The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Now let me 'splain myself here ... I've been with happy women

and I've been with unhappy women; happy is better. So on my

own I would never, ever produce a photo that portrays a woman

in any way but lovely and refined; y'all know what I'm sayin', yes?

Uh...is this what you are sayin'?

939f47c3-ef57-45cb-bf16-870d644a5b98.jpg

d9826c48-06af-4a7b-901b-99e1b898e31d.jpg

c1f1900d-e0ee-4563-abee-8d9f2a84780a.jpg

132caac7-592c-452c-96b0-6a0a11d5dd4f.jpg

067a5728-0875-4560-b5d7-7312e7354db6.jpg

Uhm ... anybody know how to delete Forum Threads?

Thanks a lot James ... know what I'm sayin'?

04cb4b0c-d66c-4a4b-9e59-4aa656667178.jpg

Just leave a message ... I'll be away for a little while.

;) hey that's my cache he's cooking...now I'm mad....Harmon you are in SOOOOO much trouble. Janie is a push-over, but picking on The FatCats? Oh no............how could you?

Ohhh,Myyyy, Gawsh..................

I totally forgot about the time $kimmer and I were arrested by the CHP...............in my driveway!

Then there's the 'Dingy' picture (you know who paid for that one)..........the 'Does this make my butt look big' drive by cache (You know who was banned from all backseat riding after that one), and the most appropriate one is the 'strangulation' pic.............that one was for everyone featured in such a nice way on the forums! There are lots more like that one, but it is the only one caught on film!

Ain't it great to have such a good pal! (??) I can't belive that James found all those............

Splashette :anicute:

Now let me 'splain myself here ... I've been with happy women

and I've been with unhappy women; happy is better. So on my

own I would never, ever produce a photo that portrays a woman

in any way but lovely and refined; y'all know what I'm sayin', yes?

Uh...is this what you are sayin'?

939f47c3-ef57-45cb-bf16-870d644a5b98.jpg

d9826c48-06af-4a7b-901b-99e1b898e31d.jpg

c1f1900d-e0ee-4563-abee-8d9f2a84780a.jpg

132caac7-592c-452c-96b0-6a0a11d5dd4f.jpg

067a5728-0875-4560-b5d7-7312e7354db6.jpg

Uhm ... anybody know how to delete Forum Threads?

Thanks a lot James ... know what I'm sayin'?

04cb4b0c-d66c-4a4b-9e59-4aa656667178.jpg

Just leave a message ... I'll be away for a little while.

:anibad: hey that's my cache he's cooking...now I'm mad....Harmon you are in SOOOOO much trouble. Janie is a push-over, but picking on The FatCats? Oh no............how could you?

Ohhh,Myyyy, Gawsh..................

I totally forgot about the time $kimmer and I were arrested by the CHP...............in my driveway!

Then there's the 'Dingy' picture (you know who paid for that one)..........the 'Does this make my butt look big' drive by cache (You know who was banned from all backseat riding after that one), and the most appropriate one is the 'strangulation' pic.............that one was for everyone featured in such a nice way on the forums! There are lots more like that one, but it is the only one caught on film!

Ain't it great to have such a good pal! (??) I can't belive that James found all those............

Splashette <_<

Like the folks in Indiana would say, I have a spashul relationship with

a number of Geocaching ladies. Ain't they th' sweetest thangs? Truth

be told my main concern is if one day they gang up on me.

Of course Janie is a spashul case as you can see ...

04c9b027-96a7-4c48-829f-1cf2b30881c6.jpg

The hills were alive with the sound of mu-u-u-sic!

Help me out here folks, ain't that a beautiful picture?

Edited by SD Rowdies

For anyone interested, a new series will be published on Saturday, October 31st with 41 caches. The series has nothing to do with Halloween, but costumes are welcome. :D If FTF’s are your goal, plan on being up early. Each cache will be bookmarked for a quick PQ. Bring your bike - and a pen - for mostly flat terrain. (Tweezers may be helpful, too….sorry. :rolleyes: ) I’ll be waiting at the end with coffee, etc. for you early birds. Hope to see you Saturday!!

