The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

If you upload a cache either singly or in a PQ, is there any reason for the coords shown on the GPS to be different than the coords on the website cache page? I have an Oregon where the cache pages are loaded to the unit. I did a puzzle cache where you were supposed to enter the published coords and the cache would open. When I entered the coords off the cache page on the GPSr, the cache wouldn't open so I assumed the cache was not functioning properly. I wrote the cache owner and he asked what coords I entered. I looked up the coords on the Oregon and then looked at the cache page on the website out of curiousity to see if they were the same and saw that it was one digit off - 645 on the GPSr and 644 on the website. How does this happen? The cache owner denied my request to log it as a found because the numbers were different. Supposedly, he had not updated the coords since I uploaded. I'm baffled! Help!!

Sorry if I asked this on the wrong thread.

Didn't your muggle husband give you that GPSr? I'll bet he rigged it to drive you crazy... :signalviolin:

See what I've been saying about that Commie Pinko Reviewer guy?

a9f5fa1e-2b60-4a9d-bad9-3a7860fa9fe8.jpg

Look at his steely eyes, you can see right through them into his hard-hearted self.

Yeah, a real cold-hearted bastard for sure... I found this old picture of of a very young Marko in the Lithuanian archives...

f138c428-f3cb-496b-aa12-31033015acad.jpg

Love the suit. Does it come with a three inch wide white belt?

If you upload a cache either singly or in a PQ, is there any reason for the coords shown on the GPS to be different than the coords on the website cache page? I have an Oregon where the cache pages are loaded to the unit. I did a puzzle cache where you were supposed to enter the published coords and the cache would open. When I entered the coords off the cache page on the GPSr, the cache wouldn't open so I assumed the cache was not functioning properly. I wrote the cache owner and he asked what coords I entered. I looked up the coords on the Oregon and then looked at the cache page on the website out of curiousity to see if they were the same and saw that it was one digit off - 645 on the GPSr and 644 on the website. How does this happen? The cache owner denied my request to log it as a found because the numbers were different. Supposedly, he had not updated the coords since I uploaded. I'm baffled! Help!!

Sorry if I asked this on the wrong thread.

I've observed this on occasion. Usually it is not an issue since your search radius is larger than a thousandth of a minute. But occasionally, it is a problem. As you have experienced.

There could be several things going on and I haven't narrowed the culprit down, but I suspect that the problem is a accumulation of error in handling coordinate conversions.

Here, for example, is how coordinates look when you downloaded them from geocaching.com (in a GPX file):

<wpt lat="34.053417" lon="-112.144667">

(This is cache I found in Arizona on my road trip a couple weeks ago...)

Note that it's not in the decimal minutes form that we are all used to when we read the cache page. It's in decimal degrees. Somewhere under the hood, the coords displayed on the website are converted when they go into the GPX file. And they get converted again (back into decimal minutes) when the GPX file is downloaded into the Oregon. But a problem can occur because sometimes the conversion from one form to another isn't perfect. If this happens, the last digit will be rounded up or down.

And then, when the next conversion happens, again, it also isn't perfect. But instead of the number being rounded the opposite way as before (which would restore the correct value), it gets rounded the same way and instead of getting 644, you get 645 in your GPSr.

As for the cache owner, anyone who refuses the honor the find based on a difference of a thousandth of a minute is...well, probably better if I didn't say what I think of him or her.

Perhaps you can ask Marko to have some of his Lithuanian buddies to lean on him/her...

Thanks, James! That makes sense.....I knew I could depend on my super smart caching friends for an explanation. :signalviolin:

CONFESSION and NEED SOME HELP to make this right!!!!!

Back in 2005, I travelled from SD to NJ, where I found a TB named Panda Paul ,TBK7VN, placed by Photobug6570. His mission was to visit the baby panda at the San Diego zoo. With great intentions, I took the bug planning to get it to the zoo when I got home to SD. Well, job, transportation, health problems and you name it stopped me from caching and then I lost the little guy before I could at least hand him off to someone. Five years later, I'm getting ready to move to Indiana, and while packing, what do I come across? Little Panda Paul. We are scrambling to move on Wednesday and it would be a shame to have this guy sit in a dark corner of a closet for 5 years and not get to see the zoo.

