The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I just saw the posts about this. Not sure what was causig the error, but I'm glad Jeremy had some success for you.

As far as posting caches for another cacher... I don't think this will work. Cache ownership is non-editable. You can change the name of the cacher who places it, but the actual ownership of the page is set by the id of the person who posts it, i.e. the email will be directed to the poster regardless of what name you put in there.

If anyone has any problems posting or whatever, feel free to contact me through my profile and I'll do what I can to help you.

Now off to approve the Super Geocache!

The wife (Jenny) and I (Craig) went out to find the "Ye Olde Ellis Cache" this morning. We arrived at the proper place to begin our hike but there was a vehicle backed into the area. Turns out the guy had camped out at the spot overnight (so he said). I began the climb to find the cache and Jenny occupied the "camper" when the resident deputy pulled up in his Expedition. He didn't give us any problems but the "camper" was a little strange. After the deputy left, the guy actually climbed down into the cement cistern with a "HEY!, it looks like someone is living in here" and he came out with a tshirt that had a logo for his father's company on it. I was glad to see him leave but he went west on the road and we later saw him at the end of the road above I-8. All of this was just hours before the rain, lightning and fires today. Never did find the cache but we'll go back when it's cooler and we have more time. Strange fellow though, I'm guessing we found his residence. Someone had been cutting down bunches of poison oak in the area of the cache too.

We got our very first FTF yesterday!We beat T.R. Violin by only 9 minutes! The funny thing is that we didn't even try for it. We saw that it was new, but since we were heading up in the later part of the afternoon... we figured it would have been hit already. We were very suprised when we found the log book empty at Watershed View up past Alpine. icon_biggrin.gif

BTW... our THE SUPER GEOCACHE has been approved, and still does not have a FTF! icon_eek.gif

Happy Hunting!!! Watch out travel bugs... here we come.

That seems to be near the old steel bridge. Is that right? That was where I searched and searched trying to find a missing cache. I love those old bridges. We make truss bridges in my physics class out of wooden coffee stiirers. A well designed bridge weighing only a few grams can hold over 50 kilograms of mass. It's pretty amazing.

Parsa

Does anyone know if there is a cache hidden on the actual peak of Cowles Mountain?

It look like there are a few near by, but not on the actual peak, but I am not sure. I was wondering if I could fit in cache that at least has 1/10 of mile distance (the required minimum distance).

- Bobkat92 & the 3 Bears

"To me, Geocaching is the thrill of the hunt and going to neat places (you might not go otherwise); it's NOT what you actually find in a cache."

quote:
Originally posted by Bobkat92 & the 3 Bears:

Does anyone know if there is a cache hidden on the actual peak of Cowles Mountain?

It look like there are a few near by, but not on the actual peak, but I am not sure. I was wondering if I could fit in cache that at least has 1/10 of mile distance (the required minimum distance).

Here is your answer. The two caches shown on the map are the two closest to the peak.

Cowles.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Bobkat92 & the 3 Bears:

Bobkat92,

There was a cache up there for a long time. It was one of earliest caches placed in San Diego. Unfortunately some hooligans have been playing with it by taking it from its original spot and moving it. I don't think they have GPSes but you never know.

Cowles Mountain original cache.

--- yrium ---

quote:

BTW... our THE SUPER GEOCACHE has been approved, and still does not have a FTF! icon_eek.gif

How about a hint for ol' Duscwe!? I was out there for a good hour the other day. Actually, I'm just testing the discussion board for myself, but still wouldn't say not to a hint icon_wink.gif

Duscwe!

The higher, the fewer!

<HTML>

quote:
Originally posted by Duscwe!:

How about a hint for ol' Duscwe!? I was out there for a good hour the other day. Actually, I'm just testing the discussion board for myself, but still wouldn't say not to a hint icon_wink.gif

Duscwe!

<P>

Hey Duscwe!<BR>

I posted a few more hints on the cache page... icon_rolleyes.gif and I emailed ya too! Good luck in finding it... I sure hope someone does! hahaha! icon_biggrin.gif <BR>

<A

HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=87639"> THE SUPER GEOCACHE </A>

<P>

</HTML>

[This message was edited by three's company on August 31, 2003 at 05:00 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by SUNHOUSE:

So not to many people would be interested in doing a cahce in the water?

