The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

If you have been thinking about seeing the Winter solstice double sunrise event on the south slope of Cowles Mountain, now is the time. The last three mornings have been superb and I had the observation site to myself the first two. Reference GCB56F

The MTRP Canyoneers are hosting a guided hike to the solstice site the next three mornings - Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. The extended forecast suggests at least one of them should be clear. Hikes start from Navajo/Golfcrest trailhead at 6 am. Parking the next few days will be competitive so plan on arriving early. Parking is available along Golfcrest if the lot is already full.

Here's a photo from Friday morning.

-GD

ef95b772-d234-41c1-aac3-5ad04392d349.jpg

Edited by Team Gecko

If you have been thinking about seeing the Winter solstice double sunrise event on the south slope of Cowles Mountain, now is the time. The last three mornings have been superb and I had the observation site to myself the first two. Reference GCB56F

The MTRP Canyoneers are hosting a guided hike to the solstice site the next three mornings - Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. The extended forecast suggests at least one of them should be clear. Hikes start from Navajo/Golfcrest trailhead at 6 am. Parking the next few days will be competitive so plan on arriving early. Parking is available along Golfcrest if the lot is already full.

Here's a photo from Friday morning.

-GD

ef95b772-d234-41c1-aac3-5ad04392d349.jpg

Thanks for the great info. Very nice picture.

Okay, hopefully someone down there can help me out. My younger daughter is a little upset that her big sister's travel bug has such a big lead on hers (over 8000 miles at this point). Her travel bug (Kylie's Pink Flower) has been sitting in the same cache east of Alpine for almost 10 months now. If anyone plans on heading that direction, It'd be great if that little sucker could get moved along. I'd do it myself, but it'll probably be a couple years before I get down there again. Thanks everyone.

Tony and Kylie

The Cache:

GCHXXM

Okay, hopefully someone down there can help me out. My younger daughter is a little upset that her big sister's travel bug has such a big lead on hers (over 8000 miles at this point). Her travel bug (Kylie's Pink Flower) has been sitting in the same cache east of Alpine for almost 10 months now. If anyone plans on heading that direction, It'd be great if that little sucker could get moved along. I'd do it myself, but it'll probably be a couple years before I get down there again. Thanks everyone.

Tony and Kylie

The Cache:

GCHXXM

Hmmm, 8000 miles. I just happen to know a way to reduce that in one swoop, but that's after it leaves the cache. I haven't driven that road, and my Buick is probably not the best choice, so if a SD cacher can get the TB to the WeWillDo7 event Saturday, I'll take it off their hands and do my part.

Tony and Kylie

The Cache:

GCHXXM

Hmmm, 8000 miles. I just happen to know a way to reduce that in one swoop, but that's after it leaves the cache. I haven't driven that road, and my Buick is probably not the best choice, so if a SD cacher can get the TB to the WeWillDo7 event Saturday, I'll take it off their hands and do my part.

That road calls for a truck-like conveyance. Small pickups

and SUVs, cross-overs maybe, but a challenge for family

cars. Recent rain may have muddied things up a bit as well.

Of course lots of Geocachers do like a challenge.

Harmon

SD Rowdies &

Sandy Creek Cowboys

Tony and Kylie

The Cache:

GCHXXM

Going to Australia, are we? :D

I need the cache a mile up the trail; but, don't know if I will make it up there before the event. In any event, I'll grab it if it's still there when I go - hopefully, within a month.

Edited by Chuy!

T’was The Night Before Cachemas

Twas the night before Cachemas, when all through the house

Not a computer was stirring, not even a mouse;

The caches were submitted to Geocaching.com with care,

In hopes that the reviewers would soon be there;

The cachers were nestled all snug in their beds,

While visions of ammo cans danced in their heads;

And momma in her beanie, and I in my cap,

Had just settled down for a long winter’s nap,

When on the phone there came some texts,

I sprang from the bed to see what was next.

Away to the netbook I flew like a light,

Tore open a browser and pulled up the site.

The backlight on the keyboard of the new open window

Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below,

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But new cache listings from eight reviewers

With a little old hider, so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment it must be Cache Nick.

More rapid than eagles his caches were approved,

I whistled and shouted and was so moved:

“Now Mnt-Man! now Cache Effect, now Krypton and Max Cacher!

On Keystone, on Nomex! on Hemlock and Roadrunner!

To the top of the queue! to the top of the call!

Now cache away, cache away, cache away all!”

As dry leaves that before hurricane fly,

When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,

So up to the cache-site the FTFers they flew,

With a bag full of swag, and Cacher Nick too!

And then in a twinkling, I heard en-route,

The prancing and pawing of each cachers boot.

As I drew on my headlamp and was turning around,

Down the trailhead Cacher Nick came with a bound.

He was dressed all in fleece, from his head to his foot,

And his clothes were all stuck with twigs and soot;

A bundle of swag he had flung on his back,

He looked like a newbie just opening his pack.