For anyone interested, a new series will be published on Saturday, October 31st with 41 caches. The series has nothing to do with Halloween, but costumes are welcome. :blink: If FTF’s are your goal, plan on being up early. Each cache will be bookmarked for a quick PQ. Bring your bike - and a pen - for mostly flat terrain. (Tweezers may be helpful, too….sorry. :rolleyes: ) I’ll be waiting at the end with coffee, etc. for you early birds. Hope to see you Saturday!!

Hmmm... How 'bout some Chai Tea Latte for me? :D Sounds like a blast!!! :D:)

Hey Everyone - Just wanted to let you all know that there will be another Flash Mob event on Saturday November 14th - 10:00 am at Balboa Park, near the International Cottages. This is the 6th world-wide event.

We decided kind-of last minute to have one here in San Diego again - but there are already 133+ events planned in 20 countries on the same day and mostly at the same time.

Come and join the fun! Stay after the event to enjoy Balboa Park or join a smaller group to grab some nearby caches.

WWFM VI Event Page

Sonny, Sandy and Sean

Team PodCacher

For anyone interested, a new series will be published on Saturday, October 31st with 41 caches. The series has nothing to do with Halloween, but costumes are welcome. :) If FTF’s are your goal, plan on being up early. Each cache will be bookmarked for a quick PQ. Bring your bike - and a pen - for mostly flat terrain. (Tweezers may be helpful, too….sorry. :) ) I’ll be waiting at the end with coffee, etc. for you early birds. Hope to see you Saturday!!

Hmmm...perhaps I've just discovered what I am doing on Saturday...

What part of town would this be in? Would this be appropriate for roadbike or should I bring a mountain bike. How long will you be waiting at the end? (I don't plan on getting up with the FTF'ers...)

For anyone interested, a new series will be published on Saturday, October 31st with 41 caches. The series has nothing to do with Halloween, but costumes are welcome. :) If FTF’s are your goal, plan on being up early. Each cache will be bookmarked for a quick PQ. Bring your bike - and a pen - for mostly flat terrain. (Tweezers may be helpful, too….sorry. :) ) I’ll be waiting at the end with coffee, etc. for you early birds. Hope to see you Saturday!!

Hmmm...perhaps I've just discovered what I am doing on Saturday...

What part of town would this be in? Would this be appropriate for roadbike or should I bring a mountain bike. How long will you be waiting at the end? (I don't plan on getting up with the FTF'ers...)

This will be in the Ocean Beach/Point Loma area and the caches will be published between 0600 and 0630. Even though a roadbike would work for most of it, you do transition an area where a mountain bike would be preferable. I will be there till about 1000, hoping that the first cachers will be finishing up before 0900 - earlier if they work as a team. The round trip (it's kind of a loop) is about 8 miles. I hope to see you, and others, there, James! :)

Do you like games? Announcing the Games People Play puzzle series. Have fun!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fc-92a4ff22d15b

What, no lawn darts?!?!? :rolleyes: Looking forward to the challenge!! Sounds like a great holiday diversion!! Might be a while for me, though, with the campout this weekend and work starting to heat up a bit...

What!? You have a job!?

Let's see...I have a job now. And because of it, I have no time to work on these puzzles. Or, I could neglect my job to work on the puzzles. And then I won't have a job any more. And then, I'll have more time to work on these puzzles...

Hmmm...I'm beginning to see a logical solution to this conundrum...

What, no lawn darts?!?!? :rolleyes: Looking forward to the challenge!! Sounds like a great holiday diversion!! Might be a while for me, though, with the campout this weekend and work starting to heat up a bit...

What!? You have a job!?

Let's see...I have a job now. And because of it, I have no time to work on these puzzles. Or, I could neglect my job to work on the puzzles. And then I won't have a job any more. And then, I'll have more time to work on these puzzles...

These puzzles look so interesting that I think I'm going to quit my job and work on them. B)

What!? You have a job!?

These puzzles look so interesting that I think I'm going to quit my job and work on them. B)

The only puzzle that I think I can solve is the Scrabble one but nothing else.

What!? You have a job!?

