The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hey, I see the survey is yielding results! Starting May 2nd PQ's will contain 1000 caches instead of 500. :P

Hooray! Now you don't have to use two PQs to get all the caches for a 24 hour power trail record attempt!

:laughing::blink:;)

Gosh, did I miss a record attempt? :lol:

Yep! I was going for a new record of 780 caches found in a 24 hour period. It was close but I didn't quite make it. I was 769 caches short of the mark.

I probably shouldn't have slept in...

Somebody finally got through to the Marketing Department...

e6225804-a98f-4c9d-8b55-764d4c0cad3f.jpg

My gosh, it's on a card that you can just hang in a bush.

I like the bright-red print ... easy to see inside a bush.

Look out Kwvers!, here I come!

Boy howdy!

0b7cd2dd-38df-4f36-bc42-75c0844cbd2a.jpg

That key-cache thang is a winner. My ship has finally

come it find-count wise. I can see it now, the death

of them danged Bison tubes.

Hale, if a bird can find 'em ... I got a chance.

Now if we can just get Jodi t' th'o away that bale of

plastic leaves she's always a usin'. Cain't b'lieve that

ol' gal ... Bison tubes ain't bad enough but what she's

gotta wrap 'em in plastic leaves t' hang 'em in a bush.

Now that John's undeployed maybe he can straighten

that ol' gal out. On th' other hand I 'spose she's bein'

all "leany" with him now that he's home so he'll cave

in right away.

Edited by SD Rowdies

So how is my little baby doing... seems to be quite grown up... and the the usual suspects are still hanging around? wow nice...

Howdy all?

Night Hunter

Your thread is doing pretty well I'd say ... 14,807 posts.

What surprises me about Forum threads is that not many

new people check in even though it's obvious that a lot

of people do look in on the posts, many from all around

the world.

At any rate it's good to see your post.

Harmon

So how is my little baby doing... seems to be quite grown up... and the the usual suspects are still hanging around? wow nice...

Howdy all?

Night Hunter

Hey, Sean, how's it goin'? Good to see you checking in. I see you just logged some caches out in Santee that you found last summer. Does that mean you're back in the game? Lemme know if you wanna do some caching/hiking. Might need a refresher course on urban micros and power trails, though. They're all the rage these days!! :huh:

Howdy all?

Night Hunter

Hey, Sean, how's it goin'? Good to see you checking in. I see you just logged some caches out in Santee that you found last summer. Does that mean you're back in the game? Lemme know if you wanna do some caching/hiking. Might need a refresher course on urban micros and power trails, though. They're all the rage these days!! :huh:

Power trail? ... did somebody say "Power trail?"

Edited by SD Rowdies
Hey, I see the survey is yielding results! Starting May 2nd PQ's will contain 1000 caches instead of 500. :D

Hooray! Now you don't have to use two PQs to get all the caches for a 24 hour power trail record attempt!

:huh::blink::ph34r:

Gosh, did I miss a record attempt? :)

Yep! I was going for a new record of 780 caches found in a 24 hour period. It was close but I didn't quite make it. I was 769 caches short of the mark.

I probably shouldn't have slept in...

Well, your numbers are not that terribly off compared to the German dude that said "The Third Reich will last a thousand years!" He was only off by 988 years... and now he's taking a long nap...

Howdy all?

Night Hunter

Hey!!!!

How are those size 14 hiking boots doing? I sure miss following them to caches!

Got any Kettle Korn??? I missed Christmas this year.

Your Pal,

Janie :huh: ..........oh, & Steve too! :blink:

Howdy all?

Night Hunter

I don't know about the usual suspects ... there seems to be quite a few unusual ones in here if ya ask me!

;)

Unusual people in the Geocaching Community? That is not very unusual at all :lol:

Howdy all?

Night Hunter

Hey, Sean, how's it goin'? Good to see you checking in. I see you just logged some caches out in Santee that you found last summer. Does that mean you're back in the game? Lemme know if you wanna do some caching/hiking. Might need a refresher course on urban micros and power trails, though. They're all the rage these days!! :lol:

I would love to say yes, but my comebacks always seem to be short lived.. but lets give it a shot. Sure maybe we can get out sometime again...

Howdy all?

Night Hunter

Hey!!!!

How are those size 14 hiking boots doing? I sure miss following them to caches!

Got any Kettle Korn??? I missed Christmas this year.

Your Pal,

Janie :D ..........oh, & Steve too! :D

Well I think I'm probably about 5 pairs in since the last pair you followed. :lol:;)

Kettle Corn? In April? are you crazy? I'm still recovering... :D Hope to see you next year... Or sooner would be nice ya?

When I started caching in 2004, I could create a PQ of the 500 unfound caches nearest my home and it would expand out 12 miles to highway 67 and Prospect.