His coins, how they twinkled, his travelers how merry!

His camo was like roses, his hides on my Cacheberry!

His small little micro was drawn up like a bow,

And the regular was quite the show;

The stump of a tree he held tight in his grip

And the logs it encircled his cache a barrier strip;

He had a five star difficulty and a three star terrain,

That confounded me and gave such pain!

The cache was stocked and had such wealth,

I laughed when I saw it, in spite of myself;

A lift of the skirt and a twist of the lid,

Soon gave me to know I was not out-did;

We spoke not a word, but went straight to work

Signed all the logs and turned with a jerk,

And laying the coordinates to the car,

We could tell it was not too far;

We sprang to the cachemobile, to the Nuvi gave a go-to,

And away to the next cache we all flew.

But I heard him exclaim, ere the logs were all signed,

“Happy Cachemas to all, and to all a good find.”

Merry Christmas, Everyone!!

Merry Christmas all of San Diego

I hope all of you are having an great Holiday season

Miss all of my caching family

I'm going through withdrawl....

This is John from somewhere......

Dear John from somewhere.....

We miss you too! Hope Santa found you wherever you may be.

Merry Christmas

Steve & Janie

:):o;):D:D

Merry Christmas all of San Diego

I hope all of you are having an great Holiday season

Miss all of my caching family

I'm going through withdrawl....

This is John from somewhere......

:):o;):D:D

We miss you, too, John!!! Come home soon!!!

Yes, hurry home and straighten your wife out,

she's been pickin' on me.

Note to Self: He'll probably say that I deserve it.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Tony and Kylie

The Cache:

GCHXXM

Got it today. Will see if Pioneer is still in town and we can get a few thousand miles on it.

Got it today. Will see if Pioneer is still in town and we can get a few thousand miles on it.

Thanks a ton 3cds. I really appreciate it.

Tony

No Problem. Happy to help. I have wanted to do that hike anyway. Soon as I hear from Pioneer, I will get him the cache....or just move it on

Vintage San Diego Cache in Jeopardy

My name is Hid Pro Quo. Some of you may remember meeting me and my girlfriend, Kathleen, at event caches, etc. over the years. I have been far less active in the San Diego caching scene ever since I began teaching computer classes on Holland America cruiseships. However, I still consider San Diego home.

Anyway, I need some advice. My cache, OB Offshore mystery cache (GC37FD), has been around since February 2002. This week, a cacher from the Vegas area posted a "Needs Archiving" post on the cache's page. This was quickly followed by Marko Ramius archiving it.

The issue seems to be the virtual nature of this multi-cache's final location. You see, after having trouble with maintenance of a physical cache at the site of the final, I decided to allow a photo or emailed proof of a visit (i.e. a password) to suffice. After consulting with several area cachers, I left the cache type as a multi-cache. There weren't many multi-caches back then.

So, I made this change in September of 2002. Subsequently, as you are no doubt aware, the "no new virtuals" rule was implemented.

I have never had any trouble with it as labeled and no one has ever complained. In fact, quite the opposite has occurred. It has been found by many over the years. Heck, it has been found several times in the last month and was even found earlier this week! It appears on a number of "favorite cache" lists and many people have told me it is one of their favorites in San Diego.

I think every sport benefits from some history and tradition. As such, I believe that, as one of the older active caches in San Diego, OB Offshore is worth preserving.

What are your thoughts? Is preservation of this cache worth pursuing or should I just let it go?

If you feel that it is worth pursuing, then any advice on how would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

John Roberts

Hid Pro Quo

SEAingtheworld.com

My name is Hid Pro Quo. Some of you may remember meeting me and my girlfriend, Kathleen, at event caches, etc. over the years. I have been far less active in the San Diego caching scene ever since I began teaching computer classes on Holland America cruiseships. However, I still consider San Diego home.

Anyway, I need some advice. My cache, OB Offshore mystery cache (GC37FD), has been around since February 2002. This week, a cacher from the Vegas area posted a "Needs Archiving" post on the cache's page. This was quickly followed by Marko Ramius archiving it.

The issue seems to be the virtual nature of this multi-cache's final location. You see, after having trouble with maintenance of a physical cache at the site of the final, I decided to allow a photo or emailed proof of a visit (i.e. a password) to suffice. After consulting with several area cachers, I left the cache type as a multi-cache. There weren't many multi-caches back then.

So, I made this change in September of 2002. Subsequently, as you are no doubt aware, the "no new virtuals" rule was implemented.

I have never had any trouble with it as labeled and no one has ever complained. In fact, quite the opposite has occurred. It has been found by many over the years. Heck, it has been found several times in the last month and was even found earlier this week! It appears on a number of "favorite cache" lists and many people have told me it is one of their favorites in San Diego.

I think every sport benefits from some history and tradition. As such, I believe that, as one of the older active caches in San Diego, OB Offshore is worth preserving.