These puzzles look so interesting that I think I'm going to quit my job and work on them. :anicute:

The only puzzle that I think I can solve is the Scrabble one but nothing else.

I'm messing with the Backgammon one, mainly because I've always enjoyed Backgammon... B)

We've all been enjoying or soon will enjoy the new series that Lulu499 placed along the San Diego River. I'm sure folks have noticed how the river is being kept up nicely and that there is 1 mile of new bike path. This is due to the efforts of The San Diego River Park Foundation. The foundation is currently trying to buy more land with an ultimate goal of someday having a trail that will go from the ocean to the mountains.

They are currently trying to obtain a $1 million dollar grant but need to raise some money to get the matching grant.

Please consider making a donation that fits your current life style and ability to give: San Diego River Park Foundation Donation Page

Hi y'all! (translation: 'sup dudes/dudettes)

Been geocaching for about a month, best new addiction I've had since electronic cigarettes. Thanks for teaching me the ropes, I see a lot of the same names popping up in posts and on logs.

Anyhoo, just saying hello.

-Stookey

(repping PB)

Hi y'all! (translation: 'sup dudes/dudettes)

Been geocaching for about a month, best new addiction I've had since electronic cigarettes. Thanks for teaching me the ropes, I see a lot of the same names popping up in posts and on logs.

Anyhoo, just saying hello.

-Stookey

(repping PB)

Pacific Beach, wow, you must be the only Geocacher from PB.

Welcome to our crowd of crazy characters. Make sure to attend

some of the events so's we can size you up.

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

Scary time in the South Bay!!!!!!!!!

Jack,

Thanks for asking. آ I am doing fine now but very nearly died on the trail. When I collapsed, I stopped breathing. آ Minnie got things started again by slamming me into the ground repeatedly, and I was only without oxygen for a couple of minutes. آ Not long enough for brain damage. آ She very literally saved my life. آ Doctors said the pulmonary artery was completely blocked preventing the heart from pumping blood to the lungs to become oxygenated. The major pulmonary event also triggered a minor cardiac event, but it seems that there isn't permanent damage to the heart. آ It was pure luck that Minnie was able to dislodge enough of the clot to get some blood flow past the clot and into the lungs. آ I'll be on anticoagulants for six months to a year. آ After that, I should be as good as new but as long as I'm on the drugs, I have to be very careful not to bleed and not to get bumped in the head. آ I also cannot eat some kinds of foods.

We were on mountain bikes in the Tijuana River Preserve near Border Fields State Park. آ Minnie read GPS coords to the 911 operator, who summoned helicopters to search the trails. آ The helicopters began searching more than a mile away so I had to use my bike to hold me up and walked out to an open area about a third of a mile. آ Minnie talked the fire dept helicopter to our location, where it landed. آ A ranger saw the helicopter land and came over in a van. آ He loaded all of us into the van and took us to the road where an ambulance was waiting. آ The helicopter EMT told me that they are always off the mark when given coords from hand-held GPS units. آ He thinks they use a different GPS protocol than we do.

We're planning on being at WWFM VI on the 14th and will probably see you there. آ Minnie is better at telling the story than I am anyway.

Mike

The helicopter EMT told me that they are always off the mark when given coords from hand-held GPS units. آ He thinks they use a different GPS protocol than we do.

Does anyone else find this statement appalling?

This could be a life or death thing and it's very unlikely that anyone who has a GPS receiver is going to be using anything other that WGS84. Unless some one read off the wrong coordinates, the search should start within 20 feet of the afflicted party.

Does someone have to die before they figure this out?

(BTW, very glad to hear that Mike was found and is doing better...we are always glad to see Mike and Minnie at the events and we'll be doubly glad to see them whenever we see them next.)

The helicopter EMT told me that they are always off the mark when given coords from hand-held GPS units. آ He thinks they use a different GPS protocol than we do.

This could be a life or death thing and it's very unlikely that anyone who has a GPS receiver is going to be using anything other that WGS84. Unless some one read off the wrong coordinates, the search should start within 20 feet of the afflicted party.

(BTW, very glad to hear that Mike was found and is doing better...we are always glad to see Mike and Minnie at the events and we'll be doubly glad to see them whenever we see them next.)