Today, I just tested a new PQ of the 1000 unfound caches nearest my home and it only expands out 8 miles. It cuts half-way through MTRP. I live by the 805 and Clairemont Mesa.

Edited by Thunder-4

hey san diego people!

we are moving out of san diego, and there are two puzzle caches of mine in MTRP which i think should keep going. i am looking for someone to adopt one or both of them:

the dude's cache: GCXJ6V - rjbloom is taking this one.

it's a numbers game: GC18821

the third, chopper rescue, i am ok with letting die, but if someone wants to adopt that, too, that would be great:

GCXJ5Q

oh, then there is great googly moogly, which is on the north side of cowles. this also can go away, but is up for adoption:

GCZ49P

thanks!

Edited by ikes

We're pounding away at GC15D0N- SD County "Historic" Cache Adventure which we're enjoying because it's taking us to places we've been to, and wouldn't think of going to.

The next one on our list is GC161- Powder Can Cache (as a virtual) out in Anza Borrego. We're unfamiliar with the desert area, and I'm a little apprehensive about being so far out in the middle of no where walking around with the monkeys. So if anyone has answers to my questions, or has any other thoughts, I'd really appreciate it!

The cache page says to park at N 32° 45.698, W 116° 09.709 and cross the RR tracks. But it looks like there's a better spot further south at 32° 45.477'N 116° 9.542'W, where you'd be able to pick up a trail more easily. Which do you recommend?

The page also says it's a 1.5 mile hike based on the parking spot. But on Google Earth it almost looks like there's somewhat of a road so you could drive a lot closer to the cache. Is that doable, or does crossing the RR tracks make it a non-starter?

Because of the ABDSP no-caching policy, I was also surprised to see a couple other caches in the area ("Mickey Mints" GC15V9J). Is caching in the state park back on, or have the rangers just been ignoring them? Is it bad caching karma to get them since the rangers don't want them there? Should the Power Can Cache be replaced as an actual cache, vice a virtual? We could do it, but don't want to maintain it.

Thanks for the help!

Mrs Bad Squirrel

We're pounding away at GC15D0N- SD County "Historic" Cache Adventure which we're enjoying because it's taking us to places we've been to, and wouldn't think of going to.

The next one on our list is GC161- Powder Can Cache (as a virtual) out in Anza Borrego. We're unfamiliar with the desert area, and I'm a little apprehensive about being so far out in the middle of no where walking around with the monkeys. So if anyone has answers to my questions, or has any other thoughts, I'd really appreciate it!

The cache page says to park at N 32° 45.698, W 116° 09.709 and cross the RR tracks. But it looks like there's a better spot further south at 32° 45.477'N 116° 9.542'W, where you'd be able to pick up a trail more easily. Which do you recommend?

The page also says it's a 1.5 mile hike based on the parking spot. But on Google Earth it almost looks like there's somewhat of a road so you could drive a lot closer to the cache. Is that doable, or does crossing the RR tracks make it a non-starter?

Because of the ABDSP no-caching policy, I was also surprised to see a couple other caches in the area ("Mickey Mints" GC15V9J). Is caching in the state park back on, or have the rangers just been ignoring them? Is it bad caching karma to get them since the rangers don't want them there? Should the Power Can Cache be replaced as an actual cache, vice a virtual? We could do it, but don't want to maintain it.

Thanks for the help!

Mrs Bad Squirrel

Don't know about the closer trailhead, but the "road" is not supposed to be driven upon. But since the statute of limitations has long passed, I can now safely admit having taken the Blue October on that one once or twice. The caches in ABDSP have only been archived as SBA logs are placed on the cache pages by the Rangers, so looking for caches out there may or may not yield a find. The Rangers did remove quite a few a couple years back, but not all of them, but there may be ones that were removed and just haven't been archived. I wouldn't worry about the karma -- but you may not find what you are looking for. I would not recommend replacing the Powder Can Cache with a container -- neither the Pinko Commie nor the Green Alien is likely to approve it. But the area is really cool out there!! So have a blast, and I think the monkeys will enjoy it also, as long as you get to it before it gets unbearably hot... :)

Thanks for the help!

Mrs Bad Squirrel

Don't know about the closer trailhead, but the "road" is not supposed to be driven upon. But since the statute of limitations has long passed, I can now safely admit having taken the Blue October on that one once or twice. The caches in ABDSP have only been archived as SBA logs are placed on the cache pages by the Rangers, so looking for caches out there may or may not yield a find. The Rangers did remove quite a few a couple years back, but not all of them, but there may be ones that were removed and just haven't been archived. I wouldn't worry about the karma -- but you may not find what you are looking for. I would not recommend replacing the Powder Can Cache with a container -- neither the Pinko Commie nor the Green Alien is likely to approve it. But the area is really cool out there!! So have a blast, and I think the monkeys will enjoy it also, as long as you get to it before it gets unbearably hot... :)

All things considered, I personally would prefer that people not drive back there. There are sites of historical interest (in proximity to the railroad camp) as well as archeological sites as well that have been damaged by vehicles. It's better to keep that area to foot traffic.

