The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I want to let you all know that we have lost another GEODOG.

FATTDOG aka BUBBA passed away this morning he was 13 years old.

His water boy was FATTBOY aka BOBBY.

FATTDOG become a member Aug. 13, 2004 and had 409 finds.

:o:sad::lol::lol::lol:;)B)B)

a14b136a-74ee-43e1-acfe-5cd25790707.jpg

There's a special place in heaven

That's been reserved

For all the dogs that so faithfully served

Those of us whose hearts are bereaved

When our place on earth they must leave[/color]

8ef97e2f-d7a9-4c6d-9398-465fcf0ed3f.jpg

What a handsome fella!! I bet Chelsea would have liked him!

We're very sorry for you loss :lol:

:lol::o:sad::lol::lol::lol:;)B)

That's been reserved

Thanks Piglet for putting some pics of FATTDOG. B)

Some one has stolen the JET ENGINE.

6845002b-197d-499c-8987-dd41c19b1388.jpg

Picture was taken by daveulmer The FTF and the guy that hid the first Cache and started all this craziness

T. R. Violin couldn't find "THE" Jet Engine (Traditional Cache) at 11/11/2009

Log Date: 11/11/2009

Made the long drive out here with RCTRECKER to finally score this cache. Bummer!! The engine is gone! Like not here anymore. I visited the other Jet Engine Cache a few years ago and could see the engine in the distance. I can't imagine somebody putting it in their truck and driving off, but................................

000203D9.gif

Edited by SKILLET
Some one has stolen the JET ENGINE.

6845002b-197d-499c-8987-dd41c19b1388.jpg

Picture was taken by daveulmer The FTF and the guy that hid the first Cache and started all this craziness

T. R. Violin couldn't find "THE" Jet Engine (Traditional Cache) at 11/11/2009

Log Date: 11/11/2009

Made the long drive out here with RCTRECKER to finally score this cache. Bummer!! The engine is gone! Like not here anymore. I visited the other Jet Engine Cache a few years ago and could see the engine in the distance. I can't imagine somebody putting it in their truck and driving off, but................................

000203D9.gif

Now what

:P:P:D:D:(:P:):D

Rest in peace FATTDOG.

413b4c64-a430-4ab3-a094-e4b5b637bd79.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about FATTDOG!! :D:D:o

:):):D:P:):D:D:D

That's been reserved

What a handsome fella!! I bet Chelsea would have liked him!

We're very sorry for you loss :)

Bubba and I are sorry for your loss :( RIP Bubba

Do you like games? Announcing the Games People Play puzzle series. Have fun!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fc-92a4ff22d15b

What, no lawn darts?!?!? :) Looking forward to the challenge!! Sounds like a great holiday diversion!! Might be a while for me, though, with the campout this weekend and work starting to heat up a bit...

What!? You have a job!?

Let's see...I have a job now. And because of it, I have no time to work on these puzzles. Or, I could neglect my job to work on the puzzles. And then I won't have a job any more. And then, I'll have more time to work on these puzzles...

Hmmm...I'm beginning to see a logical solution to this conundrum...

These puzzles look so interesting that I think I'm going to quit my job and work on them. :)

The only puzzle that I think I can solve is the Scrabble one but nothing else.

I'm messing with the Backgammon one, mainly because I've always enjoyed Backgammon... :)

The series final was found by Stookeybaker followed shortly by LLOT. Congrats!

What, no lawn darts?!?!? :) Looking forward to the challenge!! Sounds like a great holiday diversion!! Might be a while for me, though, with the campout this weekend and work starting to heat up a bit...

What!? You have a job!?

Let's see...I have a job now. And because of it, I have no time to work on these puzzles. Or, I could neglect my job to work on the puzzles. And then I won't have a job any more. And then, I'll have more time to work on these puzzles...

These puzzles look so interesting that I think I'm going to quit my job and work on them. :)

I'm messing with the Backgammon one, mainly because I've always enjoyed Backgammon... :)

Get_Smart5.jpg

What!? You have a job!?

These puzzles look so interesting that I think I'm going to quit my job and work on them. B)

I'm messing with the Backgammon one, mainly because I've always enjoyed Backgammon... :D

Get_Smart5.jpg

ftfz.jpg

Is this guy doing the Safety Dance? In puka shells? With a house arrest bracelet?

Thanks for a brilliant series RJBloom & Co! I may be a noob, but I knows a good puzzle when I sees it.

P.S. Agent 99 is hot, even with a bowl cut

Edited by Stookeybaker

John

Good to talk to you. We are bringing a special TB from Fl to release out there hoping to get MILES. The freshman at The Acad. of Enviromental Sciences in Crystal River, Fl have a hefty mission goal for this bug. so it needs great exposure. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Our daughter lives very near(.1 mile ) GC1JKE7.