Surely not true, maybe just that the EMT isn't up on GPS issues.

I'll bet that the coords were not understood during the call or

maybe punched in wrong.

Best wishes to Mike on his recovery and also just as important my hat is off to Minnie on being able to properly assist Mike and then keep her cool in order to get the emergency response needed to her location.

As far as the response and the starting location by the air rescue unit we have to understand there are at least 8 different agencies operating in that area from federal all the way down to local emergency response teams. Yes it is a large problem in getting everybody on the same sheet of music as far as knowing what the location is that the caller is sending in that initial phone call. For variuos reasons the 3 different types of response units {air, water, land} use different datum and ways of navigating to that location. The various land units will almost always use WGS84 in some form, albiet just in different formats. The Border Patrol or most of the federal agancies will display theirs in decimal format, we as geocachers use our format, and someone else may use another. This shouldn't be a problem other than knowing what format was called in and being able to convert it to the responding unit's format. There is no difference in the physical location this way, just in the format viewed on the GPS.

The problem is normally at the air/sea level of response. They do not generally use this format due to the size of their area of responsibility. Also they will normally be given information and plot it on the map, then convert it to their on-board GPS. The problem arises out of how new or when their maps were updated, many of the maps still in use haven't been updated as there is no need. These remote areas do not change often enough to keep printed maps up to date. So there is the possibility the responding unit is using an old NAD27 map, this is what can cause an upward of 600 meters variance if not corrected in the conversion.

Is there a fix? Yes, but it is intensive. It starts with that 911 dispatcher and their training, they need to be aware of GPSs and how they are used and the differences between what they are hearing on the phone and what the response unit they are dispatching will need to understand. Is this easily accomplished? Not really, we have to think about that dispatcher. Generally there is a large turnover in that position, it is a demanding job and takes it toll on a person. So the training will have to be ongoing and continuous. Do all the 911 emergency responce consoles have this ability to adjust from what the data the dispatcher hears from the caller into what the responding unit needs, not likely. This would be cost intensive to have every dispatch center able to have this equipment and then again the training to operate it properly.

But we see just the start of why this occurs. Too many possibilties in response entities, the difference in grid and spherical datums, and the sometimes necessity of using one or the other of those datums depending on what you do.

All we can hope for is that there is a calm, collected, aware of their surroundings, and knowledgeable person on the ground at the scene able to compentantly work through all these problems. In effect a Minnie.

--------<snip>------

But we see just the start of why this occurs. Too many possibilties in response entities, the difference in grid and spherical datums, and the sometimes necessity of using one or the other of those datums depending on what you do.

Ok, over-reaction on my part. I was just thinking about what might have happened without Minnie to guide the rescuers in...

Given what I know about navigation, grid/spherical datums, inter-agency coordination, etc. I really shouldn't shouldn't be surprised.

I've already known and accepted that I might not have cell coverage everywhere I am, that I might not have enough juice in my phone to make a call. That I might pass out before I am able to call.

I hadn't really thought about the fact that, even if I am able to successfully transmit my location to a 911 dispatcher, that this might not be adequate given the above complications.

I'd been considering a SPOT transmitter (given my penchant for solo hiking) but that won't solve the problems mentioned above...

Once again, a reminder that technology is not a panacea...

--------<snip>------

Ok, over-reaction on my part. I was just thinking about what might have happened without Minnie to guide the rescuers in...

Given what I know about navigation, grid/spherical datums, inter-agency coordination, etc. I really shouldn't shouldn't be surprised.

I've already known and accepted that I might not have cell coverage everywhere I am, that I might not have enough juice in my phone to make a call. That I might pass out before I am able to call.

I hadn't really thought about the fact that, even if I am able to successfully transmit my location to a 911 dispatcher, that this might not be adequate given the above complications.

I'd been considering a SPOT transmitter (given my penchant for solo hiking) but that won't solve the problems mentioned above...

Once again, a reminder that technology is not a panacea...

Over-reaction, not really; we as avid hikers would like for us to be found if we were to get in trouble. But, in reality the possibilty is there that as it stands it might not happen as quickly as would seem doable. Another good reason not to hike alone. Although I am guilty of this too, very rarely do I hike otherwise, other than Piglit along and she ain't no Lassie, so when I am in that proverbialy well, basically I am stuck there.

So it behooves those of us that enjoy the solo hiking to be aware of our surroundings and somewhat capable of assisting ourself in an emergency situation. Do you know your basic 1st aide, is your CPR certification current? Things like that. That is where people like Minnie come into play, not always your hiking partner, but maybe someone you happen upon. Would you know how to go about getting the proper response in this situation and provided the needed help as she did? I am not even sure I would, although all of my certifications are current. Until you are placed in a situation like this, who knows? Not preaching, just that something along this lines happened in my home with my Grandson a couple weeks ago. He began choking on a piece of food and my Daughter hasn't updated her certifications since highschool, simply dislodging the item was enough. But, if CPR was required, she wouldn't have known the up to date procedures, just the old way of thinking. Needless to say she is now enrolled in the 2 basic courses :laughing:

Technology is great and I am sure it has saved more lives than it has endangered, but garbage in garbage out; best to know how it works and that knowledge needs to be second nature.

The problem is normally at the air/sea level of response. They do not generally use this format due to the size of their area of responsibility. Also they will normally be given information and plot it on the map, then convert it to their on-board GPS. The problem arises out of how new or when their maps were updated, many of the maps still in use haven't been updated as there is no need. These remote areas do not change often enough to keep printed maps up to date. So there is the possibility the responding unit is using an old NAD27 map, this is what can cause an upward of 600 meters variance if not corrected in the conversion.

CTYankee seems to be familiar with this problem, if you ever have an opportunity to influence the usage of old maps, there are some easy conversions that will correct NAD27 to NAD83 within a tollerance of 10 feet. I developed these as San Diego County Surveyor as we began the conversion in the early 80's; I can probably still find them if it would help responding agencies.

Noticed a posting on Craigs List that someone from El Cajon found a Garmin GPS while walking on a dirt road behind Walmart. Doesn't say which particular Walmart but did anyone in the local geocaching community happen to lose a GPS recently.

I'll bet that's the Walmart near Los Coches Road...

Noticed a posting on Craigs List that someone from El Cajon found a Garmin GPS while walking on a dirt road behind Walmart. Doesn't say which particular Walmart but did anyone in the local geocaching community happen to lose a GPS recently.

Hey Lostguy... Saw a note that you'd be at the Geo Ocotillo Campout. Looked for you. Were you there?

I think it's a different format they are using - probably minutes-seconds whereas we use only minutes. When I ran into a Border Patrol agent at Horsethief last year, he was using UTM. He didn't know the difference but I did and changed my format to read off the coords to him of a group of illegals I had run into. The moral of the story is to make it clear to the dispatcher what format you are using.

Minnie is our hero!

I think it's a different format they are using - probably minutes-seconds whereas we use only minutes. When I ran into a Border Patrol agent at Horsethief last year, he was using UTM. He didn't know the difference but I did and changed my format to read off the coords to him of a group of illegals I had run into. The moral of the story is to make it clear to the dispatcher what format you are using.

Minnie is our hero!

I think the moral of the story is that Tio Chuy es la migra! Hide la familia!!

Help...

When my Dad passed away last year, we left his computer as it was. Now we need to access it to update our router, but the computer is password protected. Does anyone know how I can access it?

It's a PC, probably running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Thank you!

See what you think of this -

Logon Password Recovery

Thanks, Harmon! I'll give them a try early next week :)

I want to let you all know that we have lost another GEODOG.

FATTDOG aka BUBBA passed away this morning he was 13 years old.

His water boy was FATTBOY aka BOBBY.

FATTDOG become a member Aug. 13, 2004 and had 409 finds.

:);):);):D:ph34r::P:D

a14b136a-74ee-43e1-acfe-5cd25790707.jpg

There's a special place in heaven

That's been reserved

For all the dogs that so faithfully served

Those of us whose hearts are bereaved

When our place on earth they must leave[/color]

8ef97e2f-d7a9-4c6d-9398-465fcf0ed3f.jpg