The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Lorenzo's Gold and Ammunition Sgt Cox! have been replaced. There are new hints for both caches.

Lua's cache has a temporary replacement thanks to another cacher. I tried to replace it yesterday, but there were hundreds of people around (due to a graduation ceremony).

I had a good caching day yesterday. I found four caches solo, then another three with Lua. We then hiked to Lorenzo's and Sgt Cox and replaced them. Sgt Cox has five of my Route 66 compilation CDs.

Parsa

quote:
Originally posted by Bakahead:

Oh on a side note..this is for Yrium who I've yet to have the pleasure of meeting..Dam you man..Stop entering bills on wheresgeorge..how can I pass you if you keep getting hits!! LOL!!

~Bakahead

Ranked 25th in CA on WheresGeorge..

Yrium..You're mine!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Bakahead,

Here's the note I entered for the last 40 bills put into the Wheresgeorge system.

Geogeorger Bakahead has called me out! He wants to take over my position in the state rankings. Thanks for entering this bill and spoiling his nefarious scheme.

Seriously tho, I looked at your profile and you've entered a couple of thousand more bills than I have. I'm guessing you'll be infront of me in a month or two.

See ya on the trail,

--- yrium ---

Nefarious...LOL Good one..had to look it up! icon_wink.gif Hehe..nah just kidding anyways..if I don't pass you it's no biggy..I'm just glad I'm on the first page! Has taken me about a year to get where I am..and I've had a blast doing it..thought ahem..my friends all think I'm crazy but they're used to it now. They now ask "me" if I have any George bills..same with my family..esp Dad, he's always like you have any marked bills?! Back in Feb & March I went crazy and marked up some 2500 bills or so..but now I'm a bit burnt out from all that enter, mark & spend! Now I just mark what I have in my wallet..no buying 100 $1 bills every nite! LOL...

An one day maybe we'll meet on the trail..

~Bakahead

Just returned from Dem Bonz Revenge - a truly outstanding cache near Indian Flats outside of Warner Springs...and I'm a bit puzzled. I was the first to find this cache since September of last year, and in the past two years only two people (including myself) have been there. With the amount of activity I've been seeing in the San Diego area since I began geocaching in early June, I'm wondering why there has been so little traffic in this area. I was planning on placing a cache in the Chihuahua Valley area near the Blue Lady Mine, which is another dozen miles or so northeast of Dem Bonz, but I'd hate to place a cache where it would get so little traffic. I placed one north of Ramona last month and it's only had one visit to date. Is there a reason why SD cachers don't go north? There's lots of wide open and attractive possibilities up that way.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

Well, originally July 12 was a possibility, but we had problems finding a spot, then we went on vacation for a week. In talking with other cachers, our thinking is that after labor day in Sept. would probably be better. People would be back from vacation and more would be able to attend. How about the weekend after Labor Day?

If there isn't a good North County Park available w/o having to pay a big fee, there's always El Monte Park in Lakeside (2.00 entrance fee) or back to Kit Carson in Escondido

Any thoughts??

Splashette

Radical Geezer,

Sometimes the remote caches don't get much traffic. I've hiked in that area before but PG (pre-geocaching). Someday I'll make it up there. My Nissan Xterra club placed a cool cache in Rockhouse Canyon in Anza, but the one and only visitor was in February of 2002!

Yes, People tend to cache where the live first, and then move out from there. Finding caches in more remote areas if they happen to be in the area, or if they are involved in the sport long enough to exaust thier local, easier caches first. Many people start geocaching and then they taper off. Not everybody makes it an obsession (like the people that actually read the forums. We are obviously addicted). Therefore the easy (and/or more local) ones get a lot of hits by people with under 20 finds. When the super out of the way caches get up to around 10 finds, you will find that the majority of the cachers will have over 50 finds.

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

I, Madam, I made radio!! So I dared!! Am I mad?? AM I????

