gotta stop drinking so much coffee. icon_wink.gif

I always write my coordinates down. Never trust the receiver. I do the following:

1. I write down the full coordinates as they appear on the screen at the location.

2. I then procede to write the fractions of a minute for long' and lat' every 30 seconds. This gives a regular independent variable. It would probably be enough to get six measurements like this, but I usually take a dozen or so. (Often you can tell in six measurements if the coordinates are fairly steady. If they aren't, then I take a dozen or so.) Take the average of these and use that as your set of coordinates.

3. If you come at a different time, you can do it again and average this value with your previous one. This will account better for different satellite positions.

Steve

Greeting SoCal Geo-neighbors,

We've got a question:

Does anyone down there know the ''m&m pirates''? Have you met them/him/her?

We came down early Friday to see the Miramar NAS airshow and spent some time in and

around the cave at La Jolla Cove searching for their Pirates Hide Away cache.

Scoured the place with no luck. When we got home last night, we checked their

profile... It shows they just joined Sept. 12th with no finds and only the one hide to their name.

And they haven't logged on to the site since Sept 28th. We emailed them, but have yet to hear from them. Are they for real? Or are they REAL pirates playing a joke on everyone/US? Is there a cache there, or not?

If it's a joke, it's a great one. We fell for it. HA! HA!

I was suspicious when I first read the cache description stating ''The altitude of the

cache is about 6 feet above water line at low tide''. Even if there was a cache placed,

at HIGH tide with any kind of swell, it would be washed away.

So. What's the scoop? Anyone know? It was a fun day down there.

We might feel a bit embarrassed if it is a dupe, but just curious as to the truth...

How is everyone acquiring their cache pages for the Anza-Borrego Tour? I think printing them out would use too much paper and I know the GPS can't store that much information. If I had better knowlege of Web programming I'd try to pull the data off that way but I think that would be too time consuming. Any ideas?

quote:
Originally posted by allanorn:

How is everyone acquiring their cache pages for the Anza-Borrego Tour? I think printing them out would use too much paper and I know the GPS can't store that much information. If I had better knowlege of Web programming I'd try to pull the data off that way but I think that would be too time consuming. Any ideas?

Allanorn,

My friend K-nic just writes the coordinates on a small list he keeps in his pocket to keep track of finds and dnf's. He preloads the coordinates into his GPSr before going out searching. Most GPSr's will hold a bunch of waypoints.

Low tech, but works well,

Ruscal

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin & Susan:

Just got a reply to our email from m&m pirates.

Looks like he's legit. Said he'd go check on the cache. We feel much better now. [icon_wink.gif]

K & S

Glad you got the answer yourselves, we seem to be wrapped up here with our upcoming tour of the desert. We don't mean to be rude and ignore outsiders icon_rolleyes.gif

As for me, I have never attempted this cache, or heard of those cachers.

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Parsa:

I always write my coordinates down. Never trust the receiver. I do the following:

1. I write down the full coordinates as they appear on the screen at the location.

2. I then procede to write the fractions of a minute for long' and lat' every 30 seconds. This gives a regular independent variable. It would probably be enough to get six measurements like this, but I usually take a dozen or so. (Often you can tell in six measurements if the coordinates are fairly steady. If they aren't, then I take a dozen or so.) Take the average of these and use that as your set of coordinates.

3. If you come at a different time, you can do it again and average this value with your previous one. This will account better for different satellite positions.

Steve

Sniff...sniff...Yes, Master. icon_wink.gif Decaf for the trip, from there we'll see. BTW - I went out the next day and got the coordinates; thanks to those that offered to help. Steve - will try your method next time. BTW, BTW - the Surf's Back Up cache is gone, will not replace.

I know, I know, you don't have to tell me...

Duscwe!

quote:
Originally posted by Parsa:

Steve

Sniff...sniff...Yes, Master. icon_wink.gif Decaf for the trip, from there we'll see. BTW - I went out the next day and got the coordinates; thanks to those that offered to help. Steve - will try your method next time. BTW, BTW - the Surf's Back Up cache is gone, will not replace.

I know, I know, you don't have to tell me...

Duscwe!

quote:

I will have the 200 cache coordinates closest to the campground downloaded into my GPSr. As well as their webpages downloaded into my Palm Pilot with hints and the last 5 logs. I love paperless caching.

That's what I would like to do. What program do you use to get all of the Web pages and coordinates in the Palm? I also need to know how much memory it uses since I have a lowly 2MB Palm. icon_frown.gif

-- allanorn

Thanks to Night Hunter's last posting, I have also figured out the e-book feature (use Pocket Query feature for Premium Members) and have downloaded 6500 pages of desert cache pages and hints into my Handspring Treo. Didn't even have to burp! Plenty of memory. But lots of pages to flip through!