I won't have time to find a local cache to place him and would hate to have to have him go all the way back to Indiana with me after travelling so far! I live in Carlsbad and would really appreciate it if a local cacher would agree to grab this guy from me to either place in a local cache or even take him to the zoo!

We are leaving on Wednesday, so time is important-- please help Paul and help me clear my conscience :))

Thanks!

Kama Raga

CONFESSION and NEED SOME HELP to make this right!!!!!

Back in 2005, I travelled from SD to NJ, where I found a TB named Panda Paul ,TBK7VN, placed by Photobug6570. His mission was to visit the baby panda at the San Diego zoo. With great intentions, I took the bug planning to get it to the zoo when I got home to SD. Well, job, transportation, health problems and you name it stopped me from caching and then I lost the little guy before I could at least hand him off to someone. Five years later, I'm getting ready to move to Indiana, and while packing, what do I come across? Little Panda Paul. We are scrambling to move on Wednesday and it would be a shame to have this guy sit in a dark corner of a closet for 5 years and not get to see the zoo.

I won't have time to find a local cache to place him and would hate to have to have him go all the way back to Indiana with me after travelling so far! I live in Carlsbad and would really appreciate it if a local cacher would agree to grab this guy from me to either place in a local cache or even take him to the zoo!

We are leaving on Wednesday, so time is important-- please help Paul and help me clear my conscience :))

Thanks!

Kama Raga

I am just the guy for you. shoot me an email and we can hook up.

Howdy all,

salivating over the new Garmin GPSMap 62s has led us to put one on hold at REI. Dillon Mom says we have to sell the GPSMAP 60cs to help with the purchase. We have the City Select Streets for North America that is unlocked for that gps and Garmin topo maps also for it as well. if you are interested in a great gps, drop us an email or if you know the life line give a call.

Going to be on Coronado Island for a few days. Any must find caches on the island that we should try to go for?

Thanks in advance,

-ericb34

Tomb Raider :)

Otherwise, rent a bicycle and head south on the Strand, aka Silver Strand Blvd, aka Hwy 75.

I don't think Tomb Raider is a good choice if you're caching ON Coronado, but the Strand is nice.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to geocaching, and have been enjoying searching around UCSD for treasures. I did notice, however, that many of the UCSD caches mention free parking on weekends. Unfortunately this is no longer true.

UCSD now charges for parking on weekends at the same rates as during the week. I believe parking is still free from 11pm-7am daily.

All the best,

Ellienihon

Hello everyone,

I'm new to geocaching, and have been enjoying searching around UCSD for treasures. I did notice, however, that many of the UCSD caches mention free parking on weekends. Unfortunately this is no longer true.

UCSD now charges for parking on weekends at the same rates as during the week. I believe parking is still free from 11pm-7am daily.

All the best,

Ellienihon

Wow, I'm surprised to find out that this somewhat true. Enforcement was supposed to start July 1 but hasn't yet and after talking with the parking office they didn't know when enforcement would begin. The web site has yet to indicate the change. This web page clearly shows that weekends are still free.

For Nuvi owners that have not heard, Garmin has issued a recall of certain 200W, 250W, 260W & 7XX; all are wide screen Nuvi's.

On the upside, you'll get a new battery. Kinda nice as the Nuvi batteries can only be replaced by Garmin.

Input your serial # here.

On the downside, you'll be deprived of the use of your Nuvi for a couple of weeks.

I've got one of the affected units. I've printed out the RMA shipping label, but haven't sent it back yet. So if you see a flaming Prius, it might be me... :laughing:

For Nuvi owners that have not heard, Garmin has issued a recall of certain 200W, 250W, 260W & 7XX; all are wide screen Nuvi's.

On the upside, you'll get a new battery. Kinda nice as the Nuvi batteries can only be replaced by Garmin.

On the downside, you'll be deprived of the use of your Nuvi for a couple of weeks.

I've got one of the affected units. I've printed out the RMA shipping label, but haven't sent it back yet. So if you see a flaming Prius, it might be me... :laughing:

Flaming Prius? James, not you of all the manly-man

Geocachers in our county. Say it isn't so.