Thanks for the input, Parsa & Night Hunter. I guess I was thinking about it from the perspective of my other and long-standing obsession with rockhounding - I'm used to heading out to the mountains, desert, etc. on the spur of the moment just to scratch in the dirt for weird rocks, so doing it to scratch in the dirt for weird boxes has just been a natural extension of something I've been doing for a long time. Well, all I can say is that those who don't tackle the out of the way places are really missing something - and they'll probably be missing a number of my future caches, because I plan on putting some in some pretty remote areas. The wife and I are right now putting together another theme cache, and this one will probably be going up somewhere around the Blue Lady Mine. The great thing about it is that since it's going to be in such a seldom traveled area we're planning on doing a 5 gallon container for the next one - we should really be able to cram some goodies into that! Meanwhilst I've been eyeing the Thimble mountain cache out in Anza Borrego and wondering when the weather will be reasonable enough for me to tackle that one [icon_wink.gif].

Guess that also explains why I've felt the difficulty ratings on some caches have seemed a bit extreme - I'm just used to slogging through that kind of terrain as a matter of course. Hmmmm - this all leads me to wonder - has anyone ever encountered a rockhound cache...a cache containing nothing but mineral specimens? Now there's an idea! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by radical geezer:

Hmmmm - this all leads me to wonder - has anyone ever encountered a rockhound cache...a cache containing nothing but mineral specimens? Now there's an idea! icon_biggrin.gif

While the actual cache is not themed, and the contents are not all miniral specimens, Mica Mine Cache is Rockhound related. This cache is in a neat location with a lot of area to explore.

I think a themed one would be great, especially if people could find thier stones before finding the cache.

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SunSpot:

Okay...I'm reading the logs and everyone is meeting up by chance at these caches! I've never seen another cacher, but I'm on the lookout!

I have met a few cachers while hunting for caches, but you are most likely to bump into a cacher if you race out to find a cache on the first day that it shows up on the website. It can be a challenge to be FTF (First to Find) in this area with the likes of K-NIC, Ruscal, kawikaturn, missmarbles, geojim1, SlabyFam (to name a few) champing at the bit for new caches. Get to a cache early in the morning when it is posted and you may find these fine folks stumbling over each other.

If you really want to meet some geocaching folks, show up at the next event cache and your will meet more cachers that you can shake a stick at. When are we having the next event cache anyway?

RM

Guess my experience has been the exception, but on my first four cache attempts I ran into at least one other cacher on each one. Haven't run into so many since then, but then I've been meeting many people just as goofy as I am here in the forum and in the logs.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

No, I'm not obsessive - I'm really not. I've met many obsessive people, but I'm not one of them, nosiree. Don't believe anyone who tells you I'm obsessive, because they're wrong, wrong wrong. I'm not obsessive. Am not am not am not.

Am not.

Re: Picnic Info

Ruscal and I are actually working on the picnic, vacations and geocaching keeps getting in the way.. How about Sept. 6 for a date?? It's the weekend after Labor Day and hopefully everyone will be home. Ruscal is working on a North County spot and if that doesn't work out,it will be in East County, either Kit Carson again or El Monte Park in Lakeside because it allows dogs.

Again, give us your input and preferences. Obviously we can't please everyone, but we all go all over to cache anyway, so location shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Splashette

September 6th works great for me. You can count me in. Back in my Nation Chief days in the Y-Guide programs, I did group events at San Dieguito County Park and Stagecoach Park. I also set up a picnic for my company at Felicita Park. They all charge for large groups, but they are all good venues. Wherever it ends up being, you can count on me to help out.

I suggest we start a new thread just for the picnic. This thread has gotten way to long.

Rocket Man

Hi there--

Is anyone else finding the geocaching.com site to be incredibly slow lately? I even have roadrunner, and when I hit the "see all logs" or "decrypt" buttons, I have to walk away and do some chores, and maybe by the time I come back, the page has loaded...

What is the easiest/best way to find out about new caches in our area? I usually just search by zip code and look for the "new" icon, but is there a better way?

Thanks,

Lisa from Team SunSpot

Hi Lisa, yes it is very slow lately. I assume they are still changing things around. I am hoping that the speed will be fixed with all the newness.

Yep, that's about the fastest way to do it that I know of. You can also put in coodinates for your home coordinates, on your account options, then you only have to click one link from your "My Cache Page". You will be able to search all caches from that spot, or you can filter out your finds/hides.

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SunSpot:

What is the easiest/best way to find out about new caches in our area?

Lisa from Team SunSpot

Lisa & Night Hunter,

I like you guys so I'm gonna fill you in on a little known secret. You can get email notification whenever a cache in your area is approved. There is a geocacher back east by the name of SKYDIVER that wrote a little app that he runs on his site that looks to see if a new cache has been approved. If it finds one it then notifies all the people in that cache's area who have signed up for notification.

Check out Skydiver's cache alert

Anyone else thinking of doing a night run to Addi's Fun Times cache that was just posted?

--- yrium ---

Cat's out of the bag now! I'll probably never get another first find.

>>>>>>>>>There is a geocacher back east by the name of SKYDIVER that wrote a little app that he runs on his site that looks to see if a new cache has been approved. If it finds one it then notifies all the people in that cache's area who have signed up for notification.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

yrium!

So THAT'S the secret!

You've been holdin' out on us!

:-)

Tuna

in Phoenix today, where it is only 114 degrees...

quote:
Originally posted by Tuna:

yrium!

So THAT'S the secret!

You've been holdin' out on us!

Tuna!

Nice to see you post. I've been afraid you were going to go to were ever Monteverde, jnglkat, Stork, Mark71mark, and that nut Shoeless Joe have gone to. We're going to need a retirement home for the San Diego Geocachers who have dropped out.

As far as holding out goes... I have to admit I felt like I was giving away proprietary secrets! Good thing I never worked for KFC or eveybody would know the 11 herbs and spices and they'd be out of business.

--- yrium ---

I feel the need to vent a little...If you don't mind... I emailed geocaching.com about creating a traveling cache that has a TB tag attached, for mapping its travels. I was advised, by Jeremy, that traveling caches are no longer alowed... He then replied that you can however, turn a TB into a cache that travels from cache-to-cache. So... I bought a TB tag and spent a bunch of money making an evil bug container for.... "IT... Parasite Cache". It would go from cache to cache feeding off of the swag (just one small item). Only the first hider would get the privilege of finding the cache in its own hiding spot. After that find it would travel from cache to cache, like a TB. So, I created a cache page and a TB page. Finder gets to log a TB and a cache... I thought it was a good idea. Never got approved! Geocaching.com archived it... I dunno' I'm just a little bummed... Back to 8" tupperware and happy meal toys I guess...

Out...

Since traveling caches aren't being approved anymore, unfortunately they won't let you have a cache page for it. BUT, you can of course put a TB on a small container and simply have it be a travel bug... with contents. They can't deny you the travel bug, and people can log it as such. Go ahead with the idea! It'll be fun.

We logged "50 State Traveler," a bug that used the concept you describe (created before traveling caches were halted), and to be honest, the bug half of the concept worked WAY better than the cache half -- people logged the bug just fine, but could rarely be persuaded to log the cache page properly.

I hope you release the bug.

Latitude 32... I love that idea. I had a similar thought when I was planning my TBs. Instead I went with Heeeeeeere's Johnny. Lame that it never was approved! icon_frown.gif Perhaps it's just the fact that it was also a cache? You can have the same aspect, but it would just log like a TB. I dunno.

-Three's Company

(first log on SD Thread) icon_eek.gif

Happy Hunting!!! Watch out travel bugs... here we come.

Well after watching this thread for a few days I think it's time for me to introduce myself and say hello. I logged my first cache this past Wednesday and I'm hooked. I plan on doing more this weekend, weather permitting.