The hike in from the recommended parking is not that bad. I've hiked there solo without worrying that I was by myself in the middle of the desert. Take water and sun protection and enjoy the hike. There is vegetation with sharp pointy bits, though, so do council the monkeys about the wisdom of watching where they put their feets. And there are creatures of the Crotalus persuasion so council the monkeys about the wisdom of not putting their hands into places that they can't see with their eyes.

I too have been surprised that Mickey Mints survived when other caches were archived. I always figured it was still there because the rangers assumed that no one would be crazy enough to hide it where it is hidden and thus they never found it.

Nobody mentioned that "Powder Can" involved 7 m each way on 4WD/AWD roads. Allie said "this is like a monster truck!". Yowsa!

Thanks for the tips...monkeys made "Powder Can" on their own power (a little bit of shoulders for Nick) but opted out of "Mickey" (Dad soloed...) lots of fun in AZ-B...caching sure takes you places you wouldn't normally go...

Eric of 'Eric and Hill' underwent acute appendicitis surgery last night. He's doing well and is expected to be released sometime tomorrow 5/14.

This will definitely qualify him for the M*A*S*H event - especially if he can bring his appendix in. :blink:

Get well soon buddy!!!

Here's to a speedy recovery! Glad he's doing well! :blink:

Eric of 'Eric and Hill' underwent acute appendicitis surgery last night. He's doing well and is expected to be released sometime tomorrow 5/14.

This will definitely qualify him for the M*A*S*H event - especially if he can bring his appendix in. :blink:

Get well soon buddy!!!

Here's to a speedy recovery! Glad he's doing well! :blink:

101594.gif

Hope we all get to see you at the event, Eric! Feel better!

Barrie

aka: boysnbarrie

This will definitely qualify him for the M*A*S*H event - especially if he can bring his appendix in. :P

Get well soon buddy!!!

Here's to a speedy recovery! Glad he's doing well! :)

101594.gif

Barrie

Thanks all for the well wishes! Its no kidney transplant, but my first surgery ever and I hope to be able to cache again shortly. ThePolarBear and his cub came to the hospital to visit me and I was very grateful of that. Thanks again!

This will definitely qualify him for the M*A*S*H event - especially if he can bring his appendix in. :P

Get well soon buddy!!!

101594.gif

Barrie

Thanks all for the well wishes! Its no kidney transplant, but my first surgery ever and I hope to be able to cache again shortly. ThePolarBear and his cub came to the hospital to visit me and I was very grateful of that. Thanks again!

:P Did he say what I thought he said????

Seriously, Good to hear you're doing great and in good spirits!

Get well soon buddy!!!

101594.gif

Barrie

Thanks Randy! While laying in my hospital bed being prepped for surgery I was really really nervous, but I kept thinking about your ordeal (and facebook postings from you bed), and it really did give me strength. I know I am comparing a Cessna to a 747, but it really did help calm the nerves.

Get well soon buddy!!!

101594.gif

Barrie

Thanks Randy! While laying in my hospital bed being prepped for surgery I was really really nervous, but I kept thinking about your ordeal (and facebook postings from you bed), and it really did give me strength. I know I am comparing a Cessna to a 747, but it really did help calm the nerves.

My gosh, here's a chance to mention the fact that I'm not arranged

internally in the usual way. Found out years ago when being imaged

for a possible ulcer. Condition was called something like situs inversus.

The part about my unusual condition that I most enjoy is that in medical

terms I'm said to be phenotypically unimpaired. Shoot, somethin' had t'

go my way.

The doctor that examined my abdominal images kept flipping them back

and forth on the light-screen. Turns out that my appendix is at upper-left

of the abdominal cavity and down-facing and so drains and thus avoids

appendicitis.

At seventy-five years of age I just couldn't pass up this one and only

chance to bond with a couple of gut-guys. So nice to see that you two

are doing so well. Maybe we should have some T-shirts done ... "I'm

phenotypically unimpaired," that's hard to resist as a Tee-line.

Edited by SD Rowdies

This will definitely qualify him for the M*A*S*H event - especially if he can bring his appendix in. :o

Get well soon buddy!!!

101594.gif

Barrie

:blink: Did he say what I thought he said????

go my way.

appendicitis.

230px-Situs_inversus_-_Mirrored_heart_and_lungs.jpg

Here ya go ol' buddy! :blink: I found a graphic image for yer t-shirt! Yep, I researched this: Situs inversus (also called situs transversus or oppositus). Whoa ... yer oppositus :o ! I'll hafta be more careful not to let you back into me from now on!

Just coz I care,

Barrie

Edited by boysnbarrie

This will definitely qualify him for the M*A*S*H event - especially if he can bring his appendix in. :o

Get well soon buddy!!!

101594.gif

Barrie

:blink: Did he say what I thought he said????

go my way.

appendicitis.

Here ya go ol' buddy! :blink: I found a graphic image for yer t-shirt! Yep, I researched this: Situs inversus (also called situs transversus or oppositus). Whoa ... yer oppositus :o ! I'll hafta be more careful not to let you back into me from now on!

Just coz I care,

Barrie

Thank y' very much Barrie dear ...

b6dc8887-402c-4a57-863d-8415c0681060.jpg

Don't I look swell in my new Phenotypically Unimpaired tee?

The odd thing is that whenever I wear it I always start looking

for final resting places as you can see from the above photo.

So far my favorite spot is just up the hill from the tiny village

of St. Roman de Malegarde in Provence, France.

Unfortunately the spot I chose is already occupied. When they

buried the ol' lady that's in my chosen spot they must have had

a bad set of coordinates. Not sure what to do about that unless

report the problem to that Commie Pinko Reviewer guy. Fact is

that he owes me for some of the suffering he's put me through.

I suppose I should mention here a recent medical finding that

all of the unfortunate victims of Situs Inversus crave PUD cake

as the one and only relief for an inverted gut.

Your pal,

Poor ol' Harmon

SD Rowdies

go my way.

appendicitis.

Here ya go ol' buddy! :huh: I found a graphic image for yer t-shirt! Yep, I researched this: Situs inversus (also called situs transversus or oppositus). Whoa ... yer oppositus :o ! I'll hafta be more careful not to let you back into me from now on!

Just coz I care,

Barrie

Your pal,

Poor ol' Harmon

SD Rowdies

No worries, Harmon, ol' buddy! I've got just the thing for you.

Ahhh, you want PUD cake, eh? Well, it just so happens that I am going to be bringing you one. Yeah, for the upcoming M.A.S.H. Event. I'm glad to help bring relief to your inverted gut.

Ohhh, by the way - now that I've been reducing my sugar intake ... I'm considering entering a whole wheat PUD cake into the contest. Ya know, a healthier version ... with more fiber and maybe iron, too. If I use :) PRUNES instead of pineapple :) ... that'll still count as a PUD cake right? It DOES start with a "P." I sure do wanna do all I can to help yer gut, ol' buddy.

Barrie

go my way.

appendicitis.

Here ya go ol' buddy! :huh: I found a graphic image for yer t-shirt! Yep, I researched this: Situs inversus (also called situs transversus or oppositus). Whoa ... yer oppositus :o ! I'll hafta be more careful not to let you back into me from now on!

Just coz I care,

Barrie

Your pal,

Poor ol' Harmon

SD Rowdies

No worries, Harmon, ol' buddy! I've got just the thing for you.

Ahhh, you want PUD cake, eh? Well, it just so happens that I am going to be bringing you one. Yeah, for the upcoming M.A.S.H. Event. I'm glad to help bring relief to your inverted gut.

Ohhh, by the way - now that I've been reducing my sugar intake ... I'm considering entering a whole wheat PUD cake into the contest. Ya know, a healthier version ... with more fiber and maybe iron, too. If I use :) PRUNES instead of pineapple :) ... that'll still count as a PUD cake right? It DOES start with a "P." I sure do wanna do all I can to help yer gut, ol' buddy.

Barrie

Whole-wheat prune-upside-down cake ... got t' think

about this for a while. Times like this is when I depend

on my pillow for advice. With any luck at all I'll know

what to think about this at about 3:00 a.m. in th' wee.

Hmm, what you said, do you mean to say that we'll be

seeing a petite Barrie some time in the future? Boy do

I hate it when a section of my extensive photo gallery

goes obsolete. On the other hand the many Photoshop

transform options should minimize my loss.

Edited by SD Rowdies

In case you don't have plans yet for tomorrow evening....or if one of the items on your bucket list is to meet Tucson Thompsen, consider enjoying the evening with a bunch of geocachers (TT being one of them) at this event. This is a good opportunity to get hints on puzzles or simply relax and swap stories. Everyone is welcome. Hope to see you there.

Date: Friday, May 21, 2010

Time: 5-9 p.m.

Venue: Giovanni's, 9353 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.,

858-279-6700

Hey, I see the survey is yielding results! Starting May 2nd PQ's will contain 1000 caches instead of 500. :rolleyes:

1000 caches in PQ?! Wow, at this rate I'll never make it into the Penasquitos Canyon Hall of Fame.

That would be Pocket Queries for Garmin GPSrs. I just saw it on the Garmin update page. Not caches in PQ Canyon...

PQGT