K-nic & I are planning on leaving from Vista at about 10 am on Friday to head out to the desert. Night Hunter is meeting up with us there, I think. The primary goal (for me at least) is to hit C2C #25 and then backtrack to #24, #12, #23 and maybe even #19 and #20. There are numerous other caches in this general vicinity, but I really want to focus on the C2C caches on Friday so I can log the final cache page. Anyone else game for this Friday itinery?

I have to go back Friday night for some early Saturday morning soccer games, but I plan on coming back out late Saturday morning for the group hikes and the overnight. Will I be able to monitor the radio traffic on those inexpensive little 1-mile 2-way radios that we got to go skiing with, or do we need some fancy expensive radio? Oh, and I am definitely in on any expenses that need to be covered.

C-YA! -FlagMan.

Well, if you saw my set up with the computer, GPSr, cables, etc., you'd think I was a high tech' cacher. However, I found that keeping the cache pages and logs in any kind of electronic format is kind of tedious. Generally, I print out the first page of the cache (or as many needed for the basic cache description). I don't print out logs. (You should still read them before you leave the house though... That would have saved me a lot of trouble, such as at Yaquitepec).

For a two-day caching trip I took down Route 66, I tried 3x5 cards such as I've heard K-nic sometimes uses. I just wrote down the cache name, waypoint number, coordinates, cache container descriptions (ammo box, etc.), hint, and any other really neccesary information. I noted anything from the logs that seemed important. Then dhsundance and I set out, and I just made notes on the cards and placed them at the back of the pile as we did them. It was pretty efficient.

If you use an electronic method, DON'T FORGET TO BRING LOTS OF BATTERIES.

Parsa

quote:

That's what I would like to do. What program do you use to get all of the Web pages and coordinates in the Palm? I also need to know how much memory it uses since I have a lowly 2MB Palm. icon_frown.gif

-- allanorn

Sorry allanorn for my delay in posting

The first thing I do is take my pocket query (if you are not a charter member you will can download caches 20 at a time from the search page.) then I take the GPX file from Geocaching.com and run it through Spinner. Availiable at www.gpxspinner.com. Spinner will create an HTML file for all the caches. Then I take the html file called "index" and run it through Plucker. there is a link to the Plucker site on gpxspinner.com. That makes it readable by my palm.

150 caches takes up about 1.5 MB

All this sound difficult, but there is help on gpxspinner.com and it really only takes about 10 minutes once you get it down.

Good luck, let me know if you need any more help.

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

What I did was to download Mobipocket from the My Chache page on the website. Then I created a pocket query and clicked the radio button to have it send me the file in the ebook format. Then all I do is click on the ebook attachment in the e-mail message and it automatically schedules the cache pages to be uploaded to my PDA the next time I sync. Works pretty well. Mobipockets also seems have a bunch of other options in terms of content to upload (news, sports, etc.). I haven't played around with this yet, but it looks interesting. It all seems to be free, also. -FlagMan.

quote:

quote:

-- allanorn

Sorry allanorn for my delay in posting

The first thing I do is take my pocket query (if you are not a charter member you will can download caches 20 at a time from the search page.) then I take the GPX file from Geocaching.com and run it through Spinner. Availiable at http://www.gpxspinner.com. Spinner will create an HTML file for all the caches. Then I take the html file called "index" and run it through Plucker. there is a link to the Plucker site on gpxspinner.com. That makes it readable by my palm.

150 caches takes up about 1.5 MB

All this sound difficult, but there is help on gpxspinner.com and it really only takes about 10 minutes once you get it down.

Good luck, let me know if you need any more help.

http://members.cox.net/fordest/geocaching

http://members.cox.net/fordest/usacoolflag.gif

OK, I'm getting a little paranoid about the Anza Borrego situation. The lady I talked to over at the park office (Jeri) was very nice. However, she did seem to know about geocaching, and I wonder if they consider it a "problem" to be solved. The letter from the ranger, forwarded to me from admin, suggested "environmental concerns" in relation to geocaching. I agree, there are concerns, but I wrote a nice letter explaining how geocachers are, by and large, very concerned with minimum impact. I sent my letter to Heidi in admin as well.

I'm just hoping the rangers don't have a big meeting and decide to request that all these caches be archived. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be a catalyst for something like that. I'm almost thinking of removing the cache lists from the event page. I'll have the info anyway, as do many of the others I would guess.