I'm also scoping out locations for a possible new cache. Since I live in North County, I'm aiming for someplace North of Vista and South of Temecula. Seems to be a minimal amount of caches there.

Also, since I'm a programmer, I'm also developing an application for Palm OS to aid in finding caches.

Anyway, greetings.

I am also kinda new here. Got myself then the family involved a few months ago. We are now obsessed icon_biggrin.gif!

Terminator, I use a Handspring with a GPS Companion which I got together on ebay for $99 a few months back. It's a little bulkier than most GPS's.

I mostly use Cetus GPS software. The NavCompanion software has a couple of features the Cetus doesn't so I use it sometimes as well.

Cheers,

Marc

Noticed you guys have a pretty active group so I thought I would give this a try.

I'm going to be headed your way on July 26 to about the 10th of Aug. and was wondering if some of you had any ideas about some good caches in the area. I'll be staying in Mira Mesa on Flanders just west of Camino Ruiz. Looking to hit some between margaritas at Bazzar Del Mundo. Any suggestions? Not looking for 5 terrain or difficulty. 1's and 2's but not multi waypoints. Am I sounding picky yet? Just would like to hear some of your favorites and any dangers involved. That snake in Dallas freaked me out pretty good.

Thanks in advance and be on the lookout because you may be visited by Sassquatch.

Sassquatch,

Hi. You'll be near a lot of caches in Los Penasquitos canyon.

Here's the name and number of one cache, then you can do a search on the page for nearest caches:

Rasmi's Hollow GCC9DD

N 32° 55.964

W 117° 10.047

The canyon and the adjacent Lopez Canyon are very nice. Just watch the poison oak.

There are also caches in or near Balboa Park, in the zoo, the Wild Animal Park, and Sea World.

Parsa

Thanks for the reply Parsa. I will admit I was hoping for a warmer reception than 1 reply. If you head to Oregon, the birthplace of geocaching we customarily give everything from hotels to pubs to caches. As well as a welcome to Oregon geocaching webpage. Are there really caches in Seaworld? Don't think I'll do any night caching in Balboa Park though. Anyway I guess I'll do some searching on my own. Thanks again Parsa

OK - from a relative caching newbie and long time San Diegenite

-for non-cache entertainment in that area:

Callahans on Mira Mesa Blvd for a pub

Tio Leos in Mira Mesa for good Mexican food and Marqies...

=========================

Seaworld is a virtual ->

Seaworld Cache

TomBombadil79

[This message was edited by TomBombadil on July 21, 2003 at 02:54 PM.]

San Diego is so extremely cache-dense that you can hardly avoid the things. Penasquitos Canyon, as Parsa recommended, can provide a nice round trip with a whole bunch of caches and some great scenery. Maddi's Funhouse, one of the caches there, is near a neat little waterfall. But you really can't go wrong, no matter where you go in the county.

The biggest hazard is probably going to be poison oak; make sure you know what it looks like. Three leaflets and all that. Snakes are a possibility, but just use caution -- carry a stick, send it ahead of you into questionable areas, don't trample through grassy areas unnecessarily, watch those sunny rocks. As long as you're not frolicking heedlessly about, you should be fine.

quote:
Originally posted by radical geezer:

Ditto Night Hunter's post, Yrium. It was really great of you to give us all the heads up. That's one of the things I've enjoyed so much about geocaching - I'm meeting some really fantastic people!

Peace,

Radical Geezer

You guys are welcome, We can't have Night Hunter continuing to use his broom handle to hike with. Think about it... Sometime, Somewhere, there's a poor janitor down on his hands and knees sweeping the floor by holding the broom head directly, all the time mumbling to himself "Curse you Night Hunter!".

--- yrium ---

I placed a few caches in North County. I hope you can pay a visit. icon_biggrin.gif

There will be a few in Daley Ranch, and you're welcome to place a few more on other named trails. icon_wink.gif

Remember though that the big roads get a border mowing treatment like in Marian Bear Park... 25 feet or so.

Parsa