Also do you know the Laura Croft cache (is 5/5) We think we might try to work it into our visit. We can't remember the cache GC#

THX from Debi and Mike

Can anyone help with this? If so let me know ?

John

Good to talk to you. We are bringing a special TB from Fl to release out there hoping to get MILES. The freshman at The Acad. of Enviromental Sciences in Crystal River, Fl have a hefty mission goal for this bug. so it needs great exposure. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Our daughter lives very near(.1 mile ) GC1JKE7.

Also do you know the Laura Croft cache (is 5/5) We think we might try to work it into our visit. We can't remember the cache GC#

THX from Debi and Mike

Tomb Raider GCWD13

John

THX from Debi and Mike

Tomb Raider GCWD13

Thank you now where should they place the TB?

John

THX from Debi and Mike

Tomb Raider GCWD13

Thank you now where should they place the TB?

Getting to the final for that cache (Tomb Raider) will take several hours from the posted coords, just so you know...

Me and my girlfriend would be down for a meet up, and a San Diego thread sounds like a great idea. Have you guys noticed a TON of the Geocoins and TBs are freakin missing from around San Diego ( 6 in balboa, 4 in la jolla that I came across today and yesterday!!) I say we all should really try to set those guys wild again, or at least let someone know where they are at. Seriously though, when's the next meet up. I just started caching 2 weeks ago and I'm only to about 20 finds, but I really want to get to know some locals. My girlfriend and I are SUPER obsessed and would participate whenever we could.

Me and my girlfriend would be down for a meet up, and a San Diego thread sounds like a great idea. Have you guys noticed a TON of the Geocoins and TBs are freakin missing from around San Diego ( 6 in balboa, 4 in la jolla that I came across today and yesterday!!) I say we all should really try to set those guys wild again, or at least let someone know where they are at. Seriously though, when's the next meet up. I just started caching 2 weeks ago and I'm only to about 20 finds, but I really want to get to know some locals. My girlfriend and I are SUPER obsessed and would participate whenever we could.

Welcome to the addiction, next Event is the 5th Annual Christmas Lights Geo-Walk . LINK 00020263.gif

Great news - on the third attempt for his kidney transplant operation everything went well today. Thunder-4 (Randy) had been to Sharp two times previously for his transplant. The first attempt he had an infection and they couldn't do the operation. The second attempt his brother (the donor) was sick and they couldn't do the operation. Today was their third attempt, and great news - the operation was a success. I visited Randy this afternoon and he is cheery, excited to have his new kidney (which is working great), and looking forward to getting out of the hospital and getting back to caching for recovery.

Randy will be in Sharp Memorial Hospital until next Tuesday (12/01) when he will be released in the morning. Randy is in room 524 West, and ask that you call before coming so he can tell you his schedule (treatments continue over the next few days) - his number in the hospital is (858) 939-2524 and he likes visitors. Please, if you are not feeling 100%, or if you are around anyone who is sick, please visit by phone only.

Again, praises for his successful surgery and prayers for his quick healing. :laughing::laughing:

Great news - on the third attempt for his kidney transplant operation everything went well today. Thunder-4 (Randy) had been to Sharp two times previously for his transplant. The first attempt he had an infection and they couldn't do the operation. The second attempt his brother (the donor) was sick and they couldn't do the operation. Today was their third attempt, and great news - the operation was a success. I visited Randy this afternoon and he is cheery, excited to have his new kidney (which is working great), and looking forward to getting out of the hospital and getting back to caching for recovery.

Randy will be in Sharp Memorial Hospital until next Tuesday (12/01) when he will be released in the morning. Randy is in room 524 West, and ask that you call before coming so he can tell you his schedule (treatments continue over the next few days) - his number in the hospital is (858) 939-2524 and he likes visitors. Please, if you are not feeling 100%, or if you are around anyone who is sick, please visit by phone only.

Again, praises for his successful surgery and prayers for his quick healing. :laughing::)

Here, here!!! :laughing::lol::P

Again, praises for his successful surgery and prayers for his quick healing. :PB)

Here, here!!! B):D:D

Great news! :unsure:

Again, praises for his successful surgery and prayers for his quick healing. :PB)

Here, here!!! B):D:D

Great news! :unsure:

I received the following email from Randy this morning - thought I would share it with his cacher friends:

Hi,

Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that surgery was an absolute success!!

As soon as they connected the new kidney, it started producing urine. Everything is going great. I'm in a little pain but the pain killers are keeping me pretty comfortable. My brother, Dustin is doing great too. He is on a different floor but he was able to walk down and visit me for a while.

I'll be here until Tuesday at the earliest.

I'm at Sharp Memorial Hospital in room 524 and I have my cell phone on and with me.

Take care,

Randy

Again, praises for his successful surgery and prayers for his quick healing. B):santa:

Here, here!!! :D:DB)

Great news! :P

I received the following email from Randy this morning - thought I would share it with his cacher friends:

Hi,

Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that surgery was an absolute success!!

As soon as they connected the new kidney, it started producing urine. Everything is going great. I'm in a little pain but the pain killers are keeping me pretty comfortable. My brother, Dustin is doing great too. He is on a different floor but he was able to walk down and visit me for a while.

I'll be here until Tuesday at the earliest.

I'm at Sharp Memorial Hospital in room 524 and I have my cell phone on and with me.

Take care,

Randy

That's wonderful news! :unsure:

Just wondering if anybody is planning on going to Geo Woodstock VIII on July 3........in Carnation, WA????

It would be a great trip if we could all stay at the same place, or at least near each other.

I think that reservations will need to be made shortly to assure rooms, etc.. They have hotels, etc. on the registration page that you can access from the cache page. GC1QM7K..............

What do ya think???

The Splashes

Just wondering if anybody is planning on going to Geo Woodstock VIII on July 3........in Carnation, WA????

It would be a great trip if we could all stay at the same place, or at least near each other.

I think that reservations will need to be made shortly to assure rooms, etc.. They have hotels, etc. on the registration page that you can access from the cache page. GC1QM7K..............

What do ya think???

The Splashes

We're hoping to go, and making reservations now would be a good idea! Anywhere is fine with us, just let us know. :angry:

What do ya think???

The Splashes

Sounds great!! And I'm planning on going.

What do ya think???

The Splashes

Shouldn't you two be out hiking today?

What do ya think???

The Splashes

Yep, that was the plan, however...........we don't like mud bogging/hiking.........so hiking hopefully will be tomorrow! Hoping the dirt is soaking up the rain! We'd hate to slide all the way off of Fortuna!

Splashette :angry:

What do ya think???

The Splashes

The Maps are thinking about it! Great area to explore!

What do ya think???

The Splashes

This one is on our list, not sure yet, but this is an area we have been wanting to visit.

What do ya think???

The Splashes

Yep, that was the plan, however...........we don't like mud bogging/hiking.........so hiking hopefully will be tomorrow! Hoping the dirt is soaking up the rain! We'd hate to slide all the way off of Fortuna!

Going for the MTRP Honor Roll are we? Adrenaline perhaps?

I'll never make it even though i've cleared out MTRP maybe eight times

over the past three years. No cell-phone so I'm screwed on the "puzzle"

caches ... ain't gonna happen but I'm a star on more Yrium cards than

anybody else thanks to you sweet lady.

Poor ol' me,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

What do ya think???

The Splashes

Poor ol' me,

Harmon

:unsure: Harmon Ole Buddy...I'll help ya with the puzzles...just tell me the ones you want the answers to...I mean which ones you need a gentle push in the direction towards solving. :lol:

What do ya think???

The Splashes

Poor ol' me,

Harmon

:unsure: Harmon Ole Buddy...I'll help ya with the puzzles...just tell me the ones you want the answers to...I mean which ones you need a gentle push in the direction towards solving. :lol:

O, now I get it, "Had some help" and "Had a hint" means that somebody

gave you the answers. (Head slap!) ... why didn't I know that?

Jodi, you are such a pal to come to my aid. So here's what I'll do, I'll

make a concerted effort to solve the five or six puzzle caches that I

haven't done and if I get stuck I'll holler. What are pals for, huh?

So now I admit to helpiing other's solve some of the technical sort of

puzzle caches and admit that I've had a hint or three passed my way.

Gosh, now I feel so clean and honest. That's a first.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Gosh, now I feel so clean and honest. That's a first.

:D:laughing::anicute::anicute::o

:D I offer to nudge you towards SOLVING the puzzles and you call me a cheater? A quitter and a cheater....well in your own words "I oughta"...and I'm gonna....

Edited by jahoadi and john

:D:laughing::anicute::anicute::o:D I offer to nudge you towards SOLVING the puzzles and you call me a cheater? A quitter and a cheater....well in your own words "I oughta"...and I'm gonna....

Jodi,

No, seriously, I'll make a concerted effort to solve the puzzles and then

welcome your help. Guess I didn't express myself well. One thing for

sure, I know that you and John solve puzzle caches like the champions

you are.

Actually I went right to work and made my MTRP puzzle-cache list. My

guess is that there's one I'll need a nudge on and one that looks like

so much trouble that I'm pretty iffy about even doing it.

Still have a small number of regular caches to catch up on so you've

already given me the nudge I needed to, as they say now in broad-

casting, put boots on the ground in MTRP in the coming days.

Your pal,

Harmon

Note to Self: Self, watch your mouth boy, she's my pal.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Gosh, now I feel so clean and honest. That's a first. [/quo

:anicute::o:D:D:)

:mad: I offer to nudge you towards SOLVING the puzzles and you call me a cheater? A quitter and a cheater....well in your own words "I oughta"...and I'm gonna....

Harmon,

Just wanted to let you know I was on my way home from SKILLET'S Place in the desert and passed Jodi going east on 67 in the FJ so called and talked to her and she said she was on her way to some hill to place a cache for you. :D:laughing::anicute:

Gosh, now I feel so clean and honest. That's a first. [/quo

:anicute::o:D:D:)

:mad: I offer to nudge you towards SOLVING the puzzles and you call me a cheater? A quitter and a cheater....well in your own words "I oughta"...and I'm gonna....

Harmon,

Just wanted to let you know I was on my way home from SKILLET'S Place in the desert and passed Jodi going east on 67 in the FJ so called and talked to her and she said she was on her way to some hill to place a cache for you. :D:laughing::anicute:

OMG! I'm a gonner ... and I was going to wipe out

the MTRP Honor Roll caches this week. "East on 67"

you say ... that's scary.

Thanks for the heads-up ... or is that heads-down?

Harmon

Should I ask Santa to bring me a Garmin Oregon this year for Christmas to replace my trusty 60csx?

I'm already paperless with my Palm, but like the idea of being able to load 5000 waypoints in the Oregon. Does the Oregon, with its firmware updates, now have all the features of the 60csx?

I, for one, have both and use the Oregon exclusively. So, yes, I would recommend the Oregon over the 60CSx...

FYI: I just went to Garmin's website and ran a check for any free map updates that were available for our Oregon 400t. I had City Navigator NT v8 installed.

After running the check, the site said that I was eligible for a free map update. I ordered it, downloaded it, and I now have the most up-to-date version on my computer for free. (v. 2010.30)

I called Garmin for some assistance with the download process and they were surprised that I was able to download this update for free. They said there must be a glitch in the system.

I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but if you have older maps that you haven't updated, you may want to give it a try.

Should I ask Santa to bring me a Garmin Oregon this year for Christmas to replace my trusty 60csx?

I'm already paperless with my Palm, but like the idea of being able to load 5000 waypoints in the Oregon. Does the Oregon, with its firmware updates, now have all the features of the 60csx?

I, for one, have both and use the Oregon exclusively. So, yes, I would recommend the Oregon over the 60CSx...

I've almost completely gone over to the Oregon. It does everything I want it to and it has a few tricks that the 60CSx doesn't (refer to my earlier posts on this forum about loading custom maps, for example.)

The one place where I continue to use a 60 and that is when I want a GPS on my handlebars. This is Garmin's handlebar mount for the Oregon:

cf-lg.jpg

Sheesh! Zip ties? You'd think that they'd design a decent bike mount for the Oregon. So, I continue to use the 60 on the bike. (But I usually carry the Oregon in a pocket or bike bag, too.)

I have just discovered a third party handle bar mount for Oregon. This looks more promising...

RAP-274-GA31-2.jpg

I've almost completely gone over to the Oregon. It does everything I want it to and it has a few tricks that the 60CSx doesn't (refer to my earlier posts on this forum about loading custom maps, for example.)

The one place where I continue to use a 60 and that is when I want a GPS on my handlebars. This is Garmin's handlebar mount for the Oregon:

cf-lg.jpg

Sheesh! Zip ties? You'd think that they'd design a decent bike mount for the Oregon. So, I continue to use the 60 on the bike. (But I usually carry the Oregon in a pocket or bike bag, too.)

I have just discovered a third party handle bar mount for Oregon. This looks more promising...

RAP-274-GA31-2.jpg

I just (yesterday) got the Oregon zip-tie mount for my bike. Haven't taken it out yet, but it seems plenty solid...

cf-lg.jpg

RAP-274-GA31-2.jpg

I just (yesterday) got the Oregon zip-tie mount for my bike. Haven't taken it out yet, but it seems plenty solid...

Endorsment

aa62a7e0-e4cf-41cc-8403-a8b83e4df3b2.jpg

Do I have t' mention the unbunched socks?

Edited by SD Rowdies

The nice thing about a mount that uses a clamp is that you can torque it down so that it doesn't rotate as you bounce down the trail. With zip ties there are limits to how tight you can get the thing.

Also, having had long experience with zip ties used to hold the sensor wires and magnets for bicycle computers, I know that, sooner or later, zip ties will break. It might take a couple of years but they will break. Guaranteed.

And by the way, the tighter you get the zip ties (see first gripe) the sooner they will break (see second gripe).

The thing that I don't understand is why they didn't take the Oregon clip (used with the zip tie mount shown above) and combine it with the standard clamp that they have used for every other Garmin GPS for the last 10 years. The same clamp that I have on my handle bars will accept the mount for the Etrex, for the 60 and for my ancient GPS III+. But it won't accept the mount for the Oregon. Bah! That's just stupid.