SUNHOUSE:

I think it would be a neat idea... a lot of people do kayak (sp?) out there as well as snorkel... but it may also be easily spotted by non-geocachers and taken. I dunno, it might be cool to try it out and see if it works.

The Great San Diego Summer 2003 Cache Bash

Hi Gang,

It is less than a week until our big geocaching picnic and the response has been phenomenal. This is going to be a great chance to meet up with a bunch of local cachers and their families. Things are coming together nicely for the picnic. Here are some of the things that will be happening:

GPS/Compass Course with prizes for the winners.

Get your team/individual photo taken.

Tons of great food to share.

Team Competition on the Park Trails with more great prizes for the winning teams.

More fun than you can shake a stick at.

Splashette, Ruscal and I look forward to seeing you there,

Dave (Rocket Man)

Hey, for those interested, all but one of my Dead End caches have been approved. Number five is pending approval because it is a multi-cache and I need to send in the final coordinates. Hope you guys have fun. Setting caches is fun, but not as fun as finding them...I can't be FTF on my own caches, can I? icon_wink.gif

The higher, the fewer!

Hello All,

I thought this was a discussion board, where's the discussin'? I wanted to show off my new avatar photo, I'm in my retro phase! I'm jonesin' for a FTF, where are all those new caches!!??!!?? Where's a spot in old SD county that needs a cache? What spots have been neglected? Have we gone overboard? Are there too many caches? Have you seen the posts in the Bay Area Disscussion boards, are those cachers bitter, or is it just me? (Many things are just me, ask my wife). Who really likes puzzle caches? I know where to buy altoids for 99 cents! I should stop drinking so much coffee! I'm going caching in the Desert in October, who wants to meet me out there? Now calling my Jeep the Cache-Wrangler.

I hear voices, gotta go! Bye!

Duscwe!

The higher, the fewer!Ultra-Cacher.jpg

wouldn't mind heading out to do some of the sea to sea caches in the desert. perhaps camping out there a night or two. truckhaven could be fun (a least a little cooler).

as for caches....look for one of mine coming soon (just submitted) and two more to show up hopefully this weekend. found some new areas to show off to the gps junkies.

try decaf duscwe!!!

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

OK, this leads in to an idea I've had...

As some of you know, dhsundance, gmaxis, and myself (as well as a few dozen others in LA and Orange County) are Xterra owners who also geocache. We belong to Southern California Club Xterra, and go off-highway riding at least once a month. So many of us cache now that we usually find a few at each "Xcursion."

I was thinking of creating an event cache in which folks would meet at a location, then go 4wd caching together. This would probably be in the cooler months, and would more than likely be in the Anza Borrego (or a similar area).

What do you think?

Parsa

quote:
Originally posted by Parsa:

I was thinking of creating an event cache in which folks would meet at a location, then go 4wd caching together. This would probably be in the cooler months, and would more than likely be in the Anza Borrego (or a similar area).

What do you think?

Parsa

I love your idea Parsa. You can count me in since my two favorite things are off-roading and geocaching. Mrs. Rocket Man's Landcruiser may give your Xterra a run for it's money.

An overnight event cache would be even better. Telling caching stories around a campfire would be a great way to spend an evening.

Rocket Man

Hey Duscwe!

Anytime youi want to go to the desert just holler - I'm always game.

Neglected areas? Anything out I8 east of Jamul. Next time I drive out there I'm gonna have a couple of caches with me and plant them. There are so many great areas right off the interstate crying out for a cache. Also anything from Ramona North and west. I've had a cache just 7 miles north of Ramona for over two months and only one find so far. Anything from Ramona up toward Warner Springs and beyond could use more caches. I think it's a matter of If You Plant Them They Will Come - there aren't enough caches in the area to attract people out there. The stretch of 94 east of Potrero also has nothing, but I'm hoping that will change soon as well. The area around Barrett Lake north of 94 is also wide open.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

Hey! You guys rock! I have the last week of October off. Weather.com says average high is around 85 degrees, not too bad. I'm flogging a jeep wrangler if I didn't mention that. I was planning to do an overnighter, put the idea into my wife's head a couple of months ago and I remind her every couple of days! Added a pic of my new toy for $#!+$ and giggles. jeep.jpg

Duscwe!