I've got one of the affected units. I've printed out the RMA shipping label, but haven't sent it back yet. So if you see a flaming Prius, it might be me... :P

I thought all Prius' were a little "flaming.." :laughing:

I've got one of the affected units. I've printed out the RMA shipping label, but haven't sent it back yet. So if you see a flaming Prius, it might be me... :rolleyes:

Flaming Prius? James, not you of all the manly-man

Geocachers in our county. Say it isn't so.

:)

Glad to hear that my 205W is OK...

Hi,

I am new to geocaching in the san diego, I live in the O.B area, anyone have any good places to start that has lots of hiking or bouldering?

Welcome to Geocaching, Mission Trails Park Has every thing you are looking for. Plus a whole bunch of Caches.

I second this recommendation!

For sure ... start with the Adrenaline cache.

Greetings and salutations from West Texas!

Yes, I've been away for a while, especially from caching. I've been absorbed in work and my 'it-might-get-done-this-year' puzzle. It was great seeing everyone at GW.

I'm thinking about putting my puzzle through a test run here in TX, even though the mountains up here are laced with unexploded artillery shells from artillery training back during WW2.

I've gotten rather overzealous with my puzzle, I will admit. It went from being a simple single-series one-level logic puzzle to an eight-series five-level codebook-encrypted multiple-value matrix puzzle that took me six months of work to get right. I'm pretty sure only TT and TPB could solve this one by themselves. And I still have to write the cobdebooks for each of the series. And I came up with a hide method that can only be described as smugly sadistic. Finally, I came up with a coin-based rank system for people who finish different series. I got really into it for a while, needless to say.

Anyway, I am wanting to get my puzzle out there for people to start trying to solve. And working to get it closer to getting it done

All that aside, how is everyone doing?

Hey everyone,

I mainly geocached in Imperial County on desert trips, but I just started logging my finds and seaching near my home, I just moved near SDSU, but I have no clue what the geocacheing is like in more populated areas with people commonly in the areas. Any opinions?

Well, as for the urban caches, you'll have to try some, and then after you decide what you like, you'll probably end up picking and choosing and only doing the ones that you think you'll like. There are so many urban caches you just can't do them all. Not far from you is Mission Trails and that place is littered with great hikes and caches. I'd recommend that.

Hey everyone,

I mainly geocached in Imperial County on desert trips, but I just started logging my finds and seaching near my home, I just moved near SDSU, but I have no clue what the geocacheing is like in more populated areas with people commonly in the areas. Any opinions?

Well, as for the urban caches, you'll have to try some, and then after you decide what you like, you'll probably end up picking and choosing and only doing the ones that you think you'll like. There are so many urban caches you just can't do them all. Not far from you is Mission Trails and that place is littered with great hikes and caches. I'd recommend that.

:laughing: Urban caching can be fun..just ask Harmon. Just remember what John is always telling me: "Everyone plays the game differently. What is fun for one might not be fun for another. Your great hide might seem lame to some one else. Not everyone can hike a mountain like Fisnjack or climb a tree. Not everyone has a JEEP or a bike or an addicted spouse". The greatness of geocaching is that there is something for everyone.

My favorite log of the week....

October 12 by Ol' Mossback (1683 found)

I gotta get the hang of this night caching thing. I walked splat-dead-center into a huge pile of dog crap near the cache. You can probably still see where I slip'n'slided in the dark, grasping for branches and anything above ground to prevent my gravitation towards the odoriferous landmine. I managed to avoid the whiffy wad until I found the cache, then I happened to daftly march right into it a second time!!! That's right....#2!!Aaaaarrghghgh!! I was convinced I was on funniest home videos at this point. I signed a close second-place behind my favorite lithuanian submarine skipper and kissed this place goodbye!!. Thanks again for throwin some caches down in the hood TC!!

:grin:

Harmon....call in the Sock Police!

550b010c-87f9-487b-bec3-ee6e45f53abb.jpg

Flagrant violation ...

5a73feb0-950a-4440-99bf-a4f7d48105b4.jpg

A case of going too far with women and children present.

