The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Myself and some cohorts are working on a cache series of about 50 caches for release this Sunday morning (March 21st), stay tuned for additional info...

By Sat 8p, we'll announce the trail location for the FTF hunters. We're asking for a 6a tee-time.

For now, I'll offer the area is north of the 52 and west of the 67 - some imiginary lines may have to be envisioned. We suggest a bike as the best mode of transportation. It's kid and canine friendly, and spread out among seven miles or so.

San Luis Rey River Trail, in northern Oceanside. It's an official bike trail opened to pedestrian traffic, but no horseback or motorized vehicles. Dogs are allowed on a leash. Trail starts at N33 12.002 W117 23.121 and ends at N33 15.255 W117 17.468 . The reviewers have promised a 6a publication time. I believe the final tally is 49 traditional caches.

Oooh! Sweeet! That's gonna be a trail to look forward to.

FisnJack broke his arm ... is that true?

Yes, he almost stepped on a rattlesnake out in Horsethief area and fell down avoiding it!! But he got FTF!!! I'll let him elaborate...

:lol: I just talked to him. He is ok..has a cast. He said he can't vacuum but he'll be able to ride a bike...Yeah Right! That guy is amazing! He kept on caching...got half a dozen or so before heading to the hospital. That is the 2nd close rattlesnake encounter for Jack this year. The other one was a 6 foot one that he fell onto. :P

Yes, he almost stepped on a rattlesnake out in Horsethief area and fell down avoiding it!! But he got FTF!!! I'll let him elaborate...

:lol: I just talked to him. He is ok..has a cast. He said he can't vacuum but he'll be able to ride a bike...Yeah Right! That guy is amazing! He kept on caching...got half a dozen or so before heading to the hospital. That is the 2nd close rattlesnake encounter for Jack this year. The other one was a 6 foot one that he fell onto. :P

I think they caught the snake

41813bee-c474-457e-acbd-5425cfcb4f8e.jpg

:) I just talked to him. He is ok..has a cast. He said he can't vacuum but he'll be able to ride a bike...Yeah Right! That guy is amazing! He kept on caching...got half a dozen or so before heading to the hospital. That is the 2nd close rattlesnake encounter for Jack this year. The other one was a 6 foot one that he fell onto. :D

Snakes: 2

Jack: 0

:) I just talked to him. He is ok..has a cast. He said he can't vacuum but he'll be able to ride a bike...Yeah Right! That guy is amazing! He kept on caching...got half a dozen or so before heading to the hospital. That is the 2nd close rattlesnake encounter for Jack this year. The other one was a 6 foot one that he fell onto. :D

Jodi, Thanks for the update on fisnjack! I'll also give him a call.

Edited by BlondHiLites

Just like I've always said, really old people shouldn't be out in the hills and canyons

without using one of those new-fangled off-road walkers that feature four beach-balls

instead of four tennis-balls. When it comes to walkers, stability is everything. If you

doubt this advice then just look at the photo below ... professional Geocachers beyond

a certain age should be safe, not sorry.

7c60ea90-8f5f-46a8-a7e8-6d05cb20ed11.jpg

Seems like an odd behavior for encountering snakes ... falling down on them like that.

What's the right behavior one might ask? Why always take pictures for cryin' out loud,

that's what.

My hero!

Can't wait to see a full report from the patient.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Does he need rattlesnake avoidance training? :laughing: Stay safe Jack ;)

Safe is just a four letter word. ;) Jody forgot to mention that I get out of washing the dishes as well. GFETE

You know I've been thinking I seem to have the avoidance down alright; however; the landings do need improvement.

think fisnjack may want to change his name to snakenjack...hope ya feel better

:rolleyes: I need to put out some one-handed caches...Jack is having trouble opening the logs with his cast on!

So is John home?

Couple more Hall of Fame caches just listed for all uv yuz... Hopefully this will tease some of you away from all the numbers caches for a short spell... :laughing:

Iron Mountain Hall of Fame

Mount Woodson/Lake Poway Hall of Fame

Black Mountain Hall of Fame

Sycamore Canyon Hall of Fame

Tecolote Canyon Hall of Fame

Penasquitos Canyon Hall of Fame

Edited by FlagMan

Couple more Hall of Fame caches just listed for all uv yuz... Hopefully this will tease some of you away from all the numbers caches for a short spell... :laughing:

Woo hoo! I might actually have a shot at completing some of these! :P:):)

Woo hoo! I might actually have a shot at completing some of these! :P:):)

I'm just sayin' ... do Sycamore Canyon right

away sos' you get to see the wildflowers.

255c9dea-f992-4129-9228-df11c5f6572d.jpg

And while you're at it ...

da6e39af-5390-4482-b0c3-b148fb9ce114.jpg

Don't miss the Wild Cucumbers (Manroot).

Not delicious by any means but medicinal

and if properly treated you can use them

for fishing without pole, reel, line, hook,

bait, or sinker. Cheaper that dynamite too.

If your use-name is FisnJack and your arm

and elbow is in a cast then you might be

interested in fishing Wild-Cucumber style.

I'm just sayin' ....

Note to Self: Should have mentioned the hide

right beside the cucumber.

Edited by SD Rowdies

A Change of subject...

OK - Here's the deal....

I will be going to Kentucky for the NSRA ( National Street Rod Association ) meeting Aug 3-5.

Will be leaving San Diego, July 30 Driving my Street Rod.

Will be caching along the way. Down Historic Route 66.

Anyone want to go along? I will cover all the costs of the trip.

You cover your expenses, Food + Motel.

Give me a private email, we can chat.

wsmith AT cts DOT com

B):D Today John is caching in the United States of America! The first time in 7 months! :D:D Ok...so not with me but hey..one nautical mile at a time.... :) (yes he already called for a lifeline! LOL)

WoooHooooo!!! Can't wait to see him again!! Hope you guys make the campout!!

:grin::lol: Today John is caching in the United States of America! The first time in 7 months! :D:D Ok...so not with me but hey..one nautical mile at a time.... B) (yes he already called for a lifeline! LOL)

It was happy news when I saw that the BHR had made Pearl...wooohooo!

It won't be long now before we can get back to talking trash about John... :unsure:

Jodi,

You need to get busy girl, spruce up the

yard and house and repair the FJ before

John gets home.

With John home that will surely take some

pressure off of poor ol' me. Yeehaw!

Harmon

:grin::lol: Today John is caching in the United States of America! The first time in 7 months! :D:D Ok...so not with me but hey..one nautical mile at a time.... B) (yes he already called for a lifeline! LOL)

It won't be long now before we can get back to talking trash about John... :unsure:

Jodi,

John gets home.

Harmon

Oh ,yeah, I think we all know how this works out...

With John home, Jodi can place twice as many caches taunting Harmon to the tops of the hills.

Jodi,

John gets home.

Harmon

With John home, Jodi can place twice as many caches taunting Harmon to the tops of the hills.

I'm smiling my smile James ... 'cause FlagMan has

offered to haul me to all the new hides in his hand-

washed, air-conditioned Yeep.

I'll be able to sit in the Yeep the way Tom does while

Nancy roots through the bushes and rock-piles for

our finds. Ain't she th' sweetest thang?

Looks like I'll be joining the upper-crust of local

Geocaching society ... my find-count will soar so

that I'll be amongst the front-runners of finddom.

I've always wondered how it feels to have newbies

serve you at pizza events. Shi-ut, my life will be

complete.

Sweet ol' Harmon,

The Elder

Edited by SD Rowdies

Jodi,

John gets home.

Harmon

complete.

Sweet ol' Harmon,

The Elder

I had been wondering what Tom meant when he said that he "...had figured out a way to get the Yeep unstuck when he drives into a mudhole..." Another mystery solved.

B)B) Today John is caching in the United States of America! The first time in 7 months! B)B) Ok...so not with me but hey..one nautical mile at a time.... :D (yes he already called for a lifeline! LOL)

It won't be long now before we can get back to talking trash about John... ;)

Jodi,

John gets home.

Harmon

complete.

Sweet ol' Harmon,

The Elder

I had been wondering what Tom meant when he said that he "...had figured out a way to get the Yeep unstuck when he drives into a mudhole..." Another mystery solved.

Why I oughta ....

Couple more Hall of Fame caches just listed for all uv yuz... Hopefully this will tease some of you away from all the numbers caches for a short spell... :D

You know what's missing? A HOF cache for those that complete all of these HOF caches! ;)

Couple more Hall of Fame caches just listed for all uv yuz... Hopefully this will tease some of you away from all the numbers caches for a short spell... :D

You know what's missing? A HOF cache for those that complete all of these HOF caches! ;)

Yeah, can't wait to see who makes it on the Super HOF list!!

Yeah, can't wait to see who makes it on the Super HOF list!!

Something tells me it's going to be hard to clear out Tecolote Canyon... B)

Here's a cache in Riverside that probably hasn't been logged in the past 65 years or so....

Photo taken from 33 52.926, -117 15.964

It's a tad west of those coords, under that B-17 you can see clearly in Google's satellite photo.

P.S., the stenciled lettering on the bike says: 97TH BOMB GROUP / FOGGIA / ITALY / STOLL'S GOPHER / 341ST BOMB SQUADRON MAINT".

This is located in the place where people apparently go if the get the wrong solution to that puzzle cache in the middle of Miramar Lake. (Although you won't find any actual caches at that mistaken solution, I, as the son of a member of the WW2 United States Army Air Corps, do recommend March AFB Museum to all radically geeky aerospace fans and anyone else interested in 20th century history.)

(Multiple thread posting)

*** Volunteers Needed ****

I was contacted via SD Geocachers by a Boy Scout leader named John asking for some volunteers.

John is looking for someone to do some training on geocaching at two different Boy Scout events. One event is on Saturday, May 8th at a training meeting from 10 a.m to noon. The second event is at a leader's meeting on Thursday, May 27th at 7 p.m. in the east county.

If you're interested, contact me and I'll put you in touch with John.

Bomb squad in Anaheim goes geocaching.

Orange County Register Article

It doesn't appear that any laws were broken by the men who put the container inside the light pole, Martinez said.

Mebbe LPCs should be against the law?? ;)

Who wants t' go pick 'em all up?

Who wants to go give some lessons on how to be stealth when needed? I mean, seriously ... when you're out in the middle of nowhere and come upon a large shrub, there isn't much need to be stealth. However, when in a busy parking lot chances are there might be people ;) watching.

B) I think someone broke the stealth law, don't you?

Bomb squad in Anaheim goes geocaching.

Orange County Register Article

It doesn't appear that any laws were broken by the men who put the container inside the light pole, Martinez said.

Mebbe LPCs should be against the law?? ;)

Who wants t' go pick 'em all up?

Who wants to go give some lessons on how to be stealth when needed? I mean, seriously ... when you're out in the middle of nowhere and come upon a large shrub, there isn't much need to be stealth. However, when in a busy parking lot chances are there might be people ;) watching.

B) I think someone broke the stealth law, don't you?

After a while I just get in the mood where I think "OK, I drove here, it appears to be in a strip mall, but I might as well stop" and then "I finally found a parking place in this godforsaken strip mall, I might as well grab the cache" and then "there's a lot of people around, I've come all this way, I might as well grab the cache even if people might be looking". I mean, I'll try to be stealthy if the cache is somewhat discretely placed, but if a cache owner puts it in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant, I'm either going to put it on my ignore list or just grab it without trying to be particularly stealthy.

I think people should quit putting them in public places like busy malls and in front of restaurants, and in suspicious places like utility boxes, gas lines, fire hydrants and stuff like that.

Like that's going to happen.

I got an e-mail from GC.com that asked me to fill out a survey - did anybody else get it???

I did and I answered it.

I answered it too... May I ask what you suggested???

I suggested that Virtuals come back, but with restrictions - only in National Parks etc where physical caches are prohibited and also where it's difficult to do maintenance of a cache. Meaning, it has to be in a place less traveled (such as mountain tops).

For my wish list for improvements to the site itself, I would love a feature where I can select an area on a map and make a PQ of the caches inside it. I dont like the circular selection PQs make now. If I want all of Tecolote Canyon I have to delete several caches outside the canyon.

Also (and this should be do-able), on Geocaching.com Google Maps, when clicking a cache and the little window pops up, add "Download a GPX file."

Well, that's my $0.02...

I got an e-mail from GC.com that asked me to fill out a survey - did anybody else get it???

I did and I answered it.

I suggested that Virtuals come back, but with restrictions - only in National Parks etc where physical caches are prohibited and also where it's difficult to do maintenance of a cache. Meaning, it has to be in a place less traveled (such as mountain tops).

For my wish list for improvements to the site itself, I would love a feature where I can select an area on a map and make a PQ of the caches inside it. I dont like the circular selection PQs make now. If I want all of Tecolote Canyon I have to delete several caches outside the canyon.

Also (and this should be do-able), on Geocaching.com Google Maps, when clicking a cache and the little window pops up, add "Download a GPX file."

Well, that's my $0.02...

I did and I answered it.

Well, that's my $0.02...

I requested more PQ's (10/day) and the ability to enter coords to create a pushpin on the google maps while displaying caches. Also, I proposed a total ban on Swedish puzzles because they're too dadgum hard. :rolleyes:

edit...I did not say 'dadgum' the frakking bulletin board edited it for me. Thanks Big Brother!

Edited by Triple Crown

Woo hoo! I might actually have a shot at completing some of these! :blink:;):lol:

I'm just sayin' ... do Sycamore Canyon right

away sos' you get to see the wildflowers.

255c9dea-f992-4129-9228-df11c5f6572d.jpg

And while you're at it ...

da6e39af-5390-4482-b0c3-b148fb9ce114.jpg

Don't miss the Wild Cucumbers (Manroot).

Not delicious by any means but medicinal

and if properly treated you can use them

for fishing without pole, reel, line, hook,

bait, or sinker. Cheaper that dynamite too.

If your use-name is FisnJack and your arm

and elbow is in a cast then you might be

interested in fishing Wild-Cucumber style.

I'm just sayin' ....

Note to Self: Should have mentioned the hide

right beside the cucumber.

THAT'S WILD, FAR OUT, AND OUTTA SIGHT!