What are your thoughts? Is preservation of this cache worth pursuing or should I just let it go?

If you feel that it is worth pursuing, then any advice on how would also be greatly appreciated.

John Roberts

Hid Pro Quo

SEAingtheworld.com

being that there are no cattle grates (inside joke) nearby and no qualms made by local cachers I vote that this cache remains...but it's gonna be tough with two administrators putting their thumbs down...But who knows, maybe a kind gesture in light of a New Year dawning will turn the tide...good luck

John Roberts

Hid Pro Quo

SEAingtheworld.com

being that there are no cattle grates (inside joke) nearby and no qualms made by local cachers I vote that this cache remains...but it's gonna be tough with two administrators putting their thumbs down...But who knows, maybe a kind gesture in light of a New Year dawning will turn the tide...good luck

I agree with kwvers - it's definitely one of my favorites, and the final location is awesome! I wish we could have virtual caches again, as this would be a prime candidate.

John Roberts

Hid Pro Quo

SEAingtheworld.com

I agree with kwvers - it's definitely one of my favorites, and the final location is awesome! I wish we could have virtual caches again, as this would be a prime candidate.

I imagine that if an actual cache container were replaced at the final location and the cache page edited to remove the "virtual" logging language, the cache could be unarchived and it would remain as a multi so long as it was properly maintained. It will never be unarchived in its current state, though, since virtuals are no longer accepted on the GC.com website.

BTW, I would be happy to place a container and take over cache maintenance, if Hid PRo Quo would like me to adopt over the cache to me...

Edited by FlagMan

John Roberts

Hid Pro Quo

SEAingtheworld.com

I imagine that if an actual cache container were replaced at the final location and the cache page edited to remove the "virtual" logging language, the cache could be unarchived and it would remain as a multi so long as it was properly maintained. It will never be unarchived in its current state, though, since virtuals are no longer accepted on the GC.com website.

BTW, I would be happy to place a container and take over cache maintenance, if Hid PRo Quo would like me to adopt over the cache to me...

By Golly I think Flagman may have the answer,,,

<snip>

We should make him a Reviewer.

Yea!!!! and get rid of the "Pinko Commie" as Harmon would say...Always looked like a pink elephant to me though....

Don't worry about that Commie Pinko. I've got lots of dirt on him. I can get him to do pretty much anything I want... :)

micky%20mouse%20animation%20happy%20new%20year%20card.gif

A happy New Year! Grant that I

May bring no tear to any eye

When this New Year in time shall end

Let it be said I've played the friend,

Have lived and loved and labored here,

And made of it a happy year.

~ Edgar A. Guest

See y'all next year!

boysnbarrie

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!! May 2010 be an awesome caching year. We have a goal to reach 4,000 by the end of the year.

micky%20mouse%20animation%20happy%20new%20year%20card.gif

A happy New Year! Grant that I

May bring no tear to any eye

When this New Year in time shall end

Let it be said I've played the friend,

Have lived and loved and labored here,

And made of it a happy year.

~ Edgar A. Guest

See y'all next year!

boysnbarrie

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!! May 2010 be an awesome caching year. We have a goal to reach 4,000 by the end of the year.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Health, Happiness, and lots of Smileys!!!

BTW: My "San Diego Geocachers" sticker is peeling off the window on my Jeep. Can someone send me a replacement?

edit: tag repair

Once the sticker wears out, the first person with the name kwvers! gets the Jeep! It was time for you to get a new one anyway...

Sure I got one, need your address e-mail me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

BTW: My "San Diego Geocachers" sticker is peeling off the window on my Jeep. Can someone send me a replacement?

edit: tag repair

We can send you one Moose...........Need an address and a disclaimer from you...........

That, NO pictures showing said sticker will be taken with that Green Jeep stuck in the sand again.............

Maybe I'll have Flagman write this up just in case!! :P

The Splashes :rolleyes::)

<snip>

We should make him a Reviewer.

Yea!!!! and get rid of the "Pinko Commie" as Harmon would say...Always looked like a pink elephant to me though....

Don't worry about that Commie Pinko. I've got lots of dirt on him. I can get him to do pretty much anything I want... :rolleyes:

Whaddaya? ... some kinda Pastafarian?

fdfde217-c11f-4576-9332-0a80911234fd.jpg

Before

--------------------

2c5cf12c-1f03-4a7b-a42c-44218c2c0c85.jpg

After.

Thanks TF!

:P What a brown-noser. Hey do you have room for a NV J&J? :anibad:

Yep - send enough for both sides and two other vehicles. The Moose would need one as well.

Oh - ammo cans if you got 'em. I could use 100 if I could get that many.

I have sad news to report - the loss of another geodog. Bubba, BlondeHiLite's beloved Rottweiler had a tragic accident and passed away Friday. I had the pleasure of hiking with him, as did Ginger! and Mocha!; for a big boy, he had a mellow but confident disposition.

Rest in peace Bubba.