The higher, the fewer!

Whoa Whoa Whoa, Take a breath!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

This thread is obviously a little slower than all that.

Now, I think that some areas may be full to capacity in San Diego, but San Diego in general still has a lot of good geocaching potential. For a while there, the new ones were coming out at about 3 new hides to every one of my finds. Of course I'm not Supercacher either.

But about the coffee... maybe a good idea

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

I, Madam, I made radio!! So I dared!! Am I mad?? AM I????

Count us in for a geocaching event in the desert! We don't have 4wd so would love to share a ride. We did manage to take the van to Fonts Point once and our v. old Tempo to Split Mountain where we got stuck in the sand before we knew better.

We even have a cache out at the Salton Sea but you don't need 4wd for that one!!

By the way did anyone get Poison Oak at the recent Bash?

There are caches in the Fish Creek area. Most involve short hikes after parking your rig. Some are drive up. The superstition area has no caches that I am aware of, and could use some hides. The vehicles would have to traverse soft sand to access the Superstition Mountain/hilly area though.

Ruscal

Blair Valley, Fish Creek, Vallecito Creek (Arroyo Tapiado), and many other areas of the Anza Borrego have geocaches. I visited many before I was an "official" geocacher. I was with XSnoopy, and like a dope, I didn't sign any of the log books at that time. I've done a few Anza caches here and there, but they are largely open for me.

Parsa

Originally posted by Parsa:

OK, this leads in to an idea I've had...

What do you think?

Parsa

Great idea! I usually don't need an excuse to go to the desert, but a geocacher campout and expedition would be fun. People could choose between ariving on a Friday night, or leave home early Saturday giving them time to play all day Saturday until campout time. Could get up Sunday and do some morning runs as well.

There are many areas out there with caches, and all areas can use some new hides also. You would have to decide whether a primitive campsite would serve everybody ok, or if access to facilities is desired.

Set it up Parsa!

Ruscal

i think its time to inundate the superstitions with a cache or two. only issue is facilities.....the three women in my family have issues with this facility-less activity. ended up buying a port-a-potty for the tent.

in the justruns off road group, someone always has a motorhome that anyone can use the restroom in....

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

I'm talking to my club about sponsoring it. I know a lot of people like cushy camping, but I'm fine just camping in Blair Valley (or Little Blair Valley which has fewer people). You can actually camp anywhere out there in the desert. I camped solo once way out in a box canyon Jerry Schad called "Star Fish Wash" near the mouth of Fish creek. It was really beautiful and quiet. If we camp in the Blair Valley area, people can also camp fairly close by in one of the developed public or private camps. I don't like bothering with reservations and payments, so I just take a bunch of water and go to a primitive camp. I believe Blair Valley has some pit toilets, but that would be about it. However, if everyone says they want to stay at some place like Tamarisk Grove, I'm OK with that.

What month would people want to go? The winter is cooler, but the nights then are pretty cold. Maybe mid-fall or nearer to spring...

Now... what caches do we go for? I have not done any of the Sea to Sea caches out there, but I know some people have. There are clusters of caches around Agua Caliente, Blair Valley, a lot in the Arroyo Tapiado/Vallecitos area, east of Borrego Springs from Fonts Point to Calcite Mine (along the S to S trail), etc.

Maybe you all can email me a list of the caches you have already done out there in Anza.

parsa9@yahoo.com

My list of Anza finds is actually relatively short:

Trail Mix at Pinyon Mountain

Mine Wash Road Cache

Font's stash-o-goodies

"Camp Ledge" cache

Gecko Gulch - A Pack Rat's High Rise

Welcome to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

High Above the Desert

Foster Point Cache

Grapevine Canyon

All the others I visited are either gone, or I never officially logged them.