Sgt. Seymour Argyle has been assigned to investigate a tip that

performance-enhancing socks were being worn at this Geocaching

event. That's a clear violation of the third kind: Sartorial right-wing

conservatism and ankle-support for the closet John Birchers of the

Southern California Sun-Tea Party.

According to Sgt. Argyle - "This sort of public display has no place

in a civilized society. Where does it stop? Next thang y' know it'll

be yeller tube socks!"

Edited by SD Rowdies

Garmin has released a new Geocaching device called a "Chirp" which is a type of a beacon that will send messages to certain Garmin devices (Oregons, Colorados, etc.). Groundspeak has embraced this technology and the rules of deployment can be found here: Miss Jenn's post in the Technology forum...

Just thought y'all might wanna take a look!!

Chirp is the first-generation design, wait until you see the 3G version

called Hissy-fit that, when you approach the hide, makes a container

jump up and down and start shouting "Over here! Over here!"

By the way, something I wonder about, have any of you GeoDawg owners

trained your dog to sniff-out cache containers for you? If not why not?

Seems like a useful thing to do if coupled with snake-avoidance training.

To state an obvious point the command would be "Find" not "Fetch."

Edited by SD Rowdies

Garmin has released a new Geocaching device called a "Chirp" which is a type of a beacon that will send messages to certain Garmin devices (Oregons, Colorados, etc.). Groundspeak has embraced this technology and the rules of deployment can be found here: Miss Jenn's post in the Technology forum...

Oh wow ... I'm waiting for the 3G version. Hopefully, it will come with apps, too! Thanks Harmon, ol' buddy!

Oh wow ... I'm waiting for the 3G version. Hopefully, it will come with apps, too!

Thanks Harmon, ol' buddy!

My gosh, a response on the Geocaching Forum ... what a surprise.

Yes, lots of work already going into Hissy-fit Apps. The first one parallels

Facebook Apps like Farmville and Mafiaville. It sells your Facebook UID along

with your full name and other personal information to marketing agencies for

profit. Don't miss out on that feature ... it's a big hit on Facebook. Keep in

mind that on Facebook for-profit corporations are your Friend." Be sure to

click the Like button.

Note to Self: Can 500-million people be wrong? ... you be'cha.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Oh wow ... I'm waiting for the 3G version. Hopefully, it will come with apps, too!

Thanks Harmon, ol' buddy!

My gosh, a response on the Geocaching Forum ... what a surprise.

Yes, lots of work already going into Hissy-fit Apps. The first one parallels

Facebook Apps like Farmville and Mafiaville. It sells your Facebook UID along

with your full name and other personal information to marketing agencies for

profit. Don't miss out on that feature ... it's a big hit on Facebook. Keep in

mind that on Facebook for-profit corporations are your Friend." Be sure to

click the Like button.

Note to Self: Can 500-million people be wrong? ... you be'cha.

I'm waiting for the "Blinky"... Or even better, the combo... the "Blirp"

Harmon Ol' Pal-

Why in the world do we need to be trained for that? When we have our two legged Sherpas trained to do it for us.

While we are enjoying ourselves chasing rabbits, getting burrs in our hair, gathering ticks for later, etc., our ever-faithful friends

Find the cache, log us in (no opposable thumbs for holding the pen) and rehide the cache.

Harmon Ol' Pal-

Why in the world do we need to be trained for that? When we have our two legged Sherpas trained to do it for us.

While we are enjoying ourselves chasing rabbits, getting burrs in our hair, gathering ticks for later, etc., our ever-faithful friends

Find the cache, log us in (no opposable thumbs for holding the pen) and rehide the cache.

Thanks for the clarification. Now there's one-less

thing my pillow can nag me about.

Woof-woof,

Harmon

Harmon Ol' Pal-

Thanks for the clarification. Now there's one-less

thing my pillow can nag me about.

Woof-woof,

Harmon

Too funny...Chelsea totally agrees with Piglet!

Snoring, do you hear snoring???

That's Chelsea, but you should ignore her snoring...she had a rough 1-mile hike today! :rolleyes: