The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I'm already paperless with my Palm, but like the idea of being able to load 5000 waypoints in the Oregon.

Hmm, 5,000 waypoints. Let me think ... that would be a load of ten

pocket-queries and if I do five caches each day for every day in the

year then I'll have enough waypoints loaded for about two years and

nine months of Geocaching. I'm wondering how stale the hides would

be before five thousand waypoints get used?

Ain't technology grand?

Should I ask Santa to bring me a Garmin Oregon this year for Christmas to replace my trusty 60csx?

I'm already paperless with my Palm, but like the idea of being able to load 5000 waypoints in the Oregon. Does the Oregon, with its firmware updates, now have all the features of the 60csx?

I love my Oregons. I convinced the wife I need two of them, a 300 and a 550 (the latter holds 5000 caches and has the camera). Really nice to have just one device instead of fumbling with the GPSr and a palm. I think the 60csx gets better reception, but not so much better that I'd use it over the Oregon. So, yes, have Santa stuff your stocking with an Oregon, I'm sure you'll be satisfied!

D!

BTW, James, do you have a link to that third party Oregon bike mount?

Edited by Duncan!

Seems like the best setup would be a GPS that would show exactly where you are on the cache map on the GC website. You could click on any treasure chest to see the cache page. There would never be stale caches because it would all be real time. So wherever you wanted to go every cache would be there without the hassle of constantly downloading multiple PQs. Wouldn't a GPS like that be nice?! :)

Should I ask Santa to bring me a Garmin Oregon this year for Christmas to replace my trusty 60csx?

I'm already paperless with my Palm, but like the idea of being able to load 5000 waypoints in the Oregon. Does the Oregon, with its firmware updates, now have all the features of the 60csx?

I love my Oregons. I convinced the wife I need two of them, a 300 and a 550 (the latter holds 5000 caches and has the camera). Really nice to have just one device instead of fumbling with the GPSr and a palm. I think the 60csx gets better reception, but not so much better that I'd use it over the Oregon. So, yes, have Santa stuff your stocking with an Oregon, I'm sure you'll be satisfied!

D!

BTW, James, do you have a link to that third party Oregon bike mount?

:) I still use a 60CS ( no not 60CSX) and my Palm won't hot synch so I can't even have hints with me... This thread confuses me. I just want to say that Tom sure DNFs enough caches with his sweet little Oregon.......If my Santa was around [:)] I would be happy getting a 60CSX.

Edited by jahoadi and john

Seems like the best setup would be a GPS that would show exactly where you are on the cache map on the GC website. You could click on any treasure chest to see the cache page. There would never be stale caches because it would all be real time. So wherever you wanted to go every cache would be there without the hassle of constantly downloading multiple PQs. Wouldn't a GPS like that be nice?! :huh:

So then just add a Star-Trek transporter and you've got the perfect

Geocaching hand-held, you know, real-time access to the database

and teleportation in lieu of riding and hiking. On the other hand it

should work the other way around ... able to beam a cache container

from any hidey-hole right to your La-Z-Boy recliner.

Also I don't think that hand-helds should be named after States. Hand-

helds as described above should be named after Star Trek characters,

you know, Spock, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura, and so on. O yes, one more

thing, the Seven of Nine model should be anatomically correct.

... and a Phaser attachment to blast nano and micro caches. Anybody

taking this down?

Edited by SD Rowdies
:huh: I still use a 60CS ( no not 60CSX) and my Palm won't hot synch so I can't even have hints with me... This thread confuses me. I just want to say that Tom sure DNFs enough caches with his sweet little Oregon.......If my Santa was around [ :( ] I would be happy getting a 60CSX.
I still use a 60CS too, Jodi. We don't have many trees in SoCal so it works just fine. I broke my Palm, so I don't use hints anymore either, but I still find 'em. ;)

Seems like the best setup would be a GPS that would show exactly where you are on the cache map on the GC website. You could click on any treasure chest to see the cache page. There would never be stale caches because it would all be real time. So wherever you wanted to go every cache would be there without the hassle of constantly downloading multiple PQs. Wouldn't a GPS like that be nice?! :huh:

taking this down?

Harmon, I didn't think that my idea was that far out there... Edited by TrailGators
On the other hand it should work the other way around ... able to beam a cache container from any hidey-hole right to your La-Z-Boy recliner.

But with my luck it would not only beam the cache but also the rattlesnake that was sitting on top of the cache.

... and a Phaser attachment to blast nano and micro caches. Anybody taking this down?

OK, now you've got my attention...!

taking this down?

Harmon, I didn't think that my idea was that far out there...

For sure, I'll bet navigationall devices go that way and are already doing so for

military forces. Still, it gave me a chance to think outside the box of sensibility.

On the other hand it should work the other way around ... able to beam a cache container from any hidey-hole right to your La-Z-Boy recliner.

But with my luck it would not only beam the cache but also the rattlesnake that was sitting on top of the cache.

... and a Phaser attachment to blast nano and micro caches. Anybody taking this down?

OK, now you've got my attention ...!

Cool, snakes beamed into your lap has got t' beat that ridiculous

reality-television nonsense. The best part is that you wouldn't get

a snake all that often so it wouldn't become boring after a while.

Besides, think about it from the snake's point of view.

Wonder how the product-safety warning label would read for such

a device? Shoot this idea is sounding better all the time, really, I'd

start buying them as Christmas presents to send to some of my

special Geocaching pals. Might be a good way t' slow down a few

of them danged front-runners so's we can catch 'em before 2012.

Hmm, I wonder, how fast do y' think FATTBOY can get up from a

La-Z-Boy recliner? You know, considering that he gets stuck with

his truck so often.

Note to Self: Self, check your spelling before LLOT starts raggin' on it.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Seems like the best setup would be a GPS that would show exactly where you are on the cache map on the GC website. You could click on any treasure chest to see the cache page. There would never be stale caches because it would all be real time. So wherever you wanted to go every cache would be there without the hassle of constantly downloading multiple PQs. Wouldn't a GPS like that be nice?! :(

taking this down?

Harmon, I didn't think that my idea was that far out there...

For sure, I'll bet navigationall devices go that way and are already doing so for

military forces. Still, it gave me a chance to think outside the box of sensibility.

I look forward to testing the Seven of Nine model someday.... :huh:

Edited by TrailGators
I just (yesterday) got the Oregon zip-tie mount for my bike. Haven't taken it out yet, but it seems plenty solid...

The nice thing about a mount that uses a clamp is that you can torque it down so that it doesn't rotate as you bounce down the trail. With zip ties there are limits to how tight you can get the thing.

Also, having had long experience with zip ties used to hold the sensor wires and magnets for bicycle computers, I know that, sooner or later, zip ties will break. It might take a couple of years but they will break. Guaranteed.

And by the way, the tighter you get the zip ties (see first gripe) the sooner they will break (see second gripe).

The thing that I don't understand is why they didn't take the Oregon clip (used with the zip tie mount shown above) and combine it with the standard clamp that they have used for every other Garmin GPS for the last 10 years. The same clamp that I have on my handle bars will accept the mount for the Etrex, for the 60 and for my ancient GPS III+. But it won't accept the mount for the Oregon. Bah! That's just stupid.

FWIW, I just took the bike with the new mount for a ride and the mount performed flawlessly. The grip is tight but with some flex and everything stayed in place nicely...

In case I come up missin' one of these days I want y'all to know

that it was Jodi that tried t' lure me into the stray-round impact

area that's east of the Miramar Air Station weapon ranges and

north of Santee Lakes.

Mind y', I'm not complainin' about the fact that Jodi has been

tryin' t' kill me over th' past year by puttin' out Harmon caches

along every heart-stoppin' trail she could find. O no, I don't mind

the exercise but, please, the phrase "stray-round impact area"

just don't seem like th' kind of thang an old man should be

exposed to.

... just so y'all know,

Harmon

Note to Self: Christmas Wish List: Body armor f'r shore.

Edited by SD Rowdies

north of Santee Lakes.

exposed to.

... just so y'all know,

Harmon

;) So now you're afraid of a few stray rounds? I thought you were so old and leathery that body armor was just wasted weight? ;) Besides, I'll have you know that I moved all those caches to almost wheelchair accessibility. There isn't even a one of them on a hill! It was really hard for me to do that!

:D Rumour has it that after Friday I have to place just 1/1 caches...I think the first one will be "75? That's 3/4 of a century!" I'm gonna miss the heart pumping hills, but I hear Fisnjack is still only 74 so he'll probably still climb my hills!

north of Santee Lakes.

exposed to.

... just so y'all know,

Harmon

;) So now you're afraid of a few stray rounds? I thought you were so old and leathery that body armor was just wasted weight? ;) Besides, I'll have you know that I moved all those caches to almost wheelchair accessibility. There isn't even a one of them on a hill! It was really hard for me to do that!

:D Rumour has it that after Friday I have to place just 1/1 caches...I think the first one will be "75? That's 3/4 of a century!" I'm gonna miss the heart pumping hills, but I hear Fisnjack is still only 74 so he'll probably still climb my hills!

Jodi darlin', how you talk.

So the question is "What important event occurred on December 11th?

Right, on December 11th of 1941, America declared war on Japan. How's

that for a special day?

December 11th, 1934, was a day of suffering for my mother. She delivered

me while alone in a railroad section-hand shack outside Abilene, Texas. No

hospital, no doctor, no midwife, no birth certificate, and nobody including my

father present for the event. Well, except for my thirteen month old brother

that I've never known, he was there for my mom to look after as well.

On my fortieth birthday my mother decided to tell me that "Your father, the

[s.O.B.], was out riding his motorcycle with another woman when you were

born." One of the worst parts for my mother was that I was a twelve-pound

baby.

A few years before my mother died she did some oil paintings at my urging.

One of her paintings depicted her recollection of the shack that I was born in,

a fact that I learned only after my step-dad died and Sandy mentioned that

he had told her about the subject of painting.

9eb88eab-d807-49d5-b45d-6570898bebfa.jpg

No "conveniences" and during the heart of the Big Depression. For the two

years following my birth my mother was a railroad cook on a section train

while my actual father worked with a crew repairing railroad trestles and

bridges. There was a small compartment in the cook's car that we lived in,

so I was told.

Edited by SD Rowdies

north of Santee Lakes.

exposed to.

... just so y'all know,

Harmon

Just for the record, Harmon has not always needed the lure of Jodi's caches to be lured into harms way (as witnessed by this log for GCJ7TJ).

I have to wonder, though, whether any of those stray rounds were put there by Harmon in the first place...

Whew! that was a lot of hiking for a mere three finds. Reminds me of the early days of Geocachng.

Started at Medina Trailhead and scored two other caches southwest of this one. Plenty of ups and downs from that direction. Marched back out toward Santee Lakes and got busted by a road and trail maintenance crew that lectured me about being on military property.

I simple charmed them into some friendly conversation. It helped the conversation to have worked at Camp Elliot during the fifties and to have driven Sherman tanks around these canyons long ago. You know, old-guy gab.

Problem with not retracing my route was that I had to plod all the way through the Santee Lakes complex to Mast Boulevard and thence back west and then north to the Madina Trailhead. Made for a longer hike than necessary.

I rewarded myself with an ice-cream bar and a large Squirt at the Santee Lakes Store. Sat in the shade and ate the ice-cream bar while drying the sweat out of my socks and tee. I gave some thought to stuffing an ice-cream bar into each sock for a cool finish on a hot day.

Did I have fun? Yes I did.

Harmon of SD Rowdies

north of Santee Lakes.

exposed to.

... just so y'all know,

Harmon

Just for the record, Harmon has not always needed the lure of Jodi's caches to be lured into harms way (as witnessed by this log for GCJ7TJ).

I have to wonder, though, whether any of those stray rounds were put there by Harmon in the first place...

Whew! that was a lot of hiking for a mere three finds. Reminds me of the early days of Geocachng.

Started at Medina Trailhead and scored two other caches southwest of this one. Plenty of ups and downs from that direction. Marched back out toward Santee Lakes and got busted by a road and trail maintenance crew that lectured me about being on military property.

I simple charmed them into some friendly conversation. It helped the conversation to have worked at Camp Elliot during the fifties and to have driven Sherman tanks around these canyons long ago. You know, old-guy gab.

Problem with not retracing my route was that I had to plod all the way through the Santee Lakes complex to Mast Boulevard and thence back west and then north to the Madina Trailhead. Made for a longer hike than necessary.

I rewarded myself with an ice-cream bar and a large Squirt at the Santee Lakes Store. Sat in the shade and ate the ice-cream bar while drying the sweat out of my socks and tee. I gave some thought to stuffing an ice-cream bar into each sock for a cool finish on a hot day.

Did I have fun? Yes I did.

Harmon of SD Rowdies

Cripes, my past comes back to haunt me ... at least my stories are

consistent. Worse yet I worked at the Camp Elliot Nuclear Weapons

Facility during the mid-fifties. Yep, atomic and hydrogen bombs right

where the old water tower still stands today alongside I-15. After an

old F-7U aircraft crashed into the nuke-compound and later an F-8

crashed onto the rifle range just behind the shop building they later

thought things over and relocated the facility to Oakland. It was kind

of exciting that day manning a fire hose inside a flaming warehouse

full of A-bombs and H-bombs.

The F-7U ended up by sliding into our parking lot and roasted all but

two of about forty parked cars. One of the two survivors was my little

Nash Rambler station wagon that had the aft end of the aircraft

fuselage bridged over the hood of my car while resting on larger cars

parked beside it.

There was one eye witness to the crash who said that the pilot was

standng up in the cockpit as the aircraft hit the ground. The pilot

roasted amongst the wreckage.

James, you win the Sherlock-Holmes award for December, wise guy.

Stray rounds you say? ... I know nothing.

Edited by SD Rowdies

parked beside it.

You have the greatest stories!

parked beside it.

:) Don't encourage him Ron!

parked beside it.

Won't have to worry about him too much longer, Jodi!! He's OLD!!!!

Happy 75th Birthday, Harmon!!!!

parked beside it.

Yes he is but we can only hope to be doing what he as done at that age.

Rock on BIRTHDAY BOY.

Also a little birdie told me Tom that sunday is your big day. :P:laughing::laughing:

Edited by Team Fatman

parked beside it.

Rock on BIRTHDAY BOY.

Also a little birdie told me Tom that sunday is your big day. :P:laughing::laughing:

My body's old but I don't care,

'Cause I don't need no easy chair!

Say, did I ever tell y'all that once upon a time I had

supper almost every night with George Jones?

Thanks for the ... ? ... admiration?

Sweet ol' Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

parked beside it.

Rock on BIRTHDAY BOY.

Sweet ol' Harmon

Hey I thought at our ages we quit having Bdays

Happy Birthday

parked beside it.

Rock on BIRTHDAY BOY.

Sweet ol' Harmon

Hey I thought at our ages we quit having Bdays

Happy Birthday

0002017B.gif 75 now that is old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's some sad new for all ... Jodi has worn herself out by tryin' t'

wear me out. For cryiin' out loud, she's stopped placing hides up

along mean mountain trails and is now placing them in parking lots

and even curbside.

Looks like I finally whupped th' ol' gal. What next Jodi, an LPC series?

I'm shore gonna miss that ol' gals fightin' spirit, yes I will.

How sad,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

and even curbside.

How sad,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

OMG!!! Harmon, how COULD you!! Better polish your hiking boots, buddy, 'cause the dam's about to break!!!

and even curbside.

How sad,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

OMG!!! Harmon, how COULD you!! Better polish your hiking boots, buddy, 'cause the dam's about to break!!!

Man also it's going to be slippery with all of this rain :D:D:D

and even curbside.

How sad,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

000202F6.gif

What am I gonna do? I am trying and trying to respect my elders ( really really elderly in this case :D ). That old man turned 75 for crying out loud! He's all washed up..he's 3/4 a century, and he's pine-ing for his younger years..... and now I do believe he's lost his mind...can you imagine taunting me like that? He whupped me? Talk about a twisted tale. Oh my Oh my....I think I better go look at Google Earth!

and even curbside.

How sad,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

000202F6.gif

What am I gonna do? I am trying and trying to respect my elders (really really elderly in this case.)

That old man turned 75 for crying out loud! He's all washed up..he's 3/4 a century, and he's pine-ing

for his younger years ... and now I do believe he's lost his mind ... can you imagine taunting me like

that? He whupped me? Talk about a twisted tale. Oh my Oh my ... I think I better go look at Google

Earth.

Jodi darlin' please don't remind me of my younger years 'cause it will brang t'ars to m' eyes. Don't

forget that I came from a dirt-poor beginin' ... my family was so poor that they couldn't afford to buy

me hands 'til I was five years old. Had t' eat with m' feet, don't y' see, so keep on bein' nice and one

day there's shore t' be a little place in Heaven just f'r you, you know, lookin' after what's left of me.

Sweet ol' Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

and even curbside.

How sad,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Harmon, Harmon, Harmon...

Have you never heard the phrase, "It's always calmest before the storm...?"

and even curbside.

How sad,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Harmon, Harmon, Harmon...

Have you never heard the phrase, "It's always calmest before the storm...?"

Uh-oh, the storm hit once again just north of Santee. My feet already hurt.

I have a favor to ask...

Does anyone own the Dharma and Greg dvd set, and could I please borrow them for a day or two? I'd take really good care of them!

Thanks, Sue

Are you gonna make another puzzle?

O no! ... not another puzzle cache. I can't stand it.

Actually, I was trying to solve one, but it turns out I found the information from another source, so I don't need the dvds anymore.

But...I am working on a new puzzle with Harmon's help! Did he forget to mention that??? :)

I have a favor to ask...

Does anyone own the Dharma and Greg dvd set, and could I please borrow them for a day or two? I'd take really good care of them!

Thanks, Sue

Are you gonna make another puzzle?

O no! ... not another puzzle cache. I can't stand it.

Actually, I was trying to solve one, but it turns out I found the information from another source, so I don't need the dvds anymore.

But...I am working on a new puzzle with Harmon's help! Did he forget to mention that??? :)

Rats! now you've gone and done it, I'm found out.

Edited by SD Rowdies