So, I'm really open to going anywhere, but I think the Vallecito Creek / Carrizo Creek area is fun to drive.

Parsa

After looking at my Anza-Borrego finds- it appears I've got a lot of work to do.

Ship Rock

Gecko Gulch

Welcome to Anza-Borrego

Mine Wash Road

#21 Coyote Cache

#20 December 26th

Grapevine Canyon

4WD Parking Garage (my own cache)

Ocotillo Wells Caches:

Hey Rocky

Camp W

Ocotillo Wells SVRA #1

I was hoping to do some desert caches around late October and November. A winter run would be cool- I camped around Tamarisk Grove in December and February and never got cold at all. I just don't want to wait that long so I vote for the fall.

Dave

Late October, early November should be cool enough. Ocotillo wells has pit toilets in a couple of areas, and showers at the busy main area. It is good to get away from the crowds to camp, and make short runs into the area where facilities are when needed. Kawikaturn likes to camp at Holmes Camp which is east of the Ocotillo Air strip out in the flats. It has pit toilets. There are hundreds of dirt roads going in all directions in that area. You can go all the way to the Salton Sea to the east or up to Truckhaven to the north or Anza Borrego to the north west. More trails than can be explored in one day. Three of the sea to sea caches can be had from the area, and many others. The caches in the area are generally swag poor, but it's getting there that's the reward. Rocket man's caches are the exception and in a fun scenic area to the west.

Ruscal

I agree with Ruscal that late October or early November is a good time to go. It is not too hot during the day and not too cold at night. I would suggest the weekend of Oct 24th or Nov 8th.

I vote for Blair Valley (or little Blair Valley) for the place to camp. It is a great area, not very crowded and there a lot a good caches close by. It is also very close to scissors crossing, so other sections of the State Park are easily accessible. The Ocotillo Wells area is ok, but it is very crowded, noisy and dusty with lots of the motorcycles and quads all over the place. Even Holmes Camp has this problem.

There is one really cool cache right above the Blair Valley camping area (IMHO - Ha Ha - It is my first cache hide). I placed it with fkrexcal and another guy that was camping there with our group. You can see a picture of Blair Valley on the cache page. It is one of the first 5 caches to ever be placed in Borrego. Here is the list of the first 6:

borrego_oldest.jpg

Bikedog's cache that is close by (#4 on the list), was actually placed the same weekend. We were all there camping with a father/daughter group (Indian Princesses) from the YMCA.

Here is a Topo map of Blair Valley and Little Blair Valley. The camping areas are on either side of the hill that my cache is hidden on (GC46D):

blair_valley_topo.jpg

Here is a map that shows the caches that are around Blair Valley:

blair_valley_caches.jpg

Here is a map that shows the caches in Borrego (Red Dot is Blair Valley):

borrego_caches.jpg

Rocket Man

I was mainly thinking of cache density and scenic considerations. There are a few caches spread around the OHV area (~eight), but there a big concentrations to the north along S22 between Borrego Springs and the Salton Sea. That area (Ocotillo Wells) is the entrance to Fish Creek which takes you to Elephant Knees cache and the three Sandstone cache, but once in there, it's very hard to get up the dropoff to the other ones on the west or south. I've had some 2wd people contact me who want to go, but can't do any stuff that requires 4LO.

I suggested Blair Valley because it gives access to a lot of caches to the east west and south. Developed camps are not far at Agua Caliente and Vallecito County Park (both nice) as well as at Tamarisk Grove. In fact, Agua Calliente is closer to where I think it would be nice to go for a bunch of caches. This area has a lot of historical and scenic locations including, Foot and Walker Pass, Box Canyon Monument, Vallecitos Stage Station, Carrizo Stage Station, Arroyo Tapiado and the Mud caves (really fun), Palm Spring, View of the Badlands and many other sites.