Parsa the paranoid

I was told by a park employee about a year ago that Anza Borrego State Park Rangers were aware of the geocaches in the park and that they were basically putting up with them as long as they don't cause any impact to the environment. This employee was also a geocacher.

With that said, I am willing to bet that the concern that was expressed in the letter you received was at least partially due to all of the new caches in and around Blair Valley. The concentration in the area has skyrocketed in the last few weeks and I know that the Rangers consider Blair Valley a sensitive area, particularly in the dry lake bed area. There was only one cache in Blair Valley from early 2001 until the Sea to Sea one went in early this year. Now there are many.

Rocket Man

quote:
Originally posted by x_theory:

Hello all! I'm a fairly new geocacher(24/m) from the La Mesa/SD area that is looking for a team to join. Shortly I will be acquiring a Magellan SporTrak GPSr and have previous land nav experience from my time in the service. Let me know if your interested! icon_smile.gif

HEY X-THEORY!

We would be glad to show you the ropes icon_wink.gif That is if you don't maind hanging out with us crazy birds, and our even crazier Dog Ringo. Just email us anytime you want to go out.

Happy Hunting!!! Watch out travel bugs... here we come.

I plan on being at the campsite Rocket Man suggested above (N 33 02.030 W 116 23.885) by late Friday morning or early Saturday afternoon. I'll be in my ol' mountain goat gray Chevy Astro van and have my telescope, a couple different star and constellation finders and who knows what else along. But I'm not going out there for any organized group event. Nossir, not me. I never even heard anything about any organized group event. Just me. All by my lonesome. Nothing organized about that. Mebbe I'll just happen to run into someone wandering around the desert with one of them satellite thingee watchamacallits - who knows? But if I do, I'm certain we won't be doing anything organized together. Nope. No way. I'm just posting where I'll be so that if'n I get lost or something people will know where to find me - like a good, solitary desert-wandering citizen should do. Yeah, that's the ticket. And mebbe, uh, Morgan Fairchild - whom I know personally - will show up, too. Yeah, Morgan Fairchild.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

Another thing to keep in mind at Blair Valley is that the area is also used by a San Diego Astronomers Club. The club has been very specific about how they treat the area and the Rangers have been making sure that the Club stays on top of things. Such as:

• Vehicles are to park no farther than one car length from the roads.

• No off roading.

• Pack all trash out with you.

• Do not remove any plant or animal life from the area.

There's a lot more on the Club's list but I can't recall them all right now. But since the area caters to astronomy, be considerate with use of bright lights when camping.

--------------------

The Timinator

It's pretty easy to find anything in that area of Blair Valley. The area is pretty open. We won't have trouble finding each other. However, I have a bright red Nissan Xterra with a Route 66 sheild on the back.

I know that the astronomers from Oceanside Photo and Telescope use Little Blair Valley. I think that's true of the Astronomy Club too, but your point is valid. We need to consider the park rules. Don't remove *anything* except your trash. Don't drive *anywhere* except on roads.

Don't have any fire on the ground, only in a container or in a camp stove.

If you see a ranger tell her she looks very pretty in her uniform. Hehe.

Parsa

I will be at Blair Valley, early Friday or Thursday night late. I have a white Honda CRV. There will be three of us. My sons 15 & 22 years, we will be interested in meeting up with other people if they are there at the same time as myself. icon_wink.gif I got a FSR just in case I get lost, boy I hope someone else is around. My sons tell me that I go on too many exploring adventures (in other words I get lost). Boy I have always wanted to go camping in Anza Borrego State Park and a little bird told me that (N 33 02.030 W 116 23.885) was a great place to camp.

HappyFrog

I think that the Splashes said they were bringing a fire pit. I will bring some wood also. I will be driving Mrs. Rocket Man's red Landcruiser and I will also have a small Viking tent trailer. fkrexcal and I will arrive around noon and then head out caching for the afternoon. We may go do Whale peak. Is anyone else interested? We will leave the tent trailer at camp.

Rocket Man

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

I think that the Splashes said they were bringing a fire pit. I will bring some wood also. I will be driving Mrs. Rocket Man's red Landcruiser and I will also have a small Viking tent trailer. fkrexcal and I will arrive around noon and then head out caching for the afternoon. We may go do Whale peak. Is anyone else interested? We will leave the tent

trailer at camp.

Count me in on that Rocketman. Have wanted to do Whale Peak for some time now. If it is very hot, we may want to get a little later start though. Sunset from up there would be cool. What ever you decide, I'll be there.

Russ

Rocket Man