Caches around this general area included:

#19 Stars & Stripes by Sea to Sea Trail Geocaching Challenge

Is it Smoke Oriflamme? by Rocket Man

Above Banner Mine by beeque

Ghost Mountain Educache by fhaist & zhaist

Yaquitepec, Marshal South Home, Ghost Mt, Borrego by bikedog

Looking for the Rainbow by Nat and Raven

Golden Crown by Raven and Steve

Mortero's Mortero's Mortero's by Team Jelly Belly & Leap Frog

Desert Peek-a-boo by Rocket Man, fkrexcal and ArcAtt

#21 Coyote Cache by Sea to Sea Trail Geocaching Challenge

Welcome to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park by Nat

Laura's Memorial Cache by Sempervirens & JP

Trek 1 "The Whale" by kf6cmp,Ms Tron,Fatopo 99

Bud Curtis Memorial/Whale Peak by Steve7fro,The Skipper,& Tracy,

Pinyon Mt. Trail 4WD Cache by JustRuns 4WD Club of San Diego

Trail Mix at Pinyon Mountain by The Jnglkats

Pinyon Mountain by Nat and Steve

Desert Hideaway by jumpy_monkey

Minocqua #1 by rc_glider_guy & the Minocqua tribe

Agua Caliente Springs by steve7fro

Strawberry Ridge by Jelly Belly & Leap Frog

View Of The Badlands by Tuna

Hungry Fox Cache by Bajaja

Overland by Florian

Anza Art Hollows by spblat

Mud Cave Cookie Tin by W9JIM & Curt

Cache Sin Nombre by W9JIM and Curt

Over the Edge by Rocket Man, fkrexcal, Scott and Jim

Overland by Florian

Hollywood & Vine by The Jnglkats

"Mudcave Arroyo View" by gr8fl1 & donger

4WD Need Only Apply by David K

Mica Hill Cache by Dave, Mike & Greg

Sandy's Desert Cache by DesertTeam

Cool Canyon Rainbow Rocks by Jef and Grace

Box Canyon Dos Cache by sdompier

#20 December 26th by Sea to Sea Trail Geocaching Challenge

I hope there are no duplicates here, but this gives you an idea about how many are in the area. Granted, some are many-star caches, while others are easier to get to from a truck. However, there are a lot here to choose from.

As I said, the other area with a lot of caches is along the S-22 east of Borrego Springs (out past Fonts Point). If we did one set on one day, and the other set the next, we could get quite a few caches. Feel free to send a list of the caches you've done, and I'll be able to tell which area most people would like to visit.

Parsa

Geez, in the time between classes when I wrote my post, Rocket Man posted all these cool maps of the same area.

I'll tell you what. We have a bit of time, so I'll make perhaps three day's worth of itineraries for finding caches, and I'll let folks decide what looks good.

Parsa

Agua Caliente is also a good choice. It is a county park and I think reservations are required. Here is their webpage. Here is their fee list. They do have a group (Caravan) area, but I don't know how many people they take. It may be hard to get reservations at this late date, but I did not check. The advantage of Agua Caliente, is that it is an official campground with all the amenities.

At Blair Valley, there are pit toilets near the entrance at the road, and that's it. The advantage is that it is free, there are no reservations required and group size does not matter. The dirt road to the camping area is good enough for a tent trailer or camper. I usually bring my tent trailer.

Here is the location of Agua Caliente (Blue Dot) relative to Blair Valley (Red Dot) with caches shown:

agua_caliente_blair_valley.jpg

Here is a topo of Agua Caliente:

agua_caliente_topo.jpg

Rocket Man

Had told Duscwe! this when he started the ball rolling, but wanted to throw it out there for the group:

I'm interested in participating but don't have a 4WD. On the other hand, I've driven my Chevy Astro van up to Smuggler's Cave, Rose Quartz Mine, Kitchen Creek, Opal Hill Mine, and all over the Cargo Muchachos, Chocolate mountains, etc. etc. - basically anywhere other than strictly and obviously 4WD only passes. I'd be glad to use the van as a mule for the trip - toss all the gear in the van and leave it at camp while exploring the more inaccessible areas. I'd just need to buddy up with someone for the cache runs. Don't know yet for sure if The Wife would be able to come along. Does that sound doable?

Peace,

